Poll: Who wins the 5A Championship?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Highlands
90.91%
John Hardin
9.09%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands vs. John Hardin (5A State Championship)
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The No.17 Bulldogs lead Class 5-A in scoring (40 ppg) and scoring defense (8.8 ppg). Quarterback Alex Dingle has passed for 1,752 yards and 24 TDs with just five interceptions. Landon Savoy (1,066 yards, 13 TDs) and Michael Wright (779 yards, 11 TDs) are the top running backs, and Jeremy Harness (40 catches, 665 yards, six TDs) is the top receiver

Here's some info for all the Bluebird fans this coming friday........

The teams they played on average gave up more points than they scored. I read where 4 of the teams they played had a combined recored of 4-38. Is that true?

They will not be playing Madison Central on Friday.
I initially didn't pay to much attention to their schedule, but NCC played a team that JH played this year and the outcome was about the same, which makes me wonder a little more about the schedule. I guess we will know on Friday.
Good find NCC. I still think this team will give Highlands all that and then some. Here's an exerpt from the JH/Oldham Co. game a couple weeks agao from Chuck Jones: The John Hardin defense limited South Oldham to 164 yards of total offense – 90 of which came in the fourth quarter. The Bulldogs, who entered the game holding opponents to 34.4 rushing yards a game, gave up just 24 yards on the ground

Their D sounds tough and their QB likes to air it out. Highlands doesn't have the best pass defense by any stretch. Bruns seemingly waits for the receiver to catch it before pummeling him or otherwise interfering. This game gets more interesting by the minute....
NCC41 Wrote:I initially didn't pay to much attention to their schedule, but NCC played a team that JH played this year and the outcome was about the same, which makes me wonder a little more about the schedule. I guess we will know on Friday.

I did not realize the common opponent with NCC; very interesting.
keep in mind the Madison Central game was the first game of the season for JH. The JV played half of the 3rd and all of the 4th. With most good teams, this is normally the trend.
Just give the trophy to Highlands already. Why is there even any debate here?
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Just give the trophy to Highlands already. Why is there even any debate here?

No disrespect to JH but I don't see this game being as close as some think it will be. Highlands D will stop JH offense, sure JH may score 7 -14 points but thats it and thats not enough to beat Highlands. Highlands O will not have much of a problem scoring in this game. I know a lot of people have talked about JH speed but they haven't seen speed like Highlands all year. I compare JH teams to Withrow of Cincinnati which is a good team as well. Good luck to both teams, Go Birds!!!:popcorn:
sstack Wrote:showing your ignorance, Collinsworth is not the fastest on the team.

You missed my point and i did say Highlands is a very solid team and will probably win. I have not put a stopwatch on the Hihglands team, but when i saw them play Collinsworth seemed the only breakaway threat. As a whole I saw several teams with alot more speed this year. What I am saying is a faster team could create matchup problems and I think several comments in this thread reflect that.
pigskin Wrote:No disrespect to JH but I don't see this game being as close as some think it will be. Highlands D will stop JH offense, sure JH may score 7 -14 points but thats it and thats not enough to beat Highlands. Highlands O will not have much of a problem scoring in this game. I know a lot of people have talked about JH speed but they haven't seen speed like Highlands all year. I compare JH teams to Withrow of Cincinnati which is a good team as well. Good luck to both teams, Go Birds!!!:popcorn:

I could kinda compare JH with Withrow, speed and athletic, however they don't look to me that they have the athletic Stature that teams like Withrow have. By this I see small quick athletic, but not 6' 3 230 athletic types.
sstack Wrote:I did not realize the common opponent with NCC; very interesting.

I didn't realize until I listened to the archived broadcast of the Highlands v. Pulaski game that one of the running backs for Pulaski had 16 touchdowns this year and over a 1000 yds rushing. You would not have known that by watching the game the other night. Big numbers can be very deceptive especially when you are not playing stellar teams.
No need in putting down JH's schedule. No need to talk about how easily Highlands defeated so and so, such as Pulaski. Bottom line is this, Highlands wins and wins easily. It's that simple and should be left at that. The vast majority respects Highlands. Don't put a negative light on their image. Just let them keep winning.
tradition Wrote:I could kinda compare JH with Withrow, speed and athletic, however they don't look to me that they have the athletic Stature that teams like Withrow have. By this I see small quick athletic, but not 6' 3 230 athletic types.

I agree!!! The size would be the biggest difference between the two other than that I think they are somewhat similar.
I believe JH will give the Birds a game, but HHS proves to be too much in the 4th.

Best of luck to both!
yes, great story. Highlands fans will know one thing win or lose that these kids will give it everything they've got come friday night.......
MonsterMan Wrote:You missed my point and i did say Highlands is a very solid team and will probably win. I have not put a stopwatch on the Hihglands team, but when i saw them play Collinsworth seemed the only breakaway threat. As a whole I saw several teams with alot more speed this year. What I am saying is a faster team could create matchup problems and I think several comments in this thread reflect that.

You are right, Bardo does not have breakaway speed.:lmao:
Shock and Awe in Bowling Green...back2back2back...3peat...#19.

The song remains the same...Highlands reigns supreme!
Gentlemen, it's time to play some football. See you in Bowling Green. Come up and introduce yourselves. I'll be the guy in the hat with the blue "H" on it.:biggrin:
HeHateMe Wrote:Shock and Awe in Bowling Green...back2back2back...3peat...#19.

The song remains the same...Highlands reigns supreme!

i belive it will be harder then that i think highlands and john hardin will be a good game but i think highlands can be beat UPSET 44-38
Can you dig it? Wrote:Gentlemen, it's time to play some football. See you in Bowling Green. Come up and introduce yourselves. I'll be the guy in the hat with the blue "H" on it.:biggrin:

I have a big hug waiting for you, pal. I'll have a blue hat on as well. Go Birds!
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I have a big hug waiting for you, pal. I'll have a blue hat on as well. Go Birds!

Sheeesh, Get a room.:yikes:
Good luck to both teams, Hope we have a game on our hands...
I think that im going to take JHHS in the matchup. JHHS is a much more talented school and they will probely take the hopes of another title hop from the birdies early. Im saying JHHS 49-21
JHHS OWNS Wrote:I think that im going to take JHHS in the matchup. JHHS is a much more talented school and they will probely take the hopes of another title hop from the birdies early. Im saying JHHS 49-21

LOL :lmao:
Birds will brings it home... back2back2back...
I have a feeling it's AC's night.......GO BIRDS@!!!!
i think it willl be close but highlands wins by 10
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...912040382/

John Hardin enters tonight's Class 5A state final against Highlands with Kentucky's best run defense. But if you think John Hardin coach Mark Brown isn't concerned about stopping the run, you obviously haven't seen Highlands play.

Brown has.

"It all concerns me," he said this week. "What doesn't concern me?

"They're a great team with a great tradition. They do things right. I've seen the tape. And the thing that sticks out most is how they execute on the line of scrimmage. They're great blockers and that's a big concern. That's where games are won."

The Bulldogs boast one of the state's top defensive lines - a unit that includes all-state nominees William Burford, Stanley Johnson and Matt Linton. Highlands, ranked sixth in the country by USA Today, counters with one of the state's best offensive lines - a unit led by all-state nominees Tyler Grubbs and Hunter Schlosser.

Behind that offensive line, Highlands has rushed for an average of 254 yards per game despite injuries to its two best runners - Will Bardo and Austin Collinsworth. Both will play tonight, and both will bring athleticism that Brown admits is tough to simulate in practice.

"We've seen some teams that run similar offensive sets to them," he said of the Bluebirds, "but we haven't seen anyone who executes them quite like Highlands."

John Hardin has allowed just 558 rushing yards all season - an average of just 39.8 per game.

"They've had a great season," said Highlands coach Dale Mueller. "They've held about four or five teams to negative offensive yards. They've dominated teams. They hardly play anyone both ways, and they're a fast team that plays good football."

John Hardin, one of six teams still undefeated, beat South Oldham, Doss and Oldham County in the first three rounds of the playoffs. The Bulldogs then pulled off a 28-21 upset at Bowling Green to reach the finals.

Brown said he realizes his team will need an even bigger shocker to win the program's first state title.

"Our kids know what they're up against. They know about the national rankings," he said. "But this is the first time our kids have been there, so they're caught up in the moment. They're not too concerned with who they play. They just want to get down there and play.

"But they've watched film and they understand Highlands is a great team. We're going to have to play a great game to beat them."
MonsterMan Wrote:I have not seen JH play so I can not give a good solid prediction. Highlands is a very good team and Collinsworth is the real deal. Highland is a well coached, fundamtnally sound team that makes few mistakes and makes you pay for the ones you make. That being said, outside of Collinsworth there is not that much speed. If JH is atheletic and has speed they could cause some match up problems, but it will be very hard for anyone to beat this Highlands team, I think this will be their year, again.

You stiil feel that way about the speed!!!