Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Covington Catholic Colonels
66.67%
Frederick Douglass Broncos
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic vs. Frederick Douglass (Class 5A Championship)
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Not at a public school that is SUPPOSE to have boundries, not many families can just up and move because a school wins more than the other. Unless they lease an apartment close to the school-hint, hint.

Not permitting out-of-district/"boundaries" students to attend a public school is 100% a self-imposed rule by the public schools who choose to employ it. There is nothing at all in the KHSAA bylaws or in anything from the KY Dept of Education that says public schools can't allow out-of-district students to attend, or what they're "supposed" to do, as you seem to imply. The public schools that choose to allow out-of-district students to attend (e.g. - Beechwood, Belfry, and Highlands) all operate under the same exact guidelines as every single other public school in the state. If you have a complaint to be made about not having out-of-district students in your school, then take that complaint directly to the school district offices, where it belongs.

If your friend's parents let him stay up until 11:00pm in the third grade, but your parents made you go to bed at 9:00, did you complain to your friend and his parents about them being unfair? Or were you complaining to your own parents that their rules were too strict?
Cov Cath by 7. There is s learning curve for a school on their first trip to the finals.
UK1fan Wrote:Maybe so but the kids come from 4 counties.

....and another state....
Woodsman Wrote:Please name all four? 3 yes. 4 no. That’s the way it’s always been. Since the founding of the school and most certainly within the football program. Nothing new.

Hamilton.
plantmanky Wrote:Hamilton.

Yeah not football. Try again mister.
plantmanky Wrote:....and another state....

Fake news for the football team. We are not discussing basketball. Sorry.
TheOracle Wrote:Not permitting out-of-district/"boundaries" students to attend a public school is 100% a self-imposed rule by the public schools who choose to employ it. There is nothing at all in the KHSAA bylaws or in anything from the KY Dept of Education that says public schools can't allow out-of-district students to attend, or what they're "supposed" to do, as you seem to imply. The public schools that choose to allow out-of-district students to attend (e.g. - Beechwood, Belfry, and Highlands) all operate under the same exact guidelines as every single other public school in the state. If you have a complaint to be made about not having out-of-district students in your school, then take that complaint directly to the school district offices, where it belongs.

If your friend's parents let him stay up until 11:00pm in the third grade, but your parents made you go to bed at 9:00, did you complain to your friend and his parents about them being unfair? Or were you complaining to your own parents that their rules were too strict?

Well Fayette County is one of those districts that does not allow it, unless you are a incoming Freshmen. And those schools you mentioned are all independent schools, which mostly all independents allow it(with a fee). Name me a PUBLIC school district that allows kids to play sports that live in another county after there Freshmen year? Maybe there are but Fayette is not one of those, and that's the issue
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Well Fayette County is one of those districts that does not allow it, unless you are a incoming Freshmen. And those schools you mentioned are all independent schools, which mostly all independents allow it(with a fee). Name me a PUBLIC school district that allows kids to play sports that live in another county after there Freshmen year? Maybe there are but Fayette is not one of those, and that's the issue
Pretty sure Kenton county allows students from other districts to pick which school they will attend. Kenton county is a big county. Name me another publoc school that parents have to pay out of pocket the amount that they do for a private school?
.....while still paying taxes to fund the aforementioned public schools.
Woodsman Wrote:.....while still paying taxes to fund the aforementioned public schools.

I know in Pulaski County the county school system will not allow kids in their district to attend Somerset Independent. I guess technically the students could still go but the county system will not allow the state money allotted for that student to follow. That makes it tough for the city school to accept students that they aren't getting paid for.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Not at a public school that is SUPPOSE to have boundries, not many families can just up and move because a school wins more than the other. Unless they lease an apartment close to the school-hint, hint.

Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Well Fayette County is one of those districts that does not allow it, unless you are a incoming Freshmen. And those schools you mentioned are all independent schools, which mostly all independents allow it (with a fee). Name me a PUBLIC school district that allows kids to play sports that live in another county after their Freshmen year? Maybe there are but Fayette is not one of those, and that's the issue.

The FCPS website states otherwise. First off, they make no mention of "incoming Freshman", like you allege. Secondly, although they do state on the website that the circumstances for accepting out-of-area requests are limited "because of capacity concerns", they absolutely clearly state in black and white that "a student may be permitted to attend a different school than the one serving their family's neighborhood". And furthermore, if capacity is the cause for concern about accepting out of area requests, a quick Google search shows that school capacity isn't anywhere near a current concern at Douglass. American School & University magazine he school was built to hold up to 1800 students, while the school's current enrollment is 1127.

You're argument seems, well, patently false. It sounds to me more like sour grapes.

Again...I'd like to hear your answer:
plantmanky Wrote:Hamilton.

:lame:

Classic plantmanky. Jumping into a discussion that he has no prior involvement to try to add in a little quip that has little to no bearing on the discussion at hand. There are no Ohio/Hamilton County football students on the football team at CCH. We all know you're a private school hater from wayyyyyyy back. Bang your drum elsewhere.

CCH is doing the same thing any other school in the state is 100% permitted to do. As I've already stated in the thread, the fact that some other (public) schools don't permit students to attend and participate in athletics from outside of the boundaries that they assign to themselves isn't CCH's fault.
ironfist13 Wrote:The 2 best recruiters in 5A ball!

Recruiting, here we go again :lame: More than 90% of Cov Cath boys went through their parochial and/ or diocese. Where as FD University, they grab players from OUT OF DISTRICT and out of county players #fact... but sure recruiting doesn't happen anywhere else and other programs.
Stop it with the hint hint lol. Just say it out loud, those apartment adjacent to FD University are used as dorms for out of counties and district players PERIOD
UK1fan Wrote:Maybe so but the kids come from 4 counties.

it's always been been that way. Their Catholic feeders are small ie (maybe 2 classroom of 8th graders per school, with a class of 15-25 kids)
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Well Fayette County is one of those districts that does not allow it, unless you are a incoming Freshmen. And those schools you mentioned are all independent schools, which mostly all independents allow it(with a fee). Name me a PUBLIC school district that allows kids to play sports that live in another county after there Freshmen year? Maybe there are but Fayette is not one of those, and that's the issue

So how do you explain ALL PLAYERS coming from another district and counties that are or went through FD University able to play ASAP? Cause I can name a few since year 1 to year 3 of the program that were enticed to come to FD University (Yes even NON FEEDER middle school).
TheOracle Wrote:The FCPS website states otherwise. First off, they make no mention of "incoming Freshman", like you allege. Secondly, although they do state on the website that the circumstances for accepting out-of-area requests are limited "because of capacity concerns", they absolutely clearly state in black and white that "a student may be permitted to attend a different school than the one serving their family's neighborhood". And furthermore, if capacity is the cause for concern about accepting out of area requests, a quick Google search shows that school capacity isn't anywhere near a current concern at Douglass. American School & University magazine he school was built to hold up to 1800 students, while the school's current enrollment is 1127.

You're argument seems, well, patently false. It sounds to me more like sour grapes.

FBfan4life Wrote:So how do you explain ALL PLAYERS coming from another district and counties that are or went through FD University able to play ASAP? Cause I can name a few since year 1 to year 3 of the program that were enticed to come to FD University (Yes even NON FEEDER middle school).

I agree with you I can't and no one else can explain it, but some people on here think I am bitter, which is so far from the truth. They have kids on there team that doesn't even live in Fayette. Not sure how they are getting away with it. Thanks for answering the question about those apartments
TheOracle Wrote:The FCPS website states otherwise. First off, they make no mention of "incoming Freshman", like you allege. Secondly, although they do state on the website that the circumstances for accepting out-of-area requests are limited "because of capacity concerns", they absolutely clearly state in black and white that "a student may be permitted to attend a different school than the one serving their family's neighborhood". And furthermore, if capacity is the cause for concern about accepting out of area requests, a quick Google search shows that school capacity isn't anywhere near a current concern at Douglass. American School & University magazine he school was built to hold up to 1800 students, while the school's current enrollment is 1127.

Dude I work in Fayette so I know the rules I don't have an argument nor Im I bitter just don't understand how they are getting away with what they are doing, can't get into everything but they had 500+ Freshmen enroll this year talked to one of there administrators, told me they will definitely move up to 6A on the next enrollment cycle. I could be wrong about the 9th graders from different counties, but most schools that border Fayette, will let you enroll and play sports if you haven't established a high school yet. They also have an advantage(which I have no problem with, and think its great) they have an all boys academy on there campus called Carter G Woodson Academy for African-American students that you can live anywhere in Fayette, but have to play for FD. You have to be accepted and have to start in elementary school I think, in other words you cant just enroll in that program starting in high school. Frank Martin knows a little bit more about it than I do.
Ok back to the game and prediction. I have seen both teams play up close and personal. FD University has plenty of athletes that will use out in space. They also have a huge linemen that will be "road graders"... but I say experience counts. Cov Cath boys have been playing with each other since parochial, middle school and early HS.
Cov Cath 28
FDU 17
F.Douglass 28
Cov. Cath 24
That tank of a tight end will stop douglass’ undefeated season. Douglass’ QB is also a poor passing threat and I think that will play a role in their loss.