Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Toughest place to play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In your opinion what is the toughest place to play regardless of class in Kentucky High School football! I always hated playing on Log Mountain at Bell Co! Great atmosphere back in the 2004-08 when I was in school!
Boyle Co is tough but they're tough on he road too. Wink

I'm looking forward to Belfry and Corbin if we make it that far. I've heard they're both great atmospheres.

Etown was awesome last year in the semis....Louisville Central is tough too.
Estill in the early 90s would water their field. Had an assistant coach come clean years later. It would be ankle deep in mud. Then they had that stupid train whistle. I hated it. Lol
BoyleCo Wrote:Estill in the early 90s would water their field. Had an assistant coach come clean years later. It would be ankle deep in mud. Then they had that stupid train whistle. I hated it. Lol
We played clay co in 06 with a playoff spot on the line and we had a speed team. Field had six inches of water on it and it hadn’t rained in two weeks
Highlands is a special place, fans right on top of you and are loud, whether they have a good team or not. Most good teams like the big 3 In Louisville, Scott, Boyle, Belfry, Beechwood, Lex Cath, etc. I think are hard places to play because the teams are so good. Wonder how hard those places are to play at when teams are just average
Louisville central is always a tough out. They really know how to get everyone involved and get that vibe going. I’d say late 90’s and probably the last few years corbin is a tough place to play. I’ve neber been on the other side of it so I can’t say. It’s probably not the toughest but possibly up there. That concrete stadium really helps keep the noise in.
As a fan I enjoy watching games at Corbin. Really nice venue and knowledgeable fans. Def been tough place to play the last few years. I’d love to get a chance to get out to a Highlands game they’re one of the traditional powers that I’ve yet to watch at home.
War memorial stadium in Mayfield. Its hard to come out of there with a W
Try coming into War Memorial of Mayfield. On the way in, you see the signs the state highway Dept put up listing the 12 state titles. Then you get to the the road to enter and see the side of town it’s on. Then you come in, in big games, past the fans cheering their boys on. Then you get to the old post ww2 concrete stadium. You pull up to the gates to walk into the dressing room. There is the 12 state title years painted boldly on the wall above your bus. Then you enter into the dingy dressing room and hear the crowd noise above you. Then you have to walk down the dark tunnel onto the field. Then you have to deal with the rabid fans in the tailgating area right next to where your team is warming up. Oh, and of course the 12 state titles are listed on the scoreboard along with the 10 state runners up years. If you make a mistake or allow a big play, then you will most certainly hear about it very quickly from the packed house. And then the snowball starts.
billsizemore63 Wrote:In your opinion what is the toughest place to play regardless of class in Kentucky High School football! I always hated playing on Log Mountain at Bell Co! Great atmosphere back in the 2004-08 when I was in school!

Used to be Cawood Smile
Pond Creek and Pikeville are hard places to come in to and get a "W". This year will especially be a tough task for my Pirates to go to Pikeville and get the win. Unless I'm dead wrong, this will be a slobber knocker!
Hound05 Wrote:Louisville central is always a tough out. They really know how to get everyone involved and get that vibe going. I’d say late 90’s and probably the last few years corbin is a tough place to play. I’ve neber been on the other side of it so I can’t say. It’s probably not the toughest but possibly up there. That concrete stadium really helps keep the noise in.
I can't remember where I saw them now, but I have seen pictures online of the stadium being built.
mysonis55 Wrote:Try coming into War Memorial of Mayfield. On the way in, you see the signs the state highway Dept put up listing the 12 state titles. Then you get to the the road to enter and see the side of town it’s on. Then you come in, in big games, past the fans cheering their boys on. Then you get to the old post ww2 concrete stadium. You pull up to the gates to walk into the dressing room. There is the 12 state title years painted boldly on the wall above your bus. Then you enter into the dingy dressing room and hear the crowd noise above you. Then you have to walk down the dark tunnel onto the field. Then you have to deal with the rabid fans in the tailgating area right next to where your team is warming up. Oh, and of course the 12 state titles are listed on the scoreboard along with the 10 state runners up years. If you make a mistake or allow a big play, then you will most certainly hear about it very quickly from the packed house. And then the snowball starts.
Then you go play against Danville and get hammered.
mysonis55 Wrote:Try coming into War Memorial of Mayfield. On the way in, you see the signs the state highway Dept put up listing the 12 state titles. Then you get to the the road to enter and see the side of town it’s on. Then you come in, in big games, past the fans cheering their boys on. Then you get to the old post ww2 concrete stadium. You pull up to the gates to walk into the dressing room. There is the 12 state title years painted boldly on the wall above your bus. Then you enter into the dingy dressing room and hear the crowd noise above you. Then you have to walk down the dark tunnel onto the field. Then you have to deal with the rabid fans in the tailgating area right next to where your team is warming up. Oh, and of course the 12 state titles are listed on the scoreboard along with the 10 state runners up years. If you make a mistake or allow a big play, then you will most certainly hear about it very quickly from the packed house. And then the snowball starts.

Do they have anything put up showing their 12 state titles? Hahaha. I’m just messing with ya man. Well deserved and a good environment to watch a ball game.
Mayfield sounds like a place I really need to get to. Love seeing the different gameday experiences
The old Spartan stadium in Portsmouth Ohio. Home of the nfls first night game
Evarts- you dont leave there without rocks in your vehicle..
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Evarts- you dont leave there without rocks in your vehicle..

That place was definitely an experience. When we played there when I was in high school we walk into the locker room to find a dead rabbit (our mascot) in the shower. I remember our coach coming up to us at halftime trying to calm us down because we had a shellshocked, beaten look on our faces, and saying, "What the hell is wrong with you guys? Look at the scoreboard!" We were up 41-7.
Vipperman Stadium at the old Belfry High School.
BelfryPride Wrote:Vipperman Stadium at the old Belfry High School.

Without a doubt Vipperman Stadium for me. We played their my freshman year. I only made it onto the field during warmups, but I remember it was a very intimidating place. The crowd was huge and overflowed the stands. They even had people on the hillside. What made it worse was they were already in the stands when we pulled up into the parking lot. It felt like we were sheep being led to slaughter. They were really loud too. Belfry also dressed over 100 players then. We had about 50-60.
BelfryPride Wrote:Vipperman Stadium at the old Belfry High School.

Particularly in the "non-rainy" "rainy" seasons. :biggrin:

All kidding aside, the one time I was there it was a great atmosphere and tough, very tough on the visiting team. :Thumbs:
cardsfan9051 Wrote:War memorial stadium in Mayfield. Its hard to come out of there with a W

Amen brother
Toughest place to get a win - Log Mountain (Bell County)
Toughest place to play - Highlands
Toughest place because of the facilities - Jewell Field (Wayne County)
Toughest place because of the fans - Putnam Stadium (Ashland Blazer)

Honorable Mention
Toughest place because of the field - The Rock (Sheldon Clark's old field) I would argue The Rock was worst field in the continental United States when muddy.
Toughest place to park - Vipperman Stadium (Belfry's old stadium) I hitchhiked from about 2 miles away for the '04 Belfry/Prestonsburg playoff game.
Toughest place because of the bus ride - Phelps
Toughest place because you might get in a fight - TIE: Clay County/Breathitt County
The toughest place to win or the most irritating place to play? There is a difference.
Hatz Wrote:Particularly in the "non-rainy" "rainy" seasons. :biggrin:

All kidding aside, the one time I was there it was a great atmosphere and tough, very tough on the visiting team. :Thumbs:

Do you remember that Hatz? That was a rare cloud burst
The old Belfry field "Death Valley"!!! The bus ride alone into that place would get you sick, then you would get bombarded with rocks and pennies once on the field. That place will forever be etched into my mind as a player. 20 miles before getting there you would see signs hanging on chain link fences everywhere. Football is KING in those parts!
billsizemore63 Wrote:In your opinion what is the toughest place to play regardless of class in Kentucky High School football! I always hated playing on Log Mountain at Bell Co! Great atmosphere back in the 2004-08 when I was in school!

I’m curious about your name billsizemore63 :popcorn:
If you are interested in being able to see the game on the field from the stands at night, then Webster County can be a very tough place to play.
Tica Wrote:If you are interested in being able to see the game on the field from the stands at night, then Webster County can be a very tough place to play.

I agree, at Webster is like watching in candle light.

I think Mayfield is toughest place to play for opponents. The atmosphere with the endzone fans and alot of other factors work in the Cards favor
Before Hazard got the turf it was tougher. They used to build a bonfire 6 inches from the opponents end zone fence. You couldn't kick a pat or it would go in the fire. They would set up in the back of pickups next to the fire then cuss and throw things at you during warmups. It was a hard place to play.
Pages: 1 2