Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2023 North Laurel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well, North Laurel community has had this year circled for a while and this may be one of the best years in programs history. North will bring back a majority of there team from a year ago. I got the oppurtunity to talk to Coach Chappell in person the other day and he is excited for this year. I am a Chappell Fan so he made a good impression on my boy when he coached at Corbin so I can't help but return the favor as a fan. I have some friends kids who play on the team and I am a big fan of those boys. North Laurel finished the season at 6-6 but played early like a team that could go 12-0. I look for North to no doubt mix it up with the scheduling as I am hearing some new schools are on the schedule for 2023. Also hearing North may be getting some local talent as well, but only rumors at this point and if it comes to pass, all I can say is whoa nelly....... Smile  I look for big things out of North this year.
Any word on who the new DC will be ????
???
Will this group even win their district this year?
Any north fans on here who know who the new DC will be ?
Who’s the new teams?
I didn’t ask Chappell who the DC would be when I talked to him.
(01-12-2023, 08:29 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]Will this group even win their district this year?

They are more than likely still in the district with Southwestern so I will say no. I expect Southwestern to win their 5th in a row. North may have a chance at the 2 spot though with Pulaski losing most of their good players.
(01-13-2023, 12:00 PM)Football fan 1993 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-12-2023, 08:29 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]Will this group even win their district this year?

They are more than likely still in the district with Southwestern so I will say no. I expect Southwestern to win their 5th in a row. North may have a chance at the 2 spot though with Pulaski losing most of their good players.

Gonna be tough year for North in my opinion..When you lose your Defensive Coordinator and graduate five starters on defensive side of the ball ( 2-DB’s, 1-MLB, 1-Nose Guard, 1-Defensive End) you gotta know it’s gonna be uphill..North offense still looks pretty intact except losing Senior O-Lineman and incoming Senior O-Lineman to a move I’m hearing. If North picks up a couple good DB’s they can still be #2 team in 13th Region behind Corbin. If Corbin goes away from easy regular season schedule and North backs down the schedule they had last year then North could be #1 in 13th Region next season. Either way Corbin and North will be top two teams in the 13th Region next season..
(01-13-2023, 10:55 AM)Strikeout King Wrote: [ -> ]Who’s the new teams?

I think I can safely say Franklin County and Madison Central and hearing Taylor Count as well.
Southwestern will be good and they have plenty of talent but don’t overlook what the departure of Hibbard, Mink, Wright, Myers with the rest of that senior class will hurt them some.

The current junior class is really nice but they lost much more than people realize.

North could very well be the team to beat.
(02-07-2023, 03:35 AM)GreyStoke Wrote: [ -> ]Southwestern will be good and they have plenty of talent but don’t overlook what the departure of Hibbard, Mink, Wright, Myers with the rest of that senior class will hurt them some.

The current junior class is really nice but they lost much more than people realize.

That game is at Southwestern this year. Both teams knows what’s at stake.
(02-07-2023, 03:35 AM)GreyStoke Wrote: [ -> ]Southwestern will be good and they have plenty of talent but don’t overlook what the departure of Hibbard, Mink, Wright, Myers with the rest of that senior class will hurt them some.

North can't finish over third in their district.
(02-07-2023, 10:22 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]

They can. They just have to take care of Pulaski and Southwestern.
(02-07-2023, 05:22 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]

I look for North Laurel to win District this season, Southwestern lost a bunch and so did Pulaski. North Laurel should win out this season in district, it’ll be tough but Chappell has the horses to get it done. This is exactly why I think we should play North Laurel this year. Corbins 2024 class vs North Laurels 2024 class ( Corbin 2024 class State Runner up 8th Grade Division 2 ), North Laurel Class of 2024 State Champions in big Division 1 ).  Has anyone seen Corbins schedule yet or North Laurels schedule? Looks like they gonna be last two programs to announce schedules.

I just do not see North beating SW or PC. I know that they were in it with SW during the regular season last year. SW and PC both reload and have the it factor when it comes to finding ways to win. I do think that there is too much emphasis put on a middle school state championship. I am not trying to diminish that accomplishment but they does not predict success at the high school level. There are just too many factors, like development by coaches, puberty and sometimes those that are great in pee wee and middle school peak early and aren't as great when everyone else catches up to them physically.
(02-10-2023, 12:39 PM)LameDawg Wrote: [ -> ]

I just do not see North beating SW or PC. I know that they were in it with SW during the regular season last year. SW and PC both reload and have the it factor when it comes to finding ways to win. I do think that there is too much emphasis put on a middle school state championship. I am not trying to diminish that accomplishment but they does not predict success at the high school level. There are just too many factors, like development by coaches, puberty and sometimes those that are great in pee wee and middle school peak early and aren't as great when everyone else catches up to them physically.

Bingo. Middle school state championships don't have jack $hit to do with high school state championships. Ask Pulaski County. Ask Corbin. They're typically won off of who has the most holdbacks, then when you get to high school everyone catches up.
(02-10-2023, 04:00 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-10-2023, 12:39 PM)LameDawg Wrote: [ -> ]

Bingo. Middle school state championships don't have jack $hit to do with high school state championships. Ask Pulaski County. Ask Corbin. They're typically won off of who has the most holdbacks, then when you get to high school everyone catches up.
I’m fairly certain North 8th grade 2019 won Division 1 State Championship while Corbin was State Runner up in Division 2. Both these classes are gonna be seniors this year. I don’t put a lot of stock in middle school state championships either but it does gage the competition. I think Corbin and North are the two top teams in 13th Region.
I really like Coach Chappel and I really dislike Dudley Hilton but until North Laurel actually beats Bell Co they can’t be considered the better team Imo. Some where touting them as the top team in the 13th last year even as they where dropping district games…
(03-01-2023, 05:14 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]I really like Coach Chappel and I really dislike Dudley Hilton but until North Laurel actually beats Bell Co they can’t be considered the better team Imo.  Some where touting them as the top team in the 13th last year even as they where dropping district games…
2021 North Laurel beat Bell County 30-22, this season at Log Mountain North lost 43-35. However, after talking to numerous people that attended that game to include A few Bobcat fans. It was said North had five defensive starters out and had an hour and 45 minute lightening delay. I was told by more than a few people that North had that game took from them on Log Mountain. Either way North has beat Bell and almost beat them again this season. Almost don’t get it done I’m aware as my Hounds almost beat Boyle for State Championship. I don’t dislike Dudley as he plays to win at all cost and that old man has hurt my feelings alot over the years but gotta give him credit as he only runs 8 plays but damn if he don’t keep his Oline ready to play. Last season Corbin had best Oline in 13th Region, Bell County had 2nd best Oline in 13th Region. This season from all rumors from coaches around the Region, it appears North Laurel SHOULD have best Oline as I heard yesterday North Picked up Knox Central stud Olineman Messer to go with several returning starters for North. This should be Coach Chappell’s best season to date with the talent he has returning . Corbin should be very good as I also heard a RB transferred in from Somerset. Bell County will be good but if Partin stays at Knox Central then I look for KC to make a strong run at the district this year. The three top QB’s returning is Kade Elam (Corbin) Tate Rice ( Clay County) Cayden Grigsby (Middlesboro) Three top Runningbacks returning is Daniel Thomas (Bell County), Steve Partin ( Knox Central) Ethan Gregory ( North Laurel). Three top Receivers returning is Carter Stewart ( Corbin ), Tyson Wagers ( Clay County ) Zach Saylor ( Clay County), Three top returning lineman Franklin West (Corbin), Andrew Roberts ( North Laurel) Gabe Claybrook ( North Laurel), Three top Linebackers Austin Johnson ( North Laurel ), TreShawn Evans ( North Laurel ), Evan Baker ( Corbin ), Three best DB’s Zander Curry (Corbin), Carter Stewart ( Corbin ), Joe Wes Lester ( Corbin ), Three best kickers returning Ryan Steely ( Whitley ), Collier Mills ( North Laurel ), Aden Cima ( Corbin), Three top returning Head Coaches Dudley Hilton (Bell), Jerry Herron ( Williamsburg ), Jason Chappell ( North Laurel ), Top Equipment Manager David Hannah ( Corbin ), Best Athletic Trainer Jordan Marcum ( North Laurel), Best Athletic Director Tackett Wilson ( Corbin ), Best Bus driver to drive your student athletes to games Ronnie Smith ( Corbin ), Best Booster Club President David Oliver ( North Laurel ), Best in Cheerleading returning knox Central, Corbin, North Laurel, Most Fans attending games ( Corbin and it isn’t even close), Top three 13th Region teams in 2023-1. Corbin, 2.North Laurel, 3. Bell County..
North Laurel is loaded. Now that don’t equate to automatic wins but they will sure have there chances. I haven’t heard anything about their defensive coordinator hire. But defensively will be one area that I’m curious to see how they look this year. I personally would play some of those huge linemen on both sides of the ball like Boyle County does. I’m a Chappell fan and can’t wait to see a few of the seniors being Roberts and Gregory play this year. I think North Laurel will start the season ranked inside the top 10 in 5A. If they can win those district games then they will have a deep playoff run.
I don’t follow things as closely as some but I do know the North win over Bell in 2021 was in overtime so…. I wish Coach Chappel the best of luck and he may get it at home vs Bell this year….I just know NL lost to Pulaski Co again and Corbin beat Pulaski Co again in 2022. Since it seems Corbin and North aren’t playing ( for whatever reason) and Corbin’s past record…We are the top team in the 13th and or until N/L beats Bell Co again they’re in 3rd… I’m partial to my picks but willing to reconsider if someone can argue the point….Such as N/L beating Bell / and or Corbin…Someone may want to explain to N/lL there’s another sport besides basketball before they try and o seriously compete though, just sayin…
(03-02-2023, 11:07 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t follow things as closely as some but I do know the North win over Bell in 2021 was in overtime so…. I wish Coach Chappel the best of luck and he may get it at home vs Bell this year….I just know NL lost to Pulaski Co again and Corbin beat Pulaski Co again in 2022.  Since it seems Corbin and North aren’t playing ( for whatever reason) and Corbin’s past record…We are the top team in the 13th and or until N/L beats Bell Co again they’re in 3rd… I’m partial to my picks but willing to reconsider if someone can argue the point….Such as N/L beating  Bell / and or Corbin…Someone may want to explain to N/lL there’s another sport besides basketball before they try and o seriously compete though, just sayin…

I agree, Corbin is the top dog in the 13th region and it’s not even close. To be the man you have to beat the man…and nobody is beating Corbin from this region this past year or next. Also, Corbin would have put a running clock on North Laurel last season. 

I put nobody in 2nd place because Corbin is that far ahead.

#3 I have North Laurel in the spot ahead of Bell Co because I think they will be much improved over last year but still 2nd place at best in their district.

#4 I have a toss up of Bell/Clay/Knox. All 3 return a large bulk of their team and I’m not ready to crown Bell yet considering them and clay both fell to Knox last year.
Why is Corbin so obsessed with being the best team in their basketball region??
(03-03-2023, 12:16 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Why is Corbin so obsessed with being the best team in their basketball region??

You must not be from the 13th region area or you are just trolling Corbin, I can’t tell. Assuming you aren’t from the area, I can tell you it has nothing to do with Corbin being obsessed with anything. It is how people from the 13th region area identify schools from our part of the mountains and it has been that way for decades. There are also now 13th region media network Facebook pages for boys/girls basketball, baseball/softball and football with thousands of followers on each page.
Question for someone from North Laurel, how many of the players that were on the MS state Champ Team, are still playing at North Laurel now. Dont need names, just a head count. Thanks.
I wonder if Chadwell is gonna play football for North Laurel?
Bump
(03-03-2023, 05:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]Question for someone from North Laurel, how many of the players that were on the MS state Champ Team, are still playing at North Laurel now. Dont need names, just a head count. Thanks.

12 or 13 of them
Plus some transfers that any team would want.
Pages: 1 2 3 4