Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RunItUpTheGut's Rankings For The Week Of 9/4
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Class 4A

1. Highlands (2-0)-(61-13 Win vs. Dixie Heights)
2. Boyle County (2-1)-(49-16 Win vs. Danville)
3. Lexington Catholic (2-1)-(21-18 Win @ Lafayette)
4. Covington Catholic (2-1)-(41-10 Loss vs. Lasalle OH)
5. Western (2-0)-(18-3 Win @ Male)
6. Rockcastle Co. (3-0)-(36-3 Win vs. Whitley County)
7. Ashland Blazer (2-1)-(18-14 Loss vs. George Washington WV)
8. Knox Central (2-1)-(34-28 Loss vs. Perry County Central)
9. Johnson Central (2-1)-(40-6 Win @ Clay County)
10.Russell County (3-0)-(60-39 Win @ South Laurel)

The top ten are 23-6.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Class 3A

1. Central (3-0)-(27-7 Win vs. Desales)
2. Bell County (2-1)-(63-20 Win vs. Middlesboro)
3. Belfry (2-0)-(34-21 Win @ Henry Clay)
4. Paducah Tilghman (1-2)-(24-6 Loss vs. Mayfield)
5. Breathitt County (68-12 Win vs. Newport)
6. Powell County (2-0)-(38-34 Win vs. Pike County Central)
7. Pike County Central (2-1)-(38-34 Loss @ Powell County)
8. Russell (1-1)-(20-14 Loss vs. Ironton OH)
9. Fort Campbell (1-2)-(49-0 Loss @ Warren Central)
10.Lawrence County (1-2)-(26-6 Loss @ Prestonsburg)

The top ten are 18-9. Shaky start.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Class 2A

1. Newport Central Catholic (3-0)-(42-17 Win vs. Campbell County)
2. Owensboro Catholic (3-0)-(23-20 Win @ Owensboro)
3. Somerset (2-0)-(Idle)
4. Danville (2-1)-(49-16 Loss vs. Boyle County)
5. Glasgow (3-0)-(55-7 Win @ Barren County)
6. Desales (0-2)-(27-7 Loss @ Central)
7. Prestonsburg (2-1)-(26-6 Win vs. Lawrence County)
8. Lexington Christian Academy (0-2)-(Idle)
9. Middlesboro (2-1)-(63-20 Loss @ Bell County)
10.Butler County (3-0)-(42-34 Win @ Fort Knox)

The top ten are 20-7.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Class 1A

1. Mayfield (3-0)-(24-6 Win @ Paducah Tilghman)
2. Beechwood (2-0)-(21-13 Win @ Holmes)
3. Hazard (1-0)-(Idle)
4. Louisville Holy Cross (3-0)-(41-8 Win @ Providence IN.)
5. Fairview (3-0)-(43-13 Win @ Fleming County)
6. Pikeville (3-0)-(21-20 Win vs. Raceland)
7. Harlan (1-1)-(Idle)
8. Raceland (1-2)-(21-20 Loss @ Pikeville)
9. Frankfort (2-1)-(38-23 Win vs. Sheldon Clark)
10. Williamsburg (2-1)-(40-0 Win vs. Pineville)

The top ten are 21-5. Pretty good start.
lion #1 Wrote:I respect your opinion PT but Harlan had 3 TD's called back in the Pikeville game that were all questionable calls. I'm not sure Pikeville beats Harlan on a neutral field. JMO
I understand your frustration, it was a close, hard fought game. But, let's be clear here. EVERY game has questionable calls, but there were NOT 3 TD's called back due to questionable calls in this game. I think the one you probably are pointing to the most is when the ball came loose from a Pikeville player near their own goalline, and a ref blew the play dead because he was down when the ball came out. That play happened directly in front of me, as I said on an earlier post, and there was no doubt at all that he was really down.

It was a tough game, let's leave it at that, because the kids on both sides put their every last ounce of blood, sweat, and tears into it. It wasn't stolen from Harlan by the refs, as you are implying. That was actually a well-reffed game. It's over and in the books, so let it go.
PHSForever Wrote:I understand your frustration, it was a close, hard fought game. But, let's be clear here. EVERY game has questionable calls, but there were NOT 3 TD's called back due to questionable calls in this game. I think the one you probably are pointing to the most is when the ball came loose from a Pikeville player near their own goalline, and a ref blew the play dead because he was down when the ball came out. That play happened directly in front of me, as I said on an earlier post, and there was no doubt at all that he was really down.

It was a tough game, let's leave it at that, because the kids on both sides put their every last ounce of blood, sweat, and tears into it. It wasn't stolen from Harlan by the refs, as you are implying. That was actually a well-reffed game. It's over and in the books, so let it go.
I understand that and it is frustrating,but at the same time the score at that point was Harlan 14-7 and if the runner was down why was the ball turned over to Harlan? If Harlan gets the ball then you have to give them 6 cause they took it all the way back. The beanbags came out and I have watched the video. All that aside,it would have been a great momentum change and probably would have led to a Harlan win. The problem i have with it is for you to say Raceland is better than Harlan when Pikeville could have lost that game just as easily as they won. Now I grant you that the game is in the books so I'll not address this topic again. My point in all of this is that Pikeville and Raceland and Harlan are about as close as three teams could possibly be at this point in the season. I believe any one of these three could beat the other at any given point. I also believe Fairview could possibly be there too but they have the weakest schedule of the four and they have yet to prove they deserve their rank. But that will pan out as the season goes along. I think they play raceland on 10/14 and that will tell the tale on them. I would love to get another shot at Pikeville in the semi's but unless Harlan can somehow come out of their region with a win over Hazard it will never happen. I think Harlan would have to beat them in regular season at Harlan and be able to get homefield advantage in the playoff's for that to happen. Before I go I'll say that if Harlan can't beat Middlesboro friday night then they probably won't be strong enough to beat Hazard for the region or at home in regular season. If Harlan losses to Middlesboro then I say we could only go 5-4 on the regular season because of the strong schedule we are playing. We have Mboro,Hazard and Corbin left this season along with Pineville,Lynn Camp,Jenkins and Leslie co..
lion #1 Wrote:I understand that and it is frustrating,but at the same time the score at that point was Harlan 14-7 and if the runner was down why was the ball turned over to Harlan? If Harlan gets the ball then you have to give them 6 cause they took it all the way back. The beanbags came out and I have watched the video. All that aside,it would have been a great momentum change and probably would have led to a Harlan win. The problem i have with it is for you to say Raceland is better than Harlan when Pikeville could have lost that game just as easily as they won. Now I grant you that the game is in the books so I'll not address this topic again. My point in all of this is that Pikeville and Raceland and Harlan are about as close as three teams could possibly be at this point in the season. I believe any one of these three could beat the other at any given point. I also believe Fairview could possibly be there too but they have the weakest schedule of the four and they have yet to prove they deserve their rank. But that will pan out as the season goes along. I think they play raceland on 10/14 and that will tell the tale on them. I would love to get another shot at Pikeville in the semi's but unless Harlan can somehow come out of their region with a win over Hazard it will never happen. I think Harlan would have to beat them in regular season at Harlan and be able to get homefield advantage in the playoff's for that to happen. Before I go I'll say that if Harlan can't beat Middlesboro friday night then they probably won't be strong enough to beat Hazard for the region or at home in regular season. If Harlan losses to Middlesboro then I say we could only go 5-4 on the regular season because of the strong schedule we are playing. We have Mboro,Hazard and Corbin left this season along with Pineville,Lynn Camp,Jenkins and Leslie co..
Down by contact. Or we are talking about two different plays. And I mean no offense at all when I say Raceland is tougher than Harlan. I believe Raceland has more speed on their team, and were tougher running the ball than Harlan. Harlan opened up their running game with the excellent passing of Saragas, whom I believe, with all due respect, is a better QB than the Elkins kid from Raceland (don't hate on me, Rams fans, it is just my opinion). Raceland was far better at establishing the running game first than Harlan IMO. I will say this, I'd hate to have to see either one of these teams again in the playoffs, although I know we will likely have to face one or the other potentially.

And don't overlook the toughness of Pikeville's schedule too. So far we have played Harlan, Raceland, and Tellico Plains. While we were clearly a better team than Tellico, they played hard and physical, and we just had more speed than they did, and a better QB and kicking game that allowed us to establish field position. Our kicker gives us a tremendous advantage, as every team has to go the full length of the field almost every single time against our D.

Our games left are Sheldon Clark, Swain, NC (undefeated on the season so far and a 7 time NC state champion in their class), Belfry, Shelby Valley, South Floyd, Allen Central, and Phelps. That is 2 3A schools, a 2A school, and 4 1A schools left on the schedule. We have a tough schedule as well, VERY tough.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The top ten are 25-3. Pretty good start.

Yea, 5A is playing a lot of weak schedules however.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The top ten are 18-8? Are they down or are they playing tough early schedules?

If you go to khsaa.org. Youll see all of 6A is struggling.
After seeing Dave Cantrell's Ratings I have come to realize that you are definately the better ranker. You should call the Herald leader and give him some tips on how to rate the teams. Great job Runitupthegut!!!:Thumbs:
Norm Peterson Wrote:Does Lexington Christian belong in the top 10? They lost 51-0 this week to Christ Presbyterian TN this week. They are now 0-3 on the season and they have been outscored
128-32.

I think Middlesboro stands a very good chance of beating LCA.
i think you are forgetting rowan they have three wins over good teams and have scored the most points in 4A just a little respect
#1vikingfan Wrote:i think you are forgetting rowan they have three wins over good teams and have scored the most points in 4A just a little respect

Are you serious? Rowan has played three very bad teams and they have given up a "ton" more points than every 4A school except one. If they were to play any of the top 5 teams in the class; they would give up 40+ points in the first quarter.
sstack Wrote:Are you serious? Rowan has played three very bad teams and they have given up a "ton" more points than every 4A school except one. If they were to play any of the top 5 teams in the class; they would give up 40+ points in the first quarter.

3 very bad teams huh? Montgomery is a decent team that held its own against clark until the end, but southwestern and mason, despite their terrible records, are solid football teams. southwestern has arguably one of the best tight ends in the state along with some great talent and they should be a very tough team when they get rolling. mason has 2 d1 athletes on their team with harris and black and i can see them going deeper in the playoffs than what most think. in the end though, rowan is 3-0 right now and as far as points allowed and all that, at the end of the day the L column is still 0 and thats what matters. can you say that about your team buddy?
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:3 very bad teams huh? Montgomery is a decent team that held its own against clark until the end, but southwestern and mason, despite their terrible records, are solid football teams. southwestern has arguably one of the best tight ends in the state along with some great talent and they should be a very tough team when they get rolling. mason has 2 d1 athletes on their team with harris and black and i can see them going deeper in the playoffs than what most think. in the end though, rowan is 3-0 right now and as far as points allowed and all that, at the end of the day the L column is still 0 and thats what matters. can you say that about your team buddy?

No I can't, my team is only 2-0, but they are going for their 5 straight state championship.:biggrin:
Dragonsdad Wrote:After seeing Dave Cantrell's Ratings I have come to realize that you are definately the better ranker. You should call the Herald leader and give him some tips on how to rate the teams. Great job Runitupthegut!!!:Thumbs:

Thanks man.
I just know one day ill buy a herald leader and see RUNITUPTHEGUT'S Rankings.
I might have to sue for that one lol jk.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I thought about that one hard Norm and after thinking about it i know nothing of out of state schools so i didnt want to penalize LCA for that. Also, the rest of the class is just as weak IMO.
Its hard to pick 10 teams that "deserve" to be in the top ten when youve only got roughly 32 teams in each class and over half of them in each class have losing records.

Green Co. is a 2a team with a record of 2-1. There loss coming to Evansville Central an out of state school. And have wins over Casey Co and Washington Co. Seems to me as if there resume would be as good as some in the top 10. Am sure you have your reasons for not putting them in there but would you care to share them?
centralky Wrote:Green Co. is a 2a team with a record of 2-1. There loss coming to Evansville Central an out of state school. And have wins over Casey Co and Washington Co. Seems to me as if there resume would be as good as some in the top 10. Am sure you have your reasons for not putting them in there but would you care to share them?
Yeah! Give Griff his props! I have to admit, I completely overlooked them not being on there too.
centralky Wrote:Green Co. is a 2a team with a record of 2-1. There loss coming to Evansville Central an out of state school. And have wins over Casey Co and Washington Co. Seems to me as if there resume would be as good as some in the top 10. Am sure you have your reasons for not putting them in there but would you care to share them?

Based on what they do friday, they might be in the top 10 this week.

rowans 3-0 and still not in it hmm guess rankings dont matter anymore?
cincyplayer23 Wrote:rowans 3-0 and still not in it hmm guess rankings dont matter anymore?

I took Rowan into consideration i really did.
But look at the top ten teams in 4A, and tell me which of those teams you think Rowan would beat.
Rowan has beat a 1-2 Montgomery County team at home by only 4.
They beat an 0-2 Southwestern team on the road by 8.
And they beat a very overrated 0-3 Mason County team at home by only 4.
I agree there 3-0 and deserve a little recognition, but not top 10 worthy yet.
Had they put up better performances agains these 3 bad teams than maybe but lets see what happens in two weeks at home against a West Jessamine team that played Knox tough and more importantly how they do against a tough Ashland team 3 weeks from now.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The top ten are 18-9. Shaky start.

Not speaking for the others but 1-2 PT has 2 losses to 2 #1 ranked teams. PT must find some help for Harmon on offense though or other teams who have someone athletic enough to stay with Harmon will do to them what Mayfield did. PT is real banged up right now with several starters out after the Mayfield game. Most noteable is their starting qb
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I took Rowan into consideration i really did.
But look at the top ten teams in 4A, and tell me which of those teams you think Rowan would beat.
Had they put up better performances agains these 3 bad teams than maybe but lets see what happens in two weeks at home against a West Jessamine team that played Knox tough and more importantly how they do against a tough Ashland team 3 weeks from now.
ashland, johnson c. and Knox c., i have seen jc n kc play and rowan beats them both west j is not very good either rowan will beat them as well, but the state will just keeping saying that we haven't played anyone because west will be 0-4 when we play them. after we beat ashland you will say that ashland was over rated and had really played anyone but that is ok. because we know how good we are.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I took Rowan into consideration i really did.
i forgot to mention that Rowan was up by 33 at one point on southwestern and came back form 21 points down to beat mason at mason with their leading reciever out for most of the secound half. hows that for performance
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I thought about that one hard Norm and after thinking about it i know nothing of out of state schools so i didnt want to penalize LCA for that. Also, the rest of the class is just as weak IMO.
Its hard to pick 10 teams that "deserve" to be in the top ten when youve only got roughly 32 teams in each class and over half of them in each class have losing records.

Murray deff deserves to be there......:welcome: Where they at . they are a better team than LCA just sayin
ontopofthewest Wrote:Murray deff deserves to be there......:welcome: Where they at . they are a better team than LCA just sayin...... They beat a good TN team to start the season in a close one, Played a great game in the cross town rivil with CC, and the down to the wire game against a large 5a school. 3 wins .. no dobt a #5 or #6 spot. things will change tonight as they play a #1 ranked Mayfield but that should put them in at about a #7 for next week....! ff deserves to be there......:welcome: Where they at . they are a better team than LCA just sayin the at least have the top 7-10 beat. They deserve a #5 - #6

#1vikingfan Wrote:ashland, johnson c. and Knox c., i have seen jc n kc play and rowan beats them both west j is not very good either rowan will beat them as well, but the state will just keeping saying that we haven't played anyone because west will be 0-4 when we play them. after we beat ashland you will say that ashland was over rated and had really played anyone but that is ok. because we know how good we are.

First of all i dont think Ashland was on anyones list as a team that could make some noise at the beginning of the year, atleast not any that i have seen. But they are a good team.
And secondly, i wont say anything like that. Its an unbiased ranking. Ill give credit where credit is due. If they beat Ashland theyll move up. I can promise you that one.
#1vikingfan Wrote:i forgot to mention that Rowan was up by 33 at one point on southwestern and came back form 21 points down to beat mason at mason with their leading reciever out for most of the secound half. hows that for performance

Looking at the points Rowan has given up on D, I do not think it is much of a performance.
Class 6A

1. Trinity (2-0)-(Idle)
2. Dupont Manual (2-0)-(Idle)
3. Scott County (3-0)-(52-0 Win vs. Harrison County)
4. St. Xavier (1-2)-(28-20 Loss vs. Bowling Green)
5. Ryle (2-1)-(37-0 Loss @ Colerain OH)
6. Male (2-1)-(18-3 Win vs. Western)
7. Butler (1-1)-(43-14 Win vs. Eastern)
8. Central Hardin (2-0)-(53-6 Win vs. Elizabethtown)
9. Bryan Station (2-1)-(21-14 Win @ West Jessamine)
10.Henderson County (1-2)-(41-7 Loss vs. Christian County)

See you took my advice on Henderson Co....:biggrin: Top 6 look good. 7-10 I see as changing weekly. If GCR can beat Bryan Station tonight...they will need some consideration. Look forward to nexts weeks rankings!!!

I think you've done an excellent job on 4A. It's nice to see Russell Co get some props for what they've done so far, and we'll get to see if they really belong tonight. I agree with 1-6 100%, and 7-10 (or perhaps 12) will require a few more games to sort out, but I couldn't disagree with the order you have.

As to Rowan Co., I would think they should be the highest scoring team in the state. Their defense doesn't stay on the field long. So they have lots of opportunities to score. They're allowing 43.3 points per game and have an avg win margin of only 5 points.

By comparison, Russell Co at 3-0 has had a presumable weak defense in allowing a total 60 points in 3 games...Rowan Co's defense has been completely non-existent in allowing 130.

Southwestern plays Marion Co tonight (who Russell Co beat on a neutral field 41-28). So Marion-Southwestern can be a bit of a measuring stick on how Rowan & Russell compare in 4A. Whether either team belongs (or stays) in the top 10 depends on what they can do against better teams.