Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Public Vs Private schools Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Iggyfan

Need-based scholarships are a huge problem for public schools. A few privates are now able to provide way more than the KHSAA capped scholarship amount.

Please tell me more about these scholarships that private schools can offer. I sent 3 boys to catholic schools for grades K-12 and I can tell you I was never approached about such an opportunity.  Private schools offer financial aid based upon need but the level of assistance is determined by a 3rd party and is limited to a maximum of 20%/ year, but the maximum generally requires multiple children in HS and / or college. The money available helps ease the pain, but sending a child to a private school remains very expensive.

I've been told by a number of families that they chose X over T and the top JCPS schools because X asked for tax records and could provide need-based scholarships to families. I'm not sure if that is in addition to the 1/4 KHSAA rule. Not sure how I feel about this. Other states have the voucher system in place to subsidize private tuition... If this is going to be the case, then KHSAA should drop to 4 public classes and 1 private class. It's my understanding the people wanted more classes to get away from the traditional powers. Those privates that choose to stay small are doing so by choice and athletics is NOT their focus. I respect that.
I just wish everyone would play in what school district they live and see who the best team is. Most kids are just running away from a challenge. Instead of playing with the kids they grew up with and trying to make that team great they would rather join a team that is already good. Until the Khsaa tightens up on this cheating there will never be a level playing field for certain teams.
Since there was only one private school to win a championship does that mean we can put this debate to bed?????
(11-19-2022, 03:46 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]The Class system in KY makes no sense anyway.  You have 6 classes in football, 3 in track and XC, and no classes in everything else.  The classes should be the same across the board in all sports.

This times 57 billion!!!

(11-19-2022, 10:50 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 09:48 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t believe in treating anyone like a second class citizen; what the…….!

I’m an American who believes in freedom and success and happiness for all.
Forcing every athlete who attends a private school to compete in a single class, regardless of their schools' enrollment numbers would not be treating them as equals. How would you like it if your son's school had 200 students enrolled and had to play St. X in the playoffs?

I'm not sure how the how equality belongs in this conversation. Parents send their children to private schools to gain an advantage therefore offsetting the equality of public schools. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it seems to be the wrong way to approach this topic.

(11-26-2022, 12:41 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]Independent Schools: Pikeville, Raceland, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bardstown, Corbin and Bowling Green all made the finals.  The Independents took 7 of the 12 spots in the finals this season.  And it is really 7 out of 10 as, I don't believe that there are any Independent Schools in 6A are there?

This is an interesting statistic if it means anything or not.
I didn't read through all the posts to see if it's been mentioned, but the advantage that independent public schools generally have over non-independent public schools is the fact that independent public school districts fairly consistently allow for out-of-district students to attend their school by paying tuition, whereas most non-independent public school districts prohibit out-of-district students from attending their schools.

Beechwood, Belfry and Bowling Green are prime examples. Beechwood has kids from entirely different counties playing football for them, like 2020 Mr. Football winner Cam Hergott, who lived in Fort Thomas. Belfry has kids from all over Pike County. Bowling Green has kids from all over Warren County. I think Mayfield does the same in Graves County.

It's really not an advantage, per se, it's just the fact that non-independent public schools generally opt to "reduce administrative hassle" by prohibiting tuition students and saving themselves from having to deal with all the paperwork headache with the state.

There were 7 independent public schools in the football state finals this year: Pikeville, Raceland, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bardstown, Corbin and Bowling Green. There were 4 non-independent public schools in the football state finals: Bullitt East, Male, Boyle County, and Frederick Douglass. Then CAL was the lone independent school in the state finals.

If you look back at ALL football state champions in KHSAA history, Independent public schools have more state championships than the non-independent public schools and private schools combined.
(12-06-2022, 05:38 AM)TheOracle Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't read through all the posts to see if it's been mentioned, but the advantage that independent public schools generally have over non-independent public schools is the fact that independent public school districts fairly consistently allow for out-of-district students to attend their school by paying tuition, whereas most non-independent public school districts prohibit out-of-district students from attending their schools.

Beechwood, Belfry and Bowling Green are prime examples. Beechwood has kids from entirely different counties playing football for them, like 2020 Mr. Football winner Cam Hergott, who lived in Fort Thomas. Belfry has kids from all over Pike County. Bowling Green has kids from all over Warren County. I think Mayfield does the same in Graves County.

It's really not an advantage, per se, it's just the fact that non-independent public schools generally opt to "reduce administrative hassle" by prohibiting tuition students and saving themselves from having to deal with all the paperwork headache with the state.

There were 7 independent public schools in the football state finals this year: Pikeville, Raceland, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bardstown, Corbin and Bowling Green. There were 4 non-independent public schools in the football state finals: Bullitt East, Male, Boyle County, and Frederick Douglass. Then CAL was the lone independent school in the state finals.

If you look back at ALL football state champions in KHSAA history, Independent public schools have more state championships than the non-independent public schools and private schools combined.

Pretty certain Belfry is part of the Pike County School District. I think Pikeville is the only independent school in Pike County.
Well then would the perceived independent school advantage be a moot point now that kids are able to attend any public school they want without worrying about tuition or their home address? Assuming I’m correct in understanding how the new law works after this past July 1st

Also I wonder if the real independent school advantage comes in the form of higher average family incomes and more available resources than their neighboring county schools. Also does this socioeconomic advantage correlate with a higher percentage of parent involvement that leads to a higher percentage of success?
There is no independent school advantage. More independent schools win state championships in 1A and 2A because that's where most of them are. The county schools are mostly in 3A-5A which also has a more even distribution of county v. independent v. private schools, and thus more parity. Then as we know, private schools dominate 6A. It's not any sort of advantage, it's just statistically more likely that independent schools would have a lot of state championships because they make up a lot of the bottom two classes.
(12-06-2022, 05:38 AM)TheOracle Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't read through all the posts to see if it's been mentioned, but the advantage that independent public schools generally have over non-independent public schools is the fact that independent public school districts fairly consistently allow for out-of-district students to attend their school by paying tuition, whereas most non-independent public school districts prohibit out-of-district students from attending their schools.

.....also Douglas has an advantage that most schools do not, they have a whole other school on there campus CGW- plus most high schools in Lexington are magnet schools meaning if you are interested in Aerospace for example you can live anywhere in Lexington and apply to go to Douglas which most do. I used to live in a neighborhood in Fayette County that is in Dunbar and Bryan Stations district, but there would be a bus a street over that would pick up kids and take them to Douglas because of those programs. Not mad at Douglas at all and if I had a son, he would probably be going to Douglas also, but that is a huge advantage that most people outside of Lexington have no idea about.
(12-06-2022, 10:36 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]

Pretty certain Belfry is part of the Pike County School District. I think Pikeville is the only independent school in Pike County.
That's right, that's right. Belfry is part of Pike County Schools...Pikeville is the one that's independent.

I'm curious to know whether or not Pike County Schools have open enrollment throughout the county to where anyone within the county school system can attend whichever county school they want, like in Kenton County), or if Pike County Schools may well be one of the few, or possibly the only non-independent public school system to allow for tuition students.

(12-06-2022, 12:21 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: [ -> ]

.....also Douglas has an advantage that most schools do not, they have a whole other school on there campus CGW- plus most high schools in Lexington are magnet schools meaning if you are interested in Aerospace for example you can live anywhere in Lexington and apply to go to Douglas which most do. I used to live in a neighborhood in Fayette County that is in Dunbar and Bryan Stations district, but there would be a bus a street over that would pick up kids and take them to Douglas because of those programs. Not mad at Douglas at all and if I had a son, he would probably be going to Douglas also, but that is a huge advantage that most people outside of Lexington have no idea about.

I would still love to see an official explanation from the KHSAA on how and why they permit two schools to operate their athletic programs as a single school as they do with Frederick Douglass and Carter G Woodson.
(12-05-2022, 07:37 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Since there was only one private school to win a championship does that mean we can put this debate to bed?????
I am wondering if the Super Senior debacle had anything to do with Catholic / Private Schools not having much of a presence at Kroger field this year. 

I can't imagine many families said "Hey, let's put college on hold AND pay an extra year of tuition so Johnny can play another year of HS football".  Not saying that is the reason, but MAYBE a contributing factor.
(12-07-2022, 01:40 AM)Iggyfan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2022, 07:37 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Since there was only one private school to win a championship does that mean we can put this debate to bed?????
I am wondering if the Super Senior debacle had anything to do with Catholic / Private Schools not having much of a presence at Kroger field this year. 

I can't imagine many families said "Hey, let's put college on hold AND pay an extra year of tuition so Johnny can play another year of HS football".  Not saying that is the reason, but MAYBE a contributing factor.

Honestly I think that impact is pretty minimal. I don't know of a single player who took the re-do year at a private school, so it's true that they didn't have talent sticking around, but I don't know of many programs who had more than a handful of sophomores/juniors/seniors who took advantage of the re-do year.

Off-hand, I know that Bullitt County Public Schools, Bowling Green Independent Schools, and Christian Academy Louisville all declined to participate in the re-do year program, so that's 1/4 of the state finalists who didn't have super seniors and 1/3 of the state champions who didn't have super seniors.
Pages: 1 2 3