Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is Matt Robinson going to college?
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:As good of a player Matt is.....I'm sure he would be successful as an outside LB.......JDH is an All-Conference LB you got to remember, it would be hard taking his place....

That's where the problem with Robinson is. I (personally) believe that Robinson has the speed to play MLB, but NOT as an OLB. I don't believe that JDH has the speed to play on the outside either. NAIA is kinda like the Wild, Wild, West: they will throw it all over the field at any given down, distance, or situation. If Robinson is forced to play OLB, he would be in coverage the majority of the time, matched up against slot receivers or RB's. That's a bad matchup. His gift, from what few times I have seen him play, is an ability to find the ball, get to the ball, and make plays. If he is forced to play in space and try to cover receivers, you have effectively taken away his greatest strength.

Please don't get me wrong. I think JDH and Robinson both are fantastic players. I just personally believe that they both are kinda locked into the same position, and unless UPIKE switches to a 4-4, 5-2, or some other scheme that employs 2 MLB types, there will likely be only one of them on the field at a time.

Best of luck to the young man, though. He's a great player.
Great post....but these people seem to think Robinson can play at EKU (which I'm not arguing)....If he is fast enough to play at EKU...then surely he could play any LB position on the field, inside or out...... for example, I would take EKU's middle LB and put him on the outside at UPIKE haha.....If Robinson is a hard worker like i think he is....he can gain more speed.
Also like you said, the NAIA are gunslingers.....a 4-4 is too basic of a D for that...IMO
Matt and JDH playing on the field together at the same time will be unreal! No one will be able to run the ball in against them in the mid south! All the triple option teams better watch out if these 2 are together.
Matt is a great player and kid but i would say leslie county had a linebacker just as good maybe not as noticed but was another kid who has a nose for the ball and speed that was an excellent leader on the field John Brewer but on offense he was used as left and right guard to get those extra yards for maggard
i would just like to say i am very pleased to see all these mountain boys signin an all those that are still deciding where to sign you have made all us fans and family very proud to see your hard work pay off and bring some attention to these mountains again we have some of the best kids an athletes as anywhere in the country and all these schools will figure that out keep your head up youve made us all proud.
Congrats young man!!! Watched this kid play 1 game this year and I'm not sure I have seen so many physical tackles by 1 player in 1 game in my years of watching high school football. Remember the education is the key!!! Football is just the cherry on top. Upike is a stepping stone for a great future. Congrats!!!!