Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2016
Russell has an experienced group of skilled Seniors. The season will be won or lost by the lines and the coaches. Another year without a running game will doom this talented group. Hopefully Maynard mixes in tight ends and going under center (never did last year). If not another year of wasted potential. Last years Devils had these skilled players as juniors and many senior lineman who all unachieved due to an offensive scheme that did not match the talent. Coaching is not a round peg in a square hole.
Maynard is a great coach. Whoever this joker is that's bashing TJ knows nothing about football. Evans and Morris good coaches too.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Russell has an experienced group of skilled Seniors. The season will be won or lost by the lines and the coaches. Another year without a running game will doom this talented group. Hopefully Maynard mixes in tight ends and going under center (never did last year). If not another year of wasted potential. Last years Devils had these skilled players as juniors and many senior lineman who all unachieved due to an offensive scheme that did not match the talent. Coaching is not a round peg in a square hole.

Somewhat confused by the "lack of a run game here". Russell put up over 4000 yards of offense and scored 65 TDs. According to the KHSAA site. Going of the numbers posted, they had a ratio of 2:1 in the Rush/Pass category, in both play calling and scoring plays.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Somewhat confused by the "lack of a run game here". Russell put up over 4000 yards of offense and scored 65 TDs. According to the KHSAA site. Going of the numbers posted, they had a ratio of 2:1 in the Rush/Pass category, in both play calling and scoring plays.

Meant to say yardage/td not play calling and scoring lays.
Russell's defense hasnt been what it was in its hayday. I think thats just a result of the system itself. All programs go through it. Russell had a mich easier go of things when they were in 2A due to the alignment. Now its a tougher region and tougher substate. When McGlone was on his way out it was "lack of a passing game" that argument was valid. But to say Russell has had no sort of funning game with kids like Korzep and Conley being the two big names under Maynard, I have to disagree.
Maynard can coach, anybody who truly knows the game knows he is good coach. No need to bash him, Russell was in state semi-final his first year and had good season year 2. He is proven winner everywhere he's been.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Maynard can coach, anybody who truly knows the game knows he is good coach. No need to bash him, Russell was in state semi-final his first year and had good season year 2. He is proven winner everywhere he's been.

Sounds like Daddy is unhappy about Junior'slack of playing time.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Russell's defense hasnt been what it was in its hayday. I think thats just a result of the system itself. All programs go through it. Russell had a mich easier go of things when they were in 2A due to the alignment. Now its a tougher region and tougher substate. When McGlone was on his way out it was "lack of a passing game" that argument was valid. But to say Russell has had no sort of funning game with kids like Korzep and Conley being the two big names under Maynard, I have to disagree.

The back to back state final appearances Russell defeated Belfry both years. The year before those they lost to eventual state champs Belfry and Breathitt County. So how was it much easier than now? Also Mason was loaded most of those years.
Fred Sanford Wrote:The back to back state final appearances Russell defeated Belfry both years. The year before those they lost to eventual state champs Belfry and Breathitt County. So how was it much easier than now? Also Mason was loaded most of those years.

I guess he doesn't realize that 2A then is 3A now with 6 classes. If anything it was harder as the classes were bigger....and in my opinion better suited for football in KY.
Fred Sanford Wrote:The back to back state final appearances Russell defeated Belfry both years. The year before those they lost to eventual state champs Belfry and Breathitt County. So how was it much easier than now? Also Mason was loaded most of those years.

WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I guess he doesn't realize that 2A then is 3A now with 6 classes. If anything it was harder as the classes were bigger....and in my opinion better suited for football in KY.

In most cases, playoff paths were harder in the four class system. However, Russell's current path is harder than it was 10-12 years ago for one simple reason... Belfry is a monster. For as good as the Pirates were in the early to mid 2000's, they're just simply on another level now. The current 3A alignment is stronger than the 2A alignment of a decade ago, IMO. The quality of programs at the top of the class right now is pretty deep with Belfry, Central, Boyle Co., LexCath, Corbin etc.
Russell Scrimmages at Wheelersburg,Ohio at 7 pm tonight 8/19. Should get a taste of what we need to work on.
You're so bent out of shape about Maynard but do you realize Ivan didn't win a district since 2007? Maynard came in first year and took Russell to semi-state game. People can't accept change but for some reason forget what kind of shape the program was in when we he took over.
Russell 10
Wheelersburg 7

Halftime
Devil FB trails The Burg, 21-10 in the third quarter.
Wheelersburg 35 Russell 10 I think that might be final
That was correct.

Varsity played the first 3 quarters. It was 21-10.

Wheelersburg JV added two TDs in the 4th.
^ So what is the scoop Fball? Where did Russell look good and where bad?
Good luck to the Devils this season.