Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Ridge
jetpilot Wrote:You continue to conveniently forget academics. It's amazing what parents will do to get their kid a better education. I don't believe in kids transferring for sports reasons, and neither does the KHSAA.

So do you.... Mingo County is one of the weakest academic counties in the Eastern United States.

Wink
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So do you.... Mingo County is one of the weakest academic counties in the Eastern United States.

Wink

So that would make it a lateral move transferring into the Pike Co. School System.Wink
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So do you.... Mingo County is one of the weakest academic counties in the Eastern United States.

Wink

And Belfry is one of the worst schools in the state of Kentucky........
Press conference should be at 4PM today at East Ridge HS.
jetpilot Wrote:So that would make it a lateral move transferring into the Pike Co. School System.Wink

region Wrote:And Belfry is one of the worst schools in the state of Kentucky........

Actually Belfry traditionally is a middle of the pack, to lower middle of the pack, Kentucky School and the difference between Belfry and Mingo County is still vast.

Pikeville is a far superior option academically and noone can deny that,,,, in fact even my parents gave me the option of going there. In a way it is a sad thing though as you compare Pikeville to the best schools in other states and they would appear to be sub-par. Academics in Appalachia and parts of the South are bad...real bad...and as bad as they are in Kentucky they are even worse in places like West Virginia and Mississippi.

With that said, just as jp accurately pointed out parents and kids are going to do what gives their the child best chance to succeed. That's why a Ray Kasongo transfers to Pikeville from East Ridge, that's why an entire AAU team essentially plays together at Shelby Valley, it's why a Doctor at Pikeville Medical Center who lives in Floyd County sends their kid to be in Pikeville's Honor Program, and it is why the family of a kid who has a chance to play at the next level moves to Belfry.

The funny thing is no matter how much jp says "they moved for academics"... by far the most athletes per capita who have transferred in the entire Eastern Kentucky Region (save Cordia) has been at Pikeville. To be honest though I don't fault a single one that does this if they feel it is the best thing for them to succeed at the HS level and go to college. If anything the Pike County area needs more than anything right now is for people to get degrees and try to bring industry, outside of mining, back to the area.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Actually Belfry traditionally is a middle of the pack, to lower middle of the pack, Kentucky School and the difference between Belfry and Mingo County is still vast.

Pikeville is a far superior option academically and noone can deny that,,,, in fact even my parents gave me the option of going there. In a way it is a sad thing though as you compare Pikeville to the best schools in other states and they would appear to be sub-par. Academics in Appalachia and parts of the South are bad...real bad...and as bad as they are in Kentucky they are even worse in places like West Virginia and Mississippi.

With that said, just as jp accurately pointed out parents and kids are going to do what gives their the child best chance to succeed. That's why a Ray Kasongo transfers to Pikeville from East Ridge, that's why an entire AAU team essentially plays together at Shelby Valley, it's why a Doctor at Pikeville Medical Center who lives in Floyd County sends their kid to be in Pikeville's Honor Program, and it is why the family of a kid who has a chance to play at the next level moves to Belfry.

The funny thing is no matter how much jp says "they moved for academics"... by far the most athletes per capita who have transferred in the entire Eastern Kentucky Region (save Cordia) has been at Pikeville. To be honest though I don't fault a single one that does this if they feel it is the best thing for them to succeed at the HS level and go to college. If anything the Pike County area needs more than anything right now is for people to get degrees and try to bring industry, outside of mining, back to the area.

Pretty much agree with most of your post other than this, all kidding and trolling aside.
Skeens is at Pikeville and if people would not run and tell everything they hear Allen will still be at east Ridge. Thought they were doing him a favor but could not stand the person carrying gossip. Don't need to use your name on here everybody knows who you are. They want you to have nothing to do with the program. They laugh at you
jetpilot Wrote:Pretty much agree with most of your post other than this, all kidding and trolling aside.

You have to see where my slant is coming from. I am outside Atlanta here their private schools are essentially small colleges (and cost that way), and they have two of the strongest public school systems in the entire country.

The schools in the Northeast are also next level.

Pikeville is a fine academic institution, but it simply isn't up to those levels.

Truth be told the only school in Kentucky that traditionally would be consideredd on those levels would be DuPont Manual. If EKY ever wants to evolve beyond coal corporations controlling the entire region the goal should be Pikeville as the baseline.

On a side note I read a great book flying out and back for vacation you would like jp. It's called "Muck City". It's about Glades Central HS in Florida.
http://www.amazon.com/Muck-City-Winning-...0307888622

This is a program who per capita has produced more Major D-1 players and NFL players than any other area in the country by a vast margin, but is also per capita the leader in homicides, AIDS, and rampant poverty. Though vastly different in socioeconomic diversity, as I read it I saw a lot of paralells to Appalachia.
pugsley79 Wrote:Skeens is at Pikeville and if people would not run and tell everything they hear Allen will still be at east Ridge. Thought they were doing him a favor but could not stand the person carrying gossip. Don't need to use your name on here everybody knows who you are. They want you to have nothing to do with the program. They laugh at you

Huh?
He is talking about me. He unfriended me on facebook because I did not agree with him encouraging Skeens to go to Pikeville even though he is suppose to be an ER supporter. They may laugh at me at ER but anyone in Pike Co who knows you knows what kind of person you are./ Its to bad that when you made
posts on BGR supporting YOURSELF as the best candidate for the Pikeville softball coach that you did not get the job then you could drop the farce that you are an ER fan.
You played a part in Skeens leaving and just because I told Brad it was happening is not running and telling gossip You are simply trying to deflect the blame you carry for the transfers
And as usual you actually know nothing about what you are talking about. Brad ask me to be his stat man for 3 years, just talked to him last night, we are very good friends and the pressure you and your know it all buddies put on him helped lead to this situation. The ER program may not be better off but you all could have done him a favor as he is very happy.
Just got back from ER Talked with a number of coaches. None of them shared your opinion of me. In fact when your name was mentioned their jaws really started flapping.
Did they announce a new coach for ER today? I never heard anything.
Kenneth O'Quinn has been named the interim head coach.
i think the east ridge football program has taken a 6 year step back. biggest loss in history is brad allen, and this is the best randy mccoy and kevin justice could do? what a joke.
Deebo Wrote:i think the east ridge football program has taken a 6 year step back. biggest loss in history is brad allen, and this is the best randy mccoy and kevin justice could do? what a joke.

Coaching in Pike County as a whole is gawd awful, in every sport.

Out of every sport the 5 county schools have, I would hire 6 of the head coaches, SIX! That is out of over 50 head coaches. Most are garbage.
Has the Poster "region" ever had anything good to say about a District 60th school or team? Who does he have a hard-on for?
Time will tell, time will tell.
Big Don Wrote:Has the Poster "region" ever had anything good to say about a District 60th school or team? Who does he have a hard-on for?

Plenty.

Brad Allen was good for ER, and was basically ran off.

I like Mr. O'Quinn, good guy, was a descent coach in his time, given what he had to work with.

East Ridge will not get a coach that is better than or equal to Brad Allen. Whoever comes in will have descent success for 1 year, due to what Coach Allen and staff has built, but after that, all bets are off.

If you think the coaching in Pike County is very good as a whole right now though, you are wrong.
What's Kenneth O'Quinn's background?
Graduate of Haysi, VA
Carson Newman University football player
Coach at Elkhorn City from 68-02
Coach at East Ridge 02-07
Head Coach at East Ridge 2014
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Actually Belfry traditionally is a middle of the pack, to lower middle of the pack, Kentucky School and the difference between Belfry and Mingo County is still vast.

One of the best posts ever on here. Iwould add that it is very hard to find electricians, plumbers etc
History proved you wrong in that statement.