Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox Central @ Clay County 09/30/16
I like Ed but saying a career assistant with one year head coaching experience should mentor somebody is just stupid.
Bird Wrote:I like Ed but saying a career assistant with one year head coaching experience should mentor somebody is just stupid.

Ed was the best choice last time around. If any that same group tries to apply again they need to sit under Ed for a couple of years, simple as that. He's a career assistant that has learned a lot about the game over the years. To me that's the obvious choice.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Ed was the best choice last time around. If any that same group tries to apply again they need to sit under Ed for a couple of years, simple as that. He's a career assistant that has learned a lot about the game over the years. To me that's the obvious choice.

He hadn't been on a staff in MANY years. Great guy and you have to give him credit for stepping into a bad situation. To say he needs to mentor someone is just a little ridiculous when he must be mentored himself. Nothing against Ed at all, just a little confused about experience, specially recent experience. If someone is hired for this coaching position, it needs to be a coach that has experience in building a program. If Ed stays 25 years, I'm fine with that, too. It's called "on the job" training. Stability might just be critical. Whatever happens, credit to the players and staff for displaying some grit and determination last night. For now we will have to settle for "moral victories"!
Walter you are probably right. I don't even know if we are a four year rebuild anymore. We may be looking more into the 6 year range and with the sorryness that is running rampant in our county now I don't know if we are producing enough of the quality type of kid to be successful every year. What happened to the huge numbers we had in August? Seems like I remember 60-70 kids being talked about.
Personally great guy. Not the head man though.
Clay County has produced some excellent teams in the past. Hope to see them get back to that point. Football will always be second to basketball there.
If Wayne County can do it, there should be no reason it can't be done at Clay County. You could argue that it hasn't been that many years ago that the program at Clay was ahead of Wayne. A very hard look needs to be taken at what Coach Thompson and staff have done at Wayne to build their program. Would be a great blueprint to follow at Clay.
Best wishes with your program. The county schools in our area suffer from many cultural problems. The rates of addiction and kids raised by someone other than their parents have affected this area's sports severely. Football in particular due to the sheer numbers needed to have a successful program. Some of the more successful programs in the area have the advantages of industry creating growth, or cannibalizing other schools programs in the county. In some of the communities here, we don't have growth except at the bottom of the socioeconomic spectrum. Sports, especially football with it's "hard work" demand aren't things these kids have been exposed to at home. Also, it's Ky and everyone in our community thinks "little Johnny" is going to play for Coach Cal even if he is 5'9". The rise of "one sport" athletics have decimated the programs as well. Whatever Coach Thompson has done is a great blueprint, and I commend him. I hope Clay can replicate it for the good of the kids there. I believe football is a great teacher of life lessons