Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Recruiting
No one is doubting that they can play at the next level. What some are saying is the athletes in question are not major D1 potential like some have said, that is why some of the best athletes in EKY from the past were brought up because no one in the area now is as good as what they were. I don't know their GPA, study habbits, or anything else and I never implied that I did. All I know is from an athletes stand point, the going home after practice to play video games stops after high school. You have to be more dedicated towards the school side of things than the athletic side of things, unless you decide to go into some joke major like basket weaving or general studies, if you want to succeed. You are limited on the amount of time you have and you have to choose wisely what you do, that is why you have to be disciplined. Teachers don't care what you get, they get paid no matter what, they won't wait on you to turn in your paper, you either have it or you don't. At the start of the semester you are given a syllabus that has what you need to do and when it is due, they won't remind you no matter who you are or what sports you play. A reminder to all the athletes that are getting looked at by colleges. If you have the chance to go to the next level, go into the process knowing what you want to study and find a school that offers your program of interest. That is where I went wrong in my decision making. I always wanted to do what I'm doing now but the school I went to didn't offer it so I switched to pre-med. After 3 years I got bored with it(it wasn't that I couldn't do it because I was an Academic All-Conference and All-American athlete with a 3.8 GPA),so I opted out, and followed my dream. I'm a little behind compared to where I should be. The decision of the school I chose ended up costing me basically 2 years worth of tuition/room and board fees and I currently have 60+ credit hours that are useless because I didn't know what I wanted to do. So just keep a heads up when schools contact you on the phone or come to your house, make it a point to ask about the academic programs they have to offer, not just how good is your program and will I get playing time.
As far as a FB, HB,QB, Your not going anywhere in college. Unless you can move quick (under a 4.5- 40) But as a linemen (under 4.9-40) You are going to college,If the size is right, Somthin like 6'4 or 6'6 285 or to 300 pounds!! Backs will be (Defensive backs)!
I'm sure pretty much all of the kids mentioned so far will have a "free" ride in college offered to them, just might be at the NAIA level. Which, let's be honest, it's doubtful any of them are someday NFL material, so they should get their education while playing ball if that's the path they take, and stay the heck out of the coal mines...
Hail Mary Wrote:Great post!
First of all, I don't think Nathaniel Dials has ever said that he was going to go D1. Yes, it is a dream for him and I am sure all of these boys to do that. However, Nathaniel has said many times that he would love to play at the next level regardless of NCAA/NAIA. You act like he is only looking at going D1. Nathaniel has had literature from several schools from D1 to schools that are NAIA with a 2,000 enrollment. He and his parents would love to have part of his education paid for (anyone that says they wouldn't, well) but he loves the game and if he can play and get an education that would be great. Also, whoever said that Nathaniel ran a 4.6. His stats have been corrected many times on Recruit.com and noone will change them. So as far as you know it alls, we appreciate the "interest" but don't make statements about someone if you don't know all of the facts.
MonsterMan Wrote:Guys, none of the college scouts will recruit on the nonsense that has been discussed here. Scouts look for certain skills and work ethic. Dials meets those requirements. Case closed.

It appears from some comments that D1 players can come from only a few schools in the mountains, and that too is nonsense. Dials will be the first of many Johnson Central and Jim Matney coached D1 players.

Neal Burchett was the first D1 player out of Johnson Central in 1974.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Neal Burchett was the first D1 player out of Johnson Central in 1974.

Neal Burchett was an awesome football player, but if I remember correctly he went to Morehead which is D2.
Morehead was D1 at the time he signed with them. Its the same school former Super Bowl MVP Phil Simms went to. Neal was also JC's first All-State first team football player.
MonsterMan Wrote:Neal Burchett was an awesome football player, but if I remember correctly he went to Morehead which is D2.

In 1974 Morehead was D1 in football, just like they still are in baseball, basketball and everything else.They no longer have the financial resources to fund a scholarship football program. Morehead has never been a DII school in any sport.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:In 1974 Morehead was D1 in football, just like they still are in baseball, basketball and everything else.They no longer have the financial resources to fund a scholarship football program. Morehead has never been a DII school in any sport.

Excuse me. I should have said they competed in D 2A, actually Division 1-AA for football. I checked my info and this is what I found on the internet. They were with OVC from 1948 to 2001.
The Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) is a college athletic conference which operates in the midwestern and southeastern United States. It participates in Division I of the NCAA; the conference's football programs compete in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS; formerly known as Division I-AA), the lower of two levels of Division I football competition. The OVC has 11 members, 10 of which (as of the 2007 season) compete in football in the conference; the 11th, Morehead State, competes in the Pioneer Football League.