Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/13
Maynard has done a great job so far. Won the district last year, won the region last year, beat Ashland last year, and beat Ironton this year. The losses to Fleming and Raceland were a step in the wrong direction, but I will give him a pass and just expect better results next year. A good showing at Belfry would go a long way towards making Russell fans feel better about this season. Had McGlone been kept, though, none of the first four accomplishments would have happened. The program was headed in the wrong direction.
Gotta take my Pirates here. Haywood wins #400 with a running clock in the 3rd quarter.
i think TJ has done a good job. Numbers are up. Off season conditioning is much better.

The Fleming loss was a fluke combination of taking a team lightly and playing in weather conditions that evened the playing field.

I don't think TJ has a stand off personality and though he is louder and more in your face I haven't seen him cussing kids. That's not to say some language isn't used but cussing kids makes it sound like he is belittling them. That is not the case. He's hard on his players but so was McGlone. Just in different ways. McGlone was more subtle but man he could cut you down.

What cracks me up is the same people who complained about the Wing T, two tight ends and a cloud of dust, offense that coach McGlone ran and wanted a more wide open modern offense now complain about the spread offense Maynard runs for not being physical enough, not having tight ends and running the ball between the tackles. Both of which are completely false. I loved the Wing T that Ivan ran and it was an effective offense until his final year. The spread TJ runs is very multidimensional. You can do a lot of different things out of it run or pass, shotgun or QB under center.
It's unfortunate TJ comes in with the new alignment. There are a lit of really good programs in 3a now. It would have been tough for McGlone to have had the same success with all these programs. This is just my opinion. We will just have to see if TJs system Will work at Russell. I did see a big jump in the passing game this year. Just look at the numbers. I believe once the kids really understand this system and with the the wt and conditioning program, they will compete a lot better with the top teams in 3a. As far as the constant hollering, I personally don't like it, but if the players are ok with it that's all that matters if it can't be changed.
Historical night for Haywood..Players will put it all on the line and be way to much for Russell.

Belfry 45
Russell 14
Drew Bultynck is a player to watch in this game for Russell. I think he needs to play well for Russell to have a shot. Especially considering that Mitch Redden's status for this week is unknown. Drew got a great push up the middle and wreaked havoc against Ironton. When he's fired up, he's a handful. He needs to be fired up on Friday.
Belfry's too much for Russell to handle. Game may be close for a quarter or two.....depending whether or not Russell can move the ball ON THE GROUND. Teams must establish the run against Belfry to have a puncher's chance. If the run gets stuffed...so do the Red Devils.

Belfry 38-7
Belfry-35
Russell-0

Belfry is too much and Russell just doesn't have the talent to compete with them this year
First , for the Devils to have a chance they need to keep the Pirates on a long field. This means first downs each series. Failure to do this one thing will be deadly. Last year Belfry was on Devil side of 50 all night.
Second , Belfry has to help the Devils with some fumbles , just like Lawrence Co got. These turnovers have to be turned into points.
This Russell team has talent and can play solid defense. That talent combined will some gifts from the Pirates and some good luck that has been missing all season might just keep the Devils in this game til the end.
On the other hand if Belfry 's offense gets rolling, it will be over early. Rolling for Belfry means first down after first down while punishing the opponent.
Good Luck Devils ..
samson81 Wrote:Drew Bultynck is a player to watch in this game for Russell. I think he needs to play well for Russell to have a shot. Especially considering that Mitch Redden's status for this week is unknown. Drew got a great push up the middle and wreaked havoc against Ironton. When he's fired up, he's a handful. He needs to be fired up on Friday.

Redden was cleared to play on Wensday.
I don't think TJ is stand offish at all. He stays in touch with parents and boosters all the time. I see a lot of substituting coming from Russell in the Belfry game. It's gonna wear on them. Mitch is gonna have to play like a beast along with Drew. Sure would be great to have Sammy in a game like this.
Russell is isn't very good so Greater Tug Valley will hang a running clock on them by halftime. The wild and wonderful pirates will march on easily into the third round of their annual playoff gauntlet and won't be tested until Bowling Green. They are the kings of the AFC South/3A East.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Russell is isn't very good so Greater Tug Valley will hang a running clock on them by halftime. The wild and wonderful pirates will march on easily into the third round of their annual playoff gauntlet and won't be tested until Bowling Green. They are the kings of the AFC South/3A East.

Do they play in the same league as this years "All Tri-State" ASH-land team?Confusedhh:
If Russell takes on the personality as there coach and makes this a street fight they can keep it close. If they come in without a chip on their shoulder it will get ugly. I'm hoping for a repeat of the Ironton game as far as physicality goes. Make it ugly and make it hurt and they have a punchers chance.

Go Devils.
I hope I'm wrong
Belfry 28
Russell 7
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Russell is isn't very good so Greater Tug Valley will hang a running clock on them by halftime. The wild and wonderful pirates will march on easily into the third round of their annual playoff gauntlet and won't be tested until Bowling Green. They are the kings of the AFC South/3A East.

The struggle for relevance is real with this dude lol.

Belfry comes out tonight fired up to get win #400 for Coach Haywood.

Belfry - 42
Russell - 7
Belfry 36
Russell 14
Belfry 56 Devils 21