Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New bill would merge independent and county districts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
pjdoug Wrote:The chosen schools are already shown favoritism Confusedtare:

True, and this will only make it worse. My best guess is that the new "leadership" of these super districts will be chosen from the admin that has done the best with their current schools. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. I think that the school I support has a lot to gain from this and I still don't think it's right because it takes options and jobs away from people. It won't hurt those in the administrations as much as people think. It will kick them back into the classroom and the ones who won't have jobs are the 25 year olds just out of college, and the non tenured teachers will be kicked to the curb. Yet, people wonder why the education system can't attract a high number of quality candidates.
So if you got these schools turning into Charter Schools, are they gonna be permitted to play in the KHSAA?
Khsaa lets the privates, don’t see why they wouldn’t allow the charters
Charters receive their funding from the county districts. Gonna be pretty hard to get a charter in rural KY.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Nope not going to happen, your a rebal and not in the clique.

You're right about that Smile
AnswertheBell Wrote:I have seen a lot of post not in favor. Why? What would happen if it did pass that everyone is so against?

They are skeered that the clicques will collapse Confusednicker:
Single Wing 77 Wrote:To my understanding, which is limited at best. An independent school is one that operated independent of the "counties" state funding. It receives its own state funding, but it is less than what a county school gets.
A private school is one that operated completely independent of state funding. They are primarily funded through fund raising and tuition. A charter school is one that has giuldines more similar to a private school but they receive state funding. They receive these state funds in return for tougher academic accountability. They must write their charter which is in line with their mission statement and adhere to it.

Charters don’t always have tougher academic accountability. In fact, charter school rigor has been largely problematic with the schools in question not requiring student attendance and teaching the state educational standards.
It is a myth that charter schools are more academically successful, and a shame that our state has fallen for it.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Charters receive their funding from the county districts. Gonna be pretty hard to get a charter in rural KY.

Might want to re google that, they receive money from county and state. What this means to southeastern ky, who ever controls it will fund there sports programs and not offer them at the other schools so kids can go to school wherever but play sports for one. If there is a charter school they will look better because they can have kids from anywhere attend and most mentioned earlier will have the funding to not miss a beat. It will make things hard on small schools like Lynn camp, Williamsburg, Middlesboro, Pineville, and B ville. Charter schools are also eligible for federal funding based on programs they offer, only real restriction is that they can set there own curriculum and won’t have any trouble as long as they enforce it.
The independent school districts would want to become charters before this bill would go into place, if it ever does. If this bill passes the "local" school board will no longer be in place to make that decision, like it currently is to vote on becoming or forming a charter.
This bill will never pass.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Might want to re google that, they receive money from county and state. What this means to southeastern ky, who ever controls it will fund there sports programs and not offer them at the other schools so kids can go to school wherever but play sports for one. If there is a charter school they will look better because they can have kids from anywhere attend and most mentioned earlier will have the funding to not miss a beat. It will make things hard on small schools like Lynn camp, Williamsburg, Middlesboro, Pineville, and B ville. Charter schools are also eligible for federal funding based on programs they offer, only real restriction is that they can set there own curriculum and won’t have any trouble as long as they enforce it.

Local districts designate the amount of money to the charter schools. These schools are contracted through the school board.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne...905421001/
Problem with this is that a whole lot of counties are going to have to build bigger schools to fit all of the students
wildcats fan Wrote:Problem with this is that a whole lot of counties are going to have to build bigger schools to fit all of the students

They will be able to afford it Confusednicker:
Single Wing 77 Wrote:All this is going to do is fuel the onset of charter schools.

Exactly what the Gov wants!
Cardfan1 Wrote:Local districts designate the amount of money to the charter schools. These schools are contracted through the school board.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne...905421001/

As public schools, charter schools are tuition-free. They are funded according to enrollment levels and receive public funds on a per pupil basis. In some states, such as Alaska, Colorado, Minnesota, and New Jersey, they receive less than 100% of the funds allocated to their traditional counterparts for school operations. In other states, such as California, additional funds or loans are made available to them. In most states, charters do not receive capital funds to support facility expenses. Charter schools are entitled to federal categorical funding for which their students are eligible, such as Title I and Special Education monies. Federal legislation provides grants to help charters to manage start-up costs.

This came from article I read, I copied and pasted it. It was from uncommon schools.org
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:As public schools, charter schools are tuition-free. They are funded according to enrollment levels and receive public funds on a per pupil basis. In some states, such as Alaska, Colorado, Minnesota, and New Jersey, they receive less than 100% of the funds allocated to their traditional counterparts for school operations. In other states, such as California, additional funds or loans are made available to them. In most states, charters do not receive capital funds to support facility expenses. Charter schools are entitled to federal categorical funding for which their students are eligible, such as Title I and Special Education monies. Federal legislation provides grants to help charters to manage start-up costs.

This came from article I read, I copied and pasted it. It was from uncommon schools.org

Nothing I’ve read makes me believe that charters are good option for schools that may struggle with solvency.
Huge mistake
Cardfan1 Wrote:Nothing I’ve read makes me believe that charters are good option for schools that may struggle with solvency.

I am not saying it is either just saying some schools have options if they don’t want to be part of the county.
Let the recruiting wars begin!!
I Rule The World Wrote:Pikeville Ind. Super makes 211,000 a year?? That's close to Jefferson and Fayette Super....

That is ridiculous....but good for them. 🙄😎
FoSho Wrote:That is ridiculous....but good for them. ����

Geez. $211,000...Exhibit A.

Stuff like this kills the platform of educators.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Geez. $211,000...Exhibit A.

Stuff like this kills the platform of educators.

Wow! I chose poorly when it came to picking a career!
Pages: 1 2 3