Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to expect in Class AA
What teams should we be expecting to run the show in 2014? And why?
Caldwell County. They have Sindelar.
E's Army Wrote:Caldwell County. They have Sindelar.

Ya, that's what they thought this year. How did that work out for them?
I thought i saw somewhere that Prestonsburg was junior heavy this past season so they should be pretty good
Caldwell County will be back, and this time they have learned to not underestimate anybody.
If caldwell finds a defense they will be a tough out murray ran it down there throats in both meetings the difference in the 2nd meeting they kept drives going inside the redzone and punched it in also they didnt give up big plays in the 2nd game in the first game they repeatedly got caldwell to 3rd and long and caldwell would throw a 50 yard td the 2nd game murray allowed the short throws and didnt give up the deep pass i knew the 2nd game wouldnt be a blow out win for caldwell
Look for the Champs to be very solid in 2014. We lose Roush, and Byrd, but our last 4 classes have been extremely talent rich. Our Freshman, and JV squads have been dominant the last four years, and we have great numbers, and depth. Look for DeSales to keep it rolling for years to come. We have done really well getting back the kids in the South end who used to go to ST X. Yesterday was the placement test for private schools, we had record numbers. Winning the State Championship and getting all the accolades here in Louisville has been huge. Right now Id see it as a Caldwell vs DeSales game in Louisville.
Don't overlook middlesboro.
Middlesboro loses 3 seniors. Be prepared to hear their names in the buch
Prestonsburg returns 13 that will be juniors, and 14 that will be seniors. They only lose 3 seniors in which 1 only really seen playing time.

Prestonsburg will have a lot to say about how 2A shapes up this coming year.
Sorry, unless they redo the east and west, NCC will once again represent the east. Desalles will definitely be good, but replacing the QB and rb will not be easy. They lose 25 seniors, most of which played significant time. If Caldwell learns how to play defense, they will be the favorite in the west and probably all of 2A. Let's hope their fans (dreamkiller) learned their lesson and don't start booking their rooms in bowling green until it's official.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:Sorry, unless they redo the east and west, NCC will once again represent the east. Desalles will definitely be good, but replacing the QB and rb will not be easy. They lose 25 seniors, most of which played significant time. If Caldwell learns how to play defense, they will be the favorite in the west and probably all of 2A. Let's hope their fans (dreamkiller) learned their lesson and don't start booking their rooms in bowling green until it's official.

NCC loses quite a bit also. Mac Franzen QB, Tommy Donnelly top WR, John Caudill LB, Tyler Lyon DE, Kalvin Moore LB, and Jack Sutkamp LB.

That's your QB, top WR, and 4 of top 5 leading tacklers on defense. 12 seniors total.
I realize that, but NCC replaces key players every year and they still get there. That's all I'm saying. On offense, they return 6 starters. On defense, they return 6 starters. Meleek Lawrence (DT/OG), Jacob smith (RB/DB), Nate enslen (WR/DB) and Brandon gray (QB?/RB/DB) will be 4 of the top players in NKY. Since 2000, they have been there (state title game) 9 or 10 times.
NCC is NCC, they will rebuild and be in the mix, after watching Desales gameplan play out in the Championship, I saw what kind of a coaching staff they have. They will be a factor in the west. Prestonsburg has alot of guys back, they will be your Mtn 2A squad. Middlesboro was young, they will be better. 2A could be the most competitive class from top to bottom next year.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:I realize that, but NCC replaces key players every year and they still get there. That's all I'm saying. On offense, they return 6 starters. On defense, they return 6 starters. Meleek Lawrence (DT/OG), Jacob smith (RB/DB), Nate enslen (WR/DB) and Brandon gray (QB?/RB/DB) will be 4 of the top players in NKY. Since 2000, they have been there (state title game) 9 or 10 times.

Brandon Grey and Jacob Smith will play huge rolls next year for NCC.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:NCC is NCC, they will rebuild and be in the mix, after watching Desales gameplan play out in the Championship, I saw what kind of a coaching staff they have. They will be a factor in the west. Prestonsburg has alot of guys back, they will be your Mtn 2A squad. Middlesboro was young, they will be better. 2A could be the most competitive class from top to bottom next year.

I think you'll see the same teams within 2a keep winning. The only change you might see is from the mountain teams. Somerset lost a lot but I'm not counting them out. The younger kids on that team got to be around kids who knew how to win and which will help them along next season. The other teams in the region seem to think they have a legit shot but its Somerset's too loose. NCC will be as strong next year as they were this year. Look for a couple freshman to make a significant impact defensively and at the skill positions offensively. They return 3 starting offensive lineman, as well as, all of their defensive lineman. Say what you want about Caldwell, but they choked this year with a team that was suppose to be world beaters. They'll do exactly what I said they would do this year and overlook someone because of all of the hype Sindelar carries. Its the same thing that Barker had to deal with, he might be a good talent but the supporting cast can't get him there. In the end, its Desales to loose. They are the new number one and until someone knocks them off, look for a repeat.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:[/B]

I think you'll see the same teams within 2a keep winning. The only change you might see is from the mountain teams. Somerset lost a lot but I'm not counting them out. The younger kids on that team got to be around kids who knew how to win and which will help them along next season. The other teams in the region seem to think they have a legit shot but its Somerset's too loose. NCC will be as strong next year as they were this year. Look for a couple freshman to make a significant impact defensively and at the skill positions offensively. They return 3 starting offensive lineman, as well as, all of their defensive lineman. Say what you want about Caldwell, but they choked this year with a team that was suppose to be world beaters. They'll do exactly what I said they would do this year and overlook someone because of all of the hype Sindelar carries. Its the same thing that Barker had to deal with, he might be a good talent but the supporting cast can't get him there. In the end, its Desales to loose. They are the new number one and until someone knocks them off, look for a repeat.

Pretty Solid Post!
strawberryshakeman Wrote:[/B]

Assuming you meant "lose" everywhere you wrote "loose", I'll agree it's DeSales title to lose. They're the Champ (until they're not).

The usual suspects will be reloading plus some "on the cusp" teams adding a year of experience. Going to be a fun one in 2A !!

:popcorn:
oneijoe Wrote:Assuming you meant "lose" everywhere you wrote "loose", I'll agree it's DeSales title to lose. They're the Champ (until they're not).

The usual suspects will be reloading plus some "on the cusp" teams adding a year of experience. Going to be a fun one in 2A !!

Who will be the "on the cusp" team? Certainly not P-burg!
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Who will be the "on the cusp" team? Certainly not P-burg!

Other than you don't like Prestonsburg, what's your reasoning?? They deserve to be named in the top teams in 2A, whether you like them or not.
Any team that is a favorite to win the region, will be considered a contender. Whether you like them or not.
Bardstown is a team I would keep an eye out for that seems to be getting overlooked.

The Tigers lost I believe only 8 Seniors off a team who was pretty good, but overshadowed by CAL and DeSales. May be the most athletic 2A team.

This is going to be the most "up" 2A has been a in a long time. Several programs not only returning a lot of starters... but 3 and 4 year starters at that.

I have criticized 2A as being the weakest class over the past 4 or 5 years and even think there have been a couple years where 1A had the edge matched up with 2A Teams 1-10... 2014 I could very easily see 2A not only be stronger 1-10 than 1A...but maybe 3A as well.

Though 2A hasn't necessarily had the best level of football... it has certainly been the most entertaining class and displayed the most parity... I see that coming into play again in 2014.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Bardstown is a team I would keep an eye out for that seems to be getting overlooked.

The Tigers lost I believe only 8 Seniors off a team who was pretty good, but overshadowed by CAL and DeSales. May be the most athletic 2A team.

This is going to be the most "up" 2A has been a in a long time. Several programs not only returning a lot of starters... but 3 and 4 year starters at that.

I have criticized 2A as being the weakest class over the past 4 or 5 years and even think there have been a couple years where 1A had the edge matched up with 2A Teams 1-10... 2014 I could very easily see 2A not only be stronger 1-10 than 1A...but maybe 3A as well.

Though 2A hasn't necessarily had the best level of football... it has certainly been the most entertaining class and displayed the most parity... I see that coming into play again in 2014.

I think they will improve next year, but will be contenders the year after. Bardstown had around 50 freshman and sophomores this year.
BLACKCAT PRIDE! Wrote:Other than you don't like Prestonsburg, what's your reasoning?? They deserve to be named in the top teams in 2A, whether you like them or not.

Listen....Somerset has been the winner of that region for how many years...right? Until another team knocks them off they are the team to beat. Deserving to be a top ranked team means you have to beat someone first, I don't see it with P-burg.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Listen....Somerset has been the winner of that region for how many years...right? Until another team knocks them off they are the team to beat. Deserving to be a top ranked team means you have to beat someone first, I don't see it with P-burg.

Much as DeSales is the Champ until someone knocks them off, Somerset can be seen the same in Region 4. I have no problem with that.

The Jumpers had a team which, strictly judging by talent and experience in the pre-season, should have thrashed EVERYONE in the east (NewCath included) this year. The intangible of "having been there" definitely worked in the Jumpers favor in the playoffs through tight games against Betsy Layne, Middlesboro, and P-burg. But unfortunately for Somerset, despite the late return of most of their injured players, I don't believe that group had a chance to reach its maximum potential this past season leaving them just short vs NewCath.

But if one is going to forecast next season strictly on the basis of returning talent (which seems to be what most do), the outlook for the Jumpers is not as bright as it was a year ago. The outlook for other teams such as Middlesboro, P-burg, NewCath, and possibly Danville is good to challenge in the east.

strawberryshakeman Wrote:Who will be the "on the cusp" team? Certainly not P-burg!

I really can not believe you said the above. Why not Prestonsburg? They gave a very senior laden Somerset team all they wanted in the Regional Championship. A penalty away from a win.

Prestonsburg returns basically the entire team. We lost one senior this year that played any significant time.

strawberryshakeman Wrote:Listen....Somerset has been the winner of that region for how many years...right? Until another team knocks them off they are the team to beat. Deserving to be a top ranked team means you have to beat someone first, I don't see it with P-burg.

I respect your opinion, but keep your eyes open in 2014 and you will see it. Confusedinglepar
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I really can not believe you said the above. Why not Prestonsburg? They gave a very senior laden Somerset team all they wanted in the Regional Championship. A penalty away from a win.

Prestonsburg returns basically the entire team. We lost one senior this year that played any significant time.

I respect your opinion, but keep your eyes open in 2014 and you will see it. Confusedinglepar

Prestonsburg and Middlesboro will be the teams to beat in region 4 in 2014. Somerset will be VERY young, which bodes well for 2015. If the jumpers have a good off season they will be competitive but they have one of the toughest schedules in 2a both in non district and district play which will make it tough to find those easy wins. Pburg has a good core coming back, in regards to giving somerset all they wanted I'll agree with you there, the Jumpers took their foot off the gas early in that one after getting up 21-0 and it almost bit them in the butt! That's not taking away from the effort that the Pburg kids play with which is tremendous.

Middlesboro has so much talent it's hard to see them not being the obvious choice for region 4. I hope that my jumpers prove everyone wrong and compete, they definitely have the blueprints in front of them to do so, it will be on them to get better. Everyone knows that those who win big in November and December are those that sacrifice in January-August.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Prestonsburg and Middlesboro will be the teams to beat in region 4 in 2014. Somerset will be VERY young, which bodes well for 2015. If the jumpers have a good off season they will be competitive but they have one of the toughest schedules in 2a both in non district and district play which will make it tough to find those easy wins. Pburg has a good core coming back, in regards to giving somerset all they wanted I'll agree with you there, the Jumpers took their foot off the gas early in that one after getting up 21-0 and it almost bit them in the butt! That's not taking away from the effort that the Pburg kids play with which is tremendous.

Middlesboro has so much talent it's hard to see them not being the obvious choice for region 4. I hope that my jumpers prove everyone wrong and compete, they definitely have the blueprints in front of them to do so, it will be on them to get better. Everyone knows that those who win big in November and December are those that sacrifice in January-August.

Somerset's biggest lead was 14 before P-burg scored the next 21. Between penalties, a non-existent punt return unit, and a good Jumper defense, P-burg couldn't get out of its end of the field in the 3rd. This resulted in Somerset getting one too many chances on a short field knotting up the score at 21. The Blackcats had a chance to kick a FG from 28-30 yds, but instead failed on a 4th and 8. The last Jumper score was a good gamble with the score tied - P-burg played underneath (on 3rd and 8 in trying to force a punt) and the Jumpers executed flawlessly to score a quick strike.

It was a most excellent game to watch... :Thumbs:

I agree with you, Jumperpride, Middlesboro has to be considered the early favorite in district 7. Somerset is quite a wildcard coming into next year. It'll be fun to watch the young Jumpers develop next year - young teams can improve a LOT through the course of a season. We saw it here in Prestonsburg this season !

I do see your point, but, I think the purpose of the thread is who can knock them off if you will. They have won it for 5 years, no one is taking that away from them....do you think they will win it again or can someone knock them off. With your statement I would think you believe they will win it again with what they got coming back doesn't matter what anyone else has. Are they your pick to win it? So whoever wins a championship, no matter what happens, they are the favorite to win it again. That is how I read what you are saying.
Thank you for understanding my point. Its not a matter of if they can win it, IMO they are the favorite to win it until another team knocks them off. I'm sure Middlesboro and P-burg will have good teams, but until they beat Somerset (5 years) I don't see them as favorites. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the other teams, but when you practice against quality talent everyday, it makes you better. I'm sure the kids at Somerset have gotten better practicing against this senior class for the last couple years, and so on. Have you ever seen the smaller teams practice against garbage cans and half lines get any better? I haven't, its a tough formula for success. The exceptional programs don't really talk about "rebuilding years" because of the pipeline of talent that feeds them. I'm a firm believer that once you get to the top, success breeds success.