Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Pre-Season 3A
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I think you have to throw Lawrence County and Sheldon Clark in the pre-season Top 10. E-town? Not so sure, they aren't even the 2nd or 3rd best team in their new district. You have a Henry County team that seems to get no respect even though they have had region championship appearances 2 of the last 3 years. LaRue County has dog whipped E-town the past two years they have played. I also think you have to throw Edmonson County on the watch list as well. If not for the runs that Tilghman was able to put together the past couple years, they play Lou. Central in the semis the past two years.

Either way, 3A looks to be the best class all the way through, I agree. I can't wait to see how the district of Sheldon Clark, Lawrence Co, Belfry, PCC and East Ridge pans out!! :flame:

Central in Tilman has played last 3 yrs in semis
cuppett777 Wrote:they are not 28 points better than Belfry,they had alot of turnovers in that game last year to make it one sided..

Central, laid off Belfry in the 4th quarter, or it could have been very ugly.
1 Central
2 Bell
3 PT
4 Belfry
5 Breathitt
6 Mason
7 Russell
8 Lawerence Co
9 Sheldon Clark
10 Monroe County
cuppett777 Wrote:Central in Tilman has played last 3 yrs in semis

Correct, but the "they" I was referring to was in regards to Edmonson County. I can see where that sounded a little unclear. It should have read, "If not for the runs that Tilghman has the past 2 years, they (Edmonson County) play Central in the semis." :Thumbs:
Hers the whole 3A class
District 1 - Fort Campbell, Heath, Paducah Tilghman, Trigg County, Webster County,
District 2 - Adair County, Edmonson County, Hart County, Monroe County, South Warren
District 3 - Central, Elizabethtown, Henry County, Larue County, Western Hills
District 4 – Bell County, Casey County, Corbin, McCreary Central, Wayne County
District 5 - Bath County, Bourbon County, Estill County, Garrard County, Powell County
District 6 - East Carter, Fleming County, Lewis County, Mason County, West Carter
District 7 - Breathitt County, Jackson County, Knott County Central, Magoffin County, Morgan County
District 8 - Belfry, East Ridge, Lawrence County, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark

Now make your rankings
Old Henry Man Wrote:Central, laid off Belfry in the 4th quarter, or it could have been very ugly.

or you could have said if Belfry holds on to the ball it would have been alot closer, because they did move the ball very well,then they would turn it over, i was there...was Central better ? yes but not 28 points better
Belfry Insider Wrote:Hers the whole 3A class
District 1 - Fort Campbell, Heath, Paducah Tilghman, Trigg County, Webster County,
District 2 - Adair County, Edmonson County, Hart County, Monroe County, South Warren
District 3 - Central, Elizabethtown, Henry County, Larue County, Western Hills
District 4 – Bell County, Casey County, Corbin, McCreary Central, Wayne County
District 5 - Bath County, Bourbon County, Estill County, Garrard County, Powell County
District 6 - East Carter, Fleming County, Lewis County, Mason County, West Carter
District 7 - Breathitt County, Jackson County, Knott County Central, Magoffin County, Morgan County
District 8 - Belfry, East Ridge, Lawrence County, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark

Now make your rankings

you for got to put Russell in there somewhere..
cuppett777 Wrote:or you could have said if Belfry holds on to the ball it would have been alot closer, because they did move the ball very well,then they would turn it over, i was there...was Central better ? yes but not 28 points better

Cursory look at stats reveals that the problem was as much with the Belfry defense as the turnovers.

Central averaged 9.8 yards per play. :yikes:

Belfry averaged a healthy 3.9 but almost 10 yards per play is hard to defeat anyone. Had Belfry held on to the ball they may have scored a few more and they may have kept Central off the field a little more but it doesn't mean the defense would have been any better. http://www.khsaa.org/football/2010/3afinal.htm
Hatz Wrote:Cursory look at stats reveals that the problem was as much with the Belfry defense as the turnovers.

Central averaged 9.8 yards per play. :yikes:

Belfry averaged a healthy 3.9 but almost 10 yards per play is hard to defeat anyone. Had Belfry held on to the ball they may have scored a few more and they may have kept Central off the field a little more but it doesn't mean the defense would have been any better. http://www.khsaa.org/football/2010/3afinal.htm

Belfry has three resounding issues that resulted in the blowout. That compounded off each other perfectly.

1. Tackling- Belfry's tackling was atrocious. If anyone looks back at the game and what Anthony Wales did to Belfry they will see that 90% of his yards came after first contact. Belfry held their own at the LOS and hit Wales either there, or in the backfield, only to see him break the tackle and then explode for a huge gain. The issue here is Wales is not a big back, yet he was breaking tackles like a guy that was 6'2 200.

2. Speed- Once Central broke the initial tackle and got into the open field they were in a different class in terms of speed and Belfry literally had no one who could run them down. To make matters worse, Dixon was the only Pirate who was able to consistently take the correct angle in an attempt to end the big play.

3. Turnovers- Belfry moved the ball well and had a good surge all day. The turnovers were killers though. Not only because it took away any momentum the Pirates could muster, but it consistently resulted in absolutely horrible field position. This then transgressed to Central having a short field most of the day which they took full advantage of.

Central was clearly in a different class from the young, over-achieving Pirates. Haywood has ventured out of the mountains with Henry Clay on the schedule to try and help them see Central caliber speed and athleticism. I am holding out hope that the tackling will improve with experience. For ANY 3A team to defeat Central they have got to eliminate turnovers and mental mistakes. Bell County, Tilghman, Ft. Campbell, etc can not even remotely come close to Central's speed and athleticism... you have got to beat them with execution and by making them put the ball in the air.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry has three resounding issues that resulted in the blowout. That compounded off each other perfectly.

1. Tackling- Belfry's tackling was atrocious. If anyone looks back at the game and what Anthony Wales did to Belfry they will see that 90% of his yards came after first contact. Belfry held their own at the LOS and hit Wales either there, or in the backfield, only to see him break the tackle and then explode for a huge gain. The issue here is Wales is not a big back, yet he was breaking tackles like a guy that was 6'2 200.

2. Speed- Once Central broke the initial tackle and got into the open field they were in a different class in terms of speed and Belfry literally had no one who could run them down. To make matters worse, Dixon was the only Pirate who was able to consistently take the correct angle in an attempt to end the big play.

3. Turnovers- Belfry moved the ball well and had a good surge all day. The turnovers were killers though. Not only because it took away any momentum the Pirates could muster, but it consistently resulted in absolutely horrible field position. This then transgressed to Central having a short field most of the day which they took full advantage of.

Central was clearly in a different class from the young, over-achieving Pirates. Haywood has ventured out of the mountains with Henry Clay on the schedule to try and help them see Central caliber speed and athleticism. I am holding out hope that the tackling will improve with experience. For ANY 3A team to defeat Central they have got to eliminate turnovers and mental mistakes. Bell County, Tilghman, Ft. Campbell, etc can not even remotely come close to Central's speed and athleticism... you have got to beat them with execution and by making them put the ball in the air.

Very good synopsis. I also agree, any 3A team playing Central must be at the top of their game to hang with them.

In Eastern KY I would be inclined to think that District 8 is probably the most competitive, for on a given night an upset can occur. For example, last season who would have thought Sheldon Clark would have beaten Belfry, or that Russell would have eliminated Pike County Central.

Well, I guess that's the reason we play the game.
Wrong districts , they were revamped , for example: Bourbon, Powell, Western Hills, Garrard, Bath and Estill, are in one District, it will be a wild year , with Central still on top till someone figures out their team speed. Will be a great year of football in 3a
I think their will be a Central and Belfry matchup again