Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Pike County Bowl Lineup
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:This Senior Laden Somerset team was at Cam Stadium when they were Freshman in the Semi-State matchup before Somerset dropped down to 2A. Great Facility but technically they have been there before. Other than the state game, Best facility i played at. Best atmosphere goes to Breathitt County with that big roof. Couldnt hear a thing there.

Really? We had no problem hearing. Mainly because the Pirate O had the whole Breathitt side DEAD QUIET. TongueirateShoTongueirateSho

Now that I took my shot at Breathitt, that game at CAM was my favorite game ever. Even still I think they'll be a little awestruck. PCB usually draws a massive crowd. Just the same, some of Belfry's younger boys may get "light shy" too!!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Really? We had no problem hearing. Mainly because the Pirate O had the whole Breathitt side DEAD QUIET. TongueirateShoTongueirateSho

Now that I took my shot at Breathitt, that game at CAM was my favorite game ever. Even still I think they'll be a little awestruck. PCB usually draws a massive crowd. Just the same, some of Belfry's younger boys may get "light shy" too!!

I'm not saying that the level of opponent is the same but the PCB will not be the biggest crowd that the Somerset kids have played in front of. The Correll Bowl at Somerset results in a full stadium every year. Clark Field, while not as modern as the CAM hold between 6,000 and 7,000 fans. The CAM is listed as holding 5,500. Again, Belfry is a much better program than either Southwestern or Pulaski but a full CAM won't be a bigger crowd than what Somerset plays in front of during the Correll Bowl.
^Capacity at Clark is 10,500 if I remember correctly. I'd say at the end of the first game and into the start of the second it's at least that every year. Usually a few hundred to a thousand line the track.
RoShamBo Wrote:^Capacity at Clark is 10,500 if I remember correctly. I'd say at the end of the first game and into the start of the second it's at least that every year. Usually a few hundred to a thousand line the track.

It used to be listed as 7,000. They took up a row or so when they built the current pressbox so it should be just a tad under that. I'm positive the bleachers don't hold 10,000. With standing room around the track and on the hill in the end zone you could fit that many. The biggest crowd I ever saw there was the Somerset/Corbin game in 1983. The stands on both sides were full.
This is not meant as a shot at Somerset or their fans...but more curiosity.

When Belfry traveled to Somerset in I think the 2007 Regional Finals (Somerset had a handful of losses) I was absolutely shocked that Belfry not only outnumbered Somerset fans...but by a significant clip.

Conversely, when Somerset traveled to Belfry a few years back for the Semi's (Jumpers were undefeated) that was one of the best away crowds to come to the CAM.

Why such the disparity? Are there simply more fairweather fans than most places? I know when Belfry is struggling they have a drop off..but for a Regional Final game at home there is no way an opposing team would outnumber them. Always made me wonder what the deal was and would be interesting to hear the take from the fans who follow the program. Once again, no slight whatsoever intended and I expect a massive following again and Somerset fans are among my favorite in the state.
Walt Longmire Wrote:It used to be listed as 7,000. They took up a row or so when they built the current pressbox so it should be just a tad under that. I'm positive the bleachers don't hold 10,000. With standing room around the track and on the hill in the end zone you could fit that many. The biggest crowd I ever saw there was the Somerset/Corbin game in 1983. The stands on both sides were full.

Copy, I'll take your word on it Walt you seem to know more about it than me. I could have sworn I read an article 5-10 years back though talking about the largest stadiums in Kentucky and Clark was second on there behind O'boro. I thought that was the number but I may be mistaken, many brain cells have abandoned me since.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This is not meant as a shot at Somerset or their fans...but more curiosity.

When Belfry traveled to Somerset in I think the 2007 Regional Finals (Somerset had a handful of losses) I was absolutely shocked that Belfry not only outnumbered Somerset fans...but by a significant clip.

Conversely, when Somerset traveled to Belfry a few years back for the Semi's (Jumpers were undefeated) that was one of the best away crowds to come to the CAM.

Why such the disparity? Are there simply more fairweather fans than most places? I know when Belfry is struggling they have a drop off..but for a Regional Final game at home there is no way an opposing team would outnumber them. Always made me wonder what the deal was and would be interesting to hear the take from the fans who follow the program. Once again, no slight whatsoever intended and I expect a massive following again and Somerset fans are among my favorite in the state.

Well this is JMO, but you basically answered it there. Fairweather fans seems like strong phrasing but that's what I would probably call it. There simply wasn't as much buzz surrounding the team in 2007 as there was in 2010.

2007, we had already lost several games one of them being a 62-49 monstrosity to cross-town rival Pulaski. Many of the fans that came out did so just to see Cole. To be honest I don't know if a lot of people around town really expected us to actually win that game against Belfry, or even keep it close for that matter.

2010, we were undefeated coming off a state runner-up season with a team that on paper should have been better than the 2009 team. Another appearance at the state championship seemed imminent. I remember riding back on my way to Lexington after that game just crushed. Probably as upset about that game as I was any when I played.