Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New bill would merge independent and county districts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
64SUR Wrote:The year 2064 :poker face:

The Governor is coming after your band wagon. lol
http://kentuckytoday.com/stories/bill-in...icts,11524

Looks like it will rid of any and all independant school systems. Creating "Mega Districts"
and cutting admin and teaching positions. This combined with the reallignment of football classes could be a major game changer.
Profit Wrote:http://kentuckytoday.com/stories/bill-in...icts,11524

Looks like it will rid of any and all independant school systems. Creating "Mega Districts"
and cutting admin and teaching positions. This combined with the reallignment of football classes could be a major game changer.

There will be lots of kicking and screaming to prevent this. lol
pjdoug Wrote:A large amount of the counties have county and independent districts. Bell County has Middlesboro and Pineville. Whitley County has Corbin and Williamsburg.

Corbin is its own countyConfusednicker:
Single Wing 77 Wrote:All this is going to do is fuel the onset of charter schools.

Absolutely the point. No telling how much money this yankee governor has invested into charter schools. He has got to make sure it all works.
Anyone who supports this needs to be shot.....from a cannon....into the sun.

Call this representative and tell him how stupid the idea is. In Kentucky, the public education is the largest employer. Decline in Coal Mining make Kentucky a useless state.

Independent Schools will continue to exist as Charter Schools. Just a ploy by idiot Bevin to make him look less dumb
pjdoug Wrote:There will be lots of kicking and screaming to prevent this. lol
No doubt but the truth is this is not about the athletics and I would venture a guess that football (athletics) is the last thing they are considering. This is about money (lack there of). I think some form of this will become reality sooner than later maybe not to that extreme though. Honestly, if I were in the independent school system, I would be very concerned.
Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland, Russell, Hazard, Corbin, Williamsburg, etc. Will all become charter schools if this bill passes.

Part of the charter school bill was that the local mayor and school board had to approve it/vote on it (could be vague interpretation but go with it).

There is no way these city Mayors and school board members of these Ind. Schools would vote against becoming a charter school in this scenario.
Explorer Wrote:Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland, Russell, Hazard, Corbin, Williamsburg, etc. Will all become charter schools if this bill passes.

Part of the charter school bill was that the local mayor and school board had to approve it/vote on it (could be vague interpretation but go with it).

There is no way these city Mayors and school board members of these Ind. Schools would vote against becoming a charter school in this scenario.

If this is the case that would mean any kid in that county could attend the charter or the county school, no boundary provisions. That could reduce enrollment into the county schools, and increase into charters. I know this is not for sports but financial issues but you could see these schools have pick of the county. This is confusing for me, may be job openings for recruiters lol. Whatever works best for the kids I don’t know enough about it to say it’s good or bad, hoping to gain a little knowledge from ole bluegrass rivals they have the best resources. Lol
Can someone explain the fundamental differences in Private Schools, Charter Schools and Independent Schools. I do know private is religion based. Other than that.....how does it change?
To my understanding, which is limited at best. An independent school is one that operated independent of the "counties" state funding. It receives its own state funding, but it is less than what a county school gets.
A private school is one that operated completely independent of state funding. They are primarily funded through fund raising and tuition. A charter school is one that has giuldines more similar to a private school but they receive state funding. They receive these state funds in return for tougher academic accountability. They must write their charter which is in line with their mission statement and adhere to it.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:To my understanding, which is limited at best. An independent school is one that operated independent of the "counties" state funding. It receives its own state funding, but it is less than what a county school gets.
A private school is one that operated completely independent of state funding. They are primarily funded through fund raising and tuition. A charter school is one that has giuldines more similar to a private school but they receive state funding. They receive these state funds in return for tougher academic accountability. They must write their charter which is in line with their mission statement and adhere to it.

I knew I would gain some knowledge here. So I was somewhat right,also kids don’t have to be within limits to attend because they fall under different guidelines. But if charter doesn’t offer a sport they can play at a county school, but the schools that was listed earlier all will have sports due to tradition with the exception of Williamsburg not sure what they will do.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:If this is the case that would mean any kid in that county could attend the charter or the county school, no boundary provisions. That could reduce enrollment into the county schools, and increase into charters. I know this is not for sports but financial issues but you could see these schools have pick of the county. This is confusing for me, may be job openings for recruiters lol. Whatever works best for the kids I don’t know enough about it to say it’s good or bad, hoping to gain a little knowledge from ole bluegrass rivals they have the best resources. Lol

This is exactly how it works now. Any kid in Greenup County can attend Raceland. Any kid in the state can technically attend Raceland, you just have to pay the tuition and parents need to get them to and from school without being truant. Zero difference if the Ind. converted to a charter. KHSAA would still have the same rules for transfers playing and nothing would be any different.
Predator/Prey Wrote:Can someone explain the fundamental differences in Private Schools, Charter Schools and Independent Schools. I do know private is religion based. Other than that.....how does it change?

This is the best I can do.

Funding
Public County School- Federal and state funding plus County taxes
Public Ind. School-Federal and state funding (much less than public county school) plus city taxes
Charter School-State funding (beyond that its still unclear)
Private-Tuition, donations, endowment (like colleges have)

Enrollment
County School- Must live in that county or in a county with a reciprocal agreement with neighboring county.
Ind. -If you live in the ind. school districts defined district you qualify to go to school there for free. If you do not live in that area, you pay tuition (usually low amount)
Charter-Must live in that county. Does not allow open enrollment.
Private-Anyone from anywhere as long as you got the $$$ and if school is parochial you meet whatever needs/expectations that come with it. Financial aid and scholarships are given as well. How many and how much, no clue.
Just eliminating independent school district superintendents would save the states would save the state about $7 million a year. That is based on their average salary being about $150k per year. I can only guess a lot more than that would be saved from the excess and overlapping administration positions that would occur.

To me it looks like it is a thinning of the fat cats at the local level. Why do Supers at independent school districts often times make more than the Supers at the larger school disticts that have multiple high school, middle schools, and elementary schools.

You will find their salaries on this website.

https://education.ky.gov/districts/FinRe...ation.aspx
Explorer Wrote:Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland, Russell, Hazard, Corbin, Williamsburg, etc. Will all become charter schools if this bill passes.

I think you are 100% correct. Pikeville, Hazard, Ashland, Corbin are some of the 1st in line to make this happen.
I'd also add Danville and mayfield to that list.

Do charter schools have to set up like a business and acquire private funding?
Strikeout King Wrote:If kids from different county school's can't get along in seperate schools or on the field/court, what makes them think they can get along in the same SCHOOL? Toby Herld is a moron

My understanding is that schools will not be affected by this, just the county or independent board office personnel (ex. superintendents).
I really hope this doesn’t happen.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:My understanding is that schools will not be affected by this, just the county or independent board office personnel (ex. superintendents).

As soon as it happens the "chosen" schools within these new districts will be shown favoritism.
jlow Wrote:Corbin is its own countyConfusednicker:

is it? lol
Friday Night Wrote:No doubt but the truth is this is not about the athletics and I would venture a guess that football (athletics) is the last thing they are considering. This is about money (lack there of). I think some form of this will become reality sooner than later maybe not to that extreme though. Honestly, if I were in the independent school system, I would be very concerned.

I don't know what will become of this, but I've been telling some of the Williamsburg fans over the last few years that they will soon become a Whitley County middle school Confusednicker:
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:If this is the case that would mean any kid in that county could attend the charter or the county school, no boundary provisions. That could reduce enrollment into the county schools, and increase into charters. I know this is not for sports but financial issues but you could see these schools have pick of the county. This is confusing for me, may be job openings for recruiters lol. Whatever works best for the kids I don’t know enough about it to say it’s good or bad, hoping to gain a little knowledge from ole bluegrass rivals they have the best resources. Lol

I want the job as recruiter for Whitley County :welcome:
Single Wing 77 Wrote:As soon as it happens the "chosen" schools within these new districts will be shown favoritism.

The chosen schools are already shown favoritism Confusedtare:
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:If i had to send a kid to greenup or russell i would home school!

Lol. Can you even spell GED
Pikeville Ind. Super makes 211,000 a year?? That's close to Jefferson and Fayette Super....
I have seen a lot of post not in favor. Why? What would happen if it did pass that everyone is so against?
pjdoug Wrote:I want the job as recruiter for Whitley County :welcome:

Nope not going to happen, your a rebal and not in the clique.
pjdoug Wrote:I don't know what will become of this, but I've been telling some of the Williamsburg fans over the last few years that they will soon become a Whitley County middle school Confusednicker:

I have talked to several parents since this has blown up, and the topic has came up. Most of the kids at Williamsburg came from Whitley and have a bad taste in there mouth and will drive to charter school Corbin before there kids go back to the county. Honestly not a joke or a poke this time, said Corbin or Jellico before they get in that mess.
Pages: 1 2 3