Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Channing Fugate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As many of you may know, Breathitt County's Channing Fugate will be playing for the University of Tennessee Football team next year. What are your thoughts on how well Channing will do at the next level and what kind of career do you think he will have there?
I don't think he is SEC material but I hope he can do all of us in east ky proud
Channing is a good player, but not great. I wonder what position he will play at UT.
I know nothing of him im sorry but i do remember a kid named shaun alexander from kentucky that ended up at Alabama. as memory serves me he faired pretty well :Thumbs:
He is ok but he will quickly learn to play with a team and he will win ball games which is what he should have been doing to start with but im really not a big UT fan and I cant stand lane kiffen so i feel sorry for him Kiffen is a loud mouth coach that dosent know when to shut up
I got a feeling he won't be playing on the offensive side of the ball...If he does I think it will be at tightend...I see him being moved to the defensive side of the ball once he gets down there. Many colleges do that. They tell the recruite what they want to hear, and once they have them on campus and enrolled, they do what they want with them. Channing is a better fit on the defensive side of the ball. He has the size and ability to play linebacker. Thats where he will be next year in my opinion....

But if he doesn't step up and make some plays in the second half of the season, UT may pull their offer. A similar situation happened with Brad Durham of Rockcastle a few years back. He verbally committed to UofL and halfway through the season UofL pulled that offer...and UK picked him up...I dont think this will happen to Channing, but it's a possibility.

Good Luck Channing!!!!
Old Henry Man Wrote:Channing is a good player, but not great. I wonder what position he will play at UT.

Channing says UT plans on using him as a "hybrid fullback". That is a player kind of like what Darryl Johnston was for the Cowboys in the 90's. A blocker 65-75% of the time but someone who can catch the ball out of the backfield.
I'm going to tick alot of people off with this post.
He goes for a year then it ends up not working out. However I hope i'm wrong and he rushes for 1,000 yards someday!
Brian Milam Wrote:Channing says UT plans on using him as a "hybrid fullback". That is a player kind of like what Darryl Johnston was for the Cowboys in the 90's. A blocker 65-75% of the time but someone who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Probably the best current comparison is the FB Chappas from Georgia or Leonard formerly of Rutgers and currently with the Bengals.
i think he will be better in college then high school. in high school every one is keying on stoping him. In college he will have many weapons around him. I wish him Good Luck
I am going to have to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. UT (Not a fan at all by the way) isn't in the habit of offering scholarships to kids that are undeserving. He will have to do his part and continue to get better. Of course some UT fans may argue my point and use Crompton as an example.
When healthy, Channing Fugate is one of the best players in the state. Kid can just about do it all. He is still the best player Prestonsburg has faced this season. He can put up some unreal numbers and can put up more rushing yards in half his games than most can throughout their entire season. He will represent the Mountains & State well at Tennessee.
Fugate is definitely one of the best players I've watched in the last couple of years. I wish him the best of luck. Always good to see local guys go D-1, whether they make it a year or 4. :Clap:
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:i think he will be better in college then high school. in high school every one is keying on stoping him. In college he will have many weapons around him. I wish him Good Luck

this is true, in highschool, when someone plays them they worry about nothing but stopping fuggit, in college u cant always do that.
As someone said, he is being viewed as a hybrid type fullback.. The starting FB at UT is a junior, so in a year or so he'd be right there to compete for some playing time. I think he'll do well. A big kid who can move. Might not get a lot of rushes, but will be an option in the passing game. Assuming we have one by then. LOL.
1 year at U T then probley will transfer to EKU or some collage if that size.Wish he would rethink ever thing and come to Richmond were he could be a star.I wish him the best were ever he goes.
when he is healthly and gets after it he is tuff
I've heard several say that he'll do better in college than high school because everyone won't be keying on him. That much is true but in the SEC even the linemen can run him down. They don't have to key on him at all in that league. This is not a knock on him by no means. This relates to almost all of the players that come out of high school in this area. It's a totally different world. Hope he proves me wrong. I pity him having to put up with Kiffen. GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!
What is his size and speed?
I've seen on here "when he's healthy". Is something wrong with him now?
Stardust Wrote:I've seen on here "when he's healthy". Is something wrong with him now?

he got hurt (Bruised hip) couple weeks ago against Johnson Central. but at that time they didnt know what it was so they took him out of the game and took him to the hospital. but come to find out all it was Brusied Hip. he didnt play against Hazard even though he was cleared. he will playing against the Engineers this Friday!
^ Thanks, glad it's nothing serious
Channing will stay at Tenn. all 4yrs and prove all the people who say he can't do it wrong.
^ Hope you are right
I can't see him as a fullback, hybrid or otherwise, but with his size and speed, he could be a force at linebacker his Junior and Senior year. He will hit, doesn't care who hits back and has good football sense.
Channing mat not get what he wants, but may get what he needs.
He is a player and his best shot at getting on the field quick is on defense.
I thought I read somewhere he has asthma. Hopefully, he can get this taken care of and it doesn't affect him in Knoxville.
bchater Wrote:I know nothing of him im sorry but i do remember a kid named shaun alexander from kentucky that ended up at Alabama. as memory serves me he faired pretty well :Thumbs:

please tell me you didnt compare hime to Mr. Alexander. i know fugate dont have no teammates to help him but a sec player should run over high school players by him self and his just not doing that. I have heard rumors that he came into the past two seasons out of shape and not full speed. he goes to UT out of shape and not full speed then he will get his head knocked off because players like Eric Berry on UTs defence dont care and are always ready to knock somebodys head off anytime. I know Berry wont be there but there are plenty more players out there that are similiar to him. He better be ready next fall or summer when he goes there because if his not he will either be sitting the bench, hurt, or coming back home. i want to see the young man do good at UT but he has to work alot harder!!
Channing works as hard as anyone on Breathitts team and saying he is out of shape is ludacris. I see Channing playing on the defensive side of the ball. He has the size and the speed to be a good college LB.
C.Clair Wrote:Channing works as hard as anyone on Breathitts team and saying he is out of shape is ludacris. I see Channing playing on the defensive side of the ball. He has the size and the speed to be a good college LB.

You see him being a good sec linebacker? Man, I don't know about that. What is his size and speed? An sec linebacker is usually quite big and very fast. I just think that's too much to ask of him.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010OLB.php
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010ILB.php

Here are a couple links showing the top NFL prospects at linebacker in the 2010 draft. Now before anyone says differently I am not saying Fugate will be an NFL player or that he is gonna be on these guys level. What I am saying is that his size, 6'3" 235, and his speed, 4.6, compare favorably with these current college stars. The fact is that he has the size and athletic ability to play several different positions in college. Right now Tennessee is saying fullback and we have no reason to doubt them. Don't let the numbers he has put up this season fool you. When he had a decent line last year he put up the third highest rushing total in state history. This kid is a legitimate SEC talent. By the way here is the fullback list of prospects for the 2010 draft.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010FB.php
Pages: 1 2 3