Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 1 A Championship Pikeville 43 Paintsville 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Spud6 Wrote:There’s not much to talk about with this game so I been thinking. Imagine taking Paintsville’s offensive personal from this season and implementing Belfrys offense. With Allen at FB and Phelps and another back as the other wing I think could have been dangerous. Their offensive line was HUGE and could really move guys out the way but they were slower with being so big. Paintsville ran three plays all year, handoff today Phelps, Reed option with Hyden and then RPO throwing to Poe down the seam. Phelps was very fast and it never seemed they were able to get him in space to make a play. He always had to run off tackle in a bunch of busy bodies moving around.

This is total speculation and in no way and I’m talking bad about Chirico or whoever does the offense. This is just me taking and seeing what you all think.

If Belfry couldn’t beat Pikeville with Belfry’s offense, what makes you think Paintsville could?

Paintsville had an offense and defense that could beat any 1A team not named Pikeville.
pjdoug Wrote:I have a couple questions. Did I say since last season pick Pikeville to win it all? Did Pikeville exploit the big slow Paintsville line? Confusednicker: . Go ahead and give Pikeville next year's trophy, too.

I guess ever single 1A not named Pikeville was big and slow. Pikeville was just that good.
Red and Black Wrote:I think Hyden's injury earlier in the season set Paintsville's offensive chemistry back a few games. Tbh though, with the talent and size of that o line, in single A football, they could have beat most teams in the state with virtually any formation they chose to run. That OL was the cornerstone that this team's success was built upon. They ran the same 2 or 3 plays vs KCD and got 5-10 yards every time. KCD knew it was coming, but they had nothing to stop it. But Pikeville wasn't KCD. Pikeville had the players and defensive gameplan to stop those couple of plays that Paintsville rode all the way to Kroger Field. That being said, I think they could have possibly scored 20-30 points vs Pikeville... if they played the game of their lives, and did some things on offense that Pikeville hadn't seen from them all year, but I don't think there was any way they were going to win this game. Paintsville, like every other team in 1A, just ran into a matchup nightmare against Pikeville. IMO, this Pikeville team goes down as one of the top 2 or 3 teams that Pikeville has ever fielded, and they've fielded some great ones.
That KCD team wasn’t very good in my opinion. Paintsville had that much of a talent gap that they could basically run a pee wee level offense and beat them. I just don’t understand the logic of trying to do that against a team like Pikeville.

I give the Paintsville kids credit for the season they had because Paintsville had a terrific year. They beat some good teams to make it to Kroger Field. They just ran into an extremely talented Pikeville team.

I didn’t know Hyden had gotten hurt this year and I hope that he finished the year up healthy. Kids running ability will make Paintsville dangerous again next year.
2000PHS Wrote:If Belfry couldn’t beat Pikeville with Belfry’s offense, what makes you think Paintsville could?

Paintsville had an offense and defense that could beat any 1A team not named Pikeville.
I don’t understand your logic and that leads to the point being made in this thread. Paintsville would have been better off running more traditional sets and utilizing other people’s running abilities at the same time as the Phelps kid. Their was no threat of another back touching the football in that set. So, like you said Belfry couldn’t beat them running their offense but Paintsville thought they could use that set in that manner and make it work? The guys sitting around me and my friends were all discussing that point during the game. It was glaringly obvious even from people that weren’t familiar with Paintsville that the other two backs in the backfield were no threat at all with touching the football in any straight hand offs, counters, or option plays. I guess I’m just used to our style of play at JC.

I’m NOT saying that would have won them the game so let’s not misconstrued that point. Paintsville’s odds would have been better as far as actually putting points on the board with a different game plan in my opinion. The way Pikeville scored at will on that defense, it didn’t matter what offense Paintsville ran. Pikeville is just that talented and well coached.
Otis Campbell Wrote:I don’t understand your logic and that leads to the point being made in this thread. Paintsville would have been better off running more traditional sets and utilizing other people’s running abilities at the same time as the Phelps kid. Their was no threat of another back touching the football in that set. So, like you said Belfry couldn’t beat them running their offense but Paintsville thought they could use that set in that manner and make it work? The guys sitting around me and my friends were all discussing that point during the game. It was glaringly obvious even from people that weren’t familiar with Paintsville that the other two backs in the backfield were no threat at all with touching the football in any straight hand offs, counters, or option plays. I guess I’m just used to our style of play at JC.

I’m NOT saying that would have won them the game so let’s not misconstrued that point. Paintsville’s odds would have been better as far as actually putting points on the board with a different game plan in my opinion. The way Pikeville scored at will on that defense, it didn’t matter what offense Paintsville ran. Pikeville is just that talented and well coached.

I can recall 5 different offensive sets Paintsville ran. All with the same result.
Spud6 Wrote:There’s not much to talk about with this game so I been thinking. Imagine taking Paintsville’s offensive personal from this season and implementing Belfrys offense. With Allen at FB and Phelps and another back as the other wing I think could have been dangerous. Their offensive line was HUGE and could really move guys out the way but they were slower with being so big. Paintsville ran three plays all year, handoff today Phelps, Reed option with Hyden and then RPO throwing to Poe down the seam. Phelps was very fast and it never seemed they were able to get him in space to make a play. He always had to run off tackle in a bunch of busy bodies moving around.

This is total speculation and in no way and I’m talking bad about Chirico or whoever does the offense. This is just me taking and seeing what you all think.

I agree with you one hundred percent on this. I personally think Paintsville could have been a lot better offensively. I’m not saying that Paintsville’s coaching staff isn’t good. It’s obvious they can coach, but I disagree completely with their offensive philosophies.
pjdoug Wrote:I have a couple questions. Did I say since last season pick Pikeville to win it all? Did Pikeville exploit the big slow Paintsville line? Confusednicker: . Go ahead and give Pikeville next year's trophy, too.

PJDoug, no wonder I love you. The only man I know is ready to talk smack for next year 8 months in advance. You are one of a kind. Stay the same person always a pleasure to read your post.

I agree that Paintsville does need to change their offensive philosophy after what I watched yesterday. That just isn't gonna win a state championship. I think they should have threw some wrinkles in the offense that Pikeville hadn't seen and run a couple trick plays to see if they could get a cheap score or something but they just kept running the same ole stuff that wasn't working. But there's no way a team could change to the veer offense with the flexbone and expect it to be as precise and cohesively as Belfry does in just one year. It's an offensive that takes a lot of repetition to run it effectively. Lawrence County runs it with some small variations of it but it's not ran nearly as well as what Belfry does.
2000PHS Wrote:I can recall 5 different offensive sets Paintsville ran. All with the same result.

Pikeville is fantastic. No doubt about it and they can make a good team look bad. The offensive philosophies at Paintsville, I don’t agree with and your five different sets defense of their strategy, respectfully doesn’t change my opinion. It’s common knowledge that Paintsville expected that reverse wishbone to be their bread and butter strategy for that football game. I’m about positive that you know that as well.
Belfry’s offense is implemented at the 3rd&4th grade level and people on here want Paintsville to install it going into the state finals.
Otis Campbell Wrote:Pikeville is fantastic. No doubt about it and they can make a good team look bad. The offensive philosophies at Paintsville, I don’t agree with and your five different sets defense of their strategy, respectfully doesn’t change my opinion. It’s common knowledge that Paintsville expected that reverse wishbone to be their bread and butter strategy for that football game. I’m about positive that you know that as well.

My point is that NO offense was going to get the outcome I wanted. Just tip my hat and move on, Pikeville was just better. Paintsville was the 2nd best team in class A. I can remember back to a time when Jenkins beat Paintsville. A Paintsville team that had freaking Kash Daniel on it.
2000PHS Wrote:My point is that NO offense was going to get the outcome I wanted. Just tip my hat and move on, Pikeville was just better. Paintsville was the 2nd best team in class A. I can remember back to a time when Jenkins beat Paintsville. A Paintsville team that had freaking Kash Daniel on it.

I understand that. I guess being an outsider it’s harder for me to understand your perspective. Personally, I believe that Paintsville has an ex coach in their school system that needs to be working in some capacity on that staff. Maybe after some time off, he will have a change of heart and go back to coaching. Anyways, you’re correct that Paintsville was the second best team and nothing offensively would have changed that.
2000PHS Wrote:Belfry’s offense is implemented at the 3rd&4th grade level and people on here want Paintsville to install it going into the state finals.
Irrational post. No one said they should have installed that in a week. It’s a system they should have been running way before now in my opinion. Same system Brugh ran that actually built the tradition of their program. Several people that have been or used to be involved with that program have said the same thing for years and I’m one hundred percent sure you know that. I guess when you try to defend the indefensible you have no choice but to make outrageous posts because I’m positive that no one in their right mind would have or did say Paintsville could install that in one week. LOL!!!!
Seriously now that the season is over how in the world was KCD the #1 RPI team for Class A?...Pikeville would have beat them like a drum and it was obvious all season.
PHSFAN Wrote:Seriously now that the season is over how in the world was KCD the #1 RPI team for Class A?...Pikeville would have beat them like a drum and it was obvious all season.

Pretty simple, play large schools that can’t win anything. Beat them.
Coach knows his players better than anyone, you have to play what fits your talent.... if Coach thought another way could have won the game, I truly believe he would have done just that...,
PHSFAN Wrote:Seriously now that the season is over how in the world was KCD the #1 RPI team for Class A?...Pikeville would have beat them like a drum and it was obvious all season.

Still a head scratcher and interested to see how this RPI works next year so we have a little more sample size. But it did allow for the best teams in 1A to matchup this year when normally it wouldn’t have happened at Kroger
Does anyone know if this game will be played on WYMT or another channel this weekend? Details?
People saying Paintsville should go back to the wishbone need to really think about that. The reason Belfry and older Pikeville Teams had so much success with the triple option and utilizing the fullback was because they had MONSTERS on the offensive line. Pikeville got so much better when they started spreading the field and getting the ball to skill players on islands. I think small schools are better with this type of offense because you simply aren’t gonna have the lineman to dominate year after year.
Congratulations to Pikeville!!! Dominated from start to finish.
KCD found a sweet spot in the RPI by playing teams in higher classes that anyone in the Top 10 of 1A could beat handily. But, as we saw. Computer rankings don’t matter in the post season...
Congrats to Pikeville on another title. Many more to come im sure. Congrats to Paintsville on a deep run. The first game for your players at state is a lot of times hard to handle. Hopefully they can get back and have a better showing.
Congratulations Pikeville
Congratulations Panther Nation! And congrats to my buddy Patriot1, happy for you my friend.
red r8r Wrote:1a. 2a. 3a?

Yes sir!! They can beat any team in all 3 of those classes!! I know I’m biased, but like another poster said earlier, this Pikeville team could very well be a top 10 team statewide!!
Paintsville had a year similar to what Raceland did in their first title appearance. A good quality team, that peaked at the right time, god a good draw in terms of who they played in the playoffs and ran into a buzz saw. They also had similar issues in the title game offensively. Granted, Paintsville put up more yardage than Raceland did against Beechwood, but the outcome was the same. I think what Paintsville lacked was what they have had in the past years. And that was the 1+2 punch out of the backfield and a real threat at WR. They didnt have the ground and pound back that forced defenses to honor up the middle which helped bring in the corners and made the safeties have to honor the run. Which opened Phelps up to run the sweeps fir big plays. When everything is off tackle, theres no need to crowd the box if you have speed defensively. Pikeville was able to play balanced defense and that was the big difference in the game, imo. Raceland had the same issue in their title game. Not only being one demensional, but living and dieing off of one or 2 kids offensively, and being one demensional in the run game as well, isnt going to win a title. Paintsville and Raceland have both made a title appearance in the last few years. Says alot about our district, but the showings in said games also shows that both teams have a ways to go to truly be CONTENDERS.
But simply reaching the finals is a task many havent done. It took Raceland nearly a century
Pikeville looked like a different team from early in the regular szn when Paintsville Raceland both played them close. Give credit to that staff there gameplan was flawless. The kids looked fresh and faster stronger than they did in the regular szn. Pikeville was tall and lean up front. some good athletes playing in the trenches that may not get enough credit solid group. Mcnamee and his staff did a great job this szn. That is the best Pikeville team I have seen. Paintsville will be right back in the hunt in 2020 but we have to use 9 and some other receivers more in our offense we return a lot of talent
Hambley Wrote:People saying Paintsville should go back to the wishbone need to really think about that. The reason Belfry and older Pikeville Teams had so much success with the triple option and utilizing the fullback was because they had MONSTERS on the offensive line. Pikeville got so much better when they started spreading the field and getting the ball to skill players on islands. I think small schools are better with this type of offense because you simply aren’t gonna have the lineman to dominate year after year.
You don’t have to have monster lineman to be a good option team, but it does certainly help. I could care less what Paintsville runs, but I threw my two cents in on the offense after I seen their variation of a power run set against your Panthers. At smaller schools, you do have to run sets based on the strength of the kids that you have year in and out. You make a valid point with that. Your team is extremely well-coached and fun to watch. Congratulations on your team winning number five.
Otis Campbell Wrote:I understand that. I guess being an outsider it’s harder for me to understand your perspective. Personally, I believe that Paintsville has an ex coach in their school system that needs to be working in some capacity on that staff. Maybe after some time off, he will have a change of heart and go back to coaching. Anyways, you’re correct that Paintsville was the second best team and nothing offensively would have changed that.

I would have to agree Otis. Possibly some time off and how the title game went, could cause a change of heart. Who knows? Even though Pikeville is a much larger school than Paintsville, One of the big differences between the two are, if your an athlete at Pikeville in the fall, for the most part, your on the football field! Paintsville has quite a few that would be difference makers that just don’t play. You could see the difference looking at both sidelines. Pikeville has Double the amount of kids on their roster. Paintsville needs to figure out how to get those extra athletes onto the field. In a 1A program you need Every one you can get!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8