Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 65 Clay County 58
Granny Bear Wrote:Posters, neither JayTiger or Clay's coach is the topic of this thread.

Back to comments about the game.

Understood but wanted to correct one error in my post above-- Gray has led Clay County five years, not four. This year, he doubled his number of career regional tournament wins (the big win over Barbourville pushed that number from one to two).

If this year's Harlan County squad goes on to win the region it will make the first time in his tenure that the team that eliminated a Glenn Gray coached Clay County team is the one that goes on to win the region. If I'm not mistaken, North Laurel last year is the only team who has knocked him off that even went on to win their next game.

Good luck to your Bears, but historically, the numbers aren't the best for the team that has knocked him out.

Clay County radio crew was very complimentary of Noah in this game and it sounds like he has a bright future.
Count Wrote:Is there any room on the BLACK BEAR band wagon. They were very impressive.
The Eighth grader is a Hoss
:Thumbs::

Always room for a Clay County fan of your caliber.

The eighth grader remind you of anybody? It sure does for me!!
Michael Jones and Tony P are two coaches I hate to see in March . Patterson at KC starting to win big games in March after some criticism
Well folks go ahead and give it to me ! I can take it I've got big shoulders. I seen both power House teams go down today. The difference was Clay dominated in first half and second half I seen the team chemistry fall away n go into a little individual play trying to get there points at time. But no excuses Harlan county just flat out played Clay in the second half with physical play and nobody wanting to get in the paint n battle for rebounds beside Langdon . The difference in Clay this yr was the little assistance coach Hibbard and I seen him making many plays from the bench n Glenn expressed them to the team. If Clay is going to do anything with Glenn or without Glenn it takes a team. Congrats to Harlan county and Knox Central for making it to the championship. Good luck to both.
Granny Bear Wrote:Always room for a Clay County fan of your caliber.

The eighth grader remind you of anybody? It sure does for me!!

Thanks Granny Bear. This has been a great tourney. Every game has been competitive and the region has a lot of young players that are STUDS but I think after tonight I think HC may have the best young guys in the region. Good luck to the Black Bears. I think the 13th will be represented well at Rupp.
I warned you.

If you want to start a discussion about the coach(es) of certain teams, then do it. As long as it is an adult conversation and doesn't initiate a war.

You can't hyjack this thread.
Difference in coaching...…..Jones knew his team was at a disadvantage inside because Harlan County plays 5 guards. He had a game plan and came out in a 1-3-1 zone...Clay exposed it and got some easy buckets so he then made an adjustment and packed in a zone and said if Clay is going to beat us they will beat us hitting jump shots. Clay got hot in the first half and was hitting shots but he didn't cave in and stayed with it. Gray on the other hand played man to man and not one player on Clay County's team could stop anyone from getting to the rim off the dribble. Half time came and NO ADJUSTMENTS.....and the results showed. Harlan County deserved this win because they were the better team. They played TEAM BALL through out the entire game. I feel bad for Clay because this group of boys won a state tournament in middle school never even made a regional final. That completely falls on the administration and coaching. Clay has one more year to be a top 5 team potentially but if you keep the same coaching staff I wouldn't put them in the top 10.
I agree with every word you said except for the coaching staff at Clay. I know NOTHING about them, but you appear to be the consensus of what's going on.
Congratulations to Jones and the Black Bears. Harlan surprised me this year as I had Clay making it to the finals. Jones loves the game and the kids love playing for him. Knox/Harlan game tonight will be a very good game and I'll be there. It will be one of the best regional championship games in the area. Corbin has a nice venue for high school basketball.
Granny Bear Wrote:I agree with every word you said except for the coaching staff at Clay. I know NOTHING about them, but you appear to be the consensus of what's going on.

I guess what I meant to say is Clay's coaching staff has a hard time making adjustments when the game gets going. I don't know if they just don't know how to or if they just don't know what adjustments to make. I'm not a coach but I knew going into the game where Clays weakness fell and that was if Gray came out and played man to man. I knew we wouldn't be able to stop them from getting to the rim and would have a hard time beating Harlan County. Your boys deserved the win and now I hope they finish it off and go on to Rupp and represent the 13th region proudly.