Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry-48 Breathitt County-14
Who gives up 3-4 tds via shotgun formation passes from belfry ?!? Blown coverages from secondary, missed tackles, hands on hip after first quarter gassed, zero discipline, linemen just looking around not physical. Crazy how a small community can get behind a program and this is all they have to offer. More worried about belly shirts, wristbands, and daddy ball.
Belfry just the better team plain and simple. To much speed, much more physical in the trenches and way better coaching. Running clock first series into the second half tells you that was a complete mismatch. Nothing Breathitt could do all year to be the better team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VELVET CLOSER's post:
  • bcpc
(08-19-2023, 10:02 AM)VELVET CLOSER Wrote: Belfry just the better team plain and simple. To much speed, much more physical in the trenches and way better coaching. Running clock first series into the second half tells you that was a complete mismatch. Nothing Breathitt could do all year to be the better team.

I would agree with this but Breathitt got into the red zone 3-4 times without any points.  Penalties, bad snaps, etc. 

Again- if belfry is scoring out of the shotgun something is way off.
Sad…. Awful representation… The Bobcats should be ashamed.
(08-19-2023, 10:05 AM)AverageJoe Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 10:02 AM)VELVET CLOSER Wrote: Belfry just the better team plain and simple. To much speed, much more physical in the trenches and way better coaching. Running clock first series into the second half tells you that was a complete mismatch. Nothing Breathitt could do all year to be the better team.

I would agree with this but Breathitt got into the red zone 3-4 times without any points.  Penalties, bad snaps, etc. 

Again- if belfry is scoring out of the shotgun something is way off.
I think the passing game may be more of a testament to Belfry this year than something being off at Breathitt. The Varney kid (QB) is just something that you don’t get but every so often at Belfry. Tall, Poised, in command and can stand in the pocket with a huge arm. Sure most of Belfrys QB’s are a fourth running back, but if you can show different sets with a shout gun and still run options and veres along with throwing that will make Belfry even more dangerous. You will no longer be able to put 10 in the box and pin your ears back. 

I did notice throughout the summer Belfry seemed to be attending and hosting what seemed like an unusual amount of 7on7 camps. That told me we may see much more passing this year.
(08-18-2023, 10:59 PM)BelfryPride Wrote: 2 passing TDs for Belfry as well...

Im told the Belfry fans were in amazement that the football could travel more than 3 feet off the ground, lol.
Belfry had 3 passing touchdowns, and 1 in the terms I heard called a UTAH pass.
So 4 really.
I love Belfry's offense of passing a couple times a game.  It's a thing of beauty and a lineman's dream.  Congrats to them on the win.
Kudos to the Belfry staff.

They have worked very hard to make some changes on both offense and defense and it showed.

They still don’t look like a championship caliber team right now to me, especially on defense and in particular the dline, but Belfry already looks improved over last year.

Varney and Woolum looked tremendous, Caudill played really well.

Losing Cayden Varney for extended time hurts a lot, especially on defense. With that said, if Belfry can score some RPI points, win the district, then get healthy this will be a tough team come playoffs.

Maybe this is just a feeling and it
Proves to be false, but it almost felt to me that you could see the staff and players almost have adopted a mentality of getting back to work and reestablishing Belfry isn’t going to go away . Everything seemed crisp, communication was excellent, and the players played calm and focused.

Breathitt disappointed me. It felt like they were more concerned with how they looked playing than how they actually played. They had very little self discipline and over played everything.

It was clear they were devoted to stopping the triple option and were not ready for any of Belfry’s counter punches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • skully03
Congratulations Belfry! Did I see passing?
Belfry looked good for a very youthful team, especially in a season opener. Came out with juice, stayed on their assignments and exposed the flaws of Breathitt. On the other hand there has to be changes on the sidelines of Breathitt. All of those personal fouls, and throw in a cheap shot on the backside of the field which lands a Belfry player out for the season. Just purely unacceptable and no place for that anywhere at any level. But nothing will probably change. Just shows the differences in a strong program and one that wants to look strong. Cats are in for a long season in 2A.
[-] The following 2 users Like Walter White's post:
  • bcpc, BoondockSaint
(08-19-2023, 02:16 PM)Walter White Wrote: Belfry looked good for a very youthful team, especially in a season opener. Came out with juice, stayed on their assignments and exposed the flaws of Breathitt. On the other hand there has to be changes on the sidelines of Breathitt. All of those personal fouls, and throw in a cheap shot on the backside of the field which lands a Belfry player out for the season. Just purely unacceptable and no place for that anywhere at any level. But nothing will probably change. Just shows the differences in a strong program and one that wants to look strong. Cats are in for a long season in 2A.

Very well said. There is no comparison in programs. Just mention both names from Pikeville to Paducah. Only one is truly synonymous with football. There is a difference in reloading and rebuilding.
(08-19-2023, 01:44 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Kudos to the Belfry staff.

They have worked very hard to make some changes on both offense and defense and it showed.

They still don’t look like a championship caliber team right now to me, especially on defense and in particular the dline, but Belfry already looks improved over last year.

Varney and Woolum looked tremendous, Caudill played really well.

Losing Cayden Varney for extended time hurts a lot, especially on defense. With that said, if Belfry can score some RPI points, win the district, then get healthy this will be a tough team come playoffs.

Maybe this is just a feeling and it
Proves to be false, but it almost felt to me that you could see the staff and players almost have adopted a mentality of getting back to work and reestablishing Belfry isn’t going to go away . Everything seemed crisp, communication was excellent, and the players played calm and focused.

Breathitt disappointed me. It felt like they were more concerned with how they looked playing than how they actually played. They had very little self discipline and over played everything.

It was clear they were devoted to stopping the triple option and were not ready for any of Belfry’s counter punches.
I may be too optimistic but right now other than CAL, I could see Belfry beating anyone in 3A. I think CAL is a top 10 team in the state maybe top 7. We will know much more in a month after playing GRC, Johnson Central, Southwestern, and Pikeville.
If Belfry can hold to true Haywood tradition and just keep getting better each day, then I always like the coaching staff against anyone. Even when they seem outmanned, the style is very hard to prepare for. It’s so difficult to replicate in practice what your going to see on game day.
The hit on Varney that broke his ankle was an unnecessary cheap shot. Ball was 40 yards away from where it happened and instead of 21 from Breathitt running toward the ball to make a tackle he just hits a kid not looking not involved in the play. Maybe Breathitt would be better off going back to beating up on Jenkins, Knott, and Magoffin cause they showed vs Pikeville and Belfry they can’t play big boy football so they cheap shot the players. JC will run the clock 1st half on them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Mountainparkway
I went back and watched the play and you’re 100 percent correct. The injury was uncalled for and 21 should be benched
People in Breathitt have criticized the schedule in the past blaming it for post season disappointment. Maybe there was a legit reason Breathitt haven’t been playing the “big boys”……

I will add. It is not Breathitt’s fault that their district has been so weak for so long. So, you can’t criticize them for playing: Knott, Magoffin….when they were district games.
breathitt gonna breathitt.

acting like breathitt did something wrong to give up passing plays to belfry is a serious disservice to chase varney... put some respect on the kids name. actually dont and let him keep doing what hes done since he was in 7th grade. theyre still belfry, but they aint the same old belfry.

prayers going up for cayden. sad he lost his season over a cheap shot...
“More worried about belly shirts, wristbands, and daddy ball.”

Perfect quote for for the current state of Breathitt County football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackAndYellow's post:
  • HighViz