Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Public Vs Private schools Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There have always been tiers to both public and private schools when it comes to football. Very small private schools have it much different than X and T. Then, open enrollment or independent publics have it much better than other publics. Nickel tax districts can gain a leg up due to that. With football needing money this is always going to be the case.
(11-20-2022, 08:04 PM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 12:44 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 11:10 AM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 10:50 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 09:48 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t believe in treating anyone like a second class citizen; what the…….!

I’m an American who believes in freedom and success and happiness for all.
Forcing every athlete who attends a private school to compete in a single class, regardless of their schools' enrollment numbers would not be treating them as equals. How would you like it if your son's school had 200 students enrolled and had to play St. X in the playoffs?
But they they chose to send their kid to that school. So, they would be treated exactly as equals, because all the students at all those schools chose to go there, for whatever reason.

I am not arguing for or against, I just do not think the treating them as equals has any merit.

And yes, there is debate in Indiana about the privates vs public.
Wrong. Currently, for example, there are around 600 children attending Sayre from pre-school through 12th grade. Forcing Sayre to compete in a single private school class with Trinity and St. X would affect the students and parents that have already chosen the school. Even if such an idiotic rule were to apply only to future students, those students would not be treated as equals because students in the same sized public schools would be playing against teams from similar sized schools. That is not treating students from private and public schools as equals, it is discriminating against private schools for no good reason.

As I have said repeatedly, the real problem exists in Kentucky's public school football programs that are for the most part, very weak. It is much easier to tear successful schools down than it is to improve failing schools. There are plenty of people in every state who hate private schools or hate Christians or hate Catholics and want toi force kids to attend their neighborhood public schools and athletic programs. But large public schools have dominated Indiana 6A football, with the recent exception of Cathedral, for decades. Teacher unions and the politicians that they own would love to use taxpayer funds to persecute private schools into oblivion through legislation.
Let's play the discrimination game.....one can/does discriminate when it comes to who enrolls....one cannot....
Suggesting that the rules should be changed to restrict all private schools to compete in a single district that would include some of the smallest 1A schools in the states to compete with two of the largest 6A teams in the state would definitely be discriminating against private schools and their football players. Parents of private school student athletes pay property taxes that support public schools, the same as every property owner in their public school district. To punish football players who play for private schools would be wrong.

If Kentucky had a larger population and more private schools having football teams, then having separate classes for public and private schools would be more defensible, but it is ridiculous to propose a single private school class for Kentucky. It is not going to happen - and if it did, my guess is that private schools would sue the state. What you are proposing makes no more sense than proposing that all high school football teams from schools east of I-75 play in a single class. You cannot discriminate against people with absolutely no justification.
Not disagreeing with hoot because I see his point. Some states have separate classes with private schools. I don’t think Ky has enough to do that. So then I think how many small private schools win titles. CAL, Lex Christian sometimes. I’m probably missing one, but not a whole lot. Now the lager privates do all the time. So give them a Choice. They can play in the single private league or they have to take a 1.5 or even 2.0 multiplier. 6A numbers in private don’t have a choice they have to go private league. That’s about as fair as you can make it for both sides. You take CAL, a good team in 3A with their numbers because they can recruit, take that same team and put them in 4A most years and see how they do. Same with Cov cath. Either play in 6A or go private. That’s the cost of recruitment. So you better make them count haha
(11-20-2022, 08:45 PM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]Not disagreeing with hoot because I see his point. Some states have separate classes with private schools. I don’t think Ky has enough to do that. So then I think how many small private schools win titles. CAL, Lex Christian sometimes. I’m probably missing one, but not a whole lot. Now the lager privates do all the time. So give them a Choice. They can play in the single private league or they have to take a 1.5 or even 2.0 multiplier. 6A numbers in private don’t have a choice they have to go private league. That’s about as fair as you can make it for both sides. You take CAL, a good team in 3A with their numbers because they can recruit, take that same team and put them in 4A most years and see how they do. Same with Cov cath. Either play in 6A or go private. That’s the cost of recruitment. So you better make them count haha
Do the rules allow private schools to actually directly recruiting athletes? I have a hard time believing that they do, but I don't care enough to look it up. Private schools depend on tuition and donations for operating expenses, so I see nothing wrong with them distributing brochures highlighting their academic and athletic programs or general advertising through newspaper ads, commercials on local radio and TV stations,  etc. - but I would be surprised if they are allowed to directly recruit players, such as the way that Ashland's basketball coach allegedly did.

I have heard many public schools highlight their programs during commercial breaks during football and basketball broadcasts but I don't see publicizing a school's facilities and program offerings to the general public as recruiting.
(11-20-2022, 09:00 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 08:45 PM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]Not disagreeing with hoot because I see his point. Some states have separate classes with private schools. I don’t think Ky has enough to do that. So then I think how many small private schools win titles. CAL, Lex Christian sometimes. I’m probably missing one, but not a whole lot. Now the lager privates do all the time. So give them a Choice. They can play in the single private league or they have to take a 1.5 or even 2.0 multiplier. 6A numbers in private don’t have a choice they have to go private league. That’s about as fair as you can make it for both sides. You take CAL, a good team in 3A with their numbers because they can recruit, take that same team and put them in 4A most years and see how they do. Same with Cov cath. Either play in 6A or go private. That’s the cost of recruitment. So you better make them count haha
Do the rules allow private schools to actually directly recruiting athletes? I have a hard time believing that they do, but I don't care enough to look it up. Private schools depend on tuition and donations for operating expenses, so I see nothing wrong with them distributing brochures highlighting their academic and athletic programs or general advertising through newspaper ads, commercials on local radio and TV stations,  etc. - but I would be surprised if they are allowed to directly recruit players, such as the way that Ashland's basketball coach allegedly did.

I have heard many public schools highlight their programs during commercial breaks during football and basketball broadcasts but I don't see publicizing a school's facilities and program offerings to the general public as recruiting.
I’m about like you, I don’t care enough to look up the bylaws, but we all know that they do. So the fairest Way I can think of is a multiplier
(11-20-2022, 09:05 PM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 09:00 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]

I’m about like you, I don’t care enough to look up the bylaws, but we all know that they do. So the fairest Way I can think of is a multiplier
We also know that many public schools recruit but schools that are involved rarely get caught or confess. I would do away with the transfer and most recruiting rules, which are rarely enforced - for both private and public schools. I don't think much would change. Good players would still gravitate to good programs and leave bad programs.
Recruiting takes place everywhere. Even at the worst schools when their coaches hope to get a place back on track. Let’s face it, boosters and fans all have friends and if there’s success, a kid will follow with the persuasion of others. So be it.

That stated, the private schools are at huge advantage because they don’t have to operate in the confines of a set school district. They can lure players by having open borders due to having to pay private school tuition. It’s an advantage, like it or not. To me, that’s the thing that needs to change for fairness. Don’t constrict public schools and have private schools with no boundaries.

I think all counties should allow their kids to go wherever they want within a county. Also a fair move in a couple large counties in KY.

Keep the private schools in the same class is fine. But open it up for public schools to be borderless too. What’s good for the goose…
Technically with the no border statue kids can go wherever they want now.
To me, especially with the smaller schools, its the smaller schools located in more populous counties that have the advantage because they have access to more talent; no matter if they are private or public.

As an example, my experience is in 2A District 2. 2A District 2 consists of four small, rural county schools - in which there are no other football playing high schools in the county - and one small private school located in the middle of one of KY's most populous cities. The four county schools are competitive every year with each other. If you track the historical head-to-head records they come close to 50-50 between each of these four schools. But none of these schools are consistently competitive with Owensboro Catholic. Now it could be any number of things that keeps OC more competitive than the other 4 schools in the district, but I don't think you can ignore the fact that they have access to far more athletes than any of the other 4 schools do. If you combine the populations of the other 4 counties (Butler, Todd, Hancock & McLean) you still don't even get 50% of the population of just the city of Owensboro. Probably the next closest high school to McLean would be Owensboro Apollo & that's a 30-minute drive away. You're not going to have someone from Apollo transfer to McLean to play football when there are 3 other high schools that are a 5-10 min drive away from their house.

Kentucky went to 6 classes in 2007. Since 2007 every single class 2A state champion has been a small school located in a more populous county. Over those 15 seasons, 9 different teams have won the 2A state championship & all but 2 of those came from counties that are ranked in the top 15 of the state for total population (Kenton, Pulaski, Jefferson, Campbell & Christian). The other two were from Graves County (#29 in population) and Boyle County (#33 in population). And even those two are FAR more populous than some of your more rural 2A schools like the 4 already mentioned or Metcalfe, Green, Edmonson, Clinton, etc...Looking at just this year alone only 2 of the final 8 teams (Metcalfe & Breathitt) were small county schools. The other 6 teams were all small schools located in more populous counties.

I've always said for the sake of classification - to account for this - rather than classifying schools based solely on enrollment numbers - they should factor in the population of the county the school is located in as well. But that's just my opinion & I'm certainly no expert on the matter.
(11-20-2022, 08:34 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 11:10 AM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2022, 10:50 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]Forcing every athlete who attends a private school to compete in a single class, regardless of their schools' enrollment numbers would not be treating them as equals. How would you like it if your son's school had 200 students enrolled and had to play St. X in the playoffs?
But they they chose to send their kid to that school. So, they would be treated exactly as equals, because all the students at all those schools chose to go there, for whatever reason.

I am not arguing for or against, I just do not think the treating them as equals has any merit.

Wrong. Currently, for example, there are around 600 children attending Sayre from pre-school through 12th grade. Forcing Sayre to compete in a single private school class with Trinity and St. X would affect the students and parents that have already chosen the school. Even if such an idiotic rule were to apply only to future students, those students would not be treated as equals because students in the same sized public schools would be playing against teams from similar sized schools. That is not treating students from private and public schools as equals, it is discriminating against private schools for no good reason.

As I have said repeatedly, the real problem exists in Kentucky's public school football programs that are for the most part, very weak. It is much easier to tear successful schools down than it is to improve failing schools. There are plenty of people in every state who hate private schools or hate Christians or hate Catholics and want toi force kids to attend their neighborhood public schools and athletic programs. But large public schools have dominated Indiana 6A football, with the recent exception of Cathedral, for decades. Teacher unions and the politicians that they own would love to use taxpayer funds to persecute private schools into oblivion through legislation.
Let's play the discrimination game.....one can/does discriminate when it comes to who enrolls....one cannot....
Suggesting that the rules should be changed to restrict all private schools to compete in a single district that would include some of the smallest 1A schools in the states to compete with two of the largest 6A teams in the state would definitely be discriminating against private schools and their football players. Parents of private school student athletes pay property taxes that support public schools, the same as every property owner in their public school district. To punish football players who play for private schools would be wrong.

If Kentucky had a larger population and more private schools having football teams, then having separate classes for public and private schools would be more defensible, but it is ridiculous to propose a single private school class for Kentucky. It is not going to happen - and if it did, my guess is that private schools would sue the state. What you are proposing makes no more sense than proposing that all high school football teams from schools east of I-75 play in a single class. You cannot discriminate against people with absolutely no justification.
I am not advocating a split. I have been arguing the "discrimination" angle that you are using.
Full disclosure, my kid went to private school.
(11-21-2022, 09:01 PM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 08:34 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2022, 11:10 AM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]But they they chose to send their kid to that school. So, they would be treated exactly as equals, because all the students at all those schools chose to go there, for whatever reason.

I am not advocating a split. I have been arguing the "discrimination" angle that you are using.
Full disclosure, my kid went to private school.
If KHSAA adopted a different set of rules for private school football teams that would require all private schools to compete in a single class, it would be discriminatory. The fact that parents could withdraw their children from private schools and enroll them in public schools would not mean that the rules would not be discriminatory. That argument is like saying that black Americans in the south during the 1950s were not discriminated against because they were free to move to a northern state that had no Jim Crow laws. Being free to leave a discriminatory system does not make that system non-discriminatory.

(I attended public schools, as did all of my children but I harbor no resentment towards private schools, those who attend them, or those who support them. Taxpaying Americans deserve to be treated fairly and forcing all private school football teams to compete in a single class would be anything but fair.)
Based on your logic who is being discriminated against right now, the 1A and 6A schools because they are limited to 32 per class, or the other classes because they have more per class?

I am also not advocating a single class for private schools. I am saying that having a public private split is not discrimination, IMO. If they are legally permitted to be separate for educational purposes, then they surely can for athletic reasons.
(11-21-2022, 09:57 PM)IAM22 Wrote: [ -> ]Based on your logic who is being discriminated against right now, the 1A and 6A schools because they are limited to 32 per class, or the other classes because they have more per class?

I am also not advocating a single class for private schools. I am saying that having a public private split is not discrimination, IMO. If they are legally permitted to be separate for educational purposes, then they surely can for athletic reasons.
The fact that the classes do not contain the same exact number of teams is not discriminating against any team "for no good reason." KHSAA made a good faith effort to give every football team a fair chance to win a title against teams of similar size. Obviously, the smallest 1A teams in the state are at a big disadvantage, but no system is perfect.

If a private/public split of football classes could be done fairly, then I would have no problem with it - but the size distribution and the number of private schools playing football would not allow a split to be done fairly. As long as the state exerts control over private schools and as long as the KHSAA exerts control over private school football teams, then the schools should be treated as fairly as possible. To do otherwise would be discriminatory to private school teams for no good reason, IMO. State governments do have an obligation to treat those under its jurisdiction as equally as possible and the state has delegated its authority over high school football to the KHSAA.
I definitely have mixed emotions about Private / Public education. I commend any parent willing to sacrifice income to pay for a premium education. I also agree with Hoot in that the public schools do a terrible job competing with each other let alone the privates. You split them and the same teams will dominate. Every few years you should expect the privates to be down and a random public school will surprise. This year see Bryan Station and Bullitt East. Kentucky just doesn't have a population to split public from private. The voting public should demand more from the public school districts in terms of academics and facilities. People don't pay to play they pay to win and often times the privates win on the field and in the classroom.

Now, need-based scholarships are a huge problem for public schools. A few privates are now able to provide way more than the KHSAA capped scholarship amount. Kids/Families have a not-so-tough decision to make. If this trend continues I can see Privates split into two classes Large and Small. Also, Public schools do recruit but can only offer playing time. A school like Manual in Louisville is a premium public school and can get any kid in county limits. Hard to pass up an opportunity to enroll there. But there's no financial incentive other than potential scholarship / earned income post grad life.
The stupidity I read here is laughable. The word “discrimination” used to describe proper classification of two obviously different worlds is absurdly insulting to people who once faced real discrimination. This won’t ever change, because of $$$$$.

The same reason Enes Canter-Freedom who is good enough to be signed by an NBA TEAM, but won’t be, because among other things China owns the NBA- and he has called out China for enslaving people.

The privates have obvious advantages! Change the rules or make them all play together!!! America has no rules that limit any individual regardless of race, religion….so let’s make everyone in the classes play by the same rules.

Eliminate rules against recruiting, transferring without moving, etc.

ORRrrr

Make the privates play in their own class.

America has RULES against respecting or endorsing a religion.

I would strongly encourage you to call the KHSAA and report all "recruiting violations" that you are aware of; contact the local media, identify all those involved in "recruiting" and expose them publicly. No need to protect those breaking the rules by staying silent, go to the authorities and end these atrocities !

Need-based scholarships are a huge problem for public schools. A few privates are now able to provide way more than the KHSAA capped scholarship amount.

Please tell me more about these scholarships that private schools can offer. I sent 3 boys to catholic schools for grades K-12 and I can tell you I was never approached about such an opportunity. Private schools offer financial aid based upon need but the level of assistance is determined by a 3rd party and is limited to a maximum of 20%/ year, but the maximum generally requires multiple children in HS and / or college. The money available helps ease the pain, but sending a child to a private school remains very expensive.

Need-based scholarships are a huge problem for public schools. A few privates are now able to provide way more than the KHSAA capped scholarship amount.

Please tell me more about these scholarships that private schools can offer. I sent 3 boys to catholic schools for grades K-12 and I can tell you I was never approached about such an opportunity. Private schools offer financial aid based upon need but the level of assistance is determined by a 3rd party and is limited to a maximum of 20%/ year, but the maximum generally requires multiple children in HS and / or college. The money available helps ease the pain, but sending a child to a private school remains very expensive.
(11-24-2022, 10:59 PM)Iggyfan Wrote: [ -> ]

I would strongly encourage you to call the KHSAA and report all "recruiting violations" that you are aware of; contact the local media, identify all those involved in "recruiting" and expose them publicly. No need to protect those breaking the rules by staying silent, go to the authorities and end these atrocities !

Please tell me more about these scholarships that private schools can offer. I sent 3 boys to catholic schools for grades K-12 and I can tell you I was never approached about such an opportunity.  Private schools offer financial aid based upon need but the level of assistance is determined by a 3rd party and is limited to a maximum of 20%/ year, but the maximum generally requires multiple children in HS and / or college. The money available helps ease the pain, but sending a child to a private school remains very expensive.

Please tell me more about these scholarships that private schools can offer. I sent 3 boys to catholic schools for grades K-12 and I can tell you I was never approached about such an opportunity.  Private schools offer financial aid based upon need but the level of assistance is determined by a 3rd party and is limited to a maximum of 20%/ year, but the maximum generally requires multiple children in HS and / or college. The money available helps ease the pain, but sending a child to a private school remains very expensive.
Some private schools of "work study" meaning that a student/parent can work at the school performing tasks to reduce the cost of tuition.
Work: sweep classrooms, sweep hallways, pick up litter around the building, painting, landscaping, and help in cafeteria...

Private schools can offer up to 25% off tuition to remain eligible for KHSAA. That does not include "need based" awards and/or work study.
Independent Schools: Pikeville, Raceland, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bardstown, Corbin and Bowling Green all made the finals. The Independents took 7 of the 12 spots in the finals this season. And it is really 7 out of 10 as, I don't believe that there are any Independent Schools in 6A are there?
(11-26-2022, 12:41 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]Independent Schools: Pikeville, Raceland, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bardstown, Corbin and Bowling Green all made the finals.  The Independents took 7 of the 12 spots in the finals this season.  And it is really 7 out of 10 as, I don't believe that there are any Independent Schools in 6A are there?

Independent schools are public schools. Which means 11 of the 12 finalists are public schools.
(11-26-2022, 12:45 AM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 12:41 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]Independent Schools: Pikeville, Raceland, Beechwood, Mayfield, Bardstown, Corbin and Bowling Green all made the finals.  The Independents took 7 of the 12 spots in the finals this season.  And it is really 7 out of 10 as, I don't believe that there are any Independent Schools in 6A are there?

Independent schools are public schools. Which means 11 of the 12 finalists are public schools.
I don’t understand why people insist on putting independent schools in the same category as private schools.  I went to Raceland and lived in the city limits my whole life and always felt like that was just where I was supposed to go because I lived there.  I never felt an advantage over the kids in county schools, I just went to the school that was close to my house.
(11-26-2022, 12:55 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]

I don’t understand why people insist on putting independent schools in the same category as private schools.  I went to Raceland and lived in the city limits my whole life and always felt like that was just where I was supposed to go because I lived there.  I never felt an advantage over the kids in county schools, I just went to the school that was close to my house.

I went to Raceland also. I don't understand either why people put Independent school in the same category as privates either.
Go to school where you want. This argument is almost as stupid as the neutral site playoff conversation. Publics, Privates, and Independents all have advantages. The majority of privates being in Louisville are a savior to kids who want a real school experience. I’d rather homeschool my children before I sent them to JCPS
There should be separate divisions for private schools and schools that have teams full of recruited kids that should be going to other schools. Make it legal to recruit if schools want,and play in private school division. I wished there was a division for schools that just plays with the kids from there school district.

I understand that they are public schools.  But the 7 out of the 10 schools are Independent Schools.   I said nothing about putting them in the same category as Private Schools.  I was pointing out that it has been a particularly good year for Independents this season.  If anything, the Independent Schools have a tougher time that other public schools.   They are generally much more limited in the area from which they draw their students and, they don't have the tax base as most of the public schools.  As far as the state is concerned, the counties have to provide schools for the people--they don't care if Independent School exist at all.
(11-26-2022, 01:21 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]

I understand that they are public schools.  But the 7 out of the 10 schools are Independent Schools.   I said nothing about putting them in the same category as Private Schools.  I was pointing out that it has been a particularly good year for Independents this season.  If anything, the Independent Schools have a tougher time that other public schools.   They are generally much more limited in the area from which they draw their students and, they don't have the tax base as most of the public schools.  As far as the state is concerned, the counties have to provide schools for the people--they don't care if Independent School exist at all.

To me, the way you worded your previous post looked like you were saying independent schools should be lumped in with private schools. That being said, your last post is the most informative and accurate post about independent schools and clearly what you meant in the first place.
Independent schools recruit like crazy. Pikeville has like 150 boys in there school and dress 65 kids that look like D1 athletes every year which is is impossible. Normally a school might have 1 kid come in and play from another school district some these independent schools listed here has several every season. I just wished they would have spilt division for schools that recruit.
(11-26-2022, 10:00 AM)Running wild 14 Wrote: [ -> ]
Independent schools recruit like crazy. Pikeville has like 150 boys in there school and dress 65 kids that look like D1 athletes every year which is is impossible. Normally a school might have 1 kid come in and play from another school district some these independent schools listed here has several every season. I just wished they would have spilt division for schools that recruit.

This is one the funniest posts I have ever read on this site.
So 7 classes one being only private I don't think that would work would there even be enough for a class
(11-26-2022, 12:04 PM)Advicegiver74 Wrote: [ -> ]So 7 classes one being only private I don't think that would work would there even be enough for a class

Absolutely it would not work. Not enough private schools. Also, Bishop Brossart and other small private schools in the same class as T& St. X. Not happening.
This Public/Private debate is like a holiday season that pops up every year. Opinions are like buttholes and everyone has theirs. The recruiting debate happens every year with public school supporters crying foul at the private schools. Everyone recruits, it happens, public or private. (Both Class 4A Championship participants are suspect) My two boys were recruited by fans and staff at four schools and stuck with their school system. It worked out fine. All four recruiting them were public school supporters/staff. The school they attended had the sports powers-that-be advising me to hold them back in middle school. When my eldest was completing sixth grade, the sports powers wanted me to hold him back for football and the teachers advised me to move him to eighth grade because he was too smart and needed to jump a grade. He stayed with his buddies on the path that was set before him. All of you sports know-it-alls have the best advice with the idea that you want to "do what's best for the kids". What's best for the kids varies from kid to kid and I'm ALL for a kid succeeding in life. If that success includes football then good luck wherever the kid goes. But sometimes fanatics don't have what's actually best for a kid in mind. They want the kid to succeed inside of their advice in the halls of their school and in their sports program. Just leave the private school and public school athletics as they are. Everyone recruits as it is and private schools may have a small upper hand, but, it just makes it more sweet when your public school (which most certainly has NEVER recruited) beats the private school who HAS recruited.
Pages: 1 2 3