Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 3 A Championship Belfry 30 Bell Co 20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
It’s comical how some of you can get on here and bash Coach Hilton knowing you can’t even begin to think you know as much about coaching football as him. He did not coach a perfect game and neither did Coach Haywood. But they both had their teams prepared and both sides played hard. In the end Belfry was the better team. Hats off to them. Nothing but respect from Bell County for their program.
I am going to stand up for Dudley in regards to overusing Stephney.

What I saw on film is there was only two areas Bell County had a possible ability to hurt Belfry consistently and predictably.

1) I thought they had some receivers with good ball skills and hands that could make some plays in the intermediate to deep passing game. Especially if they caught Belfry in single coverage or if the zone broke down with Stephney extending the play.

2) Stephney's speed and ability to make yardage in the open field would be a major problem for Belfry if they lost contain.

I think both proved to be the truth. I thought the Baker kid ran hard but he needed a head full of steam and with Belfry's quickness in the front 7 that was going to be tough.

I think Hilton knew that his hopes hinged on those two points above and that working his committee of RB's would most likely keep them in 3rd and Distance. He had to win 1st and 2nd Down and get some chunk yardage when he could.

My only critique would be that I do think he had a little more in the RPO if he wanted to go back to it, but the "almost" fumble may have kept him off it a little as did the big hit Birchfield put on a receiver. The risk of a turnover became dangerous when he knew a turnover would be doom since they could not stop Belfry.

Let's be real here... Bell County was in this game solely because of what Stephney was doing. If no Stephney, this would probably have been a very lopsided game. Bell's best Defense was their Offense having success and keeping the clock rolling.
The only criticism I have seen is more RPO and take home 3 timeouts. The rest is his weak schedule. All valid points.
The timeout thing, I believe is being way overstated, Belfry came out and was dominate on first down a few plays in a row. A lot of coaches like to get a good first down play before using the time out, hoping to have more luck in burning all three to get the ball back. Belfry moved the ball and as best I can recall never got to third down on their final possession and frankly weren't even looking at 2nd and long as best I can remember.
I wont even criticize him for the timeouts, in fact I kind of thought it was refreshing that he just knew he was beat and tipped his hat to Haywood.

After Belfry recovered the on-side kick they were two First Downs from a title with a 2 score lead. Belfry got one of those first downs on the first play.

After years of seeing teams running it up with their varsity against Belfry Freshmen and JV... or years of seeing on-side kicks with the game out of reach.. it was pleasant to actually see Hilton realize anything else would be petty and window dressing and to let Belfry have their moment.

I don't think it was game mis-management as much as it was a show of respect. We just spent an entire week debating how Scroggins needed to own the loss... then we want to short change Hilton when he takes his L?
fridaynightfights Wrote:The timeout thing, I believe is being way overstated, Belfry came out and was dominate on first down a few plays in a row. A lot of coaches like to get a good first down play before using the time out, hoping to have more luck in burning all three to get the ball back. Belfry moved the ball and as best I can recall never got to third down on their final possession and frankly weren't even looking at 2nd and long as best I can remember.

THIS added to my above post!
Ok I can see that on timeout then call it and sub some of the kids so they can play on Kroger Field. Didn’t do that either. Hard to buy in that he quit . Luckily Somerset didn’t have that attitude. But he did last year at Corbin. So ok.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am going to stand up for Dudley in regards to overusing Stephney.

What I saw on film is there was only two areas Bell County had a possible ability to hurt Belfry consistently and predictably.

1) I thought they had some receivers with good ball skills and hands that could make some plays in the intermediate to deep passing game. Especially if they caught Belfry in single coverage or if the zone broke down with Stephney extending the play.

2) Stephney's speed and ability to make yardage in the open field would be a major problem for Belfry if they lost contain.

I think both proved to be the truth. I thought the Baker kid ran hard but he needed a head full of steam and with Belfry's quickness in the front 7 that was going to be tough.

I think Hilton knew that his hopes hinged on those two points above and that working his committee of RB's would most likely keep them in 3rd and Distance. He had to win 1st and 2nd Down and get some chunk yardage when he could.

My only critique would be that I do think he had a little more in the RPO if he wanted to go back to it, but the "almost" fumble may have kept him off it a little as did the big hit Birchfield put on a receiver. The risk of a turnover became dangerous when he knew a turnover would be doom since they could not stop Belfry.

Let's be real here... Bell County was in this game solely because of what Stephney was doing. If no Stephney, this would probably have been a very lopsided game. Bell's best Defense was their Offense having success and keeping the clock rolling.

I totally agree with you. On the fourth down, I probably wouldn't have went for it but I understand why he did, we weren't stopping Belfry's offense and our defense was gassed. Also, Hayward would have eat the clock. Why not give your superstar a chance to make a play
I had two boys play for Belfry from 2010 to 2016. I can remember some calls I questioned that the Belfry Staff made, but that is their call to make. Bell Co. has Dudley and Staff to make the calls. Just remember we got forever to make a decision not a play clock. Great Job Belfry
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am going to stand up for Dudley in regards to overusing Stephney.

Your postgame analysis are very impressive sir. Did you used to coach or anything?

I agree with every single thing you said. Dudley knew who was going to win or lose him the game and he was going to live or die by it. In my opinion he did the right thing. I also noticed we threw Baker in on defense way more on Friday than we have in recent weeks, especially when Belfry started torching us. It made a huge difference and we actually started to slow them down once he went in. I’m sure that forced Dudleys hands to ride London even more. I do feel like he had a solid game plan going into the game. First two drives weren’t so good, but our next two drives were 15 or so plays each starting at our own 20 and both ended in scores. Having said that he definitely got away from all those good things we done in the first half. The RPO was a nice wrinkle for us being something we hadn’t showed all year, and I don’t feel like Belfry ever adjusted to it. I’m like you in a sense that the ole Dud probably got a little tight later in the game and thought it was too risky. We have to realize how much he has changed since all he used to do was power I and wishbone. Having London, and a great receiving core, really made him rethink his offense, and I applaud him for being open to change. It’s one reason I believe we got back to a state championship for the first time in forever. Hindsight is a harsh thing though. I thought the staff for Bell done a great job. Congrats Belfry. Go Bell!!
skully03 Wrote:I honestly believe he was getting tired. Watching him after the long offensive drives where they score he slowly walked off the field. And there were a few defensive series where he wasn’t even on the field. Idk, so many things could’ve went different. Someone answer me this though. I know the game is over and we won, but the play that was let go because we thought it was a backwards pass, was there a whistle or what before we got the ball? The refs said the ruling on the field was an incomplete pass. That left me scratching my head. And i don’t even wanna talk about the pass interference call. Looked like good coverage to me.

After watching the film the first pass interference on Belfry is definitely questionable at best. I thought the Belfry kid made a great play. Having said that they definitely made up for it when they didn’t call the PI on the kid in the 3rd quarter on Bells first failed 4th down attempt. Many unbiased fans I spoke with about it thought they didn’t call it cause the pass wasn’t catchable (which isn’t a rule in high school). But after slowing the film down you can see our receiver actually gets a hand on it, and the Belfry kid definitely hits him early. Good officials usually balance the scales of justice when they make a bad call so I got no problem with it. I too think the officiating crew done a great job.
I've not said much about this game....because I've been on too much of an emotional roller coaster. Being a former Belfry player, supporter and a parent to a graduating senior.....the highs and lows of it all.....have just been a little much. So thankful that the Belfry kids put together a glorious run to win it......but also, fighting depression, knowing that my boy has ran out of the tunnel at CAM stadium for the last time. Honestly, its a tough place to be.

Bell Co played their hearts out....and a tip of the hat to those kids. I thought Bell played a very physical game.....and they kept bringing everything they had. Stephany is a special talent. He will be hard to replace next season.

Very proud of the Pirates. Looking forward to a great season in 2020.
I got an honest question for some of you Bell County fans. This is by no means bragging, boasting, or any kind of trash talk. I just want your honest opinion.

I went back and read most of the Belfry vs Bell County prediction thread. I saw where a couple, in particular BellCounty18, had said that Taylor County had the best backs in 3A and no way Belfry's back would be as good as Taylor County's.

My question is, do you still think that? Isaac Dixon rushed for 228 yards and 3 touchdowns in the championship game against a good Bell County defense. Myself, I have thought all year that Dixon was the best back in 3A but I didn't want to say anything in that thread and jinx him and the Pirates. The kid from Taylor County is a phenomenal RB but not as good as Dixon in my opinion.

Again, I'm not trying bash the Bobcats or any of their fans just wanting to know your thoughts after the fact. Do you think it was more that Dixon is the best back? Was it because Belfry's O-Line was better than what you guys thought and controlled the line of scrimmage better than Taylor County's line did? Or was it something else?

Dixon is just a junior so you'll more than likely see him again next year (hopefully) at some point and I just want to know your honest opinion on him. I know in the prediction thread some were dead set on believing that Bell had already faced the best back in 3A. Did our game change your mind or do you guys still think the kid from Taylor County was better?

And while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and have a little CROW for myself. I kept hearing you guys go on about #4 London Stephony. I said no way he was as good as you guys said he was nor as fast. Boy was I wrong! Not only was he that and more but he was also a pleasure to watch. Wish nothing but the best for that kid. Not only was he "as advertised" but he's just a great young man. After the game, he messaged my boy to congratulate him. And that's rare. Now they have become friends. Funny how that happens isn't it? Maybe us grown folks could learn a thing or two from our youngsters if we would just take a step back and pay attention.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I got an honest question for some of you Bell County fans. This is by no means bragging, boasting, or any kind of trash talk. I just want your honest opinion.

I went back and read most of the Belfry vs Bell County prediction thread. I saw where a couple, in particular BellCounty18, had said that Taylor County had the best backs in 3A and no way Belfry's back would be as good as Taylor County's.

My question is, do you still think that? Isaac Dixon rushed for 228 yards and 3 touchdowns in the championship game against a good Bell County defense. Myself, I have thought all year that Dixon was the best back in 3A but I didn't want to say anything in that thread and jinx him and the Pirates. The kid from Taylor County is a phenomenal RB but not as good as Dixon in my opinion.

Again, I'm not trying bash the Bobcats or any of their fans just wanting to know your thoughts after the fact. Do you think it was more that Dixon is the best back? Was it because Belfry's O-Line was better than what you guys thought and controlled the line of scrimmage better than Taylor County's line did? Or was it something else?

Dixon is just a junior so you'll more than likely see him again next year (hopefully) at some point and I just want to know your honest opinion on him. I know in the prediction thread some were dead set on believing that Bell had already faced the best back in 3A. Did our game change your mind or do you guys still think the kid from Taylor County was better?

And while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and have a little CROW for myself. I kept hearing you guys go on about #4 London Stephony. I said no way he was as good as you guys said he was nor as fast. Boy was I wrong! Not only was he that and more but he was also a pleasure to watch. Wish nothing but the best for that kid. Not only was he "as advertised" but he's just a great young man. After the game, he messaged my boy to congratulate him. And that's rare. Now they have become friends. Funny how that happens isn't it? Maybe us grown folks could learn a thing or two from our youngsters if we would just take a step back and pay attention.

I said for most of season that if the Dixon kid is healthy he is as good of a back that there is in high school football in the state nothing but respect 18 been pretty quiet since the game lol
#55PirateFan Wrote:I got an honest question for some of you Bell County fans. This is by no means bragging, boasting, or any kind of trash talk. I just want your honest opinion.

I’ll start off by saying I wasn’t involved with any of that talk in the prediction thread. But to defend those fans from Bell a little, the Dixon kid hadn’t been 100% almost the entire year. Missed several games. It was just hard to get a good read on how fast and agile the kid actually was. Rest assured there is no doubt now. He is the best running back in 3A and that’s probably a unanimous thought at this point.

All of our fans love London. He is so respectful every time I get a chance to speak with him. This game is the kind of game I love watching. Both teams smacking each other in the mouth trying to keep the other from gaining a yard, but helping each other up, patting a player on the helmet from the other team just to say hey you’re good. Congratulating each other after the game. It all makes the game so much more much more enjoyable.
bobcatpride1 Wrote:I’ll start off by saying I wasn’t involved with any of that talk in the prediction thread. But to defend those fans from Bell a little, the Dixon kid hadn’t been 100% almost the entire year. Missed several games. It was just hard to get a good read on how fast and agile the kid actually was. Rest assured there is no doubt now. He is the best running back in 3A and that’s probably a unanimous thought at this point.

All of our fans love London. He is so respectful every time I get a chance to speak with him. This game is the kind of game I love watching. Both teams smacking each other in the mouth trying to keep the other from gaining a yard, but helping each other up, patting a player on the helmet from the other team just to say hey you’re good. Congratulating each other after the game. It all makes the game so much more much more enjoyable.

Agree 100%
BobcatForever Wrote:I said for most of season that if the Dixon kid is healthy he is as good of a back that there is in high school football in the state nothing but respect 18 been pretty quiet since the game lol

Yeah, my buddy Bobcat18 has been dead quite, Lol. But it's all good. That guy, or any Bell County fan to be honest, never really had anything negative to say about Belfry before or after the game. It's been very respectful and classy from both sides. The way it should be. Much respect for Bell County and their people.

I’ll be honest they are both really good and I think it’s hard to pick. Dixon I believe has more help around him but I don’t want to say he’s not the best just because he has more pieces around him. They both have my respect and I would think both could beat most teams on a given night.
Belfrys main objective every year in my opinion is to get that o-line to a point where Haywood himself could run the ball. When you get lucky enough to have a back like Dixon on top of that, it's a joy to watch.
fridaynightfights Wrote:I’ll be honest they are both really good and I think it’s hard to pick. Dixon I believe has more help around him but I don’t want to say he’s not the best just because he has more pieces around him. They both have my respect and I would think both could beat most teams on a given night.

I agree with this. I think Dixon is the better back. But to be honest it's probably got more to do with me being from Belfry than if he actually is.

Tre Goodwin is a stud! No doubt about it. The kid just has that "IT" factor. I've kept up with him ever since we played him in the 8th grade. He dominated then and it looks like he's not slowed down a bit.

And I'll have to agree with what you said about Dixon having more pieces around him. Not only do we have a great FB in Hensley, but we got another HB, Bentley, who is on the same level. Throw in a big, nasty, dominant offensive line that keeps the defensive line out of his face then it might be a little easier for us to say that he is the better back.
red r8r Wrote:Belfrys main objective every year in my opinion is to get that o-line to a point where Haywood himself could run the ball. When you get lucky enough to have a back like Dixon on top of that, it's a joy to watch.

This is true. Our Offensive Line looked like at the beginning of the season that it was going to be a liability. Having only one returning starter there was a lot to work on. Throughout the season we had glimpses of them having the potential of being really good. Then at other times it looked like we might be in trouble. But right around playoff time when we really got healthy, this group took off like a rocket.

The first two playoff games they dominated. But it was against Floyd Central and Pike Central and I thought maybe it was just a mirage. But when Ashland came to town and we did the same thing to them, that's when I knew they were coming together. Then I really knew after the DeSales game that these guys were really good after going toe to toe with one of the best D-Lines in the state. And I thought they controlled the line of scrimmage against Bell County as well.

This group came together, overcame alot of obstacles, blocked out all the noise that they weren't near as good as Belfry lines in the past, grew as a unit, and finally put everything together and can now say that people were wrong about them. Not only that, they can say that they blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers in a single season. How many O-Line units can say that? I'm sure there's some, but not many. This group, Sean Cochran, Logan McCoy, Aiden Smith, Cameron Hensley, Triston Dotson, and Ethan Wolford went from being a weak link at the start of the season to, in my opinion, the MVP's of the 2019 Belfry Pirates.
#55PirateFan Wrote:This is true. Our Offensive Line looked like at the beginning of the season that it was going to be a liability. Having only one returning starter there was a lot to work on. Throughout the season we had glimpses of them having the potential of being really good. Then at other times it looked like we might be in trouble. But right around playoff time when we really got healthy, this group took off like a rocket.

The first two playoff games they dominated. But it was against Floyd Central and Pike Central and I thought maybe it was just a mirage. But when Ashland came to town and we did the same thing to them, that's when I knew they were coming together. Then I really knew after the DeSales game that these guys were really good after going toe to toe with one of the best D-Lines in the state. And I thought they controlled the line of scrimmage against Bell County as well.

This group came together, overcame alot of obstacles, blocked out all the noise that they weren't near as good as Belfry lines in the past, grew as a unit, and finally put everything together and can now say that people were wrong about them. Not only that, they can say that they blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers in a single season. How many O-Line units can say that? I'm sure there's some, but not many. This group, Sean Cochran, Logan McCoy, Aiden Smith, Cameron Hensley, Triston Dotson, and Ethan Wolford went from being a weak link at the start of the season to, in my opinion, the MVP's of the 2019 Belfry Pirates.

I agree 💯. I would also include FB Peyton Hensley. He’s been a workhorse ALL YEAR.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I agree 💯. I would also include FB Peyton Hensley. He’s been a workhorse ALL YEAR.

I included him in my previous post. This one was just about the linemen.
Who was it heckling Hilton and Stepheny before the game? A Corbin fan? Whoever it was has some serious issues and shouldn't be around kids or football if it does them that way. I know I wasn't the only one that saw it.
pjdoug Wrote:Who was it heckling Hilton and Stepheny before the game? A Corbin fan? Whoever it was has some serious issues and shouldn't be around kids or football if it does them that way. I know I wasn't the only one that saw it.

No idea what happened or what you're referencing. I will say that after standing in two different lines....all intermingled with Bell and Belfry fans....I didn't see ANY issues. Everyone was very friendly, courteous....albeit pretty nervous. :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:Who was it heckling Hilton and Stepheny before the game? A Corbin fan? Whoever it was has some serious issues and shouldn't be around kids or football if it does them that way. I know I wasn't the only one that saw it.

I believe you just told on yourself pjdoug ...........I think :partyhard
How was anyone heckling them? The way the field is set up the closest people to them would be their own crowd. Now I could see bell fans heckling Hilton haha. He’s gave them plenty of material. But not London. I’m kidding, but I hope this isn’t true.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:No idea what happened or what you're referencing. I will say that after standing in two different lines....all intermingled with Bell and Belfry fans....I didn't see ANY issues. Everyone was very friendly, courteous....albeit pretty nervous. :biggrin:

It was before the game and had no impact on the game. I was just now able to get back on here and thought I'd ask about it Smile . I'm sure the heckler and a couple players on the team know what I'm talking about.
64SUR Wrote:I believe you just told on yourself pjdoug ...........I think :partyhard
Maybe it was you Smile
Hound05 Wrote:How was anyone heckling them? The way the field is set up the closest people to them would be their own crowd. Now I could see bell fans heckling Hilton haha. He’s gave them plenty of material. But not London. I’m kidding, but I hope this isn’t true.

it wasn't on the field. it was near the concession area before the game. They know who they are Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9