Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 4th & 2 and down 3, what do you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's the scenario:

Down & Distance: 4th & 2
Time, Quarter: 1:13, 4th Qtr, clock is running
Score: 27-24, you're down 3
Time Outs: You have 1 Left, your opponent has 2

The ball is on the opponent's 25 yard line (you're 25 yards away from the endzone).

Your junior QB has thrown 2 INTs, both returned for TDs, and has been sacked 5 times, 3 times on this drive. Your senior RB is averaging 4 yards a carry and gained 8 yards on an emergency pass by your QB on the last play. The O-Line is good at run blocking, but struggles with pass blocking.

Your sophomore kicker is 1-2 on field goals, barely making a 32 yard FG and missing a 28 yard FG wide left. Your defense hasn't given up a score the entire half.

It's not the playoffs, but you're playing a district rival. The winner gets the 2nd seed, loser gets the 3rd seed and has to travel 120 miles for their 1st round playoff game.

What's the call coach?
5 Wide, QB Draw.
toussaints Wrote:Here's the scenario:

Down & Distance: 4th & 2
Time, Quarter: 1:13, 4th Qtr, clock is running
Score: 27-24, you're down 3
Time Outs: You have 1 Left, your opponent has 2

The ball is on the opponent's 25 yard line (you're 25 yards away from the endzone).

Your junior QB has thrown 2 INTs, both returned for TDs, and has been sacked 5 times, 3 times on this drive. Your senior RB is averaging 4 yards a carry and gained 8 yards on an emergency pass by your QB on the last play. The O-Line is good at run blocking, but struggles with pass blocking.

Your sophomore kicker is 1-2 on field goals, barely making a 32 yard FG and missing a 28 yard FG wide left. Your defense hasn't given up a score the entire half.

It's not the playoffs, but you're playing a district rival. The winner gets the 2nd seed, loser gets the 3rd seed and has to travel 120 miles for their 1st round playoff game.

What's the call coach?
I Formation, Play action to the FB, roll out for the QB, with the option to run or pass. I just like plays that give more than one option and forces the defense to make a decision quickly. In this situation the D will be geared up to stop the run, PA gets them moving the wrong way, already behind on the play, they will either panic to cover the pass or go for the scrambling QB. QB should be able to read it and make the play.

In a perfect world :biggrin:
Will agree with Belfry if the RB takes the snap. Otherwise, would go 4 wide and run zone/read or counter trey to get him the ball (no info on how well the QB runs).

Can't trust kicker on a 42 yarder, and if you are going for it based on the information, you should run instead of throw. A first down stops the clock, so have a play ready as the chains move, and you still have a timeout left after that.
The earlier 2 INTs scared me away from the rollout thought with the QB.
Try to draw the defense offsides. Does not work, off tackle play action to the rb and roll out the qb same direction as fake. If I formation, fb to the flats qb run it or pass to fb.

Spread team, trips to wide side sprint out. # 3 wr seals the edge, #1 & #2 go deep, rb goes out to the flats coming behind #1's seal block. Qb runs it or dumps it to the rb.

Prefer qb runs it every time.
Tobin Frost Wrote:The earlier 2 INTs scared me away from the rollout thought with the QB.
Hey, he's our guy. He is the QB for a reason! Forget the past and Go make a play! lol
punt
Toss sweep on a 2 count in case they jump.
Shotgun formation: 1 QB and 1 HB in the backfield. Receivers split wide out. No TE.

Direct snap it to the HB.
What yard line are we on? It isnt the 2 because you said 4th and 2? or is it 4th and goal from the the two?
IAM22...I know a particular current Head Coach/former QB that ran that play on almost every 3rd short/4th down in high school, especially near the goal line. Would run virtually untouched to the edge or pylon almost every time.
FMSbball Wrote:What yard line are we on? It isnt the 2 because you said 4th and 2? or is it 4th and goal from the the two?

25 yard line going in, it would be a 42 yard FG if you tried it
Putting the QB in shotgun gives him a little more time before the pressure comes. I'm thinking Spread right, middle screen to the RB.
If my o-line is built to run the football and we are having success I think you run the ball. Whatever you bread and butter run play is. Mine would be Midline veer. Let the QB have an option.
Give it to the senior RB! And if he gets a 1st down ride him till he score maybe let the QB pass once, instructed if nothing is open throw it away. Go back. To the RB.
Power, Power, Power
Power I Straight up the gut with the HB. Put it in your seniors hands.
Of course shove it down their throat. Power I 22 dive right up the gut. He's averaging 4 yards a carry you only need 2.
^And he's a senior!
See my user name for more details....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:See my user name for more details....

5 wide hail mary to the end zone right?
^
close
Simple.....give it to boss........and if he does not get it give it to him again.
I would run the annexation of Puerto Rico
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:Simple.....give it to boss........and if he does not get it give it to him again.

It was forth down
^
lol

He was going colorado style with 5 downs.
I would RIUTG. Big Grin
^
I second that
The ONLY correct answer in this instance is hook and ladder IYAM IMNSHO FWIW
Pages: 1 2