Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coach in the Mountains?
1) Phillip Haywood - Prestonsburg/Belfry
2) Hillard Howard - Pikeville/Letcher Central
3) Dudley Hilton - Bell County
4) Mike Holcomb - Breathitt County
5) John Derossett - Betsy Layne/Prestonsburg
Must be "Averagisys", the Greek God of Mediocrity then... how many playoff games has the almighty one been victorious in?

Can we all agree that at least winning a playoff game is a requirement to be involved in this discussion? I mean we now even have completely irrelevant nominations for coaches like Bert Browne!

Dudley Hilton, Mike Halcomb, Haywood, or anyone else would not of done a better job at Perry than Bert Browne has. Put Browne at Bell, Belfry, or another mountain football school and you will see right away that he is one of the best.
I still don't understand how anyone can make a list of the best coaches in the moutains and no include Jim Matney.....
Haywood, Hilton & Larkey
TooFast Wrote:I still don't understand how anyone can make a list of the best coaches in the moutains and no include Jim Matney.....

Matney is in the top 10, but the 5 I listed above have a much better resume with playoff victories, state runner-ups, and state championships.
Hilton, Haywood , Holcomb, McGLONE!!!
ole bert browne...look what he has done the last 2 years
king360 Wrote:ole bert browne...look what he has done the last 2 years

10-14 in his time and a first round blowout playoff loss in the weakest 5A class in the state to a weak Clay County team.

So he is on the same level as Chester McCoy at Magoffin County who has went 10-15 and also made a playoff appearance.
warmachine Wrote:Can we all agree that at least winning a playoff game is a requirement to be involved in this discussion?

How about we take in consideration of coaches that work just as hard in developing fine young men as well as fine young players. Coaches that are concerned and work for their players in the classroom as much as on the field. Have concern for their players well being over their own ego or winning at all costs. A coach that works hard for his kids as much as his kids work for him. a coach that cares what happens to his players after football. A coach that wants his players to be successful in life over wins and losses.
I would take a coach with character and no play-off wins over self minded coaches that only measure their successes with a win/loss record.
Are their any coaches out there like this?
The Guru Wrote:How about we take in consideration of coaches that work just as hard in developing fine young men as well as fine young players. Coaches that are concerned and work for their players in the classroom as much as on the field. Have concern for their players well being over their own ego or winning at all costs. A coach that works hard for his kids as much as his kids work for him. a coach that cares what happens to his players after football. A coach that wants his players to be successful in life over wins and losses.
I would take a coach with character and no play-off wins over self minded coaches that only measure their successes with a win/loss record.

Yes, and they also are quite a few who also have the wins to go with it. Ex: haywood, Howard, Larkey, etc
matney will have a tough time. If he can get past covington cathloic and highlands in the playoffs, then he is top 5 in my opionion.
I am not taking anything away from Holcomb, but when he was in 3A before they move them down to 2A, they never done nothing. and next year they might be 4A, if they move them up to 4A. They want do nothing. They want win another state title. they have 400 some FR. next year, and that would move them up a class.
wrong post
You cant forget the hot jim Bob McColley at LCC.
Mike Jones from estill. Many beleive he will follow his seniors out the door this year but i think that he will stay
estillforlife Wrote:Mike Jones from estill. Many believe he will follow his seniors out the door this year but i think that he will stay

He has a losing record and went 0-10 just two years ago I believe.
cj2561 Wrote:I am not taking anything away from Holcomb, but when he was in 3A before they move them down to 2A, they never done nothing. and next year they might be 4A, if they move them up to 4A. They want do nothing. They want win another state title. they have 400 some FR. next year, and that would move them up a class.

They dont have 400 freshmen next year maybe 200 at the most
well I'm going to have to say Haywood....
But coach Saunders from Shelby Valley sure knows his football....he is really a peoples person...and his language can get out of hand sometimes but he has straightened up lately...hes done an amazing job with Shelby Valley and now they're ranked top 10 in the state in 2a...hes a great coach and knows his football very well...
Mcnamee @ Pike Central
The Guru Wrote:How about we take in consideration of coaches that work just as hard in developing fine young men as well as fine young players. Coaches that are concerned and work for their players in the classroom as much as on the field. Have concern for their players well being over their own ego or winning at all costs. A coach that works hard for his kids as much as his kids work for him. a coach that cares what happens to his players after football. A coach that wants his players to be successful in life over wins and losses.

In my opinion this describes Coach Shawn Hager to a tee. He cares about every kid, on and off the field. He is a great role model and the kids love him. He is a great coach. He understands that coaching is not just about the game.
Haywood, Hilton, Halcomb are my top 3. Maybe even throw Jay Cobb from summerset in there.
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
cardinal mom Wrote:In my opinion this describes Coach Shawn Hager to a tee. He cares about every kid, on and off the field. He is a great role model and the kids love him. He is a great coach. He understands that coaching is not just about the game.
SCHS is very lucky then!
When I played, we had a head Coach and an asst Coach that were like this.