Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Games of All-Time
There was a lot of great games in th 90's

92' P Burg at Danville Pburg had two very good running backs Garza and Hyden

94' Sheldon Clark at Whitesburg Triple overtime and it was a thriller!

95' Leslie at Sheldon Clark Cardinals Schedule toughest game on the schedule for
homecoming and beat Tim Couch and Co. in overtime

96' Belfry at Leslie Regional Championship-Couch vs Caudill with an awesome crowd

97' Breathitt at Lawrence Co. No one gave the Dawgs a chance and you know what
happens then...Breathitt and their 95-96 state champion-
ships and 50 some game winning streak goes down at
the Dawg pound. It really did shock the state!

98' Sheldon Clark at Belfry Regional championship- Viperman stadium was loaded, the
Cards has been beat by Belfry soundly earlier that season
the Pirates could not contain the Cards power running game
at the goal line in overtime-Cards regional champs

98' Highlands at Sheldon Clark State semi's at the Rock-Highlands came to eastern KY
with future NFL players and a record that was perfect.
The Cards had four losses but tons of heart. The game
got out of hand early but the Cards clawed back but fell
in the end. The most talent by two teams I have ever seen
on one field

99' Sheldon Clark at Law Co. For the district title-Lawrence was a great belly offense with
the best reciever in the state catching every thing. The cards
were balanced with talent from every linemen to skill person
on the field. The battle went down to the last play. Cards W

02' Ashland at Sheldon Clark Cornette scores for the Cards 1st play of the game off tackle
and leaves Davis sitting. Cards win a thriller.

03' P Burg at Sheldon Clark Huge rivals who would step on the others mother to win this
game. Overtime game and Matneys last win against P Burg

03' P Brug at Belfry The classic match up that everyone was talking about during the sum
mer and boy did they get what they hoped for! The defending state
champ verses their rivals that had speed everywhere even their water
girls were fast. They battled to the end and Belfry got the W. Howard
put it nicely when he said it was everything they hoped it would be!

05' Sheldon at Leslie Co. Leslie built this team for years and had a super talented team
that could score on anyone. Sc was the underdog who had just
ripped Breathitt in the first round of the playoffs. Back and forth
with grind it out football and big plays that took only seconds to
score. Cards stopped Leslie twice to win the game.
P.S. Nice catch by Harless on forth down.

Football in the mountains is truely a great event to watch.
i would say friday 13,2006 sheldon clark VS belfry.....35-29 overtime....and sc was down 22...in the 3rd
IntheZone Wrote:i would say friday 13,2006 sheldon clark VS belfry.....35-29 overtime....and sc was down 22...in the 3rd
I remember getting updates on this game during the Russell game. Everyone kept asking me if I was sure about the score when SC mounted their comeback.
Those are all some memorable games, but just to nitpick you got a few dates and names wrong. The '95 Belfry @ Leslie was the biggest game (attendance-wise) that I have ever seen. The starting RB for Belfry was Adam Eastwood (Belfry ran the Pro-I that year so there was only one tailback), and he ran for 210 yards and two TDs. Both teams had one loss in the district that year, Belfry to Leslie, and Leslie to Sheldon Clark, who the Pirates beat by 30 points. The title of the papers the next day read "Couch outduels Eastwood" as Leslie Co. came back from a 12 point deficit and won 28-20. Caudill was a sophomore that year, and had few carries.

Plus, the Belfry vs Prestonsburg game in which the Pirates were the defending AA Champs was in '04 at Vipperman, and it was a whale of a game. Doug Howard had 200 yards rushing and 3 TDs including the one in overtime, plus 12-15 tackles. It was the most dominating performance I'd ever seen in a high school football game on both sides of the ball.

mrspectator Wrote:There was a lot of great games in th 90's

92' P Burg at Danville Pburg had two very good running backs Garza and Hyden

94' Sheldon Clark at Whitesburg Triple overtime and it was a thriller!

95' Leslie at Sheldon Clark Cardinals Schedule toughest game on the schedule for
homecoming and beat Tim Couch and Co. in overtime

96' Belfry at Leslie Regional Championship-Couch vs Caudill with an awesome crowd

97' Breathitt at Lawrence Co. No one gave the Dawgs a chance and you know what
happens then...Breathitt and their 95-96 state champion-
ships and 50 some game winning streak goes down at
the Dawg pound. It really did shock the state!

98' Sheldon Clark at Belfry Regional championship- Viperman stadium was loaded, the
Cards has been beat by Belfry soundly earlier that season
the Pirates could not contain the Cards power running game
at the goal line in overtime-Cards regional champs

98' Highlands at Sheldon Clark State semi's at the Rock-Highlands came to eastern KY
with future NFL players and a record that was perfect.
The Cards had four losses but tons of heart. The game
got out of hand early but the Cards clawed back but fell
in the end. The most talent by two teams I have ever seen
on one field

99' Sheldon Clark at Law Co. For the district title-Lawrence was a great belly offense with
the best reciever in the state catching every thing. The cards
were balanced with talent from every linemen to skill person
on the field. The battle went down to the last play. Cards W

02' Ashland at Sheldon Clark Cornette scores for the Cards 1st play of the game off tackle
and leaves Davis sitting. Cards win a thriller.

03' P Burg at Sheldon Clark Huge rivals who would step on the others mother to win this
game. Overtime game and Matneys last win against P Burg

03' P Brug at Belfry The classic match up that everyone was talking about during the sum
mer and boy did they get what they hoped for! The defending state
champ verses their rivals that had speed everywhere even their water
girls were fast. They battled to the end and Belfry got the W. Howard
put it nicely when he said it was everything they hoped it would be!

05' Sheldon at Leslie Co. Leslie built this team for years and had a super talented team
that could score on anyone. Sc was the underdog who had just
ripped Breathitt in the first round of the playoffs. Back and forth
with grind it out football and big plays that took only seconds to
score. Cards stopped Leslie twice to win the game.
P.S. Nice catch by Harless on forth down.

Football in the mountains is truely a great event to watch.
I don't remember the score but the Pikeville Williamsburg playoff game a couple years back was one of the best games I have ever seen. 4th and long with less than 30 seconds left and then got the 2 point conversion to go to overtime.
HAIL PIKEVILLE Wrote:I don't remember the score but the Pikeville Williamsburg playoff game a couple years back was one of the best games I have ever seen. 4th and long with less than 30 seconds left and then got the 2 point conversion to go to overtime.
2004 Pikeville 29 Williamsburg 22 OT
I Have To Bring Estill In Here And Say...

Estill Vs. Russell 2003 Win For 'Neers 35-14 YAY!
Estillfootballgirl Wrote:I Have To Bring Estill In Here And Say...

Great game for Estill but no where close to being a "Great Game". Too much of a blowout.
1984 Belfry 10 Johns Creek 8 very physical football game.
^It's kind of ironic, but the fact that Estill Co. beat Russell like that in 2003 is kind of what made Belfry schedule the Engineers in the Pike Co. Bowl in 2004. Estill had a lot of starters returning and we expected a great game.

Belfry had lost their entire offensive line (OTs - Josh Cullop & Matt Marcum; Gs Phillip Varney & Jordan Clevinger; C - Mitch Case), TE - Zane Smith, WR - Kurt Kendrick, and QB Paul Howard. Most of these guys were two-year starters.

So all the Pirates had back was Gary Childers - FB, and HBs David Jones & Doug Howard.

The final score was 42-14 in favor of Belfry and it could have been a lot worse. Howard had 7 carries 232 yards and 3 TDs & Jones had 5 carries 150 yards & 3 TDs. This team did lead Belfry to their 2nd consecutive championship so they were likely better than we anticipated, but at the time we were expecting a nail-biter.
Estillfootballgirl Wrote:I Have To Bring Estill In Here And Say...

This should be in a thread about the biggest upsets.
BoondockSaint Wrote:^It's kind of ironic, but the fact that Estill Co. beat Russell like that in 2003 is kind of what made Belfry schedule the Engineers in the Pike Co. Bowl in 2004. Estill had a lot of starters returning and we expected a great game.

Belfry had lost their entire offensive line (OTs - Josh Cullop & Matt Marcum; Gs Phillip Varney & Jordan Clevinger; C - Mitch Case), TE - Zane Smith, WR - Kurt Kendrick, and QB Paul Howard. Most of these guys were two-year starters.

So all the Pirates had back was Gary Childers - FB, and HBs David Jones & Doug Howard.

The final score was 42-14 in favor of Belfry and it could have been a lot worse. Howard had 7 carries 232 yards and 3 TDs & Jones had 5 carries 150 yards & 3 TDs. This team did lead Belfry to their 2nd consecutive championship so they were likely better than we anticipated, but at the time we were expecting a nail-biter.
Estill was nowhere near the team in 2004 that they were in 2003. They RB that graduated in 03 was fantastic. I think his name was Richardson or something like that. They may have returned a few starters for 2004 but all of the playmakers were gone. They were not good at all in 2004.

2003 Estill Co (8-3)

Aug 23, '03Montgomery CountyMt. Sterling62- 6(W)Aug 29, '03Johnson CentralEstill County34- 14(W)Sep 5, '03Nicholas CountyEstill County12- 0(W)Sep 12, '03OpenEstill County- Sep 19, '03East CarterEast Carter37- 38(L)Sep 26, '03Lewis CountyLewis County34- 32(W)(double overtime)Oct 3, '03Fleming CountyEstill County36- 52(L)Oct 10, '03Morgan CountyMorgan County30- 22(W)Oct 17, '03RussellEstill County35- 14(W)Oct 24, '03West CarterWest Carter49- 36(W)Oct 31, '03Powell CountyEstill County77- 6(W)Nov 7, '03Lloyd MemorialLloyd Memorial28- 62(L)Class AA Football State Tournament

2004 Estill Co (3-7)

Aug 21, '04BelfryPikeville14- 41(L)Aug 27, '04Johnson CentralJohnson Central14- 44(L)Sep 3, '04Nicholas CountyNicholas County59- 13(W)Sep 10, '04Open- Sep 20, '04East CarterEstill County14- 27(L)Sep 24, '04Lewis CountyEstill County38- 35(W)Oct 1, '04Fleming CountyFleming County20- 42(L)Oct 8, '04Morgan CountyEstill County8- 27(L)Oct 15, '04RussellRussell8- 49(L)Oct 22, '04West CarterEstill County67- 34(W)Oct 29, '04Powell CountyPowell County36- 40(L)