Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeder Systems...who's got the best quality?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I think reps are incredibly important at a young age. Raceland though, doesn't have the ability to set up that system due to numbers. I think no matter what direction you go, you have to prepare the kids from a young age to be able to run the offense the High School Runs. Coaches do change at times, but kids learn easily. Enough reps and they'll get it. I never understood why, in my 7th grade year we were still running the wishbone, when the high school was running the spread. Then my 8th grade year, the freshman above us weren't prepared enough for the offense, thus my 8th grade year, we just about completely did away with the wishbone.

The way we assured reps in the FTJFL was to split the quarters in half between the starters and second team. During our time there each team averaged about 22 kids by design. Some may have had a couple more. So before the half each player had atleast a quarter of play under their belt.

The third quarter was split as well. The fourth quarter was wide open. If you were down you could play your starters. If you were up you could play the second team.

Again the benefit is shared amongst all of the teams. The coaches had a mutual respect for one another and no one ever would run up the score. But don't be fooled we had plenty of heated contests. Do know that not all coaches would run the Highlands offense. Defense was a set 52 with a roving LB and 3 deep set. Our team did run Highlands plays and I know that by the end of my sons 4th grade season he knew atleast six plays in his sleep.

I'd be surprised if each team had more than 10 offensive plays. Again, best wishes on future success!Confusedinglepar
Spirit100 Wrote:The way we assured reps in the FTJFL was to split the quarters in half between the starters and second team. During our time there each team averaged about 22 kids by design. Some may have had a couple more. So before the half each player had atleast a quarter of play under their belt.

The third quarter was split as well. The fourth quarter was wide open. If you were down you could play your starters. If you were up you could play the second team.

Again the benefit is shared amongst all of the teams. The coaches had a mutual respect for one another and no one ever would run up the score. But don't be fooled we had plenty of heated contests. Do know that not all coaches would run the Highlands offense. Defense was a set 52 with a roving LB and 3 deep set. Our team did run Highlands plays and I know that by the end of my sons 4th grade season he knew atleast six plays in his sleep.

I'd be surprised if each team had more than 10 offensive plays. Again, best wishes on future success!Confusedinglepar

And that's the way it ought to be.

Russell JFL is similar but we went to A & B team game instead of the quarters. Numbers were lower among the middle school kids this year so we went with second string players had to play the entire second quarter and the second half was open with that group.
FBALL Wrote:And that's the way it ought to be.

Russell JFL is similar but we went to A & B team game instead of the quarters. Numbers were lower among the middle school kids this year so we went with second string players had to play the entire second quarter and the second half was open with that group.

Sounds like you all are on a good foot...keep it up and the success will rise from bottom to the top!
Spirit100 Wrote:Sounds like you all are on a good foot...keep it up and the success will rise from bottom to the top!

It's been that way since the 1970s and already has produced.
Raceland just doesn't have the ability to field more than 22-30 kids. so its nearly impossible to have a league of our own. It's getting harder and harder to schedule games though, as many are going to the inter-league play. Wish we did. Thats why Russell looks like a well oiled machine each week, no matter they be having a good year, or a down year. The kids have been running the same offense all their lives, and it seems just about every gaurd knows the rbs jobs and plays and visa versa. Seems like every year there's a new converted linemen in the backfield, which speaks volumes about the personel russell has every year.
Raceland is starting to gain that bit of momentum. Seems like each year there is less and less to worry about when it comes to replacing a senior. Unlike Russell, however, it's because many of our players who see sognificant time, have 2 or three seasons of coming off the bench in games, because numbers aren't as high the Red Devils. We are in the smaller side of 1A schools.
I want to point out the class that I have whitnessed in this Thread. It was a question I have had for some time, and I am happy with the information I have recieved. Even in instances where some of my information was incorrect, FBALL didn't make a point to be jerk about anything. So many of these threads become a "battle of pride a will"...I dont think that's what it's creators intended it to be. So kudos to those of you posting on this thread.
^ Well lets than strive for this type a thread to become a new norm. Have a great weekend Scotty!
I love the way Russell does their JFL program. You are gonna have up and down years losing some kids to soccer or believe it or not fall baseball. Russell may not always be able to keep it this way but they try to at all costs to get more reps at different positions for all kids. I believe this years freshman class is the first class to not be involved with any grade team and has only played in the JFL league and are undefeated so far so I believe if it's not broke...don't try to fix it. lol
DevilWatcher Wrote:I love the way Russell does their JFL program. You are gonna have up and down years losing some kids to soccer or believe it or not fall baseball. Russell may not always be able to keep it this way but they try to at all costs to get more reps at different positions for all kids. I believe this years freshman class is the first class to not be involved with any grade team and has only played in the JFL league and are undefeated so far so I believe if it's not broke...don't try to fix it. lol

Yes they are the first group since we switched back to go all the way through it. I believe it is very beneficiary.

Fall baseball with the 6th grade among other things kept numbers down a bit this year.
Spirit100 Wrote:^ Well lets than strive for this type a thread to become a new norm. Have a great weekend Scotty!

I hear ya! I'm all for a heated debate, that's what makes sports so great. You can still be competitive even after you ain't on the field any more! Have a good weekend yourself.