Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky Mr. Football talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
FoSho Wrote:Reese Smith is the best high school football player in KY. He has the awards and stats to back that up.
Yea I could agree he is one of them if not the best.
Hound05 Wrote:I think there were several kids outside of skill kids that should and have won that won that honor. I never said Boyle’s QB shouldn’t be in the “talks”. I just said Allen in my view, should win it. That’s taking nothing away from other kids who’ve had stellar seasons. My next question is, so voters take into account previous years when voting? I kind of think if they are only supposed to do it for one years worth, they at least subconsciously do it for their career, otherwise Mr. Estep should have been a finalist.

Absolutely Estep was at the top hands down. Had amazing numbers and only played half of 7 games and 4 with one leg hurt. Without a doubt one of the best.
FoSho Wrote:You are the one that thinks college offers dictate who deserves Mr Football. I was just making sure you understood who does the voting.

Dusty Bonner was 6'2" 220 lbs.

A better example is Baker Mayfield who was a walkon at Texas Tech and Oklahoma. While only 6' he was 200 lbs and was not highly recruited. He worked his way up and ended up doing some remarkable things if you'll recall.

Now if you're being honest wouldn't you say that some coaches over looked Baker in the recruiting process? You haven't been very honest in your assessment of some things on this forum so I'm just checking.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure that the Boyle Co QB would have more yards in his career than Allen had he thrown the ball as many times. But some things get sacrificed in the name of TEAM and WINS and CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I never said a college offer dictates it? Please show me where I said that. I said people who do know football better than me and YOU, talking about judging a player.

A better example is comparing him to a Heisman Trophy winner? See how that works when you take and put words in people’s mouth.

Ok I’m done with this conversation as I’ve said it’s become circular. Your OPINION DOESNT MATTER. MY OPINION DOESNT MATTER. once again voting will come down to those three and deservingly so.
I keep hearing all this talk about Mr. Football so I think I'll join the party! I said this very thing in the Boyle County/Anderson County thread:

I keep hearing all y'all debate on who should win Mr. Football, my vote is for Big Wilson Kelly. Why not? Why can't it be one of the big guys? Show me where it says that Mr. Football has to come from the "sexy" skill positions. I think it's about time one of the "Big Hawgs" gets some glory. Why not start with #73 from Boyle County? This guy is as dominant at the line of scrimmage as anyone I've seen. We keep talking about the best players at their position being mentioned for this award but never does the big guys get any love. Why is this? Am I way off base here or do I have a legitimate point?
Hound05 Wrote:I never said a college offer dictates it? Please show me where I said that. I said people who do know football better than me and YOU, talking about judging a player.

A better example is comparing him to a Heisman Trophy winner? See how that works when you take and put words in people’s mouth.

Ok I’m done with this conversation as I’ve said it’s become circular. Your OPINION DOESNT MATTER. MY OPINION DOESNT MATTER. once again voting will come down to those three and deservingly so.

You brought up Dusty Bonner as a "small QB" in DI. I brought up Baker Mayfield as the ultimate recruiting oversight in history. Trust me when I tell you that it happens ALL THE TIME.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I keep hearing all this talk about Mr. Football so I think I'll join the party! I said this very thing in the Boyle County/Anderson County thread:

I keep hearing all y'all debate on who should win Mr. Football, my vote is for Big Wilson Kelly. Why not? Why can't it be one of the big guys? Show me where it says that Mr. Football has to come from the "sexy" skill positions. I think it's about time one of the "Big Hawgs" gets some glory. Why not start with #73 from Boyle County? This guy is as dominant at the line of scrimmage as anyone I've seen. We keep talking about the best players at their position being mentioned for this award but never does the big guys get any love. Why is this? Am I way off base here or do I have a legitimate point?
Kelly Wilson is a game changer for sure! Has to be accounted for every snap! And I agree with ya i love seeing someone “outside the norm of what’s sexy” win it. People place to much emphasis on stats. Some stats can’t be measured. Which is why my vote would be for Allen, but smith and Mayer both would deserve it. But I brought up Oxedine, as well. I’ve not seen as much of him as I have k. Wilson but his highlights are amazing.

Btw, don’t be so humble over there around the pond. I’ve seen some damn good lineman from there in the last couple of years. Probably one of the best individual lineman I’ve seen in my time.
FoSho Wrote:You brought up Dusty Bonner as a "small QB" in DI. I brought up Baker Mayfield as the ultimate recruiting oversight in history. Trust me when I tell you that it happens ALL THE TIME.

Dusty Bonner was 6 ft his senior year. He finished his college career as 6”2 240lbs.........
Hound05 Wrote:Kelly Wilson is a game changer for sure! Has to be accounted for every snap! And I agree with ya i love seeing someone “outside the norm of what’s sexy” win it. People place to much emphasis on stats. Some stats can’t be measured. Which is why my vote would be for Allen, but smith and Mayer both would deserve it. But I brought up Oxedine, as well. I’ve not seen as much of him as I have k. Wilson but his highlights are amazing.

Btw, don’t be so humble over there around the pond. I’ve seen some damn good lineman from there in the last couple of years. Probably one of the best individual lineman I’ve seen in my time.

We've had some pretty good ones for sure. But I heard, and it's just what I heard, that Wilson Kelly had like 9 tackles and 7 sacks against Anderson last night. That's why I brought his name up. My God, 7 sacks! Unreal!
#55PirateFan Wrote:We've had some pretty good ones for sure. But I heard, and it's just what I heard, that Wilson Kelly had like 9 tackles and 7 sacks against Anderson last night. That's why I brought his name up. My God, 7 sacks! Unreal!

Bad thing is, you know he was probably being double teamed during it all as well. I agree with you though, I’ve always been a defensive guy, if they can’t score, they can’t win! Let Mr. football start reflecting that as well.

Heard Dixon looked amazing the other night. He’ll be Mr. football before he leaves Hs.
Hound05 Wrote:Bad thing is, you know he was probably being double teamed during it all as well. I agree with you though, I’ve always been a defensive guy, if they can’t score, they can’t win! Let Mr. football start reflecting that as well.

Heard Dixon looked amazing the other night. He’ll be Mr. football before he leaves Hs.

I didnt see the game but I just about bet he was double teamed. You have to double team a player like Wilson Kelly! Lol! Dixon looked great last night. We're a different team without him for sure. Just glad he's finally back.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I didnt see the game but I just about bet he was double teamed. You have to double team a player like Wilson Kelly! Lol! Dixon looked great last night. We're a different team without him for sure. Just glad he's finally back.

Belfry sure has been riddled with the injury bug the last few years. Hopefully they can shake it off and Bring another ring back to the pond. With Dixon back and hopefully 100% very few teams will be able to slow them down.
adopted purple Wrote:Mayer CovCath.

Did not impress me. Only saw him once but was lazy player did not do much.
sstack Wrote:Did not impress me. Only saw him once but was lazy player did not do much.

It will be interesting to see how that transitions at Notre Dame next year.
Allen looks good between mediocre team and bottom of the barrel teams. Boyle put a running clock. But put him against some the the best defensive teams and he get raddled. Even Bourbon had some good hits on him and he came to the sideline looking scared. I think Boyle’s two guy look pretty tough. I can tell that the Refs are trying to protect Allen also. So more than likely they already have him in as Mr. Football.
plantmanky Wrote:It will be interesting to see how that transitions at Notre Dame next year.

When you get to that level only two ways to go. Either you take it up a notch or you stand on the sidelines and watch.
Cledog30 Wrote:Allen looks good between mediocre team and bottom of the barrel teams. Boyle put a running clock. But put him against some the the best defensive teams and he get raddled. Even Bourbon had some good hits on him and he came to the sideline looking scared. I think Boyle’s two guy look pretty tough. I can tell that the Refs are trying to protect Allen also. So more than likely they already have him in as Mr. Football.

Allen looked pretty good vs Cov Cath and I would say they are not mediocre.
sstack Wrote:Did not impress me. Only saw him once but was lazy player did not do much.

Ummmm.....what number were you watching?!? I don’t think you quite understand what is asked of Mayer. There is absolutely nothing remotely lazy about him and I’m afraid you are sorely mistaken. I’m assuming you base your assessment on his defensive game? Do you really understand his defensive keys and responsibility? Lazy? That’s definitely a first.
The mr football award is silly and pointless. There is no set criteria and the vote allotment is ridiculous. The fact that rondale Moore didn’t win this “prestigious award” perfectly illustrates that it is a worthless political popularity contest. No thanks.
Woodsman Wrote:Ummmm.....what number were you watching?!? I don’t think you quite understand what is asked of Mayer. There is absolutely nothing remotely lazy about him and I’m afraid you are sorely mistaken. I’m assuming you base your assessment on his defensive game? Do you really understand his defensive keys and responsibility? Lazy? That’s definitely a first.

Yes talking about on defense. Even his own fans were yelling at him during the game “do something out there” “ stop standing around and make a play “ among other things I heard. He stood in one place most of time on D. On offense felt he was very under used in the game (Not his fault) In a rematch would expect a heave dose of him.
Woodsman Wrote:The mr football award is silly and pointless. There is no set criteria and the vote allotment is ridiculous. The fact that rondale Moore didn’t win this “prestigious award” perfectly illustrates that it is a worthless political popularity contest. No thanks.

Very very good point! I won’t say it’s worthless though, because it’s still an honor to those kids and their hard work, so I won’t take that away from them. But the rest is pretty spot on.
Woodsman Wrote:The mr football award is silly and pointless. There is no set criteria and the vote allotment is ridiculous. The fact that rondale Moore didn’t win this “prestigious award” perfectly illustrates that it is a worthless political popularity contest. No thanks.

Isn’t there 2 awards now? I thought I seen last year that there was a coaches award and an AP award. I would think the coaches would do a better job of it not being political but who knows this day and age.
blackandgold4life Wrote:Isn’t there 2 awards now? I thought I seen last year that there was a coaches award and an AP award. I would think the coaches would do a better job of it not being political but who knows this day and age.

Yes, there are two awards now and just so you know how ridiculous and out of touch the AP Poll is...not a single Boyle Co player was on ANY of the AP All-State Teams....NONE (not even Honorable Mention). Contrast that with the Coaches Poll and there were FOUR (Smith, Kelly, Roller and Lanter).
blackandgold4life Wrote:Isn’t there 2 awards now? I thought I seen last year that there was a coaches award and an AP award. I would think the coaches would do a better job of it not being political but who knows this day and age.

Good point. I have to assume that they created the coach’s award because of the rondale Moore mistake.
Woodsman Wrote:Good point. I have to assume that they created the coach’s award because of the rondale Moore mistake.

I’d be in favor of taking the AP votes away and giving them to the coaches, in place of having two awards. There are several players worth the honor, but not having Reece smith as even an honorable mention is almost ridiculous.
Woodsman Wrote:Good point. I have to assume that they created the coach’s award because of the rondale Moore mistake.

I think the Rondale Moore thing comes down to the criteria not being specific, or even KNOWN. It appeared that VanCleave had the best career. Moore had the best Senior season.

It's also ridiculous that Mr Football only gets a certificate and nothing else. No trophy, no banquet....NOTHING.
FoSho Wrote:Yes, there are two awards now and just so you know how ridiculous and out of touch the AP Poll is...not a single Boyle Co player was on ANY of the AP All-State Teams....NONE (not even Honorable Mention). Contrast that with the Coaches Poll and there were FOUR (Smith, Kelly, Roller and Lanter).

Did somebody have a vendetta against Boyle county?
blackandgold4life Wrote:Did somebody have a vendetta against Boyle county?

I thought there were a couple if not more than a few AP voters in that area? Admiral fans perhaps? Being there close to Lex you’d think their name would be out there....
blackandgold4life Wrote:Did somebody have a vendetta against Boyle county?

The Advocate Mesenger in Danville no longer participates in the AP voting. And obviously others are too lazy to do a little research.
FoSho Wrote:Yes, there are two awards now and just so you know how ridiculous and out of touch the AP Poll is...not a single Boyle Co player was on ANY of the AP All-State Teams....NONE (not even Honorable Mention). Contrast that with the Coaches Poll and there were FOUR (Smith, Kelly, Roller and Lanter).

I agree with about everything you said here my brother. It was a flat out shame that no kid from Boyle County was selected anywhere on the AP All State list. To me, that took away some credibility. And I said so when the lists came out a few months back.

One problem I have with the Coaches Poll is that my boy wasn't no where to be found on their list either. I think you know me well enough by now to know that I dont think that Ethan is the best and am not the type to give a kid credit if he doesn't deserve it. And I'll go ahead and say it, I don't think Ethan is close to being the best Offensive Lineman in the State but I don't think he's terrible either and not good enough to be somewhere on their list. Maybe he's not, but deep down inside I think he is.

The AP had him on their 2nd Team but on the Coaches Poll, he was no where to be found. But, like I said, I agree that it was a shame no player from the Rebels made the AP team. Makes you wonder just exactly what both polls are looking for. One would think, if they both knew what we think they should, both Polls should damn near mirror each other. But that's just my opinion.
#55PirateFan Wrote:I agree with about everything you said here my brother. It was a flat out shame that no kid from Boyle County was selected anywhere on the AP All State list. To me, that took away some credibility. And I said so when the lists came out a few months back.

One problem I have with the Coaches Poll is that my boy wasn't no where to be found on their list either. I think you know me well enough by now to know that I dont think that Ethan is the best and am not the type to give a kid credit if he doesn't deserve it. And I'll go ahead and say it, I don't think Ethan is close to being the best Offensive Lineman in the State but I don't think he's terrible either and not good enough to be somewhere on their list. Maybe he's not, but deep down inside I think he is.

The AP had him on their 2nd Team but on the Coaches Poll, he was no where to be found. But, like I said, I agree that it was a shame no player from the Rebels made the AP team. Makes you wonder just exactly what both polls are looking for. One would think, if they both knew what we think they should, both Polls should damn near mirror each other. But that's just my opinion.

Nobody in their right mind would believe that Ethan Wolford doesn't belong on the All-State Team no matter who is doing the voting! I hear ya......and it's preposterous that he wasn't on it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4