Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBO...Obamacare Cost Nearly Double
Truth Wrote:Of course, many of the commodity recipients immediately "liquidated" their five pound boxes of cheese and other staples. If you ever witnessed the distribution of commodities, you would know that the lines were long. I had a friend who was a divorced alcoholic with five young children whom he didn't support. He got commodities. In fact, believe it or not, he received five, yes five, five pound boxes of cheese each month. He sold those boxes of cheese each month for enough to buy a few bottles of cheap wine. I feel sure that this is not an isolated example.
Not debating the lines, but there was also food stamps(paper) at that time also. TRT was saying that the new stamps(credit card) was meant to make the recipients feel more comfortable. It wasn't, it was designed to cut down on people selling the paper stamps. The "commodities" were in addition to food stamps. It was food stuffs that were identified as agricultural. It was surplus products that the farmers couldn't sale for a reasonable profit, so the government bought it at a fair price, and gave to those that were supposedly qualified as needy. The commodities might have started first, I don't know, but in my time of remembering, they had both those and foodstamps at the same time.
TheRealVille Wrote:Not debating the lines, but there was also food stamps(paper) at that time also. TRT was saying that the new stamps(credit card) was meant to make the recipients feel more comfortable. It wasn't, it was designed to cut down on people selling the paper stamps. The "commodities" were in addition to food stamps. It was food stuffs that were identified as agricultural. It was surplus products that the farmers couldn't sale for a reasonable profit, so the government bought it at a fair price, and gave to those that were supposedly qualified as needy. The commodities might have started first, I don't know, but in my time of remembering, they had both those and foodstamps at the same time.

Another miscalculation by our "brilliant bureaucrats". What the recipients do now is buy qualifying goods with their cards and immediately sell them to a third party for pennies on the dollar. Then they can use the money to buy drugs and alcohol. And, yes, I do know examples of this happening on a regular basis.

So you might suggest that I turn them in to the bureaucrats. Why? They won't do anything. They need the numbers for their records and the votes for their party to keep their jobs. And the taxpayers continue to be the victims.
Truth Wrote:Another miscalculation by our "brilliant bureaucrats". What the recipients do now is buy qualifying goods with their cards and immediately sell them to a third party for pennies on the dollar. Then they can use the money to buy drugs and alcohol. And, yes, I do know examples of this happening on a regular basis.

So you might suggest that I turn them in to the bureaucrats. Why? They won't do anything. They need the numbers for their records and the votes for their party to keep their jobs. And the taxpayers continue to be the victims.
I know this happens also. There will always be people that abuse any system that is in force.
TheRealVille Wrote:I know this happens also. There will always be people that abuse any system that is in force.

Particularly one that is monitored with closed eyes.
TheRealVille Wrote:Not debating the lines, but there was also food stamps(paper) at that time also. TRT was saying that the new stamps(credit card) was meant to make the recipients feel more comfortable. It wasn't, it was designed to cut down on people selling the paper stamps. The "commodities" were in addition to food stamps. It was food stuffs that were identified as agricultural. It was surplus products that the farmers couldn't sale for a reasonable profit, so the government bought it at a fair price, and gave to those that were supposedly qualified as needy. The commodities might have started first, I don't know, but in my time of remembering, they had both those and foodstamps at the same time.

No there weren't RealVille. The food stamps came later.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:No there weren't RealVille. The food stamps came later.
At my time, in the 70's, yes there were foodstamps, as well as commodities.
Either way...get rid of the program, go back to local control. Wait that is what we are talking about control of people... so sad... liberty dies more everyday.
TheRealVille Wrote:At my time, in the 70's, yes there were foodstamps, as well as commodities.

That was after Johnson's social ideal known as the "Great Society" was implimented. All you remember are times when welfare was humanized for the sakes of those who were on it. In the mid to late 50's onward, America enjoyed an economic boom. Most folks avoided welfare at all costs and, since jobs were plentiful they were largely successful in doing just that. It wasn't until later years when people began to realize they could play the establishment for suckers, and go on the perpetual dole. Before you set yourself up as an authority about welfare, you should at least do yourself the favor of reading up on it, cause you don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't talking about welfare of the 70's I was speaking of welfare from the late 40's through the mid 60's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:That was after Johnson's social ideal known as the "Great Society" was implimented. All you remember are times when welfare was humanized for the sakes of those who were on it. In the mid to late 50's onward, America enjoyed an economic boom. Most folks avoided welfare at all costs and, since jobs were plentiful they were largely successful in doing just that. It wasn't until later years when people began to realize they could play the establishment for suckers, and go on the perpetual dole. Before you set yourself up as an authority about welfare, you should at least do yourself the favor of reading up on it, cause you don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't talking about welfare of the 70's I was speaking of welfare from the late 40's through the mid 60's.
If you are 64, you don't have a clue about welfare of the 40-65's, without reading it in a book.
I posted from experience. I knew the families in town that were on welfare because some were friends and some were extended family. Information like this was common knowledge then, just as it is now. I was getting ready to start college in 65, and I remember very well, thank you. Why do you feel compelled to challenge what you haven't experienced? Don't shoot the messenger RV. I just call these things out because I have watched them go down and I always stick to the truth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If the government was not in the business of price support wouldn't cheese be cheaper for all of us.