Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain boys vs. City Boys.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I also have to mention Harlan's all time greatest reciever,Larry Kirksey. He played on the 1968 Green Dragon team that went undefeated in regular season(10-0-1) and tied Lynch East Main for the district championship. By the system that was used in those day's Lynch got to go on to state and beat Frankfort for the state championship. A lot of people will tell you that the two best teams in the state that year in class A were from Harlan Co.. Larry Kirksey,if i'm not mistaken,caught a pass in the endzone that was ruled out of bounds that would have won that game. Last I heard in 2007 he was wide reciever coach for the Houston Texans.

He is currently the RB coach at Middle Tennessee State University I believe.

http://www.goblueraiders.com/coach.cfm/n...sey/id/144
I personally root for the moutain teams when they get deep in the playoffs against whoever they play because my mom is from Pike County and my dads family is from the wayne/laurel county areas.

That being said, why do so many people on here feel the need to seperate the "mountains" from the rest of the state over and over again. I hear that nobody gives the mountain teams any respect but the only people segregating them is the mountain folk. I used to drive my mom and grandmother to Feds Creek once or twice a year and really enjoyed the visits. Still have lots of family in the mountains. But man the "mountain" this posts and the "mountain" that posts get absolutely silly at times.
64black&gold Wrote:I personally root for the moutain teams when they get deep in the playoffs against whoever they play because my mom is from Pike County and my dads family is from the wayne/laurel county areas.

That being said, why do so many people on here feel the need to seperate the "mountains" from the rest of the state over and over again. I hear that nobody gives the mountain teams any respect but the only people segregating them is the mountain folk. I used to drive my mom and grandmother to Feds Creek once or twice a year and really enjoyed the visits. Still have lots of family in the mountains. But man the "mountain" this posts and the "mountain" that posts get absolutely silly at times.

You and I are in the same boat my friend. :welcome:
64black&gold Wrote:I personally root for the moutain teams when they get deep in the playoffs against whoever they play because my mom is from Pike County and my dads family is from the wayne/laurel county areas.

Good god, THANK YOU! I don't get it, and you know what I am going to get in reply - "You just don't know, you are not from here" reply! Enough, It's time to move on! You can be proud, but you make it sound like you are some entity that is unknown to the rest of the world! My mother's family lives in Campton, my dad in Ezel! I could care less!!!! I live in NKY but I don't have an inferiority complex that prompts me to have to bring up my heritage over and over!!!
birdman44 Wrote:Got a lot of hate... I really dont know any mountain schools cause they dont win state. Shelby Clark? Noname City? whatever. I got a list of the teams that have three or more state titles and thought Boyle and Danville were the closest to being "mountain teams" whatever that means.

You mountain billies get some state titles and I"ll remember your schools name.

It's comment's like the one in bold that cause Mountain Folk to feel separated from the rest of the state. People think because we have an accent when we speak that we are stupid and uneducated and they must seperate themselves from us. They don't want someone thinking they are a mountain billy.
I think being a mountain school is like a fraternity. Many times people talk about frat parties and things at their fraternity or that they are "greek word greek word greek word forever" (i.e Sigma Pi Epsilon Delta Beta Kappa, etc....)

To me, that is what being a mountain school is about. It is just not understood by most. Maybe the NKY schools get that. Some people look at NKY schools and automatically think they are good because they are a NKY school, sometimes. Maybe it is because they know nothing of the area and they see teams like Beechwood, Highlands, Covington Catholic and NCC succeed over and over again.

I don't think CKY, WKY or City schools have anything to compare it to, so it is hard to understand. I am not as hung up as most about it, but then again my high school alma-mater is somewhat disputed as a mountain school (Rockcastle County) lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's not just the mountains. Kentucky as a whole is incredibly regionalized and people hold close regional ties. I can't tell you how many times I've been on BGP and they have threads along the lines of the best freshman OL in NKY or the best kicker in NKY in the past ten years, for example. Is that any different? People talk about what they know, and unfortunately over half the posters on here are from EKY, so 'mountain' football is what they know. I wish this site was less regionalized also but this is where we are.
LWC Wrote:I think being a mountain school is like a fraternity. Many times people talk about frat parties and things at their fraternity or that they are "greek word greek word greek word forever" (i.e Sigma Pi Epsilon Delta Beta Kappa, etc....)

To me, that is what being a mountain school is about. It is just not understood by most. Maybe the NKY schools get that. Some people look at NKY schools and automatically think they are good because they are a NKY school, sometimes. Maybe it is because they know nothing of the area and they see teams like Beechwood, Highlands, Covington Catholic and NCC succeed over and over again.

I don't think CKY, WKY or City schools have anything to compare it to, so it is hard to understand. I am not as hung up as most about it, but then again my high school alma-mater is somewhat disputed as a mountain school (Rockcastle County) lol
I think Rockcastle is a mountain school. Way more than some other's that are also considered to be on the list.
I see both sides on this one. But, it can't be sided on extended levels of play. Too many
mountain boys that decided not to pursue college ball. I know several. All in all, I will stick with the mountain boys. AND, it would be a Hell of a game !!!
Dragonsdad Wrote:It's comment's like the one in bold that cause Mountain Folk to feel separated from the rest of the state. People think because we have an accent when we speak that we are stupid and uneducated and they must seperate themselves from us. They don't want someone thinking they are a mountain billy.

Seriously??? You mean name calling in 2011 still hurts peoples feelings? Don't getme wrong, I'm not being flippant, I'm being dead serious! Blacks have acceptable and unacceptable names, but they call themselves the names that they will shoot someone else for calling them? Southerners are still called "Rebels" and Northerners are called "Yankees", but is it really something that makes the cultures in both area's get so offended that they have to huddle into their own society and claim FOUL! Damn, I live in NKY, right on the border of Ohio - Guess what, I'm called a Hillbilly every day - But I DON'T CARE! I see people on this very sight, where it's still 80% EKY, call those in TN and WV disparaging names, yet they feel like they have to be kept into a separate segregation from the rest of the state because they are called a name, thus they are not respected??? Honestly, help me, I don't get it. Maybe 200 years ago, but NOW????? Again, I'm not being flippant, I just don't get it!
RoShamBo Wrote:It's not just the mountains. Kentucky as a whole is incredibly regionalized and people hold close regional ties. I can't tell you how many times I've been on BGP and they have threads along the lines of the best freshman OL in NKY or the best kicker in NKY in the past ten years, for example. Is that any different? People talk about what they know, and unfortunately over half the posters on here are from EKY, so 'mountain' football is what they know. I wish this site was less regionalized also but this is where we are.

My family is from the Mountains - I Don't care!!! Am I not being true to my families heritage because I don't care???? In 2008, it was 99.5% EKY, we are getting more posters from around the state, but many leave because they can't get over the renationalized sympathies that many feel are expected. We will get there, but not without continued kicking and screaming:biggrin:
Hey,,, I'm a Mountain Billie.. All Hale the Billies!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist everyone.
City boyz
Dragonsdad Wrote:It's comment's like the one in bold that cause Mountain Folk to feel separated from the rest of the state. People think because we have an accent when we speak that we are stupid and uneducated and they must seperate themselves from us. They don't want someone thinking they are a mountain billy.

You are always going to have some arrogant people on here that stereotype and regionalize things. My point was that most of the seperating seems to be coming from the mountain folk. That in itself may be the cause of some of the regionalizing.
Stardust Wrote:Seriously??? You mean name calling in 2011 still hurts peoples feelings? Don't getme wrong, I'm not being flippant, I'm being dead serious! Blacks have acceptable and unacceptable names, but they call themselves the names that they will shoot someone else for calling them? Southerners are still called "Rebels" and Northerners are called "Yankees", but is it really something that makes the cultures in both area's get so offended that they have to huddle into their own society and claim FOUL! Damn, I live in NKY, right on the border of Ohio - Guess what, I'm called a Hillbilly every day - But I DON'T CARE! I see people on this very sight, where it's still 80% EKY, call those in TN and WV disparaging names, yet they feel like they have to be kept into a separate segregation from the rest of the state because they are called a name, thus they are not respected??? Honestly, help me, I don't get it. Maybe 200 years ago, but NOW????? Again, I'm not being flippant, I just don't get it!
I'm glad it doesn't bother you to be called a hillbilly,SD. It doesn't bother me either. I am proud of my mountain heritage. Call me a hillbilly. I'll thank you for it. But there is a lot of seperation that goes on in the world still yet today. Look at how Diane Sawyer and 20/20 raised people of EKY's ire over the documentary that was done here three or so years ago. How they followed the HC player who was living in his car around and all the trailor trash hollers they went into and the "mountain Dew" smile's on the Kid's face's. They didn't show the good thing's going on. They were trying to garner sympathy for our part of the state. But you could find the same things going on in any city slum and we don't want the negative attention or the sympathy that it brought. We want jobs in this area and highways. Although you and I are proud of the fact a lot that leave here are taught not to be by the rest of the world.
Stardust Wrote:My family is from the Mountains - I Don't care!!! Am I not being true to my families heritage because I don't care???? In 2008, it was 99.5% EKY, we are getting more posters from around the state, but many leave because they can't get over the renationalized sympathies that many feel are expected. We will get there, but not without continued kicking and screaming:biggrin:

I didn't say anything about having to care about your heritage. I'm just saying that a lot of people identify with the region that they come from or live in. I don't really care about regional separations or my family heritage either but that's probably because I'm not from KY originally. All I'm saying is when you are born and live your whole life in the same region you identify with the region and the people who share the region, especially in a distinct, homogenous region like EKY. Not my opinion, just facts.
Hatz Wrote:I would take Brian Brohm over Couch, even in High School. He accomplished more and was close in stats. Factor in the talent he had to compete against I would pick Brohm over Couch.

Just for review:

TD's Couch (133) Brohm (119)

Yards Couch (12,167) Brohm (10,579)

Completions
Couch (875 & 3rd place including his 8th grade passes)
Brohm (698 4th place)

Completion % Couch (63.5 %) Brohm (65.2 %)

Not as hands down as you portray. One could argue the lack of talent Couch may have played with. However the quality of opponents were not the same as what Brohm faced.

Also add in the State Titles factor and advantage Brohm IMO.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/highschool.html

go check out the link.. read what it says at the top then look at #6

Brian Brohm is the second string QB for the Las Vagas Locmotives of the United football league who ever that is.... Tim Couch is married to Playboy Playmate Heather Kozar advantage couch IMO
Dragonsdad Wrote:I'm glad it doesn't bother you to be called a hillbilly,SD. It doesn't bother me either. I am proud of my mountain heritage. Call me a hillbilly. I'll thank you for it. But there is a lot of seperation that goes on in the world still yet today. Look at how Diane Sawyer and 20/20 raised people of EKY's ire over the documentary that was done here three or so years ago. How they followed the HC player who was living in his car around and all the trailor trash hollers they went into and the "mountain Dew" smile's on the Kid's face's. They didn't show the good thing's going on. They were trying to garner sympathy for our part of the state. But you could find the same things going on in any city slum and we don't want the negative attention or the sympathy that it brought. We want jobs in this area and highways. Although you and I are proud of the fact a lot that leave here are taught not to be by the rest of the world.

And the news media shows the positives in any story? Sorry, but that is not unique to the EKY story. If we all get hung on on how we are portrayed, then we will lose a lot of sleep. I guess that you and I won't lose any sleep over what somebody thinks of me in the media's eyes!
Dr. B Wrote:http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/highschool.html

go check out the link.. read what it says at the top then look at #6

Brian Brohm is the second string QB for the Las Vagas Locmotives of the United football league who ever that is.... Tim Couch is married to Playboy Playmate Heather Kozar advantage couch IMO

And all the hype for Couch did what for KY football? How many bowl games did Couch win? And Brohm?

Pro career: Couch was actually better but that's like who's the tallest midget.

High School: How many state titles did Tim win? Brian? Competition played week in and week out?

As to the bottom - Couch does win that one, hands down. :Clap:
If they played 10 times in a row the city would win all 10 and it would not matter what the conditions were. It's nice to be supportive of your region but it's not realistic.
Hatz Wrote:And all the hype for Couch did what for KY football? How many bowl games did Couch win? And Brohm?

Pro career: Couch was actually better but that's like who's the tallest midget.

High School: How many state titles did Tim win? Brian? Competition played week in and week out?

As to the bottom - Couch does win that one, hands down. :Clap:
You say Brian played better competition, I can say he had a better supporting cast around him so I dont want to even start that game.. also brain was in a spread offense

What did he do for UK Football?? he helped turn the program around and lead them to their first bowl since 93

Awards and honorsSecond-team All-SEC (1997)
First-team All-SEC (1998)
First-team All-American (1998)
SEC Player of the Year (1998)
Heisman Trophy finalist (1998)

couch had better #'s in high school,collage, and NFL
Dr. B Wrote:You say Brian played better competition, I can say he had a better supporting cast around him so I dont want to even start that game.. also brain was in a spread offense

What did he do for UK Football?? he helped turn the program around and lead them to their first bowl since 93

Awards and honorsSecond-team All-SEC (1997)
First-team All-SEC (1998)
First-team All-American (1998)
SEC Player of the Year (1998)
Heisman Trophy finalist (1998)

couch had better #'s in high school,collage, and NFL

So you can mention that Brian ran out of a "Spread Offense" as a help to his success and numbers but don't acknowledge the inflated numbers his career at UK could be attributed to the same thing?

The numbers aren't that much greater than you assert and do you not think Leslie County passed a LOT more than Trinity. What if Brohm and been a gun slinger? How greater would his numbers be?

I would also add that in the biggest stage (the playoffs) Couch failed vs. Highlands while Brohm was just a tad better than Michael Bush in an epic title game. He was clutch.

Don't see how UK was "turned around" when they went to two bowl games (one his last year and one the year after he left) and did not go back till '05 season long after his departure.

I'm not on here to debunk the greatness of a great QB like Couch but to claim there's no comparison is just not true.
birdman44 Wrote:Got a lot of hate... I really dont know any mountain schools cause they dont win state. Shelby Clark? Noname City? whatever. I got a list of the teams that have three or more state titles and thought Boyle and Danville were the closest to being "mountain teams" whatever that means.

You mountain billies get some state titles and I"ll remember your schools name.

Cmon your not that slow
LWC Wrote:What is the largest mountain school? One of the Laurel Counties? Harlan County?

South Laurel is the biggest.
I think North Laurel and Whitley County are really clse for second.
I believe Harlan County or Pulaski/Pulaski SW would be next.

I do remember looking at the list during the redistricting and Perry was the smallest in all of 5A.
Oh really what day was that City schools have dominated for the last 40 years
best qb ive ever seen was justin haddix on the 02' breathitt county team.
rockfan11 Wrote:best qb ive ever seen was justin haddix on the 02' breathitt county team.

I agree he was really good
^Sorry guys, Brohm and Couch were better. Bush was not too bad either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
well if mountain schools could recruit then id say they would be better. you know, offering jobs and houses to kids parents and everything...