Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeder Systems...who's got the best quality?
I know in NEKY Russell and Raceland, historically have had fairly good JFL programs. Russell's, in recent years has come under some contraversy. Raceland, on the other hand, call it luck, call it what you will, has been on the rise. I have coached/watched this year's 7th and 8th grade teams as well as the Freshman and JV at Raceland, since they were playing flag football. I have to say, the JFL program at Raceland has produced some nice players. Not just in atheletic ability, but football IQs that are off the charts for their age group. The 8th grade team hasn't lossed since, I believe the 4th or 5th grade. I could be mistaken, if they have lossed, it's not been very many. They are BIG and they are STRONG. Do to a strong feeder program and FINALLY a jr high program that is working as a part of the high school staff as well, things at Raceland keep looking better and better. How does your school do things and how are things shaping up for the future?
Ryle started a middle school program 3yrs ago, the Union Raiders, We'll have to wait a couple of years to see fully the fruits of the program. The current freshman team were the first group through and are having a great year. current 7th and 8th grade teams are in the middle school state playoffs and doing well. one of the greatest thigs about these teams is the chemistry among them. imo
Absolutely. That's what was so special about the 08 Raceland team. The seniors on that team had not lost, while they were starting for their teams(7th,8th,freshman,and jv squads all went undefeated), until the LCA/Raceland Regional Championship. IMO that Raceland squad was the best team in 1 and 2A that year. They just got caught playing not to lose rather than to win.

But chemistry is a huge thing. Especially in a small school like Raceland/Fairview
Raceland has benefitted from Russell's. Almost 1/3 of your starters played in the Russell JFL.

The only controversy was from adults who didnt get their way. It's still the best around.
Ashland Blazer has an excellent JFL program as well.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Absolutely. That's what was so special about the 08 Raceland team. The seniors on that team had not lost, while they were starting for their teams(7th,8th,freshman,and jv squads all went undefeated), until the LCA/Raceland Regional Championship. IMO that Raceland squad was the best team in 1 and 2A that year. They just got caught playing not to lose rather than to win.

But chemistry is a huge thing. Especially in a small school like Raceland/Fairview

They lost to LCA twice, Russell, East Carter and West Carter as Juniors.
Ironton has a really good JFL as well.

Those four are probably the most consistant in the area.
I'll share with what I know works well and based on results how good they are speaks for itself...

A good youth football program is inclusive and focuses on introducing the greatest number of kids to the greatest number of reps, good coaching, and sound fundamentals.

Between 3rd-6th grade a program will find out who enjoys hitting, and who enjoys being hit. By the time their in middle school if they don't know how to run, block, tackle, catch, throw and build teamwork effectively a program needs to look for better "teachers!"

If you really want to enhance the program be sure to find coaches who don't have kids on the team. Then you'll have the genuine article. No offense to those who do. I'm guilty as well so don't take it the wrong way. Objectivity is key and passion for football is paramount.

I told you that to tell you this: I coached, have a son that played in, and have great respect for the Fort Thomas Junior Football League. Again, reps, sound fundamentals, and good coaching ( by the way, the head coach surrounds themselves with people that more times than not, know a lot more than them ).

Forgive me Birds for letting the cat out of the bag :yum: Common sense says people should have figured this out years ago....i.e. Covcath and Ryle ( see prior post ) have implemented similar programs recently.

The benefit to the high school program should be: 1-4 kids at all positions who are familiar with schemes, plays, adjustments and a good football culture in general. The benefit to the kids, parents, and program...Johnny can determine if he wants to play football or allocate his time elsewhere.

Best wishes on your future success!:Thumbs:
Amen brother.

As many reps for as many kids as possible.
Williamsburg's feeder system is a factory to build players. At the 3rd grade level they have them running a spread offense (that is unheard of). In middle school they have recently graduated hs players coaching their middle school team and they run the same plays and defensive schemes as the high school does. It is proven since Williamsburg's whole team this year is mostly led by freshmen and sophomores.
I like Fairview's philosophy. Seems to be working well. Let someone else teach'em, and we will invite them to play later.
Highlands
Jon419 Wrote:Highlands

Indeed so.

Highlands youth football program is really second to none in the state. They start in elementary school and work all the way up through middle school until they are of age and enter high school. There are multiple teams however each team runs the exact same playbook offensively and defensively meaning their is familiarity with the system all the way from elementary school until their high school careers over. This is coordinated by the Highland's coaches so by the time the players enter high school they know the playbook in and out and probably could recite it backwards. Not only that but the players are rotated from team to team each year so the players get to work all their future teammates. So every player knows what they are doing and how to do it for years and years and it is coordinated and overseen by the high school coaches. Most of these players end up at Highlands although some do leave for NewCath so there is a bit of familiarity between the players then from both schools.

Regardless this has been done for years and has bred success for the long term. I haven't seen another youth program quite like it.
we have a very good feeder system too
Defense Wins Wrote:Williamsburg's feeder system is a factory to build players. At the 3rd grade level they have them running a spread offense (that is unheard of). In middle school they have recently graduated hs players coaching their middle school team and they run the same plays and defensive schemes as the high school does. It is proven since Williamsburg's whole team this year is mostly led by freshmen and sophomores.

I agree that Williamsburg's little league does a very good job of preparing their kids to run the spread offense. I will also say that Whitley's feeder system does a very good job as well. It is amazing to see how many kids play in the Whitley feeder system. I am not aware of Corbin's feeder system but their middle school teams are top notch.
^
Spot on.

There are 6 elemntary schools in Whitley County and they play against one another, and it causes for great competetion. I played in that system once upon a time, and its a good learning experience.
The one fault i have with it is you have 6 different coaches coaching 6 different teams and being taught different things. When they get into middle school, they all have to come together and learn a new way. If all the elemntary school coaches would get together and start preparing these kids for a middle and high school type of offense and defense, just the basics, i think it would help the programs a lot.

Either way, all the teams have a decent number of players, and its fun to watch those kids go at it. Its even more fun when you see a little girl out there kicking tail lol...
Trinity has the best feeder system. Look and see what they like. Go get it. Let the other schools divide the left overs.
^ The State is St. X and Trinity's feeder system, so that is skewed!

Highlands, hands down has the best feeder system! They have a youth program that only plays each other. They do not play outside of their own city. People want to talk about their middle school teams beating someone elses middle school team. HHS throws that right out the door with a program that has teams made up from their city (which is not a big city) from 3rd through 8th grade! You tell me another city in the state that has this same program, and has ever won a state title, much less dominating the state at their level for as many years as they have. This is not even a debate! Highlands!
You dont need to run the same thing the High School does. Thats crazy. Especially
6th grade and on down. High School coaches come and go like the weather. Why put your trust in a high school coach. Middle School 7th/8th could start running the HS system but in baby ball, who cares. Put them in something simple and work on fundamentals. Get them used to coming to practice and games on a regular basis.
Stardust Wrote:^ The State is St. X and Trinity's feeder system, so that is skewed!

Highlands, hands down has the best feeder system! They have a youth program that only plays each other. They do not play outside of their own city. People want to talk about their middle school teams beating someone elses middle school team. HHS throws that right out the door with a program that has teams made up from their city (which is not a big city) from 3rd through 8th grade! You tell me another city in the state that has this same program, and has ever won a state title, much less dominating the state at their level for as many years as they have. This is not even a debate! Highlands!

Russell has the same set up. 2nd through 8th in JFl. More reps for more kids. No middle school team. There in lies the controversy. It's been a long time proven system that some just can't seem to understand.
Well written Spirit- and agree on all points.
The Highlands system is a source of inspiration to all Northern Ky youth football teams aspiring to get young men ready for High School ball.
Union has a very good program as do our folks involved with the Colonel Youth Football program which draws from local parishes in the Diocese. The class who started that program at it's grass roots level are now the Sr's at CCH- each year the number of players who were involved in the CYF returning for their subsequent year of high school ball has risen. Each year the CYF ends up either wining or playing for the NKMSFL championships at the Large (8th) & Small (7th) school divisions and I truly believe it will start to bear fruit in High School- it already has to a degree.
They had so many boys enroll this year that they ended up fielding not only a 7th & 8th grade team- but also a JV 7th & JV 8th. This assured every young man plenty of game time experience.
It absolutely starts with quality leadership & coaches who have their priorities in line. The mission is 1) Have fun and get them coming back the next year 2) Teach them the fundamentals and basics ramping them up slowly to the CCH system 3) Win along the way. That's the way I see it anyway.
Bowling Green and Warren Central start with Pee Wee football and move to their respective middle schools. The feeder program is THE most important part of a program. No one does it better than Highlands and we've seen how successful they have been.
Johnny_Ringo Wrote:You dont need to run the same thing the High School does. Thats crazy. Especially
6th grade and on down. High School coaches come and go like the weather. Why put your trust in a high school coach. Middle School 7th/8th could start running the HS system but in baby ball, who cares. Put them in something simple and work on fundamentals. Get them used to coming to practice and games on a regular basis.

I just think the fundamentals of football have changed a bit. I like teaching a young 2nd and third grade quarterback to take a shotgun snap and use a screen game. I have never understood little league offenses that do nothing but run the football with one kid. What are you teaching the other kids? I think kids can run simple plays out of the gun and it becomes very fun for them.
Pulaski county has a strong youth league and both middle school teams in county are strong.
Nothing wrong with running the Gun my friend. I think you should spread the wealth to all the kids on the team. Not a fan of a one man show. Im just saying let the coaches run what they want to in baby ball. No need to implement the high school system until about 7th or 8th grade. 2 years is enough time to learn the system and enough time to figure out if you high school coach is going to be there for a couple more years.
FBALL Wrote:Russell has the same set up. 2nd through 8th in JFl. More reps for more kids. No middle school team. There in lies the controversy. It's been a long time proven system that some just can't seem to understand.

Great post. I was speaking to our head coach last night about this and it is his plan to make a push in our school for the same program. Him being a former Highlands grad and a product of their JFL program, he certainly knows the benefit. And his words to me "It's been a long time proven system that some just can't seem to understand."
Stardust Wrote:Great post. I was speaking to our head coach last night about this and it is his plan to make a push in our school for the same program. Him being a former Highlands grad and a product of their JFL program, he certainly knows the benefit. And his words to me "It's been a long time proven system that some just can't seem to understand."

Great minds evidently do think alike. I'd say we've both been called a bunch of other things to though.
FBALL Wrote:They lost to LCA twice, Russell, East Carter and West Carter as Juniors.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was more so refering to when the 08 class were the starters on each team. I was unsure about the JV schedule, but i knew there weren't many losses. When we had them in JFL they went undefeated 3-6 grade, and I'm fairly sure they did the same in Jr High and Freshman. Russell has a great JFL program. I knew the contraversy had started from noticing all of the infulx of Russell boys coming into Raceland's
7th and 8th grade program a few years back. Honestly, I figured they'd stay at Raceland a few years then go back to Russell. But they ended up staying. It's a testimate though, to Russell's program though, that they could lose kids like Messer and Boggs, and still be as great as they are. I always have and always will pull for Russell, (unless I see them across the field on an opposite sideline lol). I have a huge amount of respect for that program.
You got a few Russell boys out of those two classes. They all had different reasons. Some because of football and some had other reasons. No doubt it weakened this years junior and sophomore classes.

We switched to middle school teams for a few years and then switched back to the JFL system in 09. That is where the controversy lied. I still prefer as many kids playing as possible as opposed to playing other schools.
I think reps are incredibly important at a young age. Raceland though, doesn't have the ability to set up that system due to numbers. I think no matter what direction you go, you have to prepare the kids from a young age to be able to run the offense the High School Runs. Coaches do change at times, but kids learn easily. Enough reps and they'll get it. I never understood why, in my 7th grade year we were still running the wishbone, when the high school was running the spread. Then my 8th grade year, the freshman above us weren't prepared enough for the offense, thus my 8th grade year, we just about completely did away with the wishbone.