Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset/Pulaski Co. - Who would win?
RoShamBo Wrote:Actually PC never beat us and SW only beat us once while I was a "real Jumper" so I really don't care if we play PC and SW once a season or ten times a season. Somerset owned PC prior to the Correll Bowl, something to the tune of like 6 straight wins until PC finally beat Somerset in the Correll Bowl in 2004. Just had to clear that up.

If you remember PC didnt really have a good team until just last year.
Captain Backdoor Wrote:If you remember PC didnt really have a good team until just last year.

They have had a lot of good teams in the past 10-15 years actually, not as good as the teams they have fielded the past two years but still pretty good teams. Cole Draughn's junior and senior year they were pretty good. I know that just in the past decade I have heard that PC was fielding their "best team ever" at least 5 times.

Captain Backdoor Wrote:I wasn't just talking about revenue for Somerset. I was talking about all the schools.

I know, that's why I said as far as Somerset is concerned. The Correll Bowl is the biggest event in high school football in Pulaski County so I'm just saying they shouldn't change the way things are now just to get another in-county game.
RoShamBo Wrote:They have had a lot of good teams in the past 10-15 years actually, not as good as the teams they have fielded the past two years but still pretty good teams. Cole Draughn's junior and senior year they were pretty good. I know that just in the past decade I have heard that PC was fielding their "best team ever" at least 5 times.

I know, that's why I said as far as Somerset is concerned. The Correll Bowl is the biggest event in high school football in Pulaski County so I'm just saying they shouldn't change the way things are now just to get another in-county game.

Yes during the CoalTrain era PC was decent. I don't think Eastham is half the QB that Draughn was IMO. I wouldn't say that this team is any better than Draughn's teams was maybe if we were playing in the same alignment that Draughn was playing in. Since the KHSAA has re-aligned the districts and classes it seems that the competition has gotten weaker for all 3 County Schools. Look back to the 98 district championship team at Southwestern, Do you remember who they had to come from behind to beat for the 1st district championship? None other than Dudley Hilton's Bobcats. I think the final score was something like 29-20. I think if the districts were the same Pulaski and Southwestern wouldn't have a snowballs chance.

I am not saying cancel the bowl game that would be stupid to do. I would be ok with seeing Somerset and Southwestern playing in the Correll Bowl year in and year out. And Somerset and Pulaski playing in the Don Marshall Bowl year in and year out. While I understand that this is just wishful thinking I think alot of fans would be ok with it as well.
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb/4362
Here's a look back at the 1998 Southwestern football Schedule.
wiseguy85 Wrote:First off,it is far fetched to think they could easily handle PC's offense. The maroons are not a push over so that is silly statement. And whole district thing is bunk. PLease explain how that is too much for them? Who would they play instead? I have always heard for the purple and gold faithful that they are on the same level (on the field) as the county schools. And for the most part, pre- Correll Bowl days Somerset did stand on par with them. So because they are playing in a real district, they should hide from the county schools? Nah, real Jumpers would never hide from PC. You sure you are real Jumper?
I also have heard some grumblings that the money may change for the for the Correll Bowl - the the bad. :flush:

Agreed.:Thumbs:
And if Somerset could easily handle Pulaski's offense then why would it be too much to ask to play them? I don't understand. Sort of contradicting yourself with that one.
I don't think Somerset could necessarily contain PC's offense. But I don't think that PC would run over the Jumpers either.
Captain Backdoor Wrote:Yes during the CoalTrain era PC was decent. I don't think Eastham is half the QB that Draughn was IMO. I wouldn't say that this team is any better than Draughn's teams was maybe if we were playing in the same alignment that Draughn was playing in. Since the KHSAA has re-aligned the districts and classes it seems that the competition has gotten weaker for all 3 County Schools. Look back to the 98 district championship team at Southwestern, Do you remember who they had to come from behind to beat for the 1st district championship? None other than Dudley Hilton's Bobcats. I think the final score was something like 29-20. I think if the districts were the same Pulaski and Southwestern wouldn't have a snowballs chance.

I am not saying cancel the bowl game that would be stupid to do. I would be ok with seeing Somerset and Southwestern playing in the Correll Bowl year in and year out. And Somerset and Pulaski playing in the Don Marshall Bowl year in and year out. While I understand that this is just wishful thinking I think alot of fans would be ok with it as well.

Draughn was a horse, and they rode him as far as they could in 2003. I'll never forget the 82-68 game with Waggener that season.

I really don't care if we play them both every year or not. If we could work something out to where Somerset plays whoever they don't play in the Correll Bowl every year I would be fine with that. I am just a huge fan of the Ray Correll Bowl and don't want to see it compromised in the least. Somerset is the biggest benefactor of the current system. Honestly I think the success that Somerset is enjoying right now has a lot to do with the level of attention of that the Ray Correll Bowl receives.
While I'll agree with the part about Somerset benefiting the most from the Ray Correll Bowl. I'll disagree with the part about the success is coming from the attention that the bowl gets. The kids have a ton of heart and fight in them. That is what wins them ball games not the attention that the Correll Bowl gets.
RoShamBo Wrote:I really don't care if we play them both every year or not. If we could work something out to where Somerset plays whoever they don't play in the Correll Bowl every year I would be fine with that. I am just a huge fan of the Ray Correll Bowl and don't want to see it compromised in the least. Somerset is the biggest benefactor of the current system. Honestly I think the success that Somerset is enjoying right now has a lot to do with the level of attention of that the Ray Correll Bowl receives.

That is what I was thinking. Play one in the Correll Bowl and the other in the Don Marshall Bowl. I see no reason why this wouldn't happen.
wiseguy85 Wrote:That is what I was thinking. Play one in the Correll Bowl and the other in the Don Marshall Bowl. I see no reason why this wouldn't happen.

This is exactly what I said a few post ago.
The two bowl game scenario that some of you proposed is the best way to implement Somerset playing both county schools.

Adding Danville, Middlesboro and Lexington Christian as district games dramatically changes Somerset's district competition starting next year.

Back to the subject of this thread.......
Somerset and Pulaski both have really good teams this year.

Pulaski is big and strong up front on both sides of the line. QB, RB and #1WR are all exceptional athletes with quick strike capabilities.

Somerset is strong up front but not as big as Pulaski. The difference this year is that Somerset has more game changing athletes than does Pulaski. Somerset's QB, #1RB, #2RB, #3RB, #1WR and #2 WR are all very dangerous and are game changers that can all score anytime they get the ball.
PC by 2 TD's
Somerset Joins The Don Marshall Bowl next year.