8.Whitley County
9. North Laurel
10. Lawrence County
Doesn’t matter what year it is, you will have rock over bell
Overreaction to first live scrimmages I would have:

1) Corbin
2) Belfry
3) Pikeville

Belfry probably the most settled in their personnel this early. All 3 capable of beating each other. I think those 3 a little better than the rest but won’t count out JC.
Did you watch the scrimmages at Lawrence?
(08-10-2024, 10:55 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Did you watch the scrimmages at Lawrence?
Martin county looked surprisingly well through the air last night. Need to work out some kinks with the young offensive line.
I thought Martin looked okay at times and not so good at other times. Their quarterback has good size and looks the part, just didn’t have many weapons to throw it too.
(08-09-2024, 07:09 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 01:38 AM)SmashMouth17 Wrote: 1. Pikeville
2. Corbin
3. Belfry
4. Johnson Central
5. Southwestern
6. Rock
7. Bell
8.Whitley County
9. North Laurel
10. Lawrence County
Doesn’t matter what year it is, you will have rock over bell
It’s called preseason rankings. We have nothing to base anything off of for this season. Everyone is 0-0. Rock beat Bell last year at log mountain and if Rocks RPI would have put them ahead of Bell last year Rock would have done the exact same thing Bell did and Lex Catholic would have ended Bell season same as they did ours. Bell lost the majority of their offense and Mr do everything in Thomas so they are in the same boat as we are. We return nearly all of our defense same as Bell and so we’re back on even terms again this season. This years game is played at Rock and has been circled since last year on the calendar as always. We shall see.
(08-10-2024, 10:48 AM)Belichick Wrote: Overreaction to first live scrimmages I would have:

1) Corbin
2) Belfry
3) Pikeville

Belfry probably the most settled in their personnel this early. All 3 capable of beating each other. I think those 3 a little better than the rest but won’t count out JC.
I thought Corbin looked very impressive last night. Whether they have closed the gap with Boyle remains to be seen. The overall consensus from most of the crowd was thankfulness that the Greer era was over. There still is a lot of bitterness over Greer waiting until June to announce his retirement.
Wasn't able to be at the Pikeville/Breathitt scrimmage Thursday eve. but would anyone from Pikeville that saw it, would you say Panthers looked impressive or mediocre ? Knowing that a scrimmage is what it is, still, it should give some indication.
(08-10-2024, 02:13 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Wasn't able to be at the Pikeville/Breathitt scrimmage Thursday eve. but would anyone from Pikeville that saw it, would you say Panthers looked impressive or mediocre ? Knowing that a scrimmage is what it is, still, it should give some indication.
Honestly, I thought Breathitt looked to be a more organized team than last year trying to do good things but they are down a few kids due to injuries and graduation. I thought they played hard but talent is not on same level. QB will be good but is a freshman. Handled himself well for that age but they didn’t score against Pikeville.  They ripped off 2 good early runs and then Panthers settled in on defense and Breathitt didn’t get much after that. Panther D had a few sacks and an interception.  I expect the defense for Pikeville to be a strength again.

Offensively, Duty looks good early for Pikeville.  Confident and throwing it well. They have a couple of good receivers and 2-3 more who will play and can hurt you if ignored.  Lots of speed.  Anthony is still the guy at RB. He’s a load. You could tell Breathitt loaded up against him early.  Teams will likely pay for that in regular season because Pikeville has the weapons outside and QB to make them pay.  Pikeville ran 2-3 other backs who looked really good too and that will likely be the case like last year to keep hits off Anthony until the playoffs.  Pikeville scored 5-6 times before the scrimmage was called a little early due to lightning. I thought Pikeville looked slightly unsettled on the offensive line. Not bad but just not settled. Lots of changes up front during the game and seems staff trying to figure out who they want to play together which is what these games are used for. I wouldn’t say Pikeville looked scary yet but they didn’t overwhelm me Thursday night. You can tell they are going to be great but still have a few wrinkles to iron out before they play Corbin in 2 weeks. That has makings of a good one. But Pikeville is going to be a load as the year moves along. Lots of talent and all the pieces.
[-] The following 2 users Like Belichick's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Micro-Brew
(08-10-2024, 05:15 PM)Belichick Wrote:
(08-10-2024, 02:13 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Wasn't able to be at the Pikeville/Breathitt scrimmage Thursday eve. but would anyone from Pikeville that saw it, would you say Panthers looked impressive or mediocre ? Knowing that a scrimmage is what it is, still, it should give some indication.
Honestly, I thought Breathitt looked to be a more organized team than last year trying to do good things but they are down a few kids due to injuries and graduation. I thought they played hard but talent is not on same level. QB will be good but is a freshman. Handled himself well for that age but they didn’t score against Pikeville.  They ripped off 2 good early runs and then Panthers settled in on defense and Breathitt didn’t get much after that. Panther D had a few sacks and an interception.  I expect the defense for Pikeville to be a strength again.

Offensively, Duty looks good early for Pikeville.  Confident and throwing it well. They have a couple of good receivers and 2-3 more who will play and can hurt you if ignored.  Lots of speed.  Anthony is still the guy at RB. He’s a load. You could tell Breathitt loaded up against him early.  Teams will likely pay for that in regular season because Pikeville has the weapons outside and QB to make them pay.  Pikeville ran 2-3 other backs who looked really good too and that will likely be the case like last year to keep hits off Anthony until the playoffs.  Pikeville scored 5-6 times before the scrimmage was called a little early due to lightning. I thought Pikeville looked slightly unsettled on the offensive line. Not bad but just not settled. Lots of changes up front during the game and seems staff trying to figure out who they want to play together which is what these games are used for. I wouldn’t say Pikeville looked scary yet but they didn’t overwhelm me Thursday night. You can tell they are going to be great but still have a few wrinkles to iron out before they play Corbin in 2 weeks. That has makings of a good one. But Pikeville is going to be a load as the year moves along. Lots of talent and all the pieces.
Hey thanks Belichick. Do appreciate the info buddy! Looking forward to another great season and hopefully the 4th straight championship. Nine total don't sound bad at all!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Belichick
1. Corbin
2. Johnson Central
3. Pikeville
4. Lawrence County
5. Belfry
6. Pulaski County
7. Somerset
8. Bell county
9. Rockcastle county
10. Whitley county/ Martin county
Beflry is better than JC and Lawrence. I think Corbin has the best team but Pikeville and Belfry are right there. JC and Lawrence a notch behind. Doesn’t mean they can’t win those games but based on what I’ve seen so far, top 3 are Corbin, Belfry, Pikeville.
I can’t make a change to any top ten until this next week. I always feel this first scrimmage is a little odd in some places. 10 plays here and there and coaches on the field. Then nobody really knows what some of these teams are worth. If corbin, belfry and pikeville dominate madison central, raceland, and breathitt, I can’t really tell what it means until you get another week of data. I had north in the top ten, but heard from someone them and mccreary were tied 14 with varsity play.

What’s the best scrimmage this week other than boyle/OC
Belfry/Perry
Bell/Pulaski
Corbin/GRC
Johnson central / Mingo