Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 1 A Championship Pikeville 43 Paintsville 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Best team inClass A , AA, AAA . Very impressive.
Belfry wins 3A championship and Pikeville beats them on their home field. Guess that shows how good this Pikeville team is in my opinion.
doubledown Wrote:Belfry wins 3A championship and Pikeville beats them on their home field. Guess that shows how good this Pikeville team is in my opinion.

Before people take off with this one. Dixon did not play for Belfry in that matchup and it’s proved that he is their main horse. So let’s just enjoy this one and not start hypotheticals.
Congratulations to Pikeville. They've got a great, great team. Probably top 10 in the state overall. Very good season for Paintsville as well. One thing that I like about this RPI setup is that it allowed for this matchup.
Spud6 Wrote:Before people take off with this one. Dixon did not play for Belfry in that matchup and it’s proved that he is their main horse. So let’s just enjoy this one and not start hypotheticals.

Even though Belfry was without Dixon and a 1A team can win on 3A state champion home field still is very impressive in my opinion.
doubledown Wrote:Even though Belfry was without Dixon and a 1A team can win on 3A state champion home field still is very impressive in my opinion.

Fair enough. But in all honesty Pikeville isn’t your typical 1A school this year. They have player after player after player that can make things happen. I don’t think people truly realize how special this team really is. They are a 1A team with depth of a 4A team and the players are interchangeable. Truly incredible to watch this season and a team that will be remembered for years to come.
Congrats Pikeville, I was cheering you guys on.
cuppett777 Wrote:Congrats Pikeville, I was cheering you guys on.

Congrats to you guys as well!!! COUNTY OF CHAMPIONS!!!! 🐾🏆💍☠️💍🏆
Wow. Big statement. Congrats
Congratulations to the Pikeville Panthers, great overall performance from a team that someone on here said they where going to run it down your throat. Funny he hasn’t posted yet. This team is special ( especially to me) with their work ethic and mind set to accomplish what they are supposed to get done. Love these guys and 2019 team has now made their mark in history. I am not saying they are better than any of the other Pikeville teams just that they are their own team in Pikeville history. For the ones saying they will be down next year I might agree that at the first of the season they might until they fine their identity but they do have a bunch of talent coming up. As always GO PANTHERS!!!
The best TEAM with the best PLAYERS won convincingly. End of story.
SugeAvery Wrote:Congrats, I give credit when it’s due!! Pikeville played a great game and we didn’t!! Never thought it would be that lopsided! But congrats to those young men!! I am eating my crow for all those that thought I wouldn’t!!

I also give credit where it’s due. So, thanks for being a man & good sport!! But to rub it in a little, I told you that pikeville line was the real deal. Hahaha. Sorry my friend, I had to!!
Spud6 Wrote:Before people take off with this one. Dixon did not play for Belfry in that matchup and it’s proved that he is their main horse. So let’s just enjoy this one and not start hypotheticals.

We can all have our opinions, but you would have to admit, As good as both teams played, We’d all love to see those two teams get together next weekend just for the fun of it!! Haha
It’s a true statement of the love of football & commitment to excellence here in the mountains when of the 6 trophies, 2 of them now reside in PIKE COUNTY!! Hopefully after tomorrow’s games 3 will reside in the 15th region!! Worse come to worse, the 15th will have two State Championships & two runners up!! Who else in this state can say that?! I don’t think even Louisville can match us right now on those stats!! Could not be prouder of Coach’s Heywood & Mcnamee!! And regardless of tomorrow’s outcome Coach Matney too!! And It’s not gonna end any time soon!! Hats off to Coach Chirico, & his players & staff!!
I've been mesmerized by this Pikeville football team from the first snap of the season. After season's end last yr. in Lexington, I think all Pikeville fans knew it was a great possibility we would see it end in grand fashion like it did today. This team was a reflection of such a dedicated first class head coach and staff that the community of Pikeville is blessed to have. These Seniors will be remembered for decades to come. Wish them the best of luck in whatever careers they choose and hopefully, next season will be another great one . Some real good talent coming up, but there may be some growing pains in the beginning. Thanks Panthers for giving us the best, because you are the best!
HAIL PIKEVILLE !!!!
Wow!!! Congrats Panthers. Didn't see that coming. Even though I probably should have. Incredible!
boomer_sooner Wrote:pikeville came to prove a point!! Those young men wanted to show everyone & leave no doubt that the pikeville panthers are without question the best football team in 1a!! Congratulations to the pikeville players, coaching staff, fans & the entire pikeville community, once again you are state champions!!

1a. 2a. 3a?
Man, I graduated from Shelby Valley a while back, and to the ones that went to valley cheering for Pikeville is a sin, but you can’t help but respect coach Mac and these players. Awesome job this season, nothing but the upmost respect.
Coach Mac’s sons development over the season has been so fun to watch. The kid is only a sophomore, right? Two more years of him and the rest of those underclassmen is gonna be fun to watch.
Sun Tzu wrote in “The Art of War” that “Every battle is won and lost before its ever fought” Coach Mac and his staff did a phenomenal job preparing these boys this week and it showed. No need to really say anything about the game. The scoreboard said it better than I ever could. A person could make a pretty compelling argument that this is the best team in Pikeville History. They certainly have some numbers on both sides of the ball and the schedule they played that would be hard to argue against. On a personal note, it was hard to fight back the emotions I felt when I saw my son trot out on to Kroger Field late in the game and play a couple of snaps with his JV teammates. Proud of this team and this entire community!

As for Paintsville. I think y’all know I don’t like you very much and I’m sure the feeling is mutual (Wouldn’t have it any other way!). But let me tell you a story that hopefully cheers you up a little:
In 2008 I sat at Paintsville watching my Brother play against you guys. It was senior night and there were 3-4 seniors being honored on a team with that consisted of 15-16 players at the most. I remember feeling very sad seeing a once proud and respected program fall on such hard times. I remember rumors flying around that Paintsville may not even have a team the next year if more kids didn’t come out. So, in 11 years Paintsville has went from the brink extinction to playing in a State Championship Game. That’s one heck of a turnaround in a relatively short amount of time. Coach Chirico deserves a ton of credit for that! I thought about my Ole pal Joey Couch this week and the good natured “Smack Talk” we’d enjoy on Facebook during the week of a Pikeville/Paintsville game. I hope I don’t have to tell you that regardless of what that scoreboard said today, Joey would’ve been proud of you! See y’all next year....HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Sun Tzu wrote in “The Art of War” that “Every battle is won and lost before its ever fought” Coach Mac and his staff did a phenomenal job preparing these boys this week and it showed. No need to really say anything about the game. The scoreboard said it better than I ever could. A person could make a pretty compelling argument that this is the best team in Pikeville History. They certainly have some numbers on both sides of the ball and the schedule they played that would be hard to argue against. On a personal note, it was hard to fight back the emotions I felt when I saw my son trot out on to Kroger Field late in the game and play a couple of snaps with his JV teammates. Proud of this team and this entire community!

As for Paintsville. I think y’all know I don’t like you very much and I’m sure the feeling is mutual (Wouldn’t have it any other way!). But let me tell you a story that hopefully cheers you up a little:
In 2008 I sat at Paintsville watching my Brother play against you guys. It was senior night and there were 3-4 seniors being honored on a team with that consisted of 15-16 players at the most. I remember feeling very sad seeing a once proud and respected program fall on such hard times. I remember rumors flying around that Paintsville may not even have a team the next year if more kids didn’t come out. So, in 11 years Paintsville has went from the brink extinction to playing in a State Championship Game. That’s one heck of a turnaround in a relatively short amount of time. Coach Chirico deserves a ton of credit for that! I thought about my Ole pal Joey Couch this week and the good natured “Smack Talk” we’d enjoy on Facebook during the week of a Pikeville/Paintsville game. I hope I don’t have to tell you that regardless of what that scoreboard said today, Joey would’ve been proud of you! See y’all next year....HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!

Thank you for saying that about how far the Paintsville program has came under the direction of Joe Chirico. I do not think there was a better person (within reason) to take over the program during that time. Was this the best ever Paintsville team? No. Joe has had 3 or 4 better team since 2013 but this team found a way to get to Lexington. I do not like to make excuses and this game’s outcome was never changing but Paintsville was severely banged up, a lot of the guys that played did so because it was the state finals. True warriors. Proud of them.

Pikeville was an outlier in 1A. It was a bunch of decent 1A teams that could compete and then this super team that could have won 1-3A and played with/beat 95% of 4A.
Cody Rains run make sport centers too plays at #4!
Congrats Pikeville
Congrats to both teams, it's never easy to make it to the state finals. I shudder to imagine how deep Pburg could've went this year if all the kids that went to Adams Middle had went to Pburg. But, however much I regret their departure, I don't question their motives for leaving. Congrats to Pburg native Cody Raines for making the big show! Not very often do you see mountain athletes on the SC top 10. Man, what a run! What a football player! I think the Paintsville v pikeville matchup will be a little more balanced next year. Pikeville was just an outlier in 1A this year with their level of talent mixed with how well they were coached. I think their talent dips slightly next year, but if young McNamee keeps developing at the pace that he did this year then he is going to make up for any lack of talent at other positions. Paintsville should be better next year, but I have some serious misgivings about the pistol inverted wishbone offense. I think it is too limited and predictable. But Paintsville has a great coaching staff and I think they'll figure out something before next season.
Red and Black Wrote:Congrats to both teams, it's never easy to make it to the state finals. I shudder to imagine how deep Pburg could've went this year if all the kids that went to Adams Middle had went to Pburg. But, however much I regret their departure, I don't question their motives for leaving. Congrats to Pburg native Cody Raines for making the big show! Not very often do you see mountain athletes on the SC top 10. Man, what a run! What a football player! I think the Paintsville v pikeville matchup will be a little more balanced next year. Pikeville was just an outlier in 1A this year with their level of talent mixed with how well they were coached. I think their talent dips slightly next year, but if young McNamee keeps developing at the pace that he did this year then he is going to make up for any lack of talent at other positions. Paintsville should be better next year, but I have some serious misgivings about the pistol inverted wishbone offense. I think it is too limited and predictable. But Paintsville has a great coaching staff and I think they'll figure out something before next season.
Pikeville is so good that it didn’t matter what offense Paintsville would have ran, they would have lost this game. Pikeville could have beat Paintsville a lot worse. I agree about that reverse wishbone because it’s absolutely mind-boggling how it was used. I heard a fairly generous amount of people at the game talking about that. Seeing it run in person instead of going by film and hearsay, that was doomed from the beginning.
I have a couple questions. Did I say since last season pick Pikeville to win it all? Did Pikeville exploit the big slow Paintsville line? Confusednicker: . Go ahead and give Pikeville next year's trophy, too.
Otis Campbell Wrote:Pikeville is so good that it didn’t matter what offense Paintsville would have ran, they would have lost this game. Pikeville could have beat Paintsville a lot worse. I agree about that reverse wishbone because it’s absolutely mind-boggling how it was used. I heard a fairly generous amount of people at the game talking about that. Seeing it run in person instead of going by film and hearsay, that was doomed from the beginning.

I think Hyden's injury earlier in the season set Paintsville's offensive chemistry back a few games. Tbh though, with the talent and size of that o line, in single A football, they could have beat most teams in the state with virtually any formation they chose to run. That OL was the cornerstone that this team's success was built upon. They ran the same 2 or 3 plays vs KCD and got 5-10 yards every time. KCD knew it was coming, but they had nothing to stop it. But Pikeville wasn't KCD. Pikeville had the players and defensive gameplan to stop those couple of plays that Paintsville rode all the way to Kroger Field. That being said, I think they could have possibly scored 20-30 points vs Pikeville... if they played the game of their lives, and did some things on offense that Pikeville hadn't seen from them all year, but I don't think there was any way they were going to win this game. Paintsville, like every other team in 1A, just ran into a matchup nightmare against Pikeville. IMO, this Pikeville team goes down as one of the top 2 or 3 teams that Pikeville has ever fielded, and they've fielded some great ones.
pjdoug Wrote:I have a couple questions. Did I say since last season pick Pikeville to win it all? Did Pikeville exploit the big slow Paintsville line? Confusednicker: . Go ahead and give Pikeville next year's trophy, too.

I definitely won’t agree with your allusion that Paintsville’s lineman are just big and slow. That’s not accurate. Paintsville was out-coached by a mile. Those guys seem to be good guys and they would probably say the same thing if their being honest. Pikeville had the better game plan and better players yesterday. Plain and simple.
There’s not much to talk about with this game so I been thinking. Imagine taking Paintsville’s offensive personal from this season and implementing Belfrys offense. With Allen at FB and Phelps and another back as the other wing I think could have been dangerous. Their offensive line was HUGE and could really move guys out the way but they were slower with being so big. Paintsville ran three plays all year, handoff today Phelps, Reed option with Hyden and then RPO throwing to Poe down the seam. Phelps was very fast and it never seemed they were able to get him in space to make a play. He always had to run off tackle in a bunch of busy bodies moving around.

This is total speculation and in no way and I’m talking bad about Chirico or whoever does the offense. This is just me taking and seeing what you all think.
And just think, but for an injury, an overturned INT, and a couple other bounces, we could be congratulating Pikeville on back to back titles. So happy for this bunch. 3 state title games since 2015, 2-1 record. Love my Panthers! Congrats to Coach Mac and staff!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8