Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Co Consolidation
Just saw a old info on it. Just wondering any new info. Colors, mascot, and name? What class do you think they will be in? Future of Floyd Co sports looks promising.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
What schools are suppose to consolidate?
Allen Central and South Floyd will consolidate to become Floyd Central High School
My guess is they will stay in 1A until realignment is done for 2019. Their numbers combined on the last alignment suggest that that they would fall into 3A at some point.
Would they be a 3A school?
If the numbers on enrollment held up through realignment they will most def be 3A with their numbers falling somewhere between Breathitt and Lewis in size.

If nothing else changed I would suspect that they would be moved into District 7 with Breathitt and Magoffin would drop to 2A out of District 7. But we know the changing face of the economy in KY means that more changes in enrollment will happen.
Pikeville be aware. They are installing anti aircraft weapons. The Jetpilot may come down if they get to play 1A with 3A numbers
I am not sure if has been finalized, but the last I heard they would be the "Jaguars". I don't remember the colors.

I think they may keep a 2A status until next realignment due to Allen Central now being classified as 2A.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I am not sure if has been finalized, but the last I heard they would be the "Jaguars". I don't remember the colors.

I think they may keep a 2A status until next realignment due to Allen Central now being classified as 2A.

This is probably most likely. For some reason I was thinking Allen Central was 1A
Jaguars is the mascot.

Colors, black & teal I think.

Basically, think the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Have they started construction?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
AtlPirateFan Wrote:This is probably most likely. For some reason I was thinking Allen Central was 1A

They was until this year.

Mr. Pike Central Wrote:Jaguars is the mascot.

I'm pretty sure you are correct on the colors. I know black, and was thinking teal.
I'm aware that consolidation is usually necessary, I miss the old schools like m.c. napier, whitesburg, and fleming-neon's side-saddle offense.
I think the KHSAA actually learned from the Mercer County and South Warren issues and purposely moved Allen Central to 2A in anticipation. My understanding is this school will take Allen Central's place.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I think the KHSAA actually learned from the Mercer County and South Warren issues and purposely moved Allen Central to 2A in anticipation. My understanding is this school will take Allen Central's place.

If I'm not mistaken the actual enrollment put them in 2A.
I'm pretty sure the KHSAA wouldn't move a school up in class because of a consolidation two or three years down the road.
It seems like Betsy Layne should be included. Even with them, would the school even have 1,000 students?
Last 4 years enrollment numbers

School 4YR Class
South Floyd 153.5 1A
Allen Central 232.8 2A

COMBINED 386.3 3A

By comparison they would actually fall in this area under current data, a bit higher than I originally thought.

Belfry 380.8
Elizabethtown 381.5
McCreary Central 386.3
Fort Campbell 387.3

Adding in Betsy Layne (218.0) would would put them right in the middle of 5A with current data.
HCS Wrote:I'm pretty sure the KHSAA wouldn't move a school up in class because of a consolidation two or three years down the road.
It seems like Betsy Layne should be included. Even with them, would the school even have 1,000 students?

To far to travel for Betsy Layne School District. Prestonsburg would make more sense for that move, but I don't see that ever happening either.
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:Jaguars is the mascot.

yea,for some odd reason they just about copied Jacksonville.Me and my wife were talking about this very subject the other day.They had a chance for a cool new mascot with colors and this is what they came up with? Another cat? Oh wellRolleyes
AtlPirateFan Wrote:If the numbers on enrollment held up through realignment they will most def be 3A with their numbers falling somewhere between Breathitt and Lewis in size.

If nothing else changed I would suspect that they would be moved into District 7 with Breathitt and Magoffin would drop to 2A out of District 7. But we know the changing face of the economy in KY means that more changes in enrollment will happen.

They should be 3A but I think they are headed for district 6. It's a 4 team district and they are much closer to Pike Central, Sheldon Clark, and Belfry than Estill, Powell, Or Morgan. Would make 2-5 team districts if Magoffin took their place in the 2A district.

When is this taking place?
Class of '18 should be the first class. Construction has started.
Did they have any student input on the mascot and colors?
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:To far to travel for Betsy Layne School District. Prestonsburg would make more sense for that move, but I don't see that ever happening either.

I guess so on the Prestonsburg part, but the trip is nothing. There are 30-mile trips for some students at Harlan County and Perry Central.
It doesn't sound right that a school with less than 700 kids would be in 5A, if you added Betsy Layne.
It just seems odd to building a new school for less than 400 students.
This would move the smallest 2A school back down to 1A in 2019.
HCS Wrote:I guess so on the Prestonsburg part, but the trip is nothing. There are 30-mile trips for some students at Harlan County and Perry Central.
It doesn't sound right that a school with less than 700 kids would be in 5A, if you added Betsy Layne.

Huh? Where do you get that there would be less than 400 students? More like somewhere between 700-800 would be my guess.

Add in Betsy Layne and you're looking at probably close to 1200 kids.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This would move the smallest 2A school back down to 1A in 2019.

Trimble County
Ballard Memorial
Newport Central Catholic Mayfield
Betsy Layne

There are the 5 smallest in order.
BigMelon63 Wrote:Did they have any student input on the mascot and colors?

Yes
HCS Wrote:I guess so on the Prestonsburg part, but the trip is nothing. There are 30-mile trips for some students at Harlan County and Perry Central.

Why are only large schools entitled to new buildings?
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the KHSAA 4yr enrollment numbers for football is not the total number of students in the school but the number of Males in the school and most of the time the actual enrollment is ~2x the number listed on the reports.

I seem to remember conversation in the past that Louisville Central as a magnet school actually limits the numbers on male enrollment to keep them in the class they want to be in and that their actual enrollment is somewhere in the 1,100 student range, which is slightly more than Johnson Central.

According to the most recent data I can find on true enrollment

Allen Central 413 Students
South Floyd 306 Students

Combined 719 (Belfry has 736 as a 3A school)

For those curious Betsy Layne has 452.

So if Floyd Central is anything less than 3A in 2019 I will be very surprised and with Betsy Layne (Hypothetically) they would fall in the high 4A to low 5A enrollment zones.
E's Army Wrote:Why are only large schools entitled to new buildings?

Not very many county district high schools are built that small around Kentucky the last 30 years, especially when you have other small high schools in the same county.
It's poor planning in a county with declining population. Floyd consolidated with the new South Floyd 15-plus years ago and now is doing it again.