Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky Mr. Football talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Up to this point, who do you all see being finalists for Mr. football?
In alphabetical order.

Allen - LexCath
Hightower - Madisonville
Lanter - Boyle Co
Mayer - CovCath
Smith - Boyle Co
I can’t comment on Hightower or Mayer due to don’t know them well enough. I would go smith, lanter, then Allen. My reasoning is based on smith is special all stater both ways. Now it gets interesting cause Allen has better numbers but he hasn’t made it deep into playoffs and won’t this year either. Lanter resume places him above Allen and numbers are not far off and with the three extra games will have better numbers in all categories except rushing yards at season end. I also look at head to head Allen is I think 0-5 to date and should add another loss in playoffs to lanter. That speaks volumes to me but I don’t get a vote lol. The other two kids mentioned, I honestly couldn’t place them.
Mayer CovCath.
I haven’t seen Hightower either so I honestly can’t say. If you made me pick in order:
1) Allen- just a flat out football player. Takes what he has and makes plays. High IQ along with accuracy and arm strength

2) R. Smith.- inmean the dude is a freak. Nuf said. If the guy was 3-4 inches taller he would be playing for a very high major college next year.

3) Mayer for Cov is just a beast, he has the size. Skill. And everything else it takes to make it on the next level.

4) oxedine- he might actually be higher by a couple spots, I’ve just seen his highlight videos, but he def looks the part.

But let’s all be serious for a minute. Allen will win it, and deservingly so. He’s a play maker. But even if he wasn’t the best the brand that he’s already built would push voters his way...... it’s not fair, but neither is life. I watched a Senior QB last year from Corbin who was probably the best player in every game he played. And half the season he played with an injury. He didn’t get the recognition he deserved, and that’s fine, he chose baseball over football anyways.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:I can’t comment on Hightower or Mayer due to don’t know them well enough. I would go smith, lanter, then Allen. My reasoning is based on smith is special all stater both ways. Now it gets interesting cause Allen has better numbers but he hasn’t made it deep into playoffs and won’t this year either. Lanter resume places him above Allen and numbers are not far off and with the three extra games will have better numbers in all categories except rushing yards at season end. I also look at head to head Allen is I think 0-5 to date and should add another loss in playoffs to lanter. That speaks volumes to me but I don’t get a vote lol. The other two kids mentioned, I honestly couldn’t place them.

Smith has made Allstate on both sides of the ball (S/WR) that is STRONG. And a dominating performance in a title game. The WVU commit is very durable and is always the best player on the field when he is healthy. He had four TD catches and a pic with a knuckle in the middle of the back of his hand vs Belfry.

Lanter will leave BCHS with maybe all of the passing records over a state runner up to Mr Football (Brandon Smith) and a Mr Football (Jeff Duggins), at least one state title (and title game MVP) and a possible 42-2 record as a starter.

Allen is putting up ridiculous numbers and has for four years. He will probably own all records at LC when he graduates. UK commit.

Mayer is a great two way player and is the #1 ranked TE in the 2020 class. He is a tough kid, is a Notre Dame commit and will play on Sunday's one day..

Hightower is a VERY good RB and has put up great numbers in high school. Very consistent and tough.
Hound05 Wrote:I haven’t seen Hightower either so I honestly can’t say. If you made me pick in order:
1) Allen- just a flat out football player. Takes what he has and makes plays. High IQ along with accuracy and arm strength

2) R. Smith.- inmean the dude is a freak. Nuf said. If the guy was 3-4 inches taller he would be playing for a very high major college next year.

3) Mayer for Cov is just a beast, he has the size. Skill. And everything else it takes to make it on the next level.

4) oxedine- he might actually be higher by a couple spots, I’ve just seen his highlight videos, but he def looks the part.

But let’s all be serious for a minute. Allen will win it, and deservingly so. He’s a play maker. But even if he wasn’t the best the brand that he’s already built would push voters his way...... it’s not fair, but neither is life. I watched a Senior QB last year from Corbin who was probably the best player in every game he played. And half the season he played with an injury. He didn’t get the recognition he deserved, and that’s fine, he chose baseball over football anyways.

I know you know football better than that. Allen in his career may have lanter beat in passing by 1200-1500 yards in career but hasn’t won as much as a district championship during his tenure at qb. Also want to add that the guy that keeps him from winning it is lanter, and smith. Everyone can use the excuse he didn’t have the weapons Boyle had, but he had something or else he wouldn’t have put up the numbers he has had. If winning isn’t part of the equation and doesn’t mean something to the voters than I could care less about the award because I want a winner to hold such a prestigious title. Jmo
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:I know you know football better than that. Allen in his career may have lanter beat in passing by 1200-1500 yards in career but hasn’t won as much as a district championship during his tenure at qb. Also want to add that the guy that keeps him from winning it is lanter, and smith. Everyone can use the excuse he didn’t have the weapons Boyle had, but he had something or else he wouldn’t have put up the numbers he has had. If winning isn’t part of the equation and doesn’t mean something to the voters than I could care less about the award because I want a winner to hold such a prestigious title. Jmo

It’s hard to argue that Allen has even close to the same supporting cast as Boyle’s QB. 3 yrs ago they had an amazing offensive line, to accompany their WRs, along with a D1 RB. I’d love to see what Allen could really do with that type of support around him but we’d never know. But another thing I’d base it on is college coaches, who can break down players way better than I could. If Boyle’s QB is a better player than he should be going to UK over Allen or at least a school that’s equivalent. But that’s my thoughts, and I don’t get a vote so it don’t really matter
Hound05 Wrote:It’s hard to argue that Allen has even close to the same supporting cast as Boyle’s QB. 3 yrs ago they had an amazing offensive line, to accompany their WRs, along with a D1 RB. I’d love to see what Allen could really do with that type of support around him but we’d never know. But another thing I’d base it on is college coaches, who can break down players way better than I could. If Boyle’s QB is a better player than he should be going to UK over Allen or at least a school that’s equivalent. But that’s my thoughts, and I don’t get a vote so it don’t really matter

In recruiting, I can assure you that size trumps production/talent EVERY TIME, especially at the QB position.

And Mr Football isn't voted on by college coaches.
Hound05 Wrote:It’s hard to argue that Allen has even close to the same supporting cast as Boyle’s QB. 3 yrs ago they had an amazing offensive line, to accompany their WRs, along with a D1 RB. I’d love to see what Allen could really do with that type of support around him but we’d never know. But another thing I’d base it on is college coaches, who can break down players way better than I could. If Boyle’s QB is a better player than he should be going to UK over Allen or at least a school that’s equivalent. But that’s my thoughts, and I don’t get a vote so it don’t really matter

It is definitely not my fight to fight, but you have access to every year player stats just as anyone else. With the exception of lanter having two one thousand yard backs one season and Allen having only one the team have similar player stats so I would say he may not of had name brand player like smith being all state around him he did have excellent players. That being said the only difference is wins verses losses and lanter produced wins.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:I know you know football better than that. Allen in his career may have lanter beat in passing by 1200-1500 yards in career but hasn’t won as much as a district championship during his tenure at qb. Also want to add that the guy that keeps him from winning it is lanter, and smith. Everyone can use the excuse he didn’t have the weapons Boyle had, but he had something or else he wouldn’t have put up the numbers he has had. If winning isn’t part of the equation and doesn’t mean something to the voters than I could care less about the award because I want a winner to hold such a prestigious title. Jmo

I personally don’t have a vote in this and have my own opinion who should win, but in what you said Bossdaddy 4115 was true then I believe the last two winners would not have won. Where they the best two high school players those years I think so and again that is just my opinion. I personally don’t believe they (meaning the people who vote for these awards)get it right all the time. Just my opinion but I also don’t get into personal awards because it’s the championshipawards I think mean the most to the teams. Now I know these kids would love that honor and that’s fine but I also believe they would rather be holding that championship trophy on Kroger field in their last high school football game. Have seen these kids after their last high school football game after losing and it’s an emotional time but I have never seen one that emotional after losing a personal award. Sure they might be down and like to have won it but really not the same. To FoSho good luck to the Smith in these award and if he wins it is well deserved and outstanding player.
You have to have name recognition as a Junior to come in and win this thing as a senior. Allen, Meyer, and Smith all had statewide name recognition coming in.
Kentucky commit beau Allen QB from LEXINGTON CATHOLIC will win MR. FOOTBALL. I have predicted the past 10 winners correct.
In complete honesty, it is Allen or Smith from Boyle. And it may come down to who makes it to Lexington.
PHSForever Wrote:In complete honesty, it is Allen or Smith from Boyle. And it may come down to who makes it to Lexington.

I totally agree and imo that’s how it should be, I was including lanter because his accomplishments and that should keep his name in the running. I am not a parent nor a Boyle faithful, a Corbin fan is me but I do think credit is due where it is earned. As for the others like I stated earlier I have no clue. Lanter and smith to me are the front runners cause of overall accomplishments and resume, and not taking anything away from others. To me proven winners should have a priority in such a prestigious award.
I agree Allen will win it but its fun to debate... IMO the best player I've seen this year is Owensboro Catholic's Drew Hartz. Probably the best QB from west Ky since Sindelar, just hasn't had the playoff success or supporting cast to be noticeable to the rest of the state...but for this year alone...he has blown up. (insert strength of schedule whining here Smile
If Allen wins it will he recommit to Nebraska?:devilflam
Willie Turnover Wrote:If Allen wins it will he recommit to Nebraska?:devilflam

First of all that's not how it went down with Robinson. But I will say that that would be a good move for Beau.
PHSForever Wrote:In complete honesty, it is Allen or Smith from Boyle. And it may come down to who makes it to Lexington.

I don’t think it comes down to who makes it to Lexington but maybe it will but I don’t think sports writers care. Now does it make a difference for the coaches award I guess we could see this year if there is a split decision. Does It make a difference if the kid plays both ways and is very good on both sides? I have seen Mayer and smith play and they are both very good on both sides Allen just plays one way. Also this is just best high school player award right? It was said earlier it’s fun to debate though.
blackandgold4life Wrote:I don’t think it comes down to who makes it to Lexington but maybe it will but I don’t think sports writers care. Now does it make a difference for the coaches award I guess we could see this year if there is a split decision. Does It make a difference if the kid plays both ways and is very good on both sides? I have seen Mayer and smith play and they are both very good on both sides Allen just plays one way. Also this is just best high school player award right? It was said earlier it’s fun to debate though.

That’s a good point with looking at does the athlete dominate both sides of the ball instead of just offense. But I don’t think you can hold that against Allen for him only playing offense. I cant really chime in on this debate because I haven’t seen any of these kids play.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:It is definitely not my fight to fight, but you have access to every year player stats just as anyone else. With the exception of lanter having two one thousand yard backs one season and Allen having only one the team have similar player stats so I would say he may not of had name brand player like smith being all state around him he did have excellent players. That being said the only difference is wins verses losses and lanter produced wins.

You’re just looking at wins/losses and stats. If that was the case then half of the Mr footballs wouldn’t be. Some stats don’t show up, especially for Allen. What about his rushing yards? His play making and game changing ability. If stats and W/L’s were the metrics they used to pick, then no one outside of a QB, RB, or maybe WR would ever win. What about the players that have better stats than both of them? What about Corbins QB last year? He had better stats and record than Boyle’s QB, why didn’t he win it? I’m like you it’s not my fight and I don’t get a vote, but to me Allen will win and rightfully so. But looking at head to head matchups doesn’t paint a full picture to me. Let just say for example Daniel cash’s Pville team had to play Boyle this year. More than likely it would be a blowout and Boyle would have far better stats. You going to sit here and tell me Boyles QB is a better overall player than a two year starter at a D1 program? It’s not different with this. I like ya, and enjoy your thoughts, but i just simply disagree with you on this. And that’s fine. We’re both in the same boat in the grand scheme of it all. Take it easy bud.
Patriot1 Wrote:I personally don’t have a vote in this and have my own opinion who should win, but in what you said Bossdaddy 4115 was true then I believe the last two winners would not have won. Where they the best two high school players those years I think so and again that is just my opinion. I personally don’t believe they (meaning the people who vote for these awards)get it right all the time. Just my opinion but I also don’t get into personal awards because it’s the championshipawards I think mean the most to the teams. Now I know these kids would love that honor and that’s fine but I also believe they would rather be holding that championship trophy on Kroger field in their last high school football game. Have seen these kids after their last high school football game after losing and it’s an emotional time but I have never seen one that emotional after losing a personal award. Sure they might be down and like to have won it but really not the same. To FoSho good luck to the Smith in these award and if he wins it is well deserved and outstanding player.
Very well said Pat!
FoSho Wrote:In recruiting, I can assure you that size trumps production/talent EVERY TIME, especially at the QB position.

And Mr Football isn't voted on by college coaches.

Every time? Haha I think there’s a few out there to prove that wrong. Probably a few really good 6”3 QBs sitting at home right now to while their smaller counterparts are playing. Thanks for letting us know college coaches don’t vote on Mr football, I didn’t know that! But I did know they know how to find the best man for the job😘

Sincerely,

Dusty Bonner
blackandgold4life Wrote:I don’t think it comes down to who makes it to Lexington but maybe it will but I don’t think sports writers care. Now does it make a difference for the coaches award I guess we could see this year if there is a split decision. Does It make a difference if the kid plays both ways and is very good on both sides? I have seen Mayer and smith play and they are both very good on both sides Allen just plays one way. Also this is just best high school player award right? It was said earlier it’s fun to debate though.
Good point about both sides. I don’t know if they take it into account. If they do, Smith hands down should win. Either way it’ll come down to those two Mayer and maybe oxedine. It’s fun to speculate about, and even more I’m glad I got witness several of these players do their thing on Friday nights. I love seeing Ky kids playing on saturdays and after this year I think we’ll have more than a few we’ll see.
Hound05 Wrote:You’re just looking at wins/losses and stats. If that was the case then half of the Mr footballs wouldn’t be. Some stats don’t show up, especially for Allen. What about his rushing yards? His play making and game changing ability. If stats and W/L’s were the metrics they used to pick, then no one outside of a QB, RB, or maybe WR would ever win. What about the players that have better stats than both of them? What about Corbins QB last year? He had better stats and record than Boyle’s QB, why didn’t he win it? I’m like you it’s not my fight and I don’t get a vote, but to me Allen will win and rightfully so. But looking at head to head matchups doesn’t paint a full picture to me. Let just say for example Daniel cash’s Pville team had to play Boyle this year. More than likely it would be a blowout and Boyle would have far better stats. You going to sit here and tell me Boyles QB is a better overall player than a two year starter at a D1 program? It’s not different with this. I like ya, and enjoy your thoughts, but i just simply disagree with you on this. And that’s fine. We’re both in the same boat in the grand scheme of it all. Take it easy bud.

I mentioned that he lanter was behind in passing by roughly 12-1500 yards and wouldn’t be close in rushing. How many players other than skill kids have won the honor? Its ok for us to disagree, but my gosh you have to admit he should be in the talks. Also to add anyone that knows me knows my ties to Corbin qb last year, and he had a remarkable season and should have been in the conversation, but I don’t think he should have won cause he proved he could do it for a season not a career. I know you would agree with me that he would have had an amazing career at qb and this conversation would be different but he didn’t get the chance. And comparing to cash is crazy comparison we are talking about guys who faced each other multiple times at like positions. Just a question who usually won the mvp manning or Brady and who won it all in the years they won it? I can assure you no hard feelings, but I will give credit where it is due.
Sometimes I wonder how a grown man could hold a grudge on a kid? Amazing.

I also don't know how a D lineman and a linebacker that played QB FIVE YEARS AGO could have gotten in this conversation?

Smh
I think you’ve answered that question for us 😏
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:I mentioned that he lanter was behind in passing by roughly 12-1500 yards and wouldn’t be close in rushing. How many players other than skill kids have won the honor? Its ok for us to disagree, but my gosh you have to admit he should be in the talks. Also to add anyone that knows me knows my ties to Corbin qb last year, and he had a remarkable season and should have been in the conversation, but I don’t think he should have won cause he proved he could do it for a season not a career. I know you would agree with me that he would have had an amazing career at qb and this conversation would be different but he didn’t get the chance. And comparing to cash is crazy comparison we are talking about guys who faced each other multiple times at like positions. Just a question who usually won the mvp manning or Brady and who won it all in the years they won it? I can assure you no hard feelings, but I will give credit where it is due.
I think there were several kids outside of skill kids that should and have won that won that honor. I never said Boyle’s QB shouldn’t be in the “talks”. I just said Allen in my view, should win it. That’s taking nothing away from other kids who’ve had stellar seasons. My next question is, so voters take into account previous years when voting? I kind of think if they are only supposed to do it for one years worth, they at least subconsciously do it for their career, otherwise Mr. Estep should have been a finalist.
Hound05 Wrote:Every time? Haha I think there’s a few out there to prove that wrong. Probably a few really good 6”3 QBs sitting at home right now to while their smaller counterparts are playing. Thanks for letting us know college coaches don’t vote on Mr football, I didn’t know that! But I did know they know how to find the best man for the job😘

Sincerely,

Dusty Bonner

You are the one that thinks college offers dictate who deserves Mr Football. I was just making sure you understood who does the voting.

Dusty Bonner was 6'2" 220 lbs.

A better example is Baker Mayfield who was a walkon at Texas Tech and Oklahoma. While only 6' he was 200 lbs and was not highly recruited. He worked his way up and ended up doing some remarkable things if you'll recall.

Now if you're being honest wouldn't you say that some coaches over looked Baker in the recruiting process? You haven't been very honest in your assessment of some things on this forum so I'm just checking.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure that the Boyle Co QB would have more yards in his career than Allen had he thrown the ball as many times. But some things get sacrificed in the name of TEAM and WINS and CHAMPIONSHIPS.
Hound05 Wrote:I think there were several kids outside of skill kids that should and have won that won that honor. I never said Boyle’s QB shouldn’t be in the “talks”. I just said Allen in my view, should win it. That’s taking nothing away from other kids who’ve had stellar seasons. My next question is, so voters take into account previous years when voting? I kind of think if they are only supposed to do it for one years worth, they at least subconsciously do it for their career, otherwise Mr. Estep should have been a finalist.

Reese Smith is the best high school football player in KY. He has the awards and stats to back that up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4