Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New bill would merge independent and county districts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
if the proposed bill is passed all county and independent schools would be merged into 55 districts and abolish existing boards of education.

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/news/ne...5d25c.html
What are your thoughts on this ?
Will never happen. They have talked and tried before. Be the biggest long shot since placing and winning a million dollars on the browns winning the super bowl This year.
Football_Maniac Wrote:Will never happen. They have talked and tried before. Be the biggest long shot since placing and winning a million dollars on the browns winning the super bowl This year.

I don't expect it to happen either, but it's getting a lot of people's dander up. :biggrin:
Honestly it will get to a point that these counties cannot support 2 to 3 districts in one county. Especially with the governor’s proposed budget cuts.
I don't see the bill ever passing. It would kill off to many jobs of our state's aristocracy.
Westside Wrote:I don't see the bill ever passing. It would kill off to many jobs of our state's aristocracy.
Does it have them squirming? :biggrin:
pjdoug Wrote:Does it have them squirming? :biggrin:

I doubt it, but I hope so.
Westside Wrote:I doubt, it but I hope so.

same here Confusednicker:
5A football would never be the same. 😎🏈

#titletown #admirals #rebels #united 😳
FoSho Wrote:5A football would never be the same. 😎🏈

#titletown #admirals #rebels #united 😳

:biglmao:
If kids from different county school's can't get along in seperate schools or on the field/court, what makes them think they can get along in the same SCHOOL? Toby Herld is a moron
Schools and kids do not change. One Super and Board for each region. Bell Whitley and Knox. Great idea.
Just a bill to deflect or draw attention away from the other issues involving funding and retirement. Just a old political trick. It will never happen.
Strikeout King Wrote:If kids from different county school's can't get along in seperate schools or on the field/court, what makes them think they can get along in the same SCHOOL? Toby Herld is a moron

After reading that he wants to cut 120 counties down to 54 I can't disagree Confusednicker:
AnswertheBell Wrote:Schools and kids do not change. One Super and Board for each region. Bell Whitley and Knox. Great idea.

I can see that some changes could be made, but these guys are trying to take things to the extreme.
You have a better chance flying the space shuttle to Mars than this Bill getting out of committee.
If i had to send a kid to greenup or russell i would home school!
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:If i had to send a kid to greenup or russell i would home school!
We talking academics or athletics?
Some version of this idea will happen. The cuts to education are not sustainable if they happen and it will impact everything. Small districts can't tax the heck out of everyone to compensate for drop in population and consolidating those school districts/boards is a way to help lessen the blow. I do not expect there to be 55 districts but I do think something of this nature will be allowed for districts to do on there own. Not mandated however.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:If i had to send a kid to greenup or russell i would home school!

This made me lol
One thing I can see is, if a county has two and three schools in it, then merge those together to make one high school unless the county is the size of Lex, Louisville, Pikeville, Bowling Green. No sense in small/middle sized counties having 2 and 3 high schools in it.
Strikeout King Wrote:One thing I can see is, if a county has two and three schools in it, then merge those together to make one high school unless the county is the size of Lex, Louisville, Pikeville, Bowling Green. No sense in small/middle sized counties having 2 and 3 high schools in it.

Budget shortfalls and cuts are not going away. The next 10 years will see major changes in the number of small schools that exist in counties where there are multiple schools. Just start at the bottom and work up and you will see quickly. Jenkins, Buckhorn, Betsy Layne, Fairview, Jackson City, etc will roll into the larger County school. May not be the best thing and for sure won’t be the desired outcome but it’s going to happen like it or not.
Strikeout King Wrote:One thing I can see is, if a county has two and three schools in it, then merge those together to make one high school unless the county is the size of Lex, Louisville, Pikeville, Bowling Green. No sense in small/middle sized counties having 2 and 3 high schools in it.

Corbin and Williamsburg should be feeder schools for Whitley County Confusednicker:
All this is going to do is fuel the onset of charter schools.
Unofficial copy of Kentucky House Bill 242.https://legiscan.com/KY/text/HB242/2018
When will we know if the bill passed? Big Grin
If I understand the post, schools would remain as is, but several school districts would operate with 1 superintendent. County's like Calloway, Graves, McCracken, Fulton all have independent school districts as well as county districts in the Purchase. You think the Civil War divided Kentucky.
blue55 Wrote:If I understand the post, schools would remain as is, but several school districts would operate with 1 superintendent. County's like Calloway, Graves, McCracken, Fulton all have independent school districts as well as county districts in the Purchase. You think the Civil War divided Kentucky.

A large amount of the counties have county and independent districts. Bell County has Middlesboro and Pineville. Whitley County has Corbin and Williamsburg.
pjdoug Wrote:When will we know if the bill passed? Big Grin

The year 2064 :poker face:
Pages: 1 2 3