Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 43 Prestonsburg 6
Big Five-0- Wrote:Daric Pugh ends up with four touchdowns, and 310 yards. Sophomore qb Cody Dials did a great job for first game of the season. Very accurate in throwing the ball, plus great running. No stats on him at this time. Congrats Panthers on a great win, and good luck against Letcher Central next Saturday evening in the Pike Co. Bowl!
I agree! I thought Cody handled himself pretty well tonight. He will get better as the season goes along. The D was "Lights Out" tonight!
Dang Prestonsburg must have lost a lot. I think they will get it together in a few games. Congrats Pikeville!
PHSForever Wrote:Which number was he? Prestonsburg has some nice players, but not cohesive as a team yet. They will get a little better when the line gels.
L I believe he was #7.
First chance I've had to really sit and think. But the more I do, the more impressed I am with what our D did last night as well. Frasure is an outstanding RB, and I think most of whatever yardage he got, he got in the 3rd qtr. the TD that Prestonsburg scored was on a pass the QB got rid of falling down as 3 Pikeville players were about to sack him for a big loss and Frasure had a lot of room to run with it once he caught it. Otherwise, the D kept it pretty much bottled up all night.

The O looked sharp for the first game of the season and Dials I thought did a wonderful job of managing it. First career start, I think Mac's plan was to make it so he didn't have to try and win the game himself, and they leaned on that stable of RB's we have, led by Pugh. Cody Charles had a couple of outstanding runs last night also, looking fast and powerful too. Overall awesome night and a good atmosphere for a ball game. Jarrell's kickoff return for a TD set the tone though.
PHSForever Wrote:First chance I've had to really sit and think. But the more I do, the more impressed I am with what our D did last night as well. Frasure is an outstanding RB, and I think most of whatever yardage he got, he got in the 3rd qtr. the TD that Prestonsburg scored was on a pass the QB got rid of falling down as 3 Pikeville players were about to sack him for a big loss and Frasure had a lot of room to run with it once he caught it. Otherwise, the D kept it pretty much bottled up all night.

The O looked sharp for the first game of the season and Dials I thought did a wonderful job of managing it. First career start, I think Mac's plan was to make it so he didn't have to try and win the game himself, and they leaned on that stable of RB's we have, led by Pugh. Cody Charles had a couple of outstanding runs last night also, looking fast and powerful too. Overall awesome night and a good atmosphere for a ball game. Jarrell's kickoff return for a TD set the tone though.

Agree. It was beginning to look like Pikeville was heading for a shut out. However, Frasure was in the right place at the right time to make the catch for the td. Not to take anything away from him, as he is one fine RB. The fact is, the Panther D swarmed to the ball throughout the game. Congrats to the Panthers on the win, and here's hoping the Blackcats will get better each game as the season progresses, and good luck to them.
Looks like only Bulldogs between them and the Rams.
E's Army Wrote:Looks like only Bulldogs between them and the Rams.
There will be many tough games this year. And not knocking Prestonsburg at all, they will get better.
Big Five-0- Wrote:

Agree. It was beginning to look like Pikeville was heading for a shut out. However, Frasure was in the right place at the right time to make the catch for the td. Not to take anything away from him, as he is one fine RB. The fact is, the Panther D swarmed to the ball throughout the game. Congrats to the Panthers on the win, and here's hoping the Blackcats will get better each game as the season progresses, and good luck to them.
Agree. In the earlier thread, before it got derailed (lol), I mentioned that the D being aggressive to the ball would be what I wanted to see most. My hopes were answered. D line got good push all night and there was really just no time for them to do much. DB's did a good job in coverage, which kept Pburg pretty one dimensional too.
Great start, just like last year. They have to find a way to finish as strong. Maybe keep posting stuff in locker room about their last game last season to let it burn in their bellies all year.
mysonis55 Wrote:Great start, just like last year. They have to find a way to finish as strong. Maybe keep posting stuff in locker room about their last game last season to let it burn in their bellies all year.
Believe me, it's drilled into their heads. They don't need wall paper in the locker room as a reminder
mysonis55 Wrote:Great start, just like last year. They have to find a way to finish as strong. Maybe keep posting stuff in locker room about their last game last season to let it burn in their bellies all year.
The only thing that was "just like last year" was the end result.
No, I really think that has been a thing the past few years. They rebounded 2 years ago to beat the Rams the second time, which sent shock waves. They then got a little full of themselves and apparently weren't prepared the next week. Last year they were clearly the favorite coming into their last game and apparently weren't prepared. I think if they are prepared they will have to have it taken from them. They have to stay focused and be prepared each and every week.
In regaurds to Prestonsburg season from here on out. Paintsville is living-breathing proof of what the difference can be from the first game of the year to the last. Prestonsburg will get better. As for Pikeville, it looks like they are primed for another deep playoff year. It seems so far away but in 4 months from today we will be complaining that its all over and how quick it was over. Good luck to both squads from here on out:
mysonis55 Wrote:No, I really think that has been a thing the past few years. They rebounded 2 years ago to beat the Rams the second time, which sent shock waves. They then got a little full of themselves and apparently weren't prepared the next week. Last year they were clearly the favorite coming into their last game and apparently weren't prepared. I think if they are prepared they will have to have it taken from them. They have to stay focused and be prepared each and every week.
I don't think you give enough credit for how good that Fairview team who beat them was. Officially, it is now a win by forfeit for the Panthers, but in reality, Fairview was the better team that night. No excuses. Having said that, I point to two MAJOR differences in last years Paintsville loss vs the win earlier in the season: Paintsville had their line back and Estep was playing on a badly broken foot. Those are two significant variables. That doesn't mean Paintsville was not the better team that night, because the scoreboard said they were. But.... Boy I bet that game if played over ten more times would have a different ending. Just my opinion. One night can change everything.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Congrats to my Panthers on a big win on the road. We've still got things we can improve on and no doubt Coach Mac and his staff will go to work to correct them. Now, with that said. How long before the P-Burg Alumni, Boosters, and fans say "Enough is Enough" with Derossett? There are die hard alumni pulling their kids out of there left and right because of him. I honestly can say I have never talked to a person from P-Burg who had a anything good to say about the guy. Yes I know he's politically connected but even that won't save him if the Blackcat faithful are storming the gates of the Floyd Co. BOE demanding his head after the beating he just took. That's kindve the vibe I got from the P-Burg fans tonight at the game....

Anybody notice the play where James Derossett was mouthing off to #34 Charles of Pikeville cause I'm guessing he thought it was a late hit near sideline. (It wasn't . ) no class mouthing off to the other teams kids . Classless. Funny to watch as charles was mouthing off right back to him as Pikeville players pulled him back on the field and out of the situation. Big ups for him not taking mouth from opposing teams coach and his nonsense..
I can't wait to see highlight video from Panther Thunder. Best in the business. And yes I saw that. He's been doing that for years, not just to Pikeville either. But it's over and on to the next.
I was just thinking the same thing earlier PHS. Imo, he's the best. Not only are they entertaining to watch, but good as a reference. Sure appreciate his work.
Chadrick124 Wrote:Anybody notice the play where James Derossett was mouthing off to #34 Charles of Pikeville cause I'm guessing he thought it was a late hit near sideline. (It wasn't . ) no class mouthing off to the other teams kids . Classless. Funny to watch as charles was mouthing off right back to him as Pikeville players pulled him back on the field and out of the situation. Big ups for him not taking mouth from opposing teams coach and his nonsense..
Nothing surprises me with Derossett....Wouldn't put anything past him.....Notice none of the Blackcat faithful rushed on here to defend him or deny what I said earlier....VERY telling!
I almost had the prediction correct. Good road win Panthers ! Looked really good in every facet of the game
Chadrick124 Wrote:Anybody notice the play where James Derossett was mouthing off to #34 Charles of Pikeville cause I'm guessing he thought it was a late hit near sideline. (It wasn't . ) no class mouthing off to the other teams kids . Classless. Funny to watch as charles was mouthing off right back to him as Pikeville players pulled him back on the field and out of the situation. Big ups for him not taking mouth from opposing teams coach and his nonsense..

Had it been in the locker room where adults couldn't see, it would have been more physical than verbal. Guy is a complete idiot and the ones who allow it to continue are even bigger idiots.
Not getting into all the coaching talk. It serves no purpose.

Pikeville could've won this game by another 14-20 if it wanted. The Panthers were just plain better. No surprise... This Blackcat team is mostly last year's JV team getting the shock of how much faster the game is at the varsity level. lol...

Pikeville looks very sharp for its first game. Excellent size and team speed, especially on defense.

:popcorn:
As always, PT never fails to deliver. Best in the business, sir!
You da man Panther Thunder. Many thanks!
I am as big of a Blackcat Fan as any, but I also call it like I see it. I said preseason we would win 4-5 games. We simply had to many holes to fill coming into this season.

Pikeville has a solid team on both sides of the ball, but for those of you gauging their team on this win, don't read to much into it. Prestonsburg is in "rebuild mode". Pikeville must stay focused each game, and if so, they will be a strong contender to make the trip to Bowling Green.

The loss of Jarrell at QB was huge. Breaking in a new inexperienced QB coupled with replacing all but 1 of your O-line is a great task. Especially when you also lose 7 of 8 leading tacklers on the opposite side of the ball. We will see if the coaching staff can develop this young team throughout the season.

A few of you seniors, you know who you are, are going to have to step up and take control of this team on the field. Help your young brothers on the field. They will learn from their mistakes only if you help guide them.

The good news is Pikeville is probably the best team we will face this year. Don't get me wrong we still have some stiff competition left in the likes of Shelby Valley, Leslie County, Lawrence County, and Hazard. Pikeville exposed every weakness this team has, but we still have time to correct them before district play.

Good luck to Chat and the Panthers the rest of the season.

Blackcats get ready for the next one. Hold your heads high. It is not the accomplishments we have that make us the men we become, but the struggles we work through and overcome.
I was surprised to see so many people thinking that this game would be close, I knew what P-burg lost and what Pikeville had returning and I knew this would be an absolute beat-down exactly like it was.

Congrats to Pikeville and good luck to the Blackcats the rest of the season, as bad as I hate to say that! LOL
PHSForever Wrote:As always, PT never fails to deliver. Best in the business, sir!
Ive said it before and I'll say it again....PT is the "Ed Sabol" of PHS sports.....Dude is CLUTCH!!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:

Watch Daric Pugh turn on the afterburners down field enroute to a touchdown at the 7:33 mark of the game. :Clap: