Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky Mr. Football talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
FoSho Wrote:Nobody in their right mind would believe that Ethan Wolford doesn't belong on the All-State Team no matter who is doing the voting! I hear ya......and it's preposterous that he wasn't on it.

Thanks brother, I appreciate that. I saw where you guys started talking about the All State teams and just wanted to comment.

Wasn't trying to step on any toes or make anyone mad or think I was just trying to get Ethan something he didn't deserve. I usually try not to voice my opinion on stuff like this because he does play football. And I usually don't get mad or frustrated if he doesn't get picked for something but out of all the things that he's received or didn't receive, this one bothered me the most. Don't know why, but it really got to me for some reason.

Maybe he'll be recognized this year by the Coaches. But if he doesn't, then we'll be happy and blessed for all the things he has got.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Thanks brother, I appreciate that. I saw where you guys started talking about the All State teams and just wanted to comment.

Wasn't trying to step on any toes or make anyone mad or think I was just trying to get Ethan something he didn't deserve. I usually try not to voice my opinion on stuff like this because he does play football. And I usually don't get mad or frustrated if he doesn't get picked for something but out of all the things that he's received or didn't receive, this one bothered me the most. Don't know why, but it really got to me for some reason.

Maybe he'll be recognized this year by the Coaches. But if he doesn't, then we'll be happy and blessed for all the things he has got.

You know I understand.

Ethan is a DUDE. A guy you ALWAYS want on your team. Someone you KNOW is going to do his job and hold you to doing yours. If he can walk on the field, he's gunna have your back.

He's the perfect teammate IMO.
Michael Mayer is the best football player in the state. He will be a force at Notre Dame and we will see him playing on Sundays.

However Reese Smith is just as deserving for Mr Football in my eyes. He has a better high school legacy than Mayer or Allen. But won’t be as good at the next level.

This is probably the hardest Mr Football race I can think of in a long time.
Texans_99 Wrote:Michael Mayer is the best football player in the state. He will be a force at Notre Dame and we will see him playing on Sundays.

However Reese Smith is just as deserving for Mr Football in my eyes. He has a better high school legacy than Mayer or Allen. But won’t be as good at the next level.

The best high school player based upon stats and awards is Reese Smith.

And it may be your opinion that Mayer will have a better college/pro career than Smith but I can tell you that from what I've heard the staff at WVU felt like Smith would have started in the slot this season as a true freshman. What Mayer does at ND not only is irrelevant it has nothing to do with Mr Football (see Rondale Moore).

Based upon what we know (football played) Smith deserves Mr Football. Allstate on both sides of the ball and the complete domination of a state title game is all the proof I need.
Espn lists Mayer as the number 1 player in the state. I’d say he’s been doing something right.....but he won’t win the mr football award. Beau Allen is a good recipient.
Woodsman Wrote:Espn lists Mayer as the number 1 player in the state. I’d say he’s been doing something right.....but he won’t win the mr football award. Beau Allen is a good recipient.

....that would be a shame considering he's not the most deserving.
This is my opinion, and it may not mean squat, but here's my opinion on how it should work.

I'm a diehard Notre Dame football fan. There isn't any who love the Irish more, that's a fact! With that said, I'm cheering for the kid from Covington Catholic.

But, even if ESPN has him the #1 player in the state doesnt mean he's the best all around high school football player in the state. That just means that they see him as having the best tangible's and maybe the most upside of any player in the state at the next level and beyond. They go by a kids size, potential, his combine numbers, ability and so in. That's how they get their rankings. And I'm sure they factor in what offers these kids get as well. With him having been offered, and already committed, to ND has to help. And whether some of you agree or not, ND is a hell of alot more of a prestigious University than West Virginia or Kentucky. The Irish is one of the most prestigious schools in all the land.

I said all that to say this. Mr. Football is an award that is based on what you are doing/have done in your high school career. Throw all that other s#$t out the window. When you do that, when you just go by what these kids have done for four years at the high school level then, IMO, there is no debate. It's not one of the hardest Mr. Football races. It becomes one of the easiest. If they do that then there's only one clear cut favorite. And that's Reese Smith from Boyle County.

I'm not picking sides or trying to argue guys. Like I said, you know who I'd like to see get it, the Irish commit. But to me the most deserving is the kid from Boyle County. And in my honest opinion, Allen isn't even in the top 2 discussion. Maybe not even in the top 3
Texans_99 Wrote:Michael Mayer is the best football player in the state. He will be a force at Notre Dame and we will see him playing on Sundays.

Although it shouldn’t have anything to do with the voting, some will look at that to make a decision. I too agree with you about the years to come. Mayer will probably be playing somewhere on sundays. He was blessed with the body size, and the talent to do so. Smith has the talent as well, IMO just not the size, no fault of his own. Both will probably have good careers in college if not great, but nationally, receivers like smith aren’t extremely rare. Taking nothing away from him, because you’d be an idiot to say he’s not an amazing athlete, but I’d say some voters will try to predict what the future will hold when voting. Not all, obviously, but probably enough to split the votes up and allow Allen to win it.
Hound05 Wrote:Although it shouldn’t have anything to do with the voting, some will look at that to make a decision. I too agree with you about the years to come. Mayer will probably be playing somewhere on sundays. He was blessed with the body size, and the talent to do so. Smith has the talent as well, IMO just not the size, no fault of his own. Both will probably have good careers in college if not great, but nationally, receivers like smith aren’t extremely rare. Taking nothing away from him, because you’d be an idiot to say he’s not an amazing athlete, but I’d say some voters will try to predict what the future will hold when voting. Not all, obviously, but probably enough to split the votes up and allow Allen to win it.

Unfortunately Hound, I think you are correct and this will be how its played out in the end with the two most deserving not even winning it.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Unfortunately Hound, I think you are correct and this will be how its played out in the end with the two most deserving not even winning it.

If Allen wins it it's because he's a UK commit. That's not a knock on the kid but he's never been past the second round of the playoffs and never dominated a game on both sides of the ball.

Never won ANY championship.

Just racked up yards and stats playing all game every game and committed to UK. Again not a knock on the kid because he's a great high school QB with a bright future...just not the best high school football player in KY.
FoSho Wrote:If Allen wins it it's because he's a UK commit. That's not a knock on the kid but he's never been past the second round of the playoffs and never dominated a game on both sides of the ball.

Never won ANY championship.

Just racked up yards and stats playing all game every game and committed to UK. Again not a knock on the kid because he's a great high school QB with a bright future...just not the best high school football player in KY.

Totally agree!
#55PirateFan Wrote:This is my opinion, and it may not mean squat, but here's my opinion on how it should work.

I'm a diehard Notre Dame football fan. There isn't any who love the Irish more, that's a fact! With that said, I'm cheering for the kid from Covington Catholic.

But, even if ESPN has him the #1 player in the state doesnt mean he's the best all around high school football player in the state. That just means that they see him as having the best tangible's and maybe the most upside of any player in the state at the next level and beyond. They go by a kids size, potential, his combine numbers, ability and so in. That's how they get their rankings. And I'm sure they factor in what offers these kids get as well. With him having been offered, and already committed, to ND has to help. And whether some of you agree or not, ND is a hell of alot more of a prestigious University than West Virginia or Kentucky. The Irish is one of the most prestigious schools in all the land.

I said all that to say this. Mr. Football is an award that is based on what you are doing/have done in your high school career. Throw all that other s#$t out the window. When you do that, when you just go by what these kids have done for four years at the high school level then, IMO, there is no debate. It's not one of the hardest Mr. Football races. It becomes one of the easiest. If they do that then there's only one clear cut favorite. And that's Reese Smith from Boyle County.

I'm not picking sides or trying to argue guys. Like I said, you know who I'd like to see get it, the Irish commit. But to me the most deserving is the kid from Boyle County. And in my honest opinion, Allen isn't even in the top 2 discussion. Maybe not even in the top 3

I’m really curious as to what Reese smith has done that Micheal Mayer hasn’t? He’s already won a state championship as a huge and impactful two way starter. He’s played a huge role in leading his team to a repeat performance...albeit a losing effort. He is currently leading his team into the playoffs with hopes of competing in a third. He’s all state offense and defense. There’s not one position on the field he can’t play. He’s a generational talent playing for a school who’s strength of schedule is much stronger than Boyle county’s. Reese smith is obviously good, but for anyone to suggest he is a better player or more deserving is clearly biased. If this decision is “easy” it’s because you have allegiance to one school or the other....or you simply haven’t seen both kids play. Mayer is not going to win the award and I highly doubt he cares. I’m pretty sure he only has one goal right now. I hope he gets that one.
Woodsman Wrote:I’m really curious as to what Reese smith has done that Micheal Mayer hasn’t? He’s already won a state championship as a huge and impactful two way starter. He’s played a huge role in leading his team to a repeat performance...albeit a losing effort. He is currently leading his team into the playoffs with hopes of competing in a third. He’s all state offense and defense. There’s not one position on the field he can’t play. He’s a generational talent playing for a school who’s strength of schedule is much stronger than Boyle county’s. Reese smith is obviously good, but for anyone to suggest he is a better player or more deserving is clearly biased. If this decision is “easy” it’s because you have allegiance to one school or the other....or you simply haven’t seen both kids play. Mayer is not going to win the award and I highly doubt he cares. I’m pretty sure he only has one goal right now. I hope he gets that one.

Obviously you just responded and didn't read my entire post. Because if you did you would know I wasn't being "bias" at all. I said in my post I was cheering for Mayer to win the award.

And yes, in my opinion, I think this should be an easy choice. And not one time did I say that Mayer didn't already have a championship or didn't have impressive numbers and an outstanding career, because he's had a stellar career, I just think Smith has had a better one.

And before you get mad at me, remember, this is a discussion site and it's just what I think. Which doesn't mean a hill of beans to anyone but myself.
Go watch the 2017 State Title Games of each kid and then tell which was more impactful in their respective game.

Smith plays half of nearly every game he plays because of running clock and he still has better numbers than Mayer.

No offense to the CC player, he's a stud. He just hasn't outplayed the BC kid in any season.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Obviously you just responded and didn't read my entire post. Because if you did you would know I wasn't being "bias" at all. I said in my post I was cheering for Mayer to win the award.

And yes, in my opinion, I think this should be an easy choice. And not one time did I say that Mayer didn't already have a championship or didn't have impressive numbers and an outstanding career, because he's had a stellar career, I just think Smith has had a better one.

And before you get mad at me, remember, this is a discussion site and it's just what I think. Which doesn't mean a hill of beans to anyone but myself.
Yeah I’m not mad at all. Promise. This is the inner webs and has absolutely no bearing on my life. Just engaging in the conversation.
FoSho Wrote:Go watch the 2017 State Title Games of each kid and then tell which was more impactful in their respective game.

Smith plays half of nearly every game he plays because of running clock and he still has better numbers than Mayer.

No offense to the CC player, he's a stud. He just hasn't outplayed the BC kid in any season.

I think Cov cath has had running clocks in all but 3 maybe 4 games in the last three years. Mayer has also averaged only playing a half in each game. Smith may have better reception numbers but he plays for a different school, with different opponents, and in a completely different offensive system. You have to look at everything in totality.
Woodsman Wrote:I think Cov cath has had running clocks in all but 3 maybe 4 games in the last three years. Mayer has also averaged only playing a half in each game. Smith may have better reception numbers but he plays for a different school, with different opponents, and in a completely different offensive system. You have to look at everything in totality.

No you don't. You look at their high school careers. All you can go by our stats and numbers and things like that. Based upon all of those and the awards that have been given for high school football.

Watch the 2017 title games. I've watched both and there is no comparison as to which kid made the bigger impact.

That alone should give you an idea on which kid makes the bigger impact in a game. And it was the biggest stage.

But there's no reason to discuss this any further because neither of us are going to change our mind. They are both great football players and it's time to give up the fight because neither of us have a vote anyway.
Here’s my question about what to look at, how does any of us know? We can say look at stats and numbers, look at his HS career, look at his single season, look at if he’ll make it in the future. There is no set criteria to my knowledge. So all of us arguing what to look at is an invalid point. I think voters will look at the possibility of them being a pro or star in college, but it shouldn’t affect it at all, but it still probably happens. A single game, that really shouldn’t have an impact either, someone could find a game they did horrible in. I’ve stated what i “think” should be looked at and it goes beyond numbers to impact, but my point doesn’t matter either. I’ve said it before, and FoSho just said it, we don’t have a vote. We also don’t have anything to judge by other than our opinions, none of us have an insiders view of it. This convo has become circular by everyone including myself. There are SEVERAL kids worthy of this title. One will get it. Nothing we say on here will change it. You guys and gals have a good one! I’m out🤘🏻
This has been an enjoyable read and I mean that! Great debate going on with valid points and nobody getting TOO bent out of shape. The one constant is that the writers are the ones voting and so who have they seen play and who they haven’t seen play comes into factor. One thing we do know is it should be about the best high school player not what he is projected to be or whatever just what he has done as a HIGH SCHOOL player. We also know that doesn’t always happen but I think we can agree these young men have been fun to watch and wish them the best!
I think we should have a BGR player of the year. We continue to have this debate for like we are and at the end of the year we cut the list to the top 4-5 everyone seems to agree on and then we have a vote for #1.

Like many of you all have stated, we don’t have a say and the writers are the only ones that truly matter. But the people debating this in this forum are more than qualified and I guarantee know about about high school football as much as anyone else.
IMO-Here are my Top 5 Football Players

1. Reese Smith - Boyle County/offense/defense - West Virginia Commit
2. Michael Mayer- Covington Catholic/offense/defense- Notre Dame Commit
3. Beau Allen- Lexington Catholic/offense- KY Commit
4. Jeriah Hightower- Madisonville NH/offense/defense- Few- FCS offers
5. Wilson Kelly- Boyle County/offense/defense- Middle Tennessee- Commit

Numerous kids you can argue based on this or that,but these kids are who I feel are the best Football players in KY. Four out of the 5 are playing at the FBS level on good teams. You don't play at that level unless you can do a lot of things well. Its just a shame to have that many great players in the 2020 class (its loaded) and see the majority of them going out of State especially Parks and probably Oxendine.. Just my thoughts.
Spud6 Wrote:I think we should have a BGR player of the year. We continue to have this debate for like we are and at the end of the year we cut the list to the top 4-5 everyone seems to agree on and then we have a vote for #1.

Like many of you all have stated, we don’t have a say and the writers are the only ones that truly matter. But the people debating this in this forum are more than qualified and I guarantee know about about high school football as much as anyone else.

You know that’s a very good idea. Maybe, if we could get the logistics worked out. Get enough people to contribute just a few dollars, and if there’s enough of us doing so, we could get the kid a plaque or something. Hell it would have to be better than the certificates the KHSAA hands out. If anyone would be interested in doing so.

It might not be as big of an honor as winning the KHSAA one, but at least they’d have something to cherish and be proud of. Heck they could even say they were the “peoples player” haha. To me that’s more than the opinion of a bunch of writers.....
Hound05 Wrote:You know that’s a very good idea. Maybe, if we could get the logistics worked out. Get enough people to contribute just a few dollars, and if there’s enough of us doing so, we could get the kid a plaque or something. Hell it would have to be better than the certificates the KHSAA hands out. If anyone would be interested in doing so.

It might not be as big of an honor as winning the KHSAA one, but at least they’d have something to cherish and be proud of. Heck they could even say they were the “peoples player” haha. To me that’s more than the opinion of a bunch of writers.....

You just came up with the awards name.

The BlueGrassRivals Peoples Player. I like the ring of that. I’m all in
Surely someone could set it up where we could donate a few buck to get the kid some kind of plaque or something. They aren’t expensive at all. I think the biggest problem would be getting in contact with the player and getting it to him. And even that’s not too hard. I’m all in!
Hound05 Wrote:Surely someone could set it up where we could donate a few buck to get the kid some kind of plaque or something. They aren’t expensive at all. I think the biggest problem would be getting in contact with the player and getting it to him. And even that’s not too hard. I’m all in!

Sending the package wouldn’t be hard. My mother is a village post office out of her store. We’d just have to get the information somehow.
Sounds good. I think one thing we’d have to get under control is people creating maybe “dummy” accounts to vote more, I know you can track IPs but it’s not hard to get an IPVN or use a different network. But I’m sure we or the mods could come up with a solution. Granny ain’t fooling nobody, I know she’s a computer wiz!!
Hound05 Wrote:Sounds good. I think one thing we’d have to get under control is people creating maybe “dummy” accounts to vote more, I know you can track IPs but it’s not hard to get an IPVN or use a different network. But I’m sure we or the mods could come up with a solution. Granny ain’t fooling nobody, I know she’s a computer wiz!!

Yeah. We can try and keep under control.
FoSho kills me. We ALL know that Smith is a GREAT football player! We get it man, but you have to recognize that there are other GREAT high school players in the state as well. Beau Allen will win Mr. Football and there is no way anyone on this thread can honestly say that he doesn't deserve it or isn't worthy. All of the candidates that are listed are more than worthy. It's that simple. I understand pulling for your guy, I really do. If I had a guy on my team that was in the running, I would do the same thing. BUT, I would not discredit any other poster for saying the same about another kid that you do about Smith.
Now we have talked about a lot of players but another one is the receiver from Male, now he is behind Smith in receptions and yards. But he also won a state championship last year and probably this year, he is a UK commit and he is from Louisville which helps. They also play a tough schedule. Now FoSho you know I want Jackson Hensley to win it but if he don’t I love him just the same. Good luck to all these young men all are great athletes and cases can be made for them all, just glad I am not one of the people who have to make that decision.
Pages: 1 2 3 4