Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Public Vs Private schools Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With the state semi finals approaching ...
We have ncc ....holy cross ( Louisville)
Lexington Christian and Cal as the remaining private schools do you see this as just a down year for privates or is this a trend how things could change 

Usually we see school such as lex Cath and Christian , Trinity and X and Cov Cath always be amazing at football but with public schools such as Mayfield, Douglass ,Boyle County and Male and Beechwood and Pikeville showing year in and out I guess the question is private really as Dominant as it was
Pikeville is independent
(11-19-2022, 09:57 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville is independent
What does that mean as far as public vs private?
(11-19-2022, 09:59 AM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]

If you live within their district you can go there for free. If you live outside their district boundaries you pay tuition. And they can waitlist students from coming to school there from out of district. They don’t have to accept just anyone that wants to come to Pikeville.
(11-19-2022, 10:02 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 09:59 AM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]

If you live within their district you can go there for free. If you live outside their district boundaries you pay tuition. And they can waitlist students from coming to school there from out of district. They don’t have to accept just anyone that wants to come to Pikeville.
That is not unique to independent schools. If you live in a county school district you go there for free. If you live outside the boundaries of the county school you can pay tuition to go there just like independent. County school does not have to accept every out of district student. The tuition is just the difference in money the out of district school does not get from the state.
This is how I understand it to be.

He put Pikeville in the public list.
The annual public vs. private debate. It's the same moronic arguments every year. Who cares It's high school football. Both public and private schools can only put 11 players on the field. I'm pretty sure the players are not asking their coach if their opponent is public or private school. I didn't care when I was in high school, I still don't care. It's football let the kids play without all this nonsense. Let's just sit back and enjoy the best game out there, high school football.
(11-19-2022, 10:18 AM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]

It is because independent schools are 100% public schools. All independent means is that the school only services a city limit type area as opposed to an entire county. There are lots of “independent” schools out there in KY including Pikeville, Hazard, Middlesboro, Harlan, Pineville, Somerset, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bowling Green, Berea, Ashland, Raceland, Williamsburg, Corbin and more.

I’m honestly not sure why people on here try to say it as some sort of slight or like some crazy advantage that Pikeville holds that nobody else has. It is very common type of public school in KY.
(11-19-2022, 10:37 AM)fansville Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 10:18 AM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]

It is because independent schools are 100% public schools. All independent means is that the school only services a city limit type area as opposed to an entire county. There are lots of “independent” schools out there in KY including Pikeville, Hazard, Middlesboro, Harlan, Pineville, Somerset, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bowling Green, Berea, Ashland, Raceland, Williamsburg and more.

I’m honestly not sure why people on here try to say it as some sort of slight or like some crazy advantage that Pikeville holds that nobody else has. It is very common type of public school in KY.

I graduated from an independent school. I  don’t understand the argument that independent schools have advantages either.
Kentucky doesn’t have the type of population to support private schools across the state. They are a factor in the major cities of the state. But most of the state is compromised of rural middle class communities. People, too often, accept whatever is offered in terms of academics and athletics.

In Louisiana, many of the people scratch and save and do whatever it takes to give their kids a private school education.

The argument is moronic in KY; I agree. Simply because KHSAA doesn’t enforce its rules or punish those that break them. So, any school that wants to can recruit at will. We should just accept it; the deck is stacked with corruption. We have an avenue in America to oust criminals and authoritative minded people, but we so seldom use it.
Every school district in the state has always legally had the right to open enrollment. (They just chose not to) Last June the new law in Kentucky made it easy to not charge tuition anymore too. The seek money follows the student, not the district.
People should NOT have to pay twice for their kids’ education. I wish folks would get more involved and demand a highly rigorous challenging school setting be provided for their kids. If not, pull the money!!!
(11-19-2022, 11:09 AM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Kentucky doesn’t have the type of population to support private schools across the state.  They are a factor in the major cities of the state.  But most of the state is compromised of rural middle class communities.  People, too often, accept whatever is offered in terms of academics and athletics.

In Louisiana, many of the people scratch and save and do whatever it takes to give their kids a private school education.

The argument is moronic in KY; I agree.  Simply because KHSAA doesn’t enforce its rules or punish those that break them.  So, any school that wants to can recruit at will.  We should just accept it; the deck is stacked with corruption.  We have an avenue in America to oust criminals and authoritative minded people, but we so seldom use it
Not that it matters, but curious to know how many members on the KHSAA board of control have kids in private vs. public Schools. I understand that each team can only put 11 players on the field at a time. But we should all play by the same rules. If private can openly recruit then public should be able to as well. Fair is fair . 1 set of rules for everyone. I’m so tired of hearing “there private so they can recruit “.This will never change tho been going on since long as I can remember…. Tackett is a puppet and is in it solely for $$$$$$$. Billbury is a joke and corrupt as they come. Until we get most of these private school parents off the board of control at KHSAA nothing will ever change. Go public ….
I get tired of hearing all of the complaints about private schools. Parents who send their kids to private schools pay property taxes that support public schools without getting any of the benefits. The bottom line is that parents of private school parents help finance the education of their neighbors' children.

As for recruiting, it is obvious that recruiting in public schools is widespread to anybody who is paying any attention. I am 100 percent in favor of parents being able to send their children to the school of their choice, for whatever reasons they want - but the transfer rules should be eliminated first. Smart coaches who currently cheat under those rules have parents and players do their recruiting. When certain schools fill roster needs with experienced, talented transfers, most of the time it is not a result of a fortunate coincidence.

I have much more respect for sports programs that develop talent from within their district, or in the case of private schools, from within their neighborhood, but programs with poor coaching staffs are not going to be successful at recruiting anyway.

Indiana has some great private schools, including Indianapolis Cathedral, Bishop Chatard, and Roncalli, but I never heard the kind of whining that I hear from some Kentuckians about how unfair it was that their public schools have to compete with private schools and Indiana's public schools hold their own against the private schools in the state.

Kentucky has too few private schools to compete in a single class of their own and that is an absolutely stupid idea that does not make any more sense through repetition. The question people should be asking is why there are so many really bad public school football teams in the state and what can be done to improve those programs.
Hoot- I agree with you partially. I LOVE LIBERTY! People should be allowed to send their kids wherever they want.

But as long as there are rules (we all know they aren’t enforced) that make it illegal and professionally unethical….guys that care about their teaching jobs and feeding their families may not be willing to break them.

SOOOO- as long as the “fake rules” exist- it a WONDERFUL idea to put the privates in their own class. Rules for thee and rules for me- it sucks in government and it sucks in amateur athletics.

But- you are right; people shouldn’t have to pay twice for education. Remove the bureaucracy and stop supporting bad schools. Give people back THEIR OWN MONEY to spend at the school of their choice.
(11-19-2022, 12:52 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Hoot- I agree with you partially.  I LOVE LIBERTY!  People should be allowed to send their kids wherever they want. 

But as long as there are rules (we all know they aren’t enforced) that make it illegal and professionally unethical….guys that care about their teaching jobs and feeding their families may not be willing to break them.

SOOOO- as long as the “fake rules” exist- it a WONDERFUL idea to put the privates in their own class.  Rules for thee and rules for me- it sucks in government and it sucks in amateur athletics.

But- you are right; people shouldn’t have to pay twice for education.  Remove the bureaucracy and stop supporting bad schools.  Give people back THEIR OWN MONEY to spend at the school of their choice.
I agree with you on everything except making private schools compete in their won class. There would be no point in that at all. Maybe once every decade or two a school the size of Covington Catholic would have a shot at winning such a class over Saint X and Trinity, but making Lexington Christian Academy, Christian Academy of Louisville, Kentucky County Day, etc., compete against the large 6A schools in football would putting boys at risk of serious injury with no chance of winning. I don't understand why anybody thinks that would be a good idea.

Besides, banning private schools from competing for titles in Kentucky would probably result in them playing stronger out-of-state teams and attracting even more athletes from public schools. That proposal would guarantee that a public school would win every class but it would also further weaken the competitiveness of Kentucky's public school teams. Kentucky is not a strong football state and it never will be if public schools raise the white flag and refuse to compete against some of the state's strongest teams.
You are afraid for the “safety” of kids from small schools playing larger schools???? Don’t you adamantly support continuing the four seed getting into the playoffs? To me those games are more of a safety risk than anything else we do in KY football.

For 90% or more of kids that play football in KY; it isn’t about the next level. They are done in 12th grade. A few will go on to play for the small-“pay to play” private colleges; and fewer still to scholarship schools.

Mules don’t run in the Ky Derby and Thoroughbreds don’t win log pulling championships. Make the rules streamlined and fair and let the biggest and strongest and fastest win. That’s the American Way!!!!
(11-19-2022, 09:36 AM)Advicegiver74 Wrote: [ -> ]With the state semi finals approaching ...
We have ncc ....holy cross ( Louisville)
Lexington Christian and Cal as the remaining private schools do you see this as just a down year for privates or is this a trend how things could change 

Usually we see school such as lex Cath and Christian , Trinity and X and Cov Cath always be amazing at football but with public schools such as Mayfield, Douglass ,Boyle County and Male and Beechwood and Pikeville showing year in and out I guess the question is private really as Dominant as it was
Some of those schools recruit just as much as the "privates". I don't know there's much of a difference anymore if you're even in a town with not a lot of tradition and yet you offer or make a parent a gravy job to get their kid to come play for you. I think pretty much everything is fair game now. Just like if someone says, "that team is on steroids" or something...hey, everyone has the opportunity to do this or that. I wish we could recruit or would care enough to make up jobs and/or find ways to get athletes to join up with our home grown talent.
It's not always a school or coach recruiting. Could be that the players and their parents are wanting to be a part of a winning program. After all they are the ones that have to make the sacrifice and life change. If a player shows up knocking on the front door of the school, most all would welcome them with open arms. Not all the time but most of the time it's the player and their parents that are wanting a change.
(11-19-2022, 03:15 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not always a school or coach recruiting.  Could be that the players and their parents are wanting to be a part of a winning program.  After all they are the ones that have to make the sacrifice and life change.  If a player shows up knocking on the front door of the school,  most all would welcome them with open arms.    Not all the time but most of the time it's the player and their parents that are wanting a change.

I think a lot of the time it is parents.  I know for a fact of some instances where parents made a decision to move their kid and then influenced others to do it.  Happened at Raceland and Johnson Central for starters.
(11-19-2022, 01:27 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 12:52 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Hoot- I agree with you partially.  I LOVE LIBERTY!  People should be allowed to send their kids wherever they want. 

SOOOO- as long as the “fake rules” exist- it a WONDERFUL idea to put the privates in their own class.  Rules for thee and rules for me- it sucks in government and it sucks in amateur athletics.

But- you are right; people shouldn’t have to pay twice for education.  Remove the bureaucracy and stop supporting bad schools.  Give people back THEIR OWN MONEY to spend at the school of their choice.
I agree with you on everything except making private schools compete in their won class. There would be no point in that at all. Maybe once every decade or two a school the size of Covington Catholic would have a shot at winning such a class over Saint X and Trinity, but making Lexington Christian Academy, Christian Academy of Louisville, Kentucky County Day, etc., compete against the large 6A schools in football would putting boys at risk of serious injury with no chance of winning. I don't understand why anybody thinks that would be a good idea.

Besides, banning private schools from competing for titles in Kentucky would probably result in them playing stronger out-of-state teams and attracting even more athletes from public schools. That proposal would guarantee that a public school would win every class but it would also further weaken the competitiveness of Kentucky's public school teams. Kentucky is not a strong football state and it never will be if public schools raise the white flag and refuse to compete against some of the state's strongest teams.
The Class system in KY makes no sense anyway.  You have 6 classes in football, 3 in track and XC, and no classes in everything else.  The classes should be the same across the board in all sports.
(11-19-2022, 03:15 PM)Rebel55 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not always a school or coach recruiting.  Could be that the players and their parents are wanting to be a part of a winning program.  After all they are the ones that have to make the sacrifice and life change.  If a player shows up knocking on the front door of the school,  most all would welcome them with open arms.    Not all the time but most of the time it's the player and their parents that are wanting a change.
Parents mostly. Most kids want to stay around their friends they grew up with. I've saw kids yanked to other schools who were not thrilled, and a few have came back after being alienated or finding "just as many problems" at the new school. In some cases a kid may be driven as an athlete first and foremost and may decide one path is to a D1 offer and possible pro opportunity. In reality most kids who are D1 are D1 no matter where they play. Football or any sports, any student is about memories with friends, girlfriends, etc.. The parents are who have to feel their kid is king/queen. But whatever, I'll take all the D1 kids who want to transfer and get their parents a career at one of our local gas stations.
(11-19-2022, 01:57 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]You are afraid for the “safety” of kids from small schools playing larger schools????  Don’t you adamantly support continuing the four seed getting into the playoffs?  To me those games are more of a safety risk than anything else we do in KY football.

For 90% or more of kids that play football in KY; it isn’t about the next level.  They are done in 12th grade.  A few will go on to play for the small-“pay to play” private colleges; and fewer still to scholarship schools.

Mules don’t run in the Ky Derby and Thoroughbreds don’t win log pulling championships.  Make the rules streamlined and fair and let the biggest and strongest and fastest win.  That’s the American Way!!!!
We are not going to agree. I don't believe in treating parents and players like second-class citizens because they choose to attend private schools - and to punish schools for having good football programs. Aside from St. X and Trinity, private schools in Kentucky have not exactly dominated their classes and some of the smaller private school programs have struggled to field competitive teams.

The real problem is that there are way too many public schools in Kentucky that have weak football programs and banning private schools from competing for state titles will not help those public schools with weak teams win any trophies.
I agree. Parents who place sports over academics will go to great lengths to put their kids into schools where they can excel at sports, or at least be part of a winning team - and when a school has strong academic programs as well, then it makes the decision even easier. Academics is another area where private schools often have an advantage, but many private schools are too small to compete in a full slate of competitive sports. There are schools that recruit and there are schools that don't and don't need to recruit to be competitive.
I don’t believe in treating anyone like a second class citizen; what the…….!

I’m an American who believes in freedom and success and happiness for all.
(11-19-2022, 09:48 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t believe in treating anyone like a second class citizen; what the…….!

Forcing every athlete who attends a private school to compete in a single class, regardless of their schools' enrollment numbers would not be treating them as equals. How would you like it if your son's school had 200 students enrolled and had to play St. X in the playoffs?
(11-19-2022, 10:50 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 09:48 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t believe in treating anyone like a second class citizen; what the…….!

Forcing every athlete who attends a private school to compete in a single class, regardless of their schools' enrollment numbers would not be treating them as equals. How would you like it if your son's school had 200 students enrolled and had to play St. X in the playoffs?
But they they chose to send their kid to that school. So, they would be treated exactly as equals, because all the students at all those schools chose to go there, for whatever reason.

I am not arguing for or against, I just do not think the treating them as equals has any merit.

And yes, there is debate in Indiana about the privates vs public.
(11-20-2022, 11:10 AM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]

But they they chose to send their kid to that school. So, they would be treated exactly as equals, because all the students at all those schools chose to go there, for whatever reason.

I am not arguing for or against, I just do not think the treating them as equals has any merit.

Wrong. Currently, for example, there are around 600 children attending Sayre from pre-school through 12th grade. Forcing Sayre to compete in a single private school class with Trinity and St. X would affect the students and parents that have already chosen the school. Even if such an idiotic rule were to apply only to future students, those students would not be treated as equals because students in the same sized public schools would be playing against teams from similar sized schools. That is not treating students from private and public schools as equals, it is discriminating against private schools for no good reason.

As I have said repeatedly, the real problem exists in Kentucky's public school football programs that are for the most part, very weak. It is much easier to tear successful schools down than it is to improve failing schools. There are plenty of people in every state who hate private schools or hate Christians or hate Catholics and want toi force kids to attend their neighborhood public schools and athletic programs. But large public schools have dominated Indiana 6A football, with the recent exception of Cathedral, for decades. Teacher unions and the politicians that they own would love to use taxpayer funds to persecute private schools into oblivion through legislation.
(11-20-2022, 12:44 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]

Wrong. Currently, for example, there are around 600 children attending Sayre from pre-school through 12th grade. Forcing Sayre to compete in a single private school class with Trinity and St. X would affect the students and parents that have already chosen the school. Even if such an idiotic rule were to apply only to future students, those students would not be treated as equals because students in the same sized public schools would be playing against teams from similar sized schools. That is not treating students from private and public schools as equals, it is discriminating against private schools for no good reason.

As I have said repeatedly, the real problem exists in Kentucky's public school football programs that are for the most part, very weak. It is much easier to tear successful schools down than it is to improve failing schools. There are plenty of people in every state who hate private schools or hate Christians or hate Catholics and want toi force kids to attend their neighborhood public schools and athletic programs. But large public schools have dominated Indiana 6A football, with the recent exception of Cathedral, for decades. Teacher unions and the politicians that they own would love to use taxpayer funds to persecute private schools into oblivion through legislation.
^I did not mean to imply that Catholics are not Christians in my post above. I was making the distinction because there are still people who consider themselves Christians who are prejudiced against certain other denominations, including Catholicism and Catholic private schools are popular across the nation and many of the top football programs in the country are those in Catholic schools.
(11-20-2022, 12:44 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]

Let's play the discrimination game.....one can/does discriminate when it comes to who enrolls....one cannot....
Pages: 1 2 3