Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best high school football coach in eastern KY
*Just a reminder to everyone to try and use correct spelling and grammar.*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As you may haveread in another post on here Russells starting fullback is in the hospital after a motorcycle wreck with a broken leg and ALOT of road rash. Just so happens that I ran into the head coach IVAN McGLONE at the hospital so I took him up to see ADAM. The great thing about the visit was watching a coach who has the chance to go back to L-Ville and play for a state championship this year,, look at Adam in the bed and say' " I dont care about you playing football, I am just thankful that I can talk to you right now and you are here, thats what is most important, you are alive and everything else is just CAKE!!"
To me that is what seperates good coaches from being great people.
Ivan McGlone is one of those people !!!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:As you may haveread in another post on here Russells starting fullback is in the hospital after a motorcycle wreck with a broken leg and ALOT of road rash. Just so happens that I ran into the head coach IVAN McGLONE at the hospital so I took him up to see ADAM. The great thing about the visit was watching a coach who has the chance to go back to L-Ville and play for a state championship this year,, look at Adam in the bed and say' " I dont care about you playing football, I am just thankful that I can talk to you right now and you are here, thats what is most important, you are alive and everything else is just CAKE!!"

I'm sure that made Adam's day... thanks for sharing that with us.
BballFan10 Wrote:Who do you all think has been the best high school football coach in eastern kentucky of all time?

Philip Haywood Belfry
doj23 Wrote:Philip Haywood Belfry

Mike Holcomb and the Breathitt Bobcats. Look for a rematch in the semi's.
Hillard Howard has something stirred up in Whitesburg also!
Don't forget about Dudley Hilton's Bell Bobcats either.
Philip Haywood
Im partial to Ivan Mcglone!!! lol haha
Man are we blessed to have had so many great coaches in the mountains??? I would like to add 2 names that would elude most lists, but if you knew what they accomplished at the small school in the mountains, you would agree. Shorty Jamerson (a grad of UK who score 12 of 13 points in the 1951 Sugar Bowl) and Don Daniels (father of South Floyd coach Donnie Daniels) took their Wheelwright Trojans against some of the best teams in the mountains. No, they never went to state, but they produced some competitive teams beating Pikeville in 1976 14-13 (I think). They did their job without fanfare and without much talent. Just two great men who coached.
Hillard Howard for Pikeville in the late 80's made his name stand out to me. IMO
In no particular order, I would have to say Brugh, the 4 H's, and McGlone.
On a side note, didn't Elkhorn City win the state championshipin the early sixties? Who was their coach?
jack hall 1964
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:As you may haveread in another post on here Russells starting fullback is in the hospital after a motorcycle wreck with a broken leg and ALOT of road rash. Just so happens that I ran into the head coach IVAN McGLONE at the hospital so I took him up to see ADAM. The great thing about the visit was watching a coach who has the chance to go back to L-Ville and play for a state championship this year,, look at Adam in the bed and say' " I dont care about you playing football, I am just thankful that I can talk to you right now and you are here, thats what is most important, you are alive and everything else is just CAKE!!"

Very nice post.
I've been gone in South Carolina for the last eight years covering a pair of coaches named Ringer & Wallace who between them have no less than six guys playing on Sundays. Whaterver happened to B.J. Ward?
Anyone know the whereabouts of B.J. Ward?
As always when this topic or another topic of this nature arises, people will voice who they think is the best based on their own set of criteria - Is the coach with the most wins the best? How about the one who shapes or molds the most young lives? What about the one who produces the most college prospects? etc. There are multiple ways a person can be objective in trying to defend their choice as who is the "best".
OK2NV Wrote:Hillard Howard Pikeville, LCC
Philip Haywood Belfry
Mike Holcomb Breathitt Co.
Dudley Hilton Bell
Kenny Roark Middlesboro
Jim Matney JC
Tom Larkey Rock

I would say that this is the list in no particular order that most fans would agree. These guys are the elite in east ky.

Give him a few years and Tom Larkey will have 300 wins, Hopefully a majority of them will come against Dudley Hilton!
I can't start a thread yet so I thought I would ask here since we are talking about coaches what about the players who are some of the best all time players?
I do agree that Coach McGLONE is one of the best coaches of all time in the hills and through out the state, but i would like to add Coach Bill Tom Ross, coached at a coulpe schools but was a big part in making Raceland football what it is today.
B. J. has been an assistant coach at Paintsville, I don't know if he stayed after the coaching change that just took place? Maybe someone else could add to this.
What is the requirements for this argument, wins, class, no probation. Just what are we looking for to make a case for coaches?
Bob Lutz best coach in the area by leaps and bounds. I mean leaps and bounds.
I know he's not actually in Eastern Kentucky, but he's dominated it. I would of liked to have seen what he could have done at Ashland or Russell, who I personally think have had more talent.
EkyLb Wrote:I know he's not actually in Eastern Kentucky, but he's dominated it. I would of liked to have seen what he could have done at Ashland or Russell, who I personally think have had more talent.

There's no way Russell or Ashland has had more talent than Lutz has had at Ironton. To the best of my knowledge niether school recruits like they do across the river.

Dont get me wrong both schools have very hard working players and very talented players as well. And Russell has one of the best coaches period,And I am in noway trying to disrespect anyone from Russell or Ashland.I have a lot of respect for thier programs.

If you picked the best players from Russell,Ashland,Raceland,Belfry,Mason,and Breathitt and let Ivan coach them year in and year out he would have double digit state title wins.

If Lutz would have been at Russell he wouldn't have the record coach Ivan has had.He is a very good coach though and do not want to take anything away from his accomplishmens.And he does get the best players in the southeastern Ohio to come and play for him.Have to give him credit for that as well
What about coach whitaker from powell county who use to coach for christain county. He has put over 60 kids in college playing football, name another coach who has done that!
duhhh....Belfry's Phillip Haywood
Phillip Haywood
Ivan McGlone (I consider Russell to be in EKY)
Mike Holcomb
Hillard Howard
Redneck Wrote:Phillip Haywood
Ivan McGlone (I consider Russell to be in EKY)
Mike Holcomb
Hillard Howard

Where else would you have them?
Tie Phillip haywood,Dudley Hilton. Tom Larky close second.
Hillard Howard-LCC
Love 'em or hate 'em, it's hard to ignore Breathitt Co.'s 3 state championships. As a previous poster said, it depends on the criteria being used to evaluate. Holcomb has built a heck of a program there.