Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th & 2 and down 3, what do you do?
Counter
Call timeout and radio upstairs to the PA man to have the crowd do a raise of hands and vote on the play call. A) sweep B) play action, etc....That way if it doesn't work you don't have to listen to all the bleacher coaches second guess you at Hardee's and Buffalo Bill's barber shop the next morning. All in good fun, but this is honestly my first thought when hearing this question. I'd probably go QB sneak on goose, giving the defense is geared for a long count. QB sneak, especially on goose, is the most underrated play in football.
better idea
[YOUTUBE="Coach Wrong Ball"]wkA3nxuMJoM[/YOUTUBE]
or try the ever popular shotgun, offset tailback away from your bench. then put the qb in motion toward your bench having him yell "coach, coach" pointing at his helmet and direct snap to the tailback running a sweep away
Quick Kick. The defense will never know what just hit them.
Fullback trap on a hard 2 count too try and draw them off sides, with the option for the Qb to check it into play action if he doesnt like what he sees.
Down & Distance: 4th & 2
Time, Quarter: 1:13, 4th Qtr, clock is running
Score: 27-24, you're down 3
Time Outs: You have 1 Left, your opponent has 2

The ball is on the opponent's 25 yard line (you're 25 yards away from the endzone).

Your sophomore kicker is 1-2 on field goals, barely making a 32 yard FG and missing a 28 yard FG wide left. Your defense hasn't given up a score the entire half.

They will have the middle stacked. They know they "have to stop the 1st down". You are probably going to get a Bear front or two 1 techniques or even a GL D. They will be selling out to stop your short yardage, running up the gut will be the toughest run to make. They will be roothogging and submarining you up front.( the D-lines hands wont come off the ground). Plain and simple, they will try to cut you down up front, make a huge pile with nowhere to go. 28 Rocket would be my call. They are looking to stop the 2 yards. Get outside with a good athlete, get him to the flank....might get 2, might get 10, might go.
32 trap
Easy call. Run QB wedge. on a hard count, offsides is a dream.....Play action leaves too much room for the QB to mess it it up..if sacked 3 times on the current drive, he cant handle the pressure. RB shows sweep, hoping the LB's read backs, FB pushes QB in the wedge. All coaches scream for the spot, working sideline judge...O line can run block, so this is the only option, in my opinion.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The ONLY correct answer in this instance is hook and ladder IYAM IMNSHO FWIW

Hail Mary Pass
HAT51 Wrote:Hail Mary Pass
This only works for the private schools since the public schools have that separation of church state thingy:eyeroll:

Confusedinglepar
:AngelPray
now, how many would run a different play if this was a playoff game?
^ does it matter? If your coaching to win does it matter if it's week 6 or week 11. Besides with the original scenario I don't think that team would have made the playoffs with that personnel unless their in those four team districts
^ I mentioned that it was for the 2nd and 3rd seed so they would've made the playoffs.

My play calling wouldn't change, but I was wondering if there were some out there would be a little more or a little less aggressive with their call.
4 wide shotgun back in the back field qb on a rollout with backside receivers crossing routes out route for inside receiver and go route for outside man with rb protection on the rollout if no man to block he runs a shallow out
Gun, PA HB dive, QB roll right, pass run option.