Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toughest place to play
Putnam Stadium great venue and one of best places to watch a game and can be intimidating for opponents. Tank Field Ironton Tigers has never been friendly to anyone.
From personal experience: Ashland

From hearsay: NCC and Tilghman
:popcorn:Good thread
I'm going to throw an old one out there ,The Dust Bowl at Fleming Neon! Always a crazy fanbase and the worst field condi6in the state of Kentucky hands down . No grass on the field only hard dirt! Awesome atmosphere, win or lose you had to fight the PIRATES and your way out of there!
Not the best competition but I'd say Fleming Neon and Wheelwright were two that I hated going to. Vipperman and Cawood were two with good games and hostile crowds
Iam4thecats Wrote:The toughest place to win or the most irritating place to play? There is a difference.

Curious to hear both
64SUR Wrote:I’m curious about your name billsizemore63 :popcorn:

What about it sir lol
I love my Commodores but I love high school footballl in general! Gonna take these suggestions and go check out some of these venues
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Evarts- you dont leave there without rocks in your vehicle..

When my older brother played for Middlesboro in the mid/late ‘60s, I got to ride the team bus to Evarts twice. I still remember the bus drivers putting on football helmets for the drive home—both times.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Toughest place to get a win - Log Mountain (Bell County)
Toughest place to play - Highlands
Toughest place because of the facilities - Jewell Field (Wayne County)
Toughest place because of the fans - Putnam Stadium (Ashland Blazer)

Honorable Mention
Toughest place because of the field - The Rock (Sheldon Clark's old field) I would argue The Rock was worst field in the continental United States when muddy.
Toughest place to park - Vipperman Stadium (Belfry's old stadium) I hitchhiked from about 2 miles away for the '04 Belfry/Prestonsburg playoff game.
Toughest place because of the bus ride - Phelps
Toughest place because you might get in a fight - TIE: Clay County/Breathitt County
The Rock was a bad experience. I was there for a muddy game in the pouring rain.
64SUR Wrote:I’m curious about your name billsizemore63 :popcorn:
Your cousin or alter ego?
Wheatfarmer Wrote:The old Belfry field "Death Valley"!!! The bus ride alone into that place would get you sick, then you would get bombarded with rocks and pennies once on the field. That place will forever be etched into my mind as a player. 20 miles before getting there you would see signs hanging on chain link fences everywhere. Football is KING in those parts!
it was for sure a different experience before the new road and stadium. you brought back memories talking about the chain link fence.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Before Hazard got the turf it was tougher. They used to build a bonfire 6 inches from the opponents end zone fence. You couldn't kick a pat or it would go in the fire. They would set up in the back of pickups next to the fire then cuss and throw things at you during warmups. It was a hard place to play.

I've witnessed the poor sportsmanship from their fans. That's the only thing I never did like about Hazard.
I would say rock and Cawood
Before the renovations at Ed Miller Stadium in Wheelersburg Ohio. The visiting fans had to sit on the side of a hill and 80s Christmas light pirate seen from the hill behind the home stands.
The burg is still tough to win at, but it was visually daunting as well in the older days when the Burg was still carving out their reputation as one of the best in small school program tradition in the state of Ohio....
Back in the day...Evarts.... Lucky to make it out of there alive, much less with a win! 😂

Honorable Mention
Toughest place because of the field - The Rock (Sheldon Clark's old field) I would argue The Rock was worst field in the continental United States when muddy.
Toughest place to park - Vipperman Stadium (Belfry's old stadium) I hitchhiked from about 2 miles away for the '04 Belfry/Prestonsburg playoff game.
Toughest place because you might get in a fight - TIE: Clay County/Breathitt County
Sheldon Clark was always muddy because Jim Matney would bring in the fire truck on Friday during school and water the field down. A little extra watering if the team was a passing team! 😂

Honorable Mention
Phelps...because by the time you got there you were car sick!
This is why I love Kentucky football over Ohio...I know some Ohio schools have some impressive places but it seems most places I’ve been to in Ohio are all new facilities and have no character! Give me a field that’s seen 80 years of football played on it any day over these new turf field facilities! The truly sad thing is we are losing these places we have been talking about in this thread
4everUK Wrote:Phelps...because by the time you got there you were car sick!

That is why I said that.... the car ride gets you sick, especially on a bus.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
pjdoug Wrote:The Rock was a bad experience. I was there for a muddy game in the pouring rain.

4everUK Wrote:Sheldon Clark was always muddy because Jim Matney would bring in the fire truck on Friday during school and water the field down. A little extra watering if the team was a passing team! 😂

The Rock @ Sheldon Clark was the worst field that was recognized as a football field.

I really believe that The Rock would be classified as unusable in today's society. can see coaches boycotting playing on that field.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Rock @ Sheldon Clark was the worst field that was recognized as a football field.

I really believe that The Rock would be classified as unusable in today's society. can see coaches boycotting playing on that field.
it really didn't look like a field.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:This is why I love Kentucky football over Ohio...I know some Ohio schools have some impressive places but it seems most places I’ve been to in Ohio are all new facilities and have no character! Give me a field that’s seen 80 years of football played on it any day over these new turf field facilities! The truly sad thing is we are losing these places we have been talking about in this thread

Agreed 100%
I remember playing a playoff game in 99 @ Death Valley. I remember the stands were full by the time we got there at like 6. Of course the field was wet eventhough there were massive forest fires all around the area so it had not rained a long time. They put our sidelines in front of the bleachers packed with their fans. We had batteries and marbles thrown at us the whole game. they jumped out on us 21-0 but even after several "questionable" calls we still came out as winner. I even remember converting a 2pt conversion from the 47 yard line after 3 offensive pass interference calls.
What a great atmosphere. Also remember the 02 game in the mud.
MountainSports Wrote:From personal experience: Ashland

From hearsay: NCC and Tilghman

NCC does not have a field. They use Newport’s field
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Rock @ Sheldon Clark was the worst field that was recognized as a football field.

pjdoug Wrote:it really didn't look like a field.

I know some guys that worked for a coal company in Martin County when Sheldon Clark's field was being constructed. They said there were boulders as big as houses put down for the base. Whether or not they are telling me a fib, there is no doubt The Rock's top layer was straight up coal mud.