Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to expect in Class AA
:eyeroll:U
strawberryshakeman Wrote:[/B]

I think you'll see the same teams within 2a keep winning. The only change you might see is from the mountain teams. Somerset lost a lot but I'm not counting them out. The younger kids on that team got to be around kids who knew how to win and which will help them along next season. The other teams in the region seem to think they have a legit shot but its Somerset's too loose. NCC will be as strong next year as they were this year. Look for a couple freshman to make a significant impact defensively and at the skill positions offensively. They return 3 starting offensive lineman, as well as, all of their defensive lineman. Say what you want about Caldwell, but they choked this year with a team that was suppose to be world beaters. They'll do exactly what I said they would do this year and overlook someone because of all of the hype Sindelar carries. Its the same thing that Barker had to deal with, he might be a good talent but the supporting cast can't get him there. In the end, its Desales to loose. They are the new number one and until someone knocks them off, look for a repeat.

Seems like thats how all of the classes in KY have become. A few new faces slip in and out of the bottom, and every few years there's a new face that wins the championship or contends for one. I agree, the top ten will look pretty similar, but I think 2A will have the most competitive playoffs next year.
NCC has no other teams in its region. They basically have a bye to the State Semis every year. Put them in any other region and they would not have had the run they have had.
DreamKiller Wrote:NCC has no other teams in its region. They basically have a bye to the State Semis every year. Put them in any other region and they would not have had the run they have had.

Yet since the realignment they have only 2 losses in 2a period. Regardless of the road they've won the big games as well. Somerset had two chances, Caldwell had one. I'll agree they don't play anyone IN their district, they have to go play the NKY powers to prepare themselves. They didnt create the road, they just take advantage of it. I hate to say it but its true. The past two years have been a battle in semi state, and ncc has gotten the better of us both times. I don't think either team was better than the other either year (if anything the jumpers probably had more talent) but NCC executes and makes plays when they need to in order to win ball games.

Enough pumping them up, I'd like to beat em once or twice and get the monkey off our back LOL!
JumperPride1 Wrote:Yet since the realignment they have only 2 losses in 2a period. Regardless of the road they've won the big games as well. Somerset had two chances, Caldwell had one. I'll agree they don't play anyone IN their district, they have to go play the NKY powers to prepare themselves. They didnt create the road, they just take advantage of it. I hate to say it but its true. The past two years have been a battle in semi state, and ncc has gotten the better of us both times. I don't think either team was better than the other either year (if anything the jumpers probably had more talent) but NCC executes and makes plays when they need to in order to win ball games.

Enough pumping them up, I'd like to beat em once or twice and get the monkey off our back LOL!

You are correct, their district is not very good. I also agree Somerset had more talented players the last 2 years, but NCC made plays when they had too. But let me ask you this, Is NCC's district any weaker than Somerset's or Caldwell's? I don't know if its fair to debate who has the stronger district when all 3 teams seem to come out on top every year.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:You are correct, their district is not very good. I also agree Somerset had more talented players the last 2 years, but NCC made plays when they had too. But let me ask you this, Is NCC's district any weaker than Somerset's or Caldwell's? I don't know if its fair to debate who has the stronger district when all 3 teams seem to come out on top every year.

I can't speak for Caldwell, I know there was a little more parody in Somersets district this year. Middlesboro and Danville were both improved.

I'll add to my thoughts on NCC... The thing that makes them so tough to beat in the playoffs Is that they don't make many mistakes. They're disciplined, well coached, and play extremely hard for 48(+) minutes (as we saw in a 2 overtime thriller this year with you guys). You can't scheme around kids who play hard and don't "beat themselves" and in some instances I think our kids have done that. I respect the NCC program even though I don't particularly like them for obvious reasons Smile
A lot of slow teams.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:You are correct, their district is not very good. I also agree Somerset had more talented players the last 2 years, but NCC made plays when they had too. But let me ask you this, Is NCC's district any weaker than Somerset's or Caldwell's? I don't know if its fair to debate who has the stronger district when all 3 teams seem to come out on top every year.

Any stronger? In Somerset's district you have Danville and Middlesboro, and in Cladwell's district you have Nurray High. All 3 of those teams would win NCC's district EVERY year if they traded places with NCC. In the 1st Region, we had 4 teams in the top 10. Region 3 only had 1 team receive votes all year.
It doesn't matter. You play the hand you are dealt. You can't control how good the teams in your districts are. Many of the 2A teams play traditional football schools non-district. That is what you can control and anyone that has any sense will go find some bigger boys to measure up to. Ripping other teams on the quality of their districts is dumb though. Mayfield's district is terrible and nobody says anything. There is a reason.

The great thing about 2A is that while there are some teams everyone knows will be at the top, there are about 10 teams that might be there at the end.
The question isn't how weak someones district is, the real question should be how weak some teams schedules are. Some teams finish the season with only a loss or 2, because of their weak schedule, which often include schools in a lower class as their own. NewCath plays teams in 4, 5, and 6A every year, which only makes them a better team. For the last 2 years people talked about how it was a down season for NewCath because they started the season 1-4, but look where they ended up, in the state championship fame. People didn't take into consideration that those loses were to 4, 5 and 6A. If they had played a schedule like some 2A schools, they would have gone into the championship undefeated. NewCath will be a team to watch, for years to come for many reasons, but mostly because of the tough schedule they have year in and year out.
Onespiritedfan Wrote:The question isn't how weak someones district is, the real question should be how weak some teams schedules are. Some teams finish the season with only a loss or 2, because of their weak schedule, which often include schools in a lower class as their own. NewCath plays teams in 4, 5, and 6A every year, which only makes them a better team. For the last 2 years people talked about how it was a down season for NewCath because they started the season 1-4, but look where they ended up, in the state championship fame. People didn't take into consideration that those loses were to 4, 5 and 6A. If they had played a schedule like some 2A schools, they would have gone into the championship undefeated. NewCath will be a team to watch, for years to come for many reasons, but mostly because of the tough schedule they have year in and year out.

You hit it on the nose !!

IMO, the ability to make a schedule conducive to a team's talent/ability is a very under-appreciated talent in a head coach.

Though much easier for teams like NewCath, DeSales, and CAL to make good schedules (greater density of surrounding schools with a variety of sizes and talent level) than more spread-out rural schools, the importance of doing so is vital to bring a team up to potential. It also needs to be balanced the -other- way in not over-scheduling to a point where injury and/or breaking a team's spirit is possible.

Ideally, a coach wants to create a schedule which pushes his team to the breaking point but NOT past it.
I'll be curious to see who LCA hires as there HC and if that coach can get them back to where they were 4-5 years ago. That's a team that used to have good numbers and a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, but, they've really underachieved the past few years. I'd have to think coaching was a big part of the problem. a right hire here and you've got a sleeping giant ready to awake.

I wouldn't sleep on CAL either. Excellent defensive team last year and another one with good numbers. Throw in that they're very well coached and you have a team that, like Desales, will be good year in, year out. How hard did graduation hit them this year?

OB Catholic was a team that was young last year and was in a rebuilding mode. They should be improved and challenge Caldwell and Murray in Region 1.

If you need a sleeper, look at Butler Co. They may still be a year away, but, there upcoming Jr class was excellent in middle school and they return a lot of starters from this years team.

Teams like W.Verona and Gallatin Co have made great strides in getting there teams to respectability status the last couple of years, but, have they improved enough to be a serious player going forward?

What about Glasgow? Did they lose a lot from this years team? What comes back and should they be better, about the same or worse than this year? They had a lot of talent, just not sure if they were sr dominated or young?
If LCA wants to get back they have to hire a coach the will work with alum in recruiting. Graham would not do it and look what it got him. That is how they got to where they were.
PRIDE101 Wrote:If LCA wants to get back they have to hire a coach the will work with alum in recruiting. Graham would not do it and look what it got him. That is how they got to where they were.

Didn't think Private Schools Recruited?