Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morristown West 42 Whitley County 13
OldJacket Wrote:A 5A school should have no problem replacing 2 DB IMO...Whitley just got beat by a very good football team, there're a lot of winnable games left but I have a feeling it could be a long year for the colonels..

You know as well as i do Whitley shouldnt even be considered a 5A team. Black cant get the kids out. I bet there were only 35-40 varsity kids dressed last night. With a whole slew of players playing both ways, two db's out for Whitley is a huge deal.

As for the other part, i predicted a 6-4 or 5-5 year. I think ill be right on the money.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You know as well as i do Whitley shouldnt even be considered a 5A team. Black cant get the kids out. I bet there were only 35-40 varsity kids dressed last night. With a whole slew of players playing both ways, two db's out for Whitley is a huge deal.

As for the other part, i predicted a 6-4 or 5-5 year. I think ill be right on the money.

Gut I have always wondered why there aren't better numbers out...It seems to have always been a problem, you have any thoughts...
I was there it was hard to see your team get dismantled by the pass but it happens.we dressed 45 kids with 6 in street clothes thats 51 kids .west dressed 75 kids with 5 in street clothes. there had noone play both ways .they even had rotated there lines they were always fresh. we had kids play both ways and special teams. and I STILL LOVE MY COLONELS
OldJacket Wrote:A 5A school should have no problem replacing 2 DB IMO...Whitley just got beat by a very good football team, there're a lot of winnable games left but I have a feeling it could be a long year for the colonels..
I disagree, I think Whitley has some young talent that will get better throughout the year. It is not far fetched to think they could place second in their district and make a nice playoff run. Just get better each week!
OldJacket Wrote:Gut I have always wondered why there aren't better numbers out...It seems to have always been a problem, you have any thoughts...

The reasons are too many to list.....it is just a weird situation. No coach is going to be able to get big numbers out.....

Some kids want to work.
Some kids have to work.
Some kids are lazy.
Transportation. Or lack there of.
Some want to hunt and fish.
Some coaches don't want to share athletes.
Some get mad when don't star as freshmen.

Those are just a few reasons
BDC Wrote:I disagree, I think Whitley has some young talent that will get better throughout the year. It is not far fetched to think they could place second in their district and make a nice playoff run. Just get better each week!

Spot on....
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:The reasons are too many to list.....it is just a weird situation. No coach is going to be able to get big numbers out.....

Some kids want to work.
Some kids have to work.
Some kids are lazy.

I think you are correct about coaches not wanting to share kids. I believe that ALL the coaches hate to share. That's why all the sports struggle at Whitley.
OldJacket Wrote:Gut I have always wondered why there aren't better numbers out...It seems to have always been a problem, you have any thoughts...

Ill tell you exactly why.

Its not the kids, its not the "sharing", and its not the tradition, its the feeder system and how the coaches handle kids coming into high school. It always has been, always will be.

There are six elementary teams in this county. Each team with an abundance of players on both the 3rd-4th grade teams and 5th-6th grade teams.
By the time these kid get to 7th grade its obvious a lot will not play for different reasons, its more serious, might be a little scared, wont get to play etc....and the numbers conitnue to get lower and lower every year.

I remember several 7th and eighth grade teams at the middle school that has dressed 60-70 kids. By freshmen year, the same reasons start over. A lot of kids are initimidated, just dont want to, etc, and by freshmen yearm there class has been took down to 20-25 kids, and then it loses about five every year and that why you see 10-12 in the senior classes every year.

Were in a time now where you cant just expect players to show up, as a coach you have to go out and get them. Weve failed at that.

I know for a FACT that there are atleast 30 more kids walking the hallways at Whitley that should be playing football and if they were and had that experience still with them then Whitley would be in the same shape Harlan County is right now, on the up and up, but its just not the case.
RITG....I agree to a certain extent, but there are underlying reasons why they don't play. You obviously are around the program and know what goes on, and the staff, as small as it is works hard to get kids out, they meet with them, talk to them, give them every chance to come out, but they don't want to for whatever reasons.

I think it is also hard when you have so many elementary schools and little jimmy has been told for four years that he is great, and he gets to the middle school and he is not so great, then gets to the high school and is at the bottom of the totem pole and is not so great again, but wants instant gratification, and it in most cases is not going to happen and they are not willing to wait to get their chance.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:RITG....I agree to a certain extent, but there are underlying reasons why they don't play. You obviously are around the program and know what goes on, and the staff, as small as it is works hard to get kids out, they meet with them, talk to them, give them every chance to come out, but they don't want to for whatever reasons.

I think it is also hard when you have so many elementary schools and little jimmy has been told for four years that he is great, and he gets to the middle school and he is not so great, then gets to the high school and is at the bottom of the totem pole and is not so great again, but wants instant gratification, and it in most cases is not going to happen and they are not willing to wait to get their chance.

Thats more or less what i was getting at.
By the time they get to middle school, even if there better, the coaches already know whos going where on that 7th grade team.

Its not going to change unless the whole system does, and i dont see that happening.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:The reasons are too many to list.....it is just a weird situation. No coach is going to be able to get big numbers out.....

Some kids want to work.
Some kids have to work.
Some kids are lazy.

None of which each team we play do not have the same........
I have an Idea may sound crazy but it works every where else, PLAY MORE KIDS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM START NOW (DON"T PUT IT OFF) what does it matter if you have Two or even three loosing seasons you are probably going to loose any way.. we want a program not a team if you have a solid program you will have good teams.:Thumbs:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You know as well as i do Whitley shouldnt even be considered a 5A team. Black cant get the kids out. I bet there were only 35-40 varsity kids dressed last night. With a whole slew of players playing both ways, two db's out for Whitley is a huge deal.

You talk like you were at the game when you say how many kids were dressed out when you have said many times that you didnt even go.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thats more or less what i was getting at.
By the time they get to middle school, even if there better, the coaches already know whos going where on that 7th grade team.

Its not going to change unless the whole system does, and i dont see that happening.

Most of the coaches at the middle school do not even know the 7th graders that are coming in. How could they already know who was playing and where? Why is it that you always want to bash people and hide behind the username? If you are as good as you think, then maybe you should be coaching somewhere. W
Gummie Bear Wrote:You talk like you were at the game when you say how many kids were dressed out when you have said many times that you didnt even go.

I said I BET.
I never said i SAW.

Reread Mr. Harlan County.
footballfanatic33 Wrote:Most of the coaches at the middle school do not even know the 7th graders that are coming in. How could they already know who was playing and where? Why is it that you always want to bash people and hide behind the username? If you are as good as you think, then maybe you should be coaching somewhere. W

Truth Hurts doesnt it?
I too was once blinded by the luster of the program, but i see it for what it is.

And FYI, Whitley couldnt afford me. :biglmao:
I have watched the feeder teams coaches it seemed to me that there was no organization, no position coaching, no special teams coaching, coaches would coach here awhile and there a while all over the field

The coaches had sons playing usually you look back in high school and they couldn't play a lik. But man could they CUSS. and doll up with their game uniforms all look alike, Ws on their caps, kaki shorts and fancy shoes then get their hind ends kicked and blame the refs. Next week do it all over again. same results
topnotch Wrote:I have watched the feeder teams coaches it seemed to me that there was no organization, no position coaching, no special teams coaching, coaches would coach here awhile and there a while all over the field

The coaches had sons playing usually you look back in high school and they couldn't play a lik. But man could they CUSS. and doll up with their game uniforms all look alike, Ws on their caps, kaki shorts and fancy shoes then get their hind ends kicked and blame the refs. Next week do it all over again. same results

Sounds like a man speaking from experience.
Which team did you coach?
^
I wish Whitley would start making all of the elementary teams run the same offense, and it should be an offense designed to show them how to run whatever the high school will be running.

In the elementary games right now you have 6 different coaches with 6 different ideas, most of the time not knowing what there doing, and when they all come together as seventh graders, the kids are lost because they have to learn something completely new that theyll only be running for two years.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I wish Whitley would start making all of the elementary teams run the same offense, and it should be an offense designed to show them how to run whatever the high school will be running.

In the elementary games right now you have 6 different coaches with 6 different ideas, most of the time not knowing what there doing, and when they all come together as seventh graders, the kids are lost because they have to learn something completely new that theyll only be running for two years.

Gut I respectfully disagree however you are close, There are certain fundementals that hold true with football wheather you run or throw the ball or what ever formation you might want to run out of. If your a option team the fundementals are the same however if you as a coach on whatever level are forced to run set football I don't think you are going to be a happy camper.. Gut I have a few ideas you might be interested in. # 1 I think you are going to have to compensate a coach and maybe two through teacher hire or and fund raising. You need an athletic director to screen these coaches and make the decisions based soly on ability and no politics. after these coaches are in place. Then you should have your varsity coaching staff to implement a set of fundamental standards that would be conducive to the coaches football philosophy. Example if I were the coach I would put in rule 1 you must make every effort to run defense and offense unit. not force coaches to play kids certain amount lets face it football is not for every one. I may lower the goal post, and widen it. I may give 2 points for kicked extra points and 1 for run. I would require 50 50 pass and run. I can think of 50 drills that would teach both I can think of lots of ways to make it fun for the kids. Old screaming cussing coaches are done. You must make it fun for the kids (and rewarding) You must coach every child all the time he is there or he is gone. The child can't be left sitting on his head gear watching, won't work JUST A FEW THOUGHTS Gut I admire your concern and devotion to your school I believe with concerned fans like you it will eventually work.
+
THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FEEDER TO WC IS ( MIDDLE SCHOOl)
I believe it would help if they platooned in middle school. To much concern with winning in middle school instead of the big picture. Keep as many kids playing as possible. Whitley is playing 5A football with 2A numbers. Corbin has more than 60 kids out.
topnotch Wrote:Gut I respectfully disagree however you are close, There are certain fundementals that hold true with football wheather you run or throw the ball or what ever formation you might want to run out of. If your a option team the fundementals are the same however if you as a coach on whatever level are forced to run set football I don't think you are going to be a happy camper.. Gut I have a few ideas you might be interested in. # 1 I think you are going to have to compensate a coach and maybe two through teacher hire or and fund raising. You need an athletic director to screen these coaches and make the decisions based soly on ability and no politics. after these coaches are in place. Then you should have your varsity coaching staff to implement a set of fundamental standards that would be conducive to the coaches football philosophy. Example if I were the coach I would put in rule 1 you must make every effort to run defense and offense unit. not force coaches to play kids certain amount lets face it football is not for every one. I may lower the goal post, and widen it. I may give 2 points for kicked extra points and 1 for run. I would require 50 50 pass and run. I can think of 50 drills that would teach both I can think of lots of ways to make it fun for the kids. Old screaming cussing coaches are done. You must make it fun for the kids (and rewarding) You must coach every child all the time he is there or he is gone. The child can't be left sitting on his head gear watching, won't work JUST A FEW THOUGHTS Gut I admire your concern and devotion to your school I believe with concerned fans like you it will eventually work.
+

No arguments from me on that one :Thumbs:
Avoid daddy ball if at all possible
Whitley needs to play as many kids as possible at the middle school level, thus keeping more kids interested. Then play as many freshman and JV games as possible and do the same. Also, let as many non-starters as they can play on varsity special teams. This would help develop the depth they need to compete in 5A.

This does not apply just to Whitley, it's been a pet peeve of mine for years at Corbin as well.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Whitley needs to play as many kids as possible at the middle school level, thus keeping more kids interested. Then play as many freshman and JV games as possible and do the same. Also, let as many non-starters as they can play on varsity special teams. This would help develop the depth they need to compete in 5A.

This does not apply just to Whitley, it's been a pet peeve of mine for years at Corbin as well.

This area is infested with that problem.
Jackets play them all and sometimes the water boy,