Calloway County 8 1844 231
Pulaski County 7 1610 230
Perry Central 7 1611 230
Prestonsburg 8 1772 222
Clark County 7 1489 213
Henry County 7 1463 209
Ballard Memorial 7 1411 202

There is no category that I could find for "Total Offense."

However I think that scoring, which I posted earlier, is a big indicator of balance as well. The best O-Lines, IMO, belong to the teams that score the most. All the yardage is great but scoring is the objective of the offense. Great O Lines lead teams to score more. :Thumbs:

Since we are obviously all giving opinions, here's mine:

I guess if you are going to try to use stats to pick the best O line, then scoring would be the best. But if I may respectfully disagree with you, none of the stats really are a solid indicator of what O line is the best. Level of competition greatly affects points scored, rushing yards gained and passing yards gained. Play a bunch of very tough teams and numbers will reflect. Play a bunch of weak teams with the starters staying in and the numbers will reflect. Play a bunch of weak teams with the starters getting pulled at half and the numbers will reflect. The only way to accurately judge who has the best O line is to watch each team in the state play several times, which is of course impossible.

Size is definitely the most over-rated way to judge a high school O line. Might be helpful getting a college scholarship but is not an accurate barometer of being a very good high school player. I've watched some very big and highly recruited high school O linemen over the years (whom, as a result of playing the O line myself, I watched very closely) and there have been very, very few that I was impressed with. The last one was a kid name Conner Smith of Cincy Colerain back in 05. He was big, quick, fast and flat out nasty. Went to Ohio State. Not being a Buckeye fan, I have no idea what happened to him.
there is an 8th grader incorbin who is 6'2 or 6'3 about 225 with enough speed to out run a half back 50 yards with an intercepted pass in 7th grade state championship game last year that could be a dandy. remember caleb rollins name
Connor Smith is still currently a senior at Ohio State, where he starts at Guard. He's started since last season, and was rated on Rivals as a 4 star offensive lineman coming out of HS.
ryandamaste5 Wrote:Connor Smith is still currently a senior at Ohio State, where he starts at Guard. He's started since last season, and was rated on Rivals as a 4 star offensive lineman coming out of HS.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like he's doing well. I watched him just totally destroy his down lineman assignment and then get down field and block a cornerback when Colerain played Highlands in 05. And it didn't just do it once, he did it multiple times. Since then we've played against some pretty hyped big O linemen that did okay when their team was running the ball right behind them, but were really poor at run blocking when the ball went elsewhere and in their pass blocking because they were so slow. They may have been fast/quick for their size, but they were still slow.

I hate to say something bad about a kid that is no longer alive, but Highlands D line and LBers ate up Kyle James of Cincy St X last year. He was one of the highest recruited O linemen in the country. Was 6'7", 290 pounds and I'm sure would have developed into a really good college O lineman. But the simple fact was that he didn't have the foot speed and quickness to block smaller high school D linemen and LBers, and thus wasn't very effective. And a lot of the other kids on X's O line last year were also very, very big. I think I remember a stat from the TV coverage of that game that X's O line averaged 260 pounds and Highlands D line averaged 190 pounds. But X simply could not run the ball on Highlands last year because Highlands was so much faster and quicker than X's O line.
The Patriots are an option team with 2 very good running backs and a QB that makes great reads.
charlie22 Wrote:Since we are obviously all giving opinions, here's mine:

I guess if you are going to try to use stats to pick the best O line, then scoring would be the best. But if I may respectfully disagree with you, none of the stats really are a solid indicator of what O line is the best. Level of competition greatly affects points scored, rushing yards gained and passing yards gained. Play a bunch of very tough teams and numbers will reflect. Play a bunch of weak teams with the starters staying in and the numbers will reflect. Play a bunch of weak teams with the starters getting pulled at half and the numbers will reflect. The only way to accurately judge who has the best O line is to watch each team in the state play several times, which is of course impossible.

Size is definitely the most over-rated way to judge a high school O line. Might be helpful getting a college scholarship but is not an accurate barometer of being a very good high school player. I've watched some very big and highly recruited high school O linemen over the years (whom, as a result of playing the O line myself, I watched very closely) and there have been very, very few that I was impressed with. The last one was a kid name Conner Smith of Cincy Colerain back in 05. He was big, quick, fast and flat out nasty. Went to Ohio State. Not being a Buckeye fan, I have no idea what happened to him.

I only used the stats as "a factor" not "the only factor." Your observations are correct IMO concerning how a unit performs. But since the question at hand is so subjective, I thought using some statistical data is a good starting point rather than just "My line's the greatest cause I say so." It's all good. :Thumbs:
TOP 15 RUSHING LEADERS
(playing a minimum of 8 games)
(ranked by net yards rushing average)
Player School Gms Att Yds TD Avg
Corey Lyle Greenup County 9 195 2060 25 229
Anthony Wales Central 9 182 2024 22 225
Cody Hendrickson Pineville 8 117 1562 23 195
Cameron Thomas East Jessamine 9 172 1726 19 192
Clarke Rowe Rockcastle County 9 223 1571 14 175
Tim Smith Shelby Valley 9 159 1565 12 174
Travis Elliott Ryle 9 189 1516 21 168
Zack Reynolds North Bullitt 9 210 1489 17 165
Darmontre Warr DuPont Manual 9 175 1442 14 160
Hunter James Lawrence County 9 112 1338 24 149
Casey Adkins Betsy Layne 9 131 1316 13 146
Darius Wickware Franklin-Simpson 9 142 1297 13 144
Lucas Crawley Hopkins Central 9 183 1275 16 142
Jordan Oppenheimer Boone County 8 200 1098 13 137
Darrell Cross Rowan County 8 121 1076 14 135

Corey Lyle for Greenup #2 in the state 20 yrds behind Jhonson centrals JJ Jude, who did not report stats to khsaa. So has to says something about greenups o-line with another back for greenup that has almost 900 and has sat out two and a half games this season.