Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 35 Boyd Co 0
Devilologist Wrote:man you are starting to sound like FBALL. giving all the guards the Kudos on here.... Just giving it to ya. FBALL. :devilflam
Best athletes on the field you know. :Thumbs:
FBALL Wrote:Best athletes on the field you know. :Thumbs:

When it comes to Russell, that's 99% true. I can remember going up against Mattie T. Talk about a train coming right at ya.
Tomcat68 Wrote:When it comes to Russell, that's 99% true. I can remember going up against Mattie T. Talk about a train coming right at ya.

Cmon there 68 you know he was just a little feller......Smile
Midee1 Wrote:Cmon there 68 you know he was just a little feller......Smile

Yeah whatever! I still see him from time to time when he visits his sister. She's my supervisor at work. And even more ironic is the fact that their dad is my brother's supervisor.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Yeah whatever! I still see him from time to time when he visits his sister. She's my supervisor at work. And even more ironic is the fact that their dad is my brother's supervisor.

If I remember correctly he was half of the Bash Brothers. Matt Thompson and Matt Campbell. Man could those two lay the wood to opposing players. Was fun to watch.
Devil68 Wrote:The only offensive line Kudo I would give out to this point would be to Ethan Gullett.
Wrong. The offensive line is a unit and to say only one of them has played well is wrong. Clark did not rush for 150 yards against Ashland because of one guy blocking. The entire offensive line to me has been pretty good.
Midee1 Wrote:If I remember correctly he was half of the Bash Brothers. Matt Thompson and Matt Campbell. Man could those two lay the wood to opposing players. Was fun to watch.

That was quite a duo. That team really had a chance to be Coach McGlone's second state championship. Lose to Breathitt on a Missed extra point in OT after leading by 14 in the 3rd quarter. The same Breathitt that beat Corbin by about 50 in the state championship game. That one still hurts. If I remember correctly that group stubbed their toe the second week of the season at Putnam Stadium too. Hopefully history will repeat itself and this group goes on to improve as much as the 2002 team did.
Tomcat68 Wrote:When it comes to Russell, that's 99% true.

I wasn't kidding about that one. Was I D.
FBALL Wrote:Wrong. The offensive line is a unit and to say only one of them has played well is wrong. Clark did not rush for 150 yards against Ashland because of one guy blocking. The entire offensive line to me has been pretty good.

Easy FBALL.....Just IMO. Yes, you could say they have all been playing well, or pretty good. But I have high expectations set for this year’s team (2006 AA State Champs), and certain things that I'm looking for from the line I haven't seen yet. I look for flat backs and driving defensive linemen 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. As a unit seeing holes open at the line that has everyone looking at each other and saying, man did you see that hole. I want to be able to run between the tackles without being hit at the line of scrimmage, or in the backfield. Clark got a lot of his yards against Ashland after getting hit.

I hope the line feels the same way and continue to improve and not be satisfied until they are playing at that level.

P.S. I gave a Kudo to Ethan for no fumbled snaps at the line of scrimmage. That to me is important.
Devil68 Wrote:Easy FBALL.....Just IMO. Yes, you could say they have all been playing well, or pretty good. But I have high expectations set for this year’s team (2006 AA State Champs), and certain things that I'm looking for from the line I haven't seen yet. I look for flat backs and driving defensive linemen 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. As a unit seeing holes open at the line that has everyone looking at each other and saying, man did you see that hole. I want to be able to run between the tackles without being hit at the line of scrimmage, or in the backfield. Clark got a lot of his yards against Ashland after getting hit.

I hope the line feels the same way and continue to improve and not be satisfied until they are playing at that level.

P.S. I gave a Kudo to Ethan for no fumbled snaps at the line of scrimmage. That to me is important.

Ashland loaded up the line of scrimmage and blitzed to make the short traps impossible. It was all about penetration and not allowing the blocking angles that make that offense effective. The second half when Russell went to the power I, they were more effective but EVERYBODY knew who was going to get the ball and where it was going. The lineman were outnumbered in their blocking assignments. Ashlands defense is very quick and the fact that Russell's offense was so predictable that night made the linemen look worse. Thats not to say they couldn't have played better because they could.

I don't disagree with you about Gullet playing well, but this group has the talent, they need to develope the cohesiveness that will make them champions. I didn't mean for it to sound harsh but team work, especially along the offensive line, is of utmost importance if you want this group to accomplish the goals that they and we as fans have set.

IMO the line has played well. They have had missed assignmets( the fumble in the first quarter at Ashland was a direct result of this). But the physical talent is there. I think Russell will be just fine if they start playing with the heart and desire that they had last year.