Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordia Closed
I’m just curious but was old Hindman high school just sitting there vacant ready for students? It would seem an old school like that wouldn’t be kept up with no students in it. How many students at Cordia hs 9-12?
Conductor Wrote:I’m just curious but was old Hindman high school just sitting there vacant ready for students? It would seem an old school like that wouldn’t be kept up with no students in it. How many students at Cordia hs 9-12?

I believe in the low 80s, but that is interesting that Hindman is still being used if it is vacant. Is it technologically ready? It is an interesting and sturdy looking building. I may have to visit. How old is it?
Conductor Wrote:I’m just curious but was old Hindman high school just sitting there vacant ready for students? It would seem an old school like that wouldn’t be kept up with no students in it. How many students at Cordia hs 9-12?

I believe its owned by KCTCS
I'll say this...
I've been in the old Hindman school recently.
I have a hard time believing it's in better shape than Cordia.

Maybe a good cleaning between now and February will do wonders, but I just don't see how much better shape it could be.
Real Badman Wrote:Cordia is a part of the Knott County School System....Cordia students have the option to go to Knott County Central or June Buchanan. If they're feeling lucky go the catholic route and hit up Piarist.

I would imagine if Cordia closes a lot these students would try to go to Perry Central or Hazard.

Cordia is basically on the Knott/Perry line. Unless they need a bus, most parents would probably drive them to the closer school.

Distance from Cordia
Hazard - 11.3 miles
Perry - 9.1 miles
Knott - 19.2 miles
JBS - 27.6 miles
Letcher is 29.6 miles
Old Hindman High School is owned by HCTC and was partially renovated and was home to the School of Craft which is no longer a grant for.....been a year or two since I’ve been over there....be a lot more convenient for the basketball teams since they play and practice there already
What does HCTC stand for?
Hazard Community and Technical College.
zaga_fan Wrote:I would imagine if Cordia closes a lot these students would try to go to Perry Central or Hazard.

Cordia is basically on the Knott/Perry line. Unless they need a bus, most parents would probably drive them to the closer school.

Distance from Cordia
Hazard - 11.3 miles
Perry - 9.1 miles
Knott - 19.2 miles
JBS - 27.6 miles
Letcher is 29.6 miles

That can’t be the issue though. Closer yeah, but legally if you want to play basketball you go through the transfer process or transfer to Knott as it is a system school
Since Cordia will remain a school just in a different building....you are correct that if any athlete leaves they will have to go through the transfer process....I don’t see any of the basketball players leaving and heard at the game tonight they got two more players eligible today that will play against Bourbon tomorrow....should make things interesting
If Cordia is moving to Hindman then I can't see anyone being eligible this season. If the school closes after this year, then they would be eligible at Knott but not anywhere else without going through the transfer process.
There are only about 70-80 high school students and some are from other areas, so there wouldn't be that many students moving around. I'd imagine the ones who need bus transportation would go to Knott. The others would probably drive to Perry or Hazard.
All that is happening from what I've gathered is that Cordia is just relocated to a different building. They are not shutting down. They will still exist as a separate entity with their own school, athletics, and facilities. In the event that the board closes the school at the end of the year, then the students would naturally end up at Knott County Central. In this case, the students would be eligible immediately because Cordia would now be "Defunct" and no longer exist as a separate entity.

Think of it as if the school had a major disaster and had to relocate at least temporarily while the building was rebuilt. They have to move and make due with things on at least a temporary basis.

However, I wonder what Knott County will do now?
OhHereWeGo Wrote:All that is happening from what I've gathered is that Cordia is just relocated to a different building. They are not shutting down. They will still exist as a separate entity with their own school, athletics, and facilities. In the event that the board closes the school at the end of the year, then the students would naturally end up at Knott County Central. In this case, the students would be eligible immediately because Cordia would now be "Defunct" and no longer exist as a separate entity.

Think of it as if the school had a major disaster and had to relocate at least temporarily while the building was rebuilt. They have to move and make due with things on at least a temporary basis.

However, I wonder what Knott County will do now?

This is correct.

For the community's sake, I hope they find a way to make the repairs and get things back to normal next year.

Now, I hope it doesn't come to this, but I guarantee you the kids find their way back home or to neighboring schools if it shuts down. Some will go to Knott Central.

Yes, they will have to go through the transfer process. But the transfer process didn't stop Chris Hudson from transferring from Cordia to Hazard. I doubt any of them would have to wait very long for eligibility.
[Image:

]

#wherearetheylocated More mash taters please!!!