Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Co Consolidation
I would have loved for a unique mascot to have been used. Jaguars with the same color scheme as Jacksonville? No thanks.

Now, if they had done something special to the area, like the Miners or something like that. I would haven been a big fan of that. Black and sky blue would have been better, but I just don't like teal.

The Floyd Central Miners would be a team I could support.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I would have loved for a unique mascot to have been used. Jaguars with the same color scheme as Jacksonville? No thanks.

Now, if they had done something special to the area, like the Miners or something like that. I would haven been a big fan of that. Black and sky blue would have been better, but I just don't like teal.

Miners with the same color scheme as Mingo Central? No thanks.
The issue is the population decline in the area. The KHSAA will be forced to downgrade to 5 or back to 4 classes due to the number of schools consolidating alone.

I will use Pike County as an example. I would use Floyd County, but I'm not as familiar with their history.

1989 you had a total 10 high schools:

Elkhorn City Cougars
Millard Mustangs
Feds Creek Vikings
Virgie Eagles
Dorton Wildcats
Johns Creek Bearcats
Mullins Tigers
Belfry Pirates
Phelps Hornets
Pikeville Panthers

Now you have 6. Grade schools are closing left and right. It's getting ridiculous. This should serve as a wake up call to the KHSAA for the next major alignment. Schools are traveling farther to find games. Phelps would schedule both Allen Central and South Floyd. Now due to the increase in competition and schedule reduction they will probably look for 2 new games completely. 6 classes and declining population is just conter-productive.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Last 4 years enrollment numbers

School 4YR Class
South Floyd 153.5 1A
Allen Central 232.8 2A

COMBINED 386.3 3A

By comparison they would actually fall in this area under current data, a bit higher than I originally thought.

Belfry 380.8
Elizabethtown 381.5
McCreary Central 386.3
Fort Campbell 387.3

Adding in Betsy Layne (218.0) would would put them right in the middle of 5A with current data.

For those questioning why the new school with such "small enrollment numbers"....I believe you're using the numbers above. Those numbers indicate male enrollment only. Does not take account females in the building. KHSAA Classification is based on male enrollment only.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I would have loved for a unique mascot to have been used. Jaguars with the same color scheme as Jacksonville? No thanks.

Real Badman Wrote:Miners with the same color scheme as Mingo Central? No thanks.
HAHA

Yeah you may not be familiar with the schools on the other side of the river... but literally there is a team with that color scheme called the Miners that geographically speaking may be the closest WV school to Floyd County

Honest mistake but it is a funny one

[Image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0bxTXOIgAE9fVy.jpg]
Real Badman Wrote:Miners with the same color scheme as Mingo Central? No thanks.

I don't like the color scheme, but was trying to keep it close to what they currently chose. I think animal mascots are kind of played out. Bulldogs, wildcats, falcons, eagles, tigers. Neat. Cool. Totally not played out. Not at all.

Pick something unique, and I think Miners would be something that fits that very well. Another school uses that same mascot? Well, tell every Wildcat or Eagle mascot.

If it were me, I'd go Miners with silver and red. But it's not me, so they'll emulate an NFL team instead.
Personally I think they should have embraced the two creeks that previously separated them... BEAVER CREEK. Throw it in with their former mascots.... you got:

The Floyd Central Runnin' Beaver Raiders

Big Grin

No controversy there..... HAHA
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Last 4 years enrollment numbers

School 4YR Class
South Floyd 153.5 1A
Allen Central 232.8 2A

COMBINED 386.3 3A

By comparison they would actually fall in this area under current data, a bit higher than I originally thought.

Belfry 380.8
Elizabethtown 381.5
McCreary Central 386.3
Fort Campbell 387.3

Adding in Betsy Layne (218.0) would would put them right in the middle of 5A with current data.
Betsy Layne will not be part of the consolidation. It will be a 2A school still and keep Allen centrals schedule would be my guess. They will not gain 100 students by building the new school because Shelby valley would be closer for most kids that go to south Floyd around the wheelwright area. 90% of those kids would go to Shelby valley so they may move up to 3A after the new school is open when all is said and done.
Just what I said earlier, another Cat? really....Eastern,Ky has had some awesome mascots over the years sad we could not have revisited some of those....
In 1989 Floyd county had I think 7 high schools and 20+ grade schools..
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:Jaguars is the mascot.

Colors, black & teal I think.

Basically, think the Jacksonville Jaguars.

They will have the same colors as Jacksonville same mascot as well
According to the paper they basically took 5-6 kids from the first (when its opened) senior class and let those kids choose from like 5 choices of mascots..Animal,athlete etc..Then the kids went with the colors because it had close to both AC and SF's colors in it. Then the name which is something like 'Floyd central" because it has names from both schools in it..Thats in a nut shell what the article said best I can remember. I may not be completely accurate there but there was an article in the Floyd co times a while back explaining it.
I think its going to be a good thing for Floyd County sports.

Any talk of what they're going to do about coaches? uses current coaches from AC and SF or Open the jobs to anyone?
UK#24 Wrote:I think its going to be a good thing for Floyd County sports.

Any talk of what they're going to do about coaches? uses current coaches from AC and SF or Open the jobs to anyone?

The last two consolidated high schools in the region were Letcher Central (05) and East Ridge (02). Both schools opened the job to potential candidates. I assume FC will do the same.

and forgot about Harlan County in 08.
There volleyball team will be amazing. AC and SF always have great teams. Put them together and they will be scary.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:There volleyball team will be amazing. AC and SF always have great teams. Put them together and they will be scary.

True, AC has a monster program now..
So will this school be ready for next school year? (2016/17).
The consolidation will move McDowell Elementary and Osborne Elementary to South Floyd's campus. This will move McDowell out of the flood zone. Declining enrollment is one part of it, moving the grades schools was the another.
Blacksmith Wrote:Just what I said earlier, another Cat? really....Eastern,Ky has had some awesome mascots over the years sad we could not have revisited some of those....
In 1989 Floyd county had I think 7 high schools and 20+ grade schools..

Floyd County at one time had 10 public high schools (including Auxier and Palmer Dunbar, a black high school located at Tram). From around the late ninteen fifties or early sixties until Allen Central was formed they had 8 high schools (Prestonsburg, Martin, Maytown, Garrett, Wayland, McDowell, Wheelwright and Betsy Layne). Allen Central took in 4 schools in 1972 (Martin, Maytown, Garrett and Wayland) so that left Floyd County with 5 High Schools until South Floyd combined 2 in about 1993 (McDowell and Wheelwright) to cut the number in Floyd County to the present 4 (Prestonsburg, Allen Central, South Floyd and Betsy Layne).

I don't know about the grade schools in 1989, but Floyd County currently has 8 public elementary schools and 2 public middle schools.
Your right:Thumbs:, except I was also counting the Voc school at garth..In 1991 there were 16 grade schools but that's after Tomahawk,Home branch,Osborn,Dwale,Bonanza,Spradlin branch and Spruce Pine had closed...Those were opened until 1985 I know..I think there was 23 or 24 grade schools in 1985..
I was lucky enough to play ball at a lot of these old mountain gyms because I played for Auxier in the 80's..Good times they were..
I just counted what the school board called high schools. I don't know the high count on grade schools but I remember one at Pitts Fork and another at Cold Springs. David also had an elementary school. I think there was also one many years ago around the mouth of Cow Creek, too.
BTW, where was Tomahawk?
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:BTW, where was Tomahawk?

Well I said tomahawk but I actually meant Bonanza over in the head of Abbott..For some reason I always had of mixing up Bonanza and Tomahawk..Home branch was still a two room school house in 85' over in Cow creek..There was a little school in Arkansas creek years ago before my time..Along with Bryant branch in price back in the 40's,Salisbury school earlier than that. One at Banner too but pics and stuff from those real old ones are far few and between.
I remember Home Branch but there was another school on the other side of Cow Mountain. I think it was around John Gordon Goble's former home.
Very upset with name of school and mascot!
Couple ideas ;
South Central High - Raiders
South Central High - Trojans
Floyd Central High - Mustangs
MtnHSFootballFan Wrote:I remember Home Branch but there was another school on the other side of Cow Mountain. I think it was around John Gordon Goble's former home.

Yes, I remember that too. Awesome place
Mastadon89 Wrote:Very upset with name of school and mascot!
Couple ideas ;
South Central High - Raiders
South Central High - Trojans
Floyd Central High - Mustangs

I'm a fan of more obscure names. I think raiders, Trojans, and mustangs are all a bit overused. Basically everything in EKY seems to be some sort of cat these days too. Floyd Central works, although I think South Central does sound better.

South Central Seawolves
Floyd Central Phoenix (Or Floyd Central Flames and use the phoenix as a mascot like Liberty does)
first thing that came to mind for me was.
Floyd Central Beavers (Orange & Black)
I think they should have been the

Floyd Central Colonels since the county is named after Colonel John Floyd
bring back the hellcats
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I think they should have been the

Floyd Central Colonels since the county is named after Colonel John Floyd

Excellent!