Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell @ Belfry 11/13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Red Devils return to the CAM for the second round of the playoffs. Who ya got and why?
Coach Philip Haywood goes for #400, should be a historic night at CAM Stadium!
Russell better come out more inspired than they did for PCC or it will be a long night. If they do this can be a game.
McKee seems to be throwing the ball pretty good right now. If they can give him some time they May be able to stay on the field a little longer than last year. Just about every series was 3 and out. Russell has to find a way to slow Ray Horton down. He lived in the backfield last year
McKee seems to be throwing the ball pretty good right now. If they can give him some time they May be able to stay on the field a little longer than last year. Just about every series was 3 and out. Russell has to find a way to slow Ray Horton down. He lived in the backfield last year
Haywood will get his 400 th win. The Devils will be overmatched and simply just outclassed in this game. Belfry remains the model program east of lexington. If Haywood wasn't a class act like Ivan Mcglone was this one would get real ugly for Russell. Devils less than mediocre season ends next week at the CAM.

Pirates: 50 (with Haywood being nice)

Devils: 7 (at best)
Go Red Devils!
Belfry rolls in this one.
Only way Russell wins is if they play a perfect game and Belfry plays like garbage. It will be Friday the 13th and stranger things have happened but outside of Cabell Midland switching into Red Devil maroon Belfry should name the score.
Belfry 49
Russell 14

Corbin is coming Belfry get ready for a showdown.....I Think TongueirateSho
One game at a time. 42-14 Belfry
Belfry and Russel has had some battles in the past.. Looking for the Pirates to take this one. maybe a slow first half and then run away in the 2nd. Belfry 42-14
Pirates roll 49-7.
Russell needs to get the ball in Conley's hands via the passing game. They won't be able to run it on Belfry. Maybe even go all out Hal Mumme style with trick plays, onside kicks, fake punts, basically anything they can dream up. Even with that, though, Belfry wins this one. I'd just like to see the Devils keep it interesting for a while.
Russell better tighten them chin straps down cause Mr. Horton is coming.
Belfry 42
Russell 0
win #400 will not be denied by russell. to much belfry emotion in this game for the devils
Pirates by 28
Belfry 48 Russell 7
Belfry 44
Russell 13
Go Pirates!! 400 wins, WOW
Possible running clock by halftime. Belfry will roll.
Belfry is too much for Russell as much as it pains me to say it. I do hope Russell will get back to the level where they can defeat Belfry again and have a chance at moving on to Bowling Green.

Belfry 42

Russell 10
Russell has the talent right now to compete. This large group of seniors was undefeated as freshman and dominated including against Wheelersburg. Several players have years of experience at the varsity level. This was the group Ivan wanted to stay for combined with the now junior class. Ivan and his staff saw the talent.
This group has struggled more than last year with the change in offense. But the talent is there. Defensively the Devils will compete with Belfry just like last year. The game will likely be lost on the offensive side as it was last year. To many three and outs will wear down the defense.
Long term the Russell kids down thru the JFL will adjust to the spread and the offense will catch up to compete statewide. Maynard has significantly improved the intensity, and conditioning that were clearly lacking in Ivan's last years. This program will get back to the top.
I agree about the defense. That's what I wrote about at the top of this thread. The d just wore out last year because of all the 3 and outs. Russell does have a lot better passing game this year. Hopefully the O can stay on the field a little longer to rest the D. If not it will be a repeat of last year.
I expect this to be a ballgame for a while. I would be surprised to see a score like last years semi final. In the end Pirates give Haywood #400.
Got a feeling theres gonna be an upset!!! Russell by a couple.
Belfry.
28-7 Belfry in a game that never feels in doubt
I hope Russell comes out with the same chip on their shoulder they had against Ironton. In that game they just physically beat up the Tigers. Haven't seen that kind of angry aggression since. If Russell can do that against Belfry we will have a ball game.
I think they thought that would be their last hard game except maybe Raceland. They overlooked West and Fleming. When you beat a team year after year it's easy to do when you're dealing with young kids. Hard for them to realize you can't overlook anyone.
I think Belfry wins pretty easily but we shall see. I thought the purpose of Superintendent Horne and AD Sparks of letting coach Mcglone go was to see the program move forward and attempting to win more state championships. Not saying TJ doesn't know football but his style of cussing the kids, and stand off personality with booster club/parents may wear thin after awhile because it is so much different than what Russell has been used to for decades. I could be off base but curious to see what other Russell fans think. I think the players are fine with Coach Maynard mostly but just don't see the progress over the course of two plus years with him. To me Raceland has a greater opportunity to win state championships with the alignment.
Pages: 1 2